Should I buy trip insurance?

Seas_Please

+1 That might be the most important part of ANY Trip Insurance policy.

Money, luggage and lost time are all incredibly incidental when you are faced with a health situation.

I am just looking into MedJet Assist (as an aside they have for an extra $35 they will ship your motorcycle home. if you or IT becomes unable..a big benefit for us...US/Can/MEX). I was wondering though. If I was to be stricken on the ship I would still need evac coverage for this to an hospital then after that MedJet takes over to get me home if need be? Or do they also cover evac from ship. We are a new demographic now, one with Medicare, one with high deduct Ins. and the prices are blowing us away. Ah the joys of aging:rolleyes: Anyway, do I purchase Med Jet (yes for other reasons), but do I still opt for medical evac/medical coverage?

I am just looking into MedJet Assist (as an aside they have for an extra $35 they will ship your motorcycle home. if you or IT becomes unable..a big benefit for us...US/Can/MEX). I was wondering though. If I was to be stricken on the ship I would still need evac coverage for this to an hospital then after that MedJet takes over to get me home if need be? Or do they also cover evac from ship. We are a new demographic now, one with Medicare, one with high deduct Ins. and the prices are blowing us away. Ah the joys of aging:rolleyes: Anyway, do I purchase Med Jet (yes for other reasons), but do I still opt for medical evac/medical coverage?

Probably best to check with MedJet Assist directly (and get it in writing if the answer is yes to evac. from the ship).

We have them as well but haven't had to use them yet.

We do have minimal medical coverage one thru a Medigap policy and coverage after a high deduct on another. I would assume I would take secondary medical but wonder about evac

MedJetAssist covers you ONCE YOU ARE HOSPITALIZED (as an inpatient, not just the ER).

They do NOT cover the cost of that hospital care, nor do they cover any medical costs that might be incurred before being admitted.

They get you "back to the hospital of your choice" (probably one near your home, but you could choose a specialty hospital in a different location - your preference).

However, the cost on an annual basis (or short term, also) is not very much, for the potentially catastrophic costs they would cover.

That's "insurance" at its most fundamental: pooled premiums to cover low risk but high cost events.

GeezerCouple

MedJetAssist covers you ONCE YOU ARE HOSPITALIZED (as an inpatient, not just the ER).

They do NOT cover the cost of that hospital care, nor do they cover any medical costs that might be incurred before being admitted.

They get you "back to the hospital of your choice" (probably one near your home, but you could choose a specialty hospital in a different location - your preference).

However, the cost on an annual basis (or short term, also) is not very much, for the potentially catastrophic costs they would cover.

That's "insurance" at its most fundamental: pooled premiums to cover low risk but high cost events.

GeezerCouple

Thank you for your feedback. You were most correct as I contacted them and you got it word for word.:) Doing Medjet as this works for us domestically also. Will do secondary medical and evac and trip cancel w/ Travel Ins.

Thank you for your feedback. You were most correct as I contacted them and you got it word for word.:) Doing Medjet as this works for us domestically also. Will do secondary medical and evac and trip cancel w/ Travel Ins.

Deb,

don't forget that you can get travel/trip cancelation insurance with your Chase Sapphire or Explorer card that can save you lots of money (and get UR points as well).

Then you would only need secondary medical/evac insurance, which should be a lot less that the whole package (cancelation & medical).

Just FYI.

I'm late to the party but I will add that now that we are older we do get trip insurance. We didn't bother when we were younger, and we still don't bother if we're doing a trip on our own. (If we booked our own transportation and hotels there's rarely a need.) But if we're on a cruise or a tour (can't think of when we've done a tour but it could happen) we do get insurance.

We self insure for life insurance, for car insurance (i.e. we take high deductibles), and the like, but not for travel. I know there are several people here who do self insure in this connection, but if you haven't been doing so you could be out a lot of money if the worst happens. And it may take a while to build up the account.

When we were booked on a Renaissance cruise for January '02 -- which obviously we couldn't take -- the cruise line bellied up maybe a week before final payment was due, so we would only have been out the $500 deposit we had paid. Since we used American Express to pay the deposit, Amex DID return our money. But it took a while. (An email friend in the same situation had used Discover, although they had paid in full as I recall, and Discover did NOT refund the cost.)

It's not just in case something happens to you that will prevent your taking the trip, but also if a family member should fall ill and you need to cancel or leave the ship early. My husband and I are no longer in this situation but we were until a year ago, and that was enough reason for us to get trip insurance.

Mura

Your second paragraph talks about "self-insuring"... I have to ask, since nobody else has, everyone must know what that means...

What is self insuring????

My husband and I always purchase travel/cruise insurance especially since we've had to use it twice. Once because of medical issues and the other my mother's health. Since our health insurance won't cover us internationally, we also purchase just medical/evacuation insurance on independent trips. The cost for just medical is minor and well worth our piece of mind. It's one of those things that you hope you won't have to use it but comforting that it's there when you do.

In short it means willing and able to absorb any loss that might occur. The term "self-insurance" means you have sufficient funds on hand to be able to cover any expenses you incur.

In short it means willing and able to absorb any loss that might occur. The term "self-insurance" means you have sufficient funds on hand to be able to cover any expenses you incur.

Thanks for the clarification.

Are there states where you are not required to have auto insurance??

Subject to correction by someone who now lives there (we used to), I do not think Oregon requires auto insurance for a driver's license.

Neither does NY. But you have insurance if you OWN A CAR.

I suspect Oregon (and other states) are the same ...

I had a DL here in NY for a number of years after I sold my California car (1974), and then finally bought a new one in NY (1981). Having a DL without insurance was not a problem, but don't try to register a car if you do not have insurance. Worse yet, don't try to drive it without insurance.

Mura

Deb,

don't forget that you can get travel/trip cancelation insurance with your Chase Sapphire or Explorer card that can save you lots of money (and get UR points as well).

Then you would only need secondary medical/evac insurance, which should be a lot less that the whole package (cancelation & medical).

Just FYI.

Don't have chase...deposit due toorrow

Deb,

Just FYI.

if I signed up now, even though paying deposit tomorrow, can I take advantage of this if I pay the rest of cruise on Chase?

There are states or at least there used to be that had financial responsibility laws in that people had to have insurance or prove that they had the finances to cover the costs that insurance would otherwise cover.

Believe that the states had ways for people to set aside funds in the required amounts that had to remain available thus covering their financial responsibility requirements in order to get a license, car, renew registration, etc.

Just found at least 6 states that don't require Insurance and have varying methods for proving financial responsibility and not carrying auto insurance. Simply another way to self-insure

Edited by rallydave

Your second paragraph talks about "self-insuring"... I have to ask, since nobody else has, everyone must know what that means...

Here is the self-insurance information for Florida http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/frfaqself.html . Most websites consider this to be risky. After reading the information specific to your state, you can decide. Good luck:)

Edited by Travelcat2

if I signed up now, even though paying deposit tomorrow, can I take advantage of this if I pay the rest of cruise on Chase?

Thanks for the heads up Paul. Chase card in process (need to call in AM for certain particulars), told TA not to process itin yet. Will do MedJet as it makes sense to us both domestic and overseas. As you know we travel via motorcycle and that alone sort of says it all as far as MedJet goes. Why is it that I did not pick up on your "hints" re Chase? Just smack me now! Hope to see you both soon Deb

Thanks for the heads up Paul. Chase card in process (need to call in AM for certain particulars), told TA not to process itin yet. Will do MedJet as it makes sense to us both domestic and overseas. As you know we travel via motorcycle and that alone sort of says it all as far as MedJet goes. Why is it that I did not pick up on your "hints" re Chase? Just smack me now! Hope to see you both soon Deb

Deb, better later than never :D

Which Chase did you get - Sapphire preferred or the United Explorer?

I do hope our paths will cross again.

Paul

Don't have chase...deposit due toorrow

When I buy my trip insurance( either from insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com, I don't necessarily buy it right at the very time final payment is due.

You can buy it anytime. For example, if final payment is due on May 1st for the cruise, but I am yet to buy air for a few days, or weeks, I wait, till I have it all purchased, and THEN buy the trip insurance for the whole trip. You don't have to buy it when final payment is due.

Also, if for what ever reason, you decide you don't want the insurance, you can cancel it and get a refund. As long as you have't used any of its benefits and its cancelled before the trip starts.

FYI.

Hope this helps.

When I buy my trip insurance( either from insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com, I don't necessarily buy it right at the very time final payment is due.

You can buy it anytime. For example, if final payment is due on May 1st for the cruise, but I am yet to buy air for a few days, or weeks, I wait, till I have it all purchased, and THEN buy the trip insurance for the whole trip. You don't have to buy it when final payment is due.

Also, if for what ever reason, you decide you don't want the insurance, you can cancel it and get a refund. As long as you have't used any of its benefits and its cancelled before the trip starts.

FYI.

Hope this helps.

Although the knee jerk reaction would be to think that paying at the latest date possible would be the best thing, MANY people, particularly in this age group, also have to consider the "Pre-Existing Condition" policies of the Insurer.

Many policies that I have read give a more liberal interpretation IF the policy is purchased at the time of down payment.

Although the knee jerk reaction would be to think that paying at the latest date possible would be the best thing, MANY people, particularly in this age group, also have to consider the "Pre-Existing Condition" policies of the Insurer.

Many policies that I have read give a more liberal interpretation IF the policy is purchased at the time of down payment.

I agree. I probably should have stated at my age 51 and DH 52 with no prexisiting conditions, this works for us.

There are many policies to chose from, and going to the 2 sites I listed is a great place to start to research.

^^ This.

Two things to add...

First, most policies have a "window" of something like 10 - 21 days from the time you made the *first* payment (refundable or not for this specific part, usually) to then take out travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, as long as you are "able to travel" on the date you took out the insurance policy.

Some policies allow you to add coverage as you add non-refundable costs, so you do not have to "pay insurance for the entire trip" until you are actually making the payments.

Second, even for people who are younger and/or healthier than some of us here, IF you think you might want to cancel your trip or return home early if an immediate family member (older parent, child staying with relatives, etc.) gets sick (or worse), or an unrelated traveling companion, you might need to get the coverage within the same window, especially if the family member has any pre-existing conditions.

Don't forget: the insurance company will invoke those clauses to deny coverage if they can, so choose your policy carefully. If you (or a loved one or traveling companion) take high blood pressure medication, for example, and then have a heart attack or stroke, that underlying condition could be termed a related pre-existing condition.

There is a lot of "fine print", so we would suggest always speaking with someone who can offer a range of types of coverage, and find the one that meets your specific needs for the best cost.

Several different brokers have been mentioned in this forum.

We've used TripInsuranceStore.com, and others have named other companies whose services they like.

These brokers can offer you policies from a number of different insurance companies, so you have more choices.

If you read the "complaints" on the "Travel Insurance" part of CruiseCritic, most of it relates to "fine print" that wasn't understood or was ignored.

GeezerCouple

I get mine within a few days of making my deposit.

I use a company independent of the cruise line

On a recent cruise vacation, we were delayed coming home from London by about 14 hours due to the airline. The insurance picked up all means that day (family of 5%), a small amount of spending money, and a hotel when we arrived at our US airport. More than paid for my policy. And they paid out no problem, I only needed to send receipts and a letter from the airline confirming the delay

We never buy trip insurance. If we have to cancel a trip/cruise, it would mean that we are probably having far greater problems that make losing the cost of the cruise inconsequential.

Our thoughts exactly.

We have never bought insurance by self insuring we saved more than enough to cover the cost of any emergency cancellation.

Again, same as our thinking. We travel at least a dozen times a year. What we save by not buying cancellation insurance every single time more than adds up to what we would lose if/when we actually have to cancel a trip. And as pinot lover said, if we have to cancel we have bigger things to worry about!