Why buy cake?

Every cruise my sister and I say we're going to have a couple of those desserts, but we never do. But on our last cruise we got a dozen of the coffee shop cookies from the Players Club and they were so much better than room service or the buffet that we're definitely going to try out some of the other pastries.

Our family went on a cruise for my mother's 80th birthday and we ordered a bday cake for something special. We had gotten plates and utensils from room service ahead of time and hid them in a drawer. The cake was delivered to her room and we all sat out on the balcony and had a little bday party. She loved it and it didn't cost much. We had so much fun that we did the same thing the following year for my dad's 84th bday.

We have never ordered cake from the coffee shop as we are always too full. Every cruise I tell myself I am going to order cake at the coffee shop but am always so full.

I have ordered the chocolate cake from room service and it was absolutely luscious!

I have never bought it as I really don't need it, you know?

But on Fantasy a couple of years ago they served cake from the café at tea.

Oh my gosh, it was fabulous.

So my question is, why is it so much better than their regular cake?

I have noticed that the cakes on the lido look so much better than they taste.

Why is that?

I mean, I can bake a fabulous cake myself and there are only so many variables.

Better quality flour?

Eggs?

Butter instead of shortening?

Better quality chocolate instead of artificial?

Truthfully, if you use real ingredients, then the product should be better than what is on the lido.

But they are really pretty.

Perhaps Carnival's buyers should do a blindfold tasting.

And I don't like the chocolate ganache that Carnival uses on everything.

I don't know exactly what, but something is repellent about it.

I just can't figure out where to put more dessert into my schedule. Should I have it before or after my afternoon pizza?

Have it before, during, and after! LOL!:D

I love those desserts! We get something at least 3 or 4 times during our cruises. We also love the chocolate cake from room service and get that several times during the week. We have ordered cake before our cruise for a birthday celebration and it was delicious! Loved it! Can you tell I have a sweet tooth! LOL!:D

Anyone ever try the white chocolate cake? That would be me if I were to get one, but no one has mentioned it.

I haven't actually. I loooove white chocolate but they put a dark chocolate in the hard outside shell. And I don't like dark chocolate. It turns me away from it :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have never had anything but the mile high chocolate cake. OMG It is decedant. I make it last 2 days. They will give you a plate cover for it if you ask. After trying that I can't even eat the desserts on the buffet. And unless they have creme brulee I don't get dessert in the MDR either. One of these days I'll get around to trying a different dessert. They are truly works of art.

Gee thanks OP, now you have me craving that Chocolate cake ! ! ! !

On the first week of a B2B a few years ago we had our eye on the carrot cake. On the first day of the second week we got the first piece. Cafe desserts are far superior to MDR, and no comparison to most of the tasteless stuff on lido.

Keep the photos coming! I had assumed that these great desserts were like ones frequently found in cafés, ie. look better than taste. That's why I've never tried them before. Now it seems like they ARE as good as they look.

Will definitely try at least one onboard.