Oh happy day for anti_lounge chair hog

Beach1

It will never stop because rules are only rules when rules are enforced and the cruise lines do not enforce it. That is why people take on the matter themselves. Chairhogs are rude, inconsiderate, all about themselves people. Not that different from the slobs that walk out of restrooms without washing their hands, the pigs that grab rolls, cookies, etc with bare hands, and those that park at tables in the Windjammer for endless amounts of time. They are all cut from the same cloth.

I encourage everyone to step up and take on the chairhogs! Do it appropriately (do not destroy their property like the classless person that started this thread)...go get a pool attendant and don't settle for anything less than getting their towels removed.

It will never stop because rules are only rules when rules are enforced and the cruise lines do not enforce it. That is why people take on the matter themselves. Chairhogs are rude, inconsiderate, all about themselves people. Not that different from the slobs that walk out of restrooms without washing their hands, the pigs that grab rolls, cookies, etc with bare hands, and those that park at tables in the Windjammer for endless amounts of time. They are all cut from the same cloth.

I encourage everyone to step up and take on the chairhogs! Do it appropriately (do not destroy their property like the classless person that started this thread)...go get a pool attendant and don't settle for anything less than getting their towels removed.

I do not think it was the OP that destroyed (ripped out the last three pages of the book) someone's property. I believe it was another poster from AZ.

Step up and take on the chairhogs, hide behind the pool attendant. No backbone.

Well this was an interesting thread. I hate the chair hogging philosophy also but I've also never had the desire to sit right by the pool. I'm a deck above the pool person. I'm irritated to no end with chair hogs but I did notice on my last cruise that they seem to just really claim the pool areas. My personal opinion, which in retrospect has little to do with this thread is unless I'm going to be in the pool or have small kids in the pool, that is one of the most unattractive areas on the ship. I'm not saying the pools aren't attractive. I'm just saying that a pool is a pool and very common whereas the ocean is something different. I'm a water person to the core but I've never found anything all that special with RCL's pools. Now you throw in some BA water slides and/or a lazy river and that is a different story. That is what cruise ships really need. Lazy rivers. How awesome would it be to have a lazy river that goes around an entire deck?

I will say that out of my 2rcl trips so far the Solarium area was the worst for chair hogging. I have yet to ever find 2 lounges for my husband and I in that area if we don't go super early. It looks like those areas are much larger on the Allure so I'm looking forward to it.

Okay so in theory I think the tearing out pages out of someone's book is comical if it were in the movie or something but in real life I wouldn't do that. Okay rant over. I said nothing of importance

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

I was on this same sailing and unfortunately did not witness deck patrol clearing chairs except to pick up towels in the early evening. We saw tons of chair reserving that was not enforced. We usually sat in the H2O zone since it was easier to find a chair there (but not always). I like the 30 min flag warning! Hope that becomes new policy!

I ordered a Kyss Bag to leave on the chairs just so we can go to the Windjammer and not worry.

I bought artificial vomit to leave on my stuff that I leave on the chair. I've never had anyone move my vomit. A little water on top makes it look very realistic. :D

Well this was an interesting thread. I hate the chair hogging philosophy also but I've also never had the desire to sit right by the pool.
I'm with you here. It's too noisy and too many people (kids) running around right by the pools. But, they seem to be popular seats, and here I think is where the staff should be strict about the 30 minute rule.

I think they also need to be strict in the morning when people come out obviously to reserve chairs for after breakfast (or later). And to reserve chairs for multiple people. That's the intentionally rude crowd.

But if you're legitimately sitting out in a non-prime area, and then want to go hang out at the bar, or in the pool, or go have a 45-60 minute lunch, and fully intend to return to your seats, even after 30 minutes, then I DO NOT think they should move your stuff.

Edited by gordiej

At the risk of being rude...this is also reserving chairs. :D

If a particular spot is that important (I know some people NEED the sun and some like them in the shade) then why not eat in shifts? I mean, if you are on a cruise with someone, the odds are pretty good that you know them and spending some time apart won't kill you...heck, they may even welcome it. :eek:

I am in total agreement with you!

But if you're legitimately sitting out in a non-prime area, and then want to go hang out at the bar, or in the pool, or go have a 45-60 minute lunch, and fully intend to return to your seats, even after 30 minutes, then I DO NOT think they should move your stuff.

What about a 75 minute lunch? Hour and a half lunch and quick nap? Heck, on a sea day I could go play blackjack for 3 hours but intend to return to my chair. Where do YOU draw the line?

Bottom line: Chairs are for people actively using the pool deck. If you leave, other than a quick restroom break or to get a forgotten item, take your stuff. It's not YOUR chair and intending to return at a later time doesn't give you exclusive rights to the chair while you're not using it. :rolleyes:

I commented above on this but I can tell you...if someone took my stuff over a chair...my book, and ripped pages out of MY property, they might lose some of their own property...namely their teeth! I do not tolerate chair hogs...they are selfish and all about themselves...but to take a book, rip out pages...classless to say the least.

I find this somewhat comical. You complain about someone who damages someone else's property, but in the same, long sentence threaten to do the same - or worse?

I love reading some of these threads. People are entertaining.

What about a 75 minute lunch? Hour and a half lunch and quick nap? Heck, on a sea day I could go play blackjack for 3 hours but intend to return to my chair. Where do YOU draw the line?

Bottom line: Chairs are for people actively using the pool deck. If you leave, other than a quick restroom break or to get a forgotten item, take your stuff. It's not YOUR chair and intending to return at a later time doesn't give you exclusive rights to the chair while you're not using it. :rolleyes:

We need a like button!

Eric

Mrtallpaul... you are correct sir. That poster crossed the line with his statement about my backbone. Something I also do not tolerate. Clear enough?

Edited by DShock

Mrtallpaul... you are correct sir. That poster crossed the line with his statement about my backbone. Something I also do not tolerate. Clear enough?

I think your message was: it's 100% ok to be a jerk and do something wrong if someone else was a jerk and did something wrong to you.

Am I right?

I don't agree, but that's the basic concept of what you are saying.

Let's be real... 99% of chair hogs aren't in/out of the pool.
Absolutely, and anyone who's honest about it knows this. A chair with a damp, crumpled chair accompanied by a book, shoes and a bag . . . safe bet that person's somewhere on the pool deck. Several neatly folded towels on chairs in a row . . . those people are still in bed, in the buffet, or somewhere else.
I ordered a Kyss Bag to leave on the chairs just so we can go to the Windjammer and not worry.
That's one of the most rude, entitled ideas I've ever heard.
Disagree. You expect other people who want that un-used chair to hang around waiting for half an hour? That's a ridiculously long amount of time.

Well, you wouldn't have to search for it but you will find it on the ground if you leave it for more than 30 minutes and I needed a seat. I don't deal well with rude inconsiderate people.

Honestly, I really don't.
Bottom line: Chairs are for people actively using the pool deck.
Is that in the bible or something? :rolleyes:
If you leave, other than a quick restroom break or to get a forgotten item, take your stuff.
No, I'm not taking my stuff with me to the bar or the restaurant or sauna.
It's not YOUR chair and intending to return at a later time doesn't give you exclusive rights to the chair while you're not using it. :rolleyes:
Yes, it's my chair for the day, as long as I'm going to use it more than 50% of the time I have stuff on it. (That's in the bible.) It's not my fault if the cruise line doesn't have enough chaise lounges for its passengers. And frankly I've never been in a situation where you couldn't find chairs somewhere not more than a few minutes walk from the pool. So as long as there are other chairs, why do I need to schlep my stuff around? :rolleyes:

So as long as there are other chairs, why do I need to schlep my stuff around? :rolleyes:

Well, if you plan to vacate the chair for more than 30 minutes you really don't have a claim to the chair. If you plan to be gone longer than 30 minutes why not just take one of those other chairs that are so easy to find when you return?

The reality is, if you choose a chair in a densely packed area and disappear for more than 30 minutes SOMEONE is going to want it and get a deck attendant to remove your stuff. If you've selected a chair somewhere not where the masses want to be you probably won't encounter a problem.

Making up your own rules and claiming it is so and the way it is (bible? fan fiction anyways) isn't the correct answer either. The rules are clearly posted and not hard to understand.

I think most reasonable and responsible people would agree that, within reason, it’s OK to save chairs for a short period of time. And, it’s perfectly acceptable to use a towel, sunglasses, or a book as a seat saver while you step away to go to the bathroom, grab a quick bite or take a dip in the pool. No harm no foul. But, trying to save a chair while you take a three-hour siesta in your room or go play a game of Bingo is the epitome of being self-absorbed. Reserving or “hogging” a chair with no intent of actually using it anytime in the very near future is simply boorish and selfish behavior.

The fact of the matter is, all the chairs and towels belong to the cruise line and are made available to everyone on board. Most cruise lines have signage that clearly states that the “reserving” of chairs is forbidden. If you come across chairs that are obviously "reserved" simply ask the staff to remove the items. If someone comes back to claim the seat, calmly explain that the staff was collecting towels from the unoccupied chairs and when you sat down it was empty. There's really no need for any confrontation.

Finally, any personal property sitting on a chair is just that, someones property. Just because someone is totally clueless and classless doesn't give anyone the right to touch their stuff. And, taking pleasure in destroying or defacing someones property is not only childish, it's anti-social and totally pathetic.

Edited by AltarEgo

Honestly, I really don't.

Is that in the bible or something? :rolleyes:

No, I'm not taking my stuff with me to the bar or the restaurant or sauna.

Yes, it's my chair for the day, as long as I'm going to use it more than 50% of the time I have stuff on it. (That's in the bible.) It's not my fault if the cruise line doesn't have enough chaise lounges for its passengers. And frankly I've never been in a situation where you couldn't find chairs somewhere not more than a few minutes walk from the pool. So as long as there are other chairs, why do I need to schlep my stuff around? :rolleyes:

Yes, take your stuff to the bar, restaurant, and sauna! It's called a backpack? Don't go hang out at the bar and and have your spa treatments while saving your lounger for when you want to be back hours later

The last two cruises we've been on - Freedom March and April - the new policy is that there's no need to sign out a towel -- so now the problem gets bigger. People do not return towels - so there you come to get a chair and there are a couple of hundred chairs with towels slung over them. So What to Do?? I haven't removed towels from chairs I just kept looking for a chair without anything on it. Well after twenty minutes walking around 2 pool decks - I just leave my little bag and towel at the side of the pool (on the sitting area) go in for a swim and then move on. Kind of annoying - I don't like leaving my stuff on the only available spot on the upper deck where I can't keep an eye on it.

It will never end. We live in a time when people are self absorbed and feel entitled. We see that everywhere and its a fundamental problem in our country at present. Bottom line:

- unless Royal Caribbean actively enforces this rule things will never change

- its never appropriate to remove or mess with another persons personal possessions (towels are an exception so if its only towels go for it, remove them, use the chair)

- there will always be classless people on cruises...those that tear pages out of books, use restrooms and leave without washing, those that grad rolls/cookies, etc with bare hands.

Our upcoming cruise on Jewel is our first time on RCCL in years. We prefer Princess, Regent, and Celebrity for many reasons but one reason we stay loyal to Princess is the Sanctuary. It at least eliminates the chair hog issue altogether. Not sure how the VIP pool seating will work but we will see.