Livorno question

Noxequifans

When we soon visit Livorno we intend to walk around there ourselves. (I must add that we love Florence but will not go there this trip.)

I was wondering if a good shopping district (for gifts) is in walking distance from the pier. Also, is there a local shuttle ... I do not recall such in the past.

Thanks.

When we soon visit Livorno we intend to walk around there ourselves. (I must add that we love Florence but will not go there this trip.)

I was wondering if a good shopping district (for gifts) is in walking distance from the pier. Also, is there a local shuttle ... I do not recall such in the past.

Thanks.

That is what we chose to do last time we were there (been to Florence/Pisa many times). Have you thought about visiting Lucca and Puccini's house?

I believe there was a local shuttle to town in Livorno but don't expect too much there to see, do or shop. :)

When we visited Livorno on the Marina in 2012, we walked right off the ship, crossed the street and was in town. It's a small town with stores mainly for the local population. There was a good size market with local foods, yummy breads and pastries, fruit and produce, meat and fish. Not much in gifts and souvenirs.

yes the local market is pleasant but very busy

in the main street there is a supermarket as well

Livorno is just a getaway for Florence and Pisa

if you want something else you can take a train to Viareggio as well

When we visited Livorno on the Marina in 2012, we walked right off the ship, crossed the street and was in town. It's a small town with stores mainly for the local population. There was a good size market with local foods, yummy breads and pastries, fruit and produce, meat and fish. Not much in gifts and souvenirs.

We did the same. Livorno is not as grim as some make out. Having been to Florence, Pisa and Lucca on previous trips we enjoyed our day wandering around the markets and surrounding area.

I remember walking from the entrance to the port in Livorno up the main street. There are all sorts of shops on each side and a nice market area but - aside from shoes - no shops for anything that one would term "nice gifts". Livorno is very much a working town...

If I were you I would go to Lucca which is remarkable and has some lovely shops in the historic centre (inside the walls) also some decent restaurants and my all-time favourite knitwear shop Bellandi which is near the San Michaele church. You would find lovely gifts there.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember walking from the entrance to the port in Livorno up the main street. There are all sorts of shops on each side and a nice market area but - aside from shoes - no shops for anything that one would term "nice gifts". Livorno is very much a working town...

If I were you I would go to Lucca which is remarkable and has some lovely shops in the historic centre (inside the walls) also some decent restaurants and my all-time favourite knitwear shop Bellandi which is near the San Michaele church. You would find lovely gifts there.

I agree with you. Last July we have been on Riviera b2b twice in Livorno. The first time the ship was in a walking distance to the center. Just over a bridge. The second time Riviera docked in the working port and there was a shuttle bus to the place where all busses stop. From there you can take a bus to the train station very easy and you can take the train to Lucca via Pisa. Very, very easy and not expensive. Otherwise eat a nice ice-cream and drink Italian coffee and have a look into the hand bag shops at the main street.

Luca is where I plan to go in Oct. when we're on the Riviera.

I was going to say, have you gone by a ship's tour, or a private tour?

Now I see a third option, the train! Sounds like a great alternative for the very Mr. Do-It-Himself Mr. B. Any additional comments or suggestions from the oh-so-helpful cruise critics out there? Thx!

Stepping in here, even though you didn't ask ME.

We were there on Marina in Oct '11. Originally we were going to take the train to Lucca but then one of our members booked a private tour (we were three couples as I recall) and so we added a stop in Pisa first. It was a wonderful day.

Mura

Edited by Mura

Stepping in here, even though you didn't ask ME.

We were there on Marina in Oct '11. Originally we were going to take the train to Lucca but then one of our members booked a private tour (we were three couples as I recall) and so we added a stop in Pisa first. It was a wonderful day.

Mura

I meant to ask everybody! Thx for the feedback.

We've seen Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa and stayed two nights in Cinque Terra. We even visited Certaldo Alto. Luca will round it all out for us.

Loved all of the above. Each unique, each with something to recommend it.

Thx again, Mura!

--May

We've done all of those, too (did a land trip in May '05) but the cruise was the first chance we had to visit Pisa and Lucca.

These are all wonderful places to visit.

We stayed a few days in Pienza as a base for travels to Siena, etc., in a beautiful B&B. A great trip!

Mura

Recommend Lucca and Puccini's house, plus a $10 bike rental and ride around the top of the city walls. Stop at Pisa on the way.

Edited by JPR

I would not do an organized tour to Lucca--just take the train. It is one of the most magical (and manageable) towns in Italy. Wonderful shops and restaurants and the absence of cars within the walls makes it great for walking. Definitely recommend biking the walls--flat, clean path that will give you a view of the entire town. It's just wonderful.