First time cruiser - question about chair hogs

First time cruiser here so not sure if this is a silly question.

I've been reading a few posts about "lounge chair hogs" that wake up early and put a towel over a chair, I guess, and then don't come back for a while. Or people will claim a chair for an entire day and barely use it. I've read that Royal Caribbean doesn't always enforce their 30 minute rule. So my question is...if my fiance and I notice that the same chair has been sitting empty for a long time and RCI employees are not doing anything about it, what would happen if we just moved the towels and stuff off and claimed the chairs?

Has anyone tried this? Is this a huge no-no? Would the people come back in a rage? I mean really, we could just say that there is a 30 minute rule and they couldn't say anything about it, could they?

I'm just curious why I haven't read about anyone doing something like that.

As far as I am concerned, if the people have been gone for some period of time, dump the stuff on the deck and stretch out. Should they come back and give you a hard time, just point them to the 'deck patrol' person or tell them to call security for their complaint. It is a posted policy with signs posted that one can not "reserve" a chair, they will most likely just mumble a lot, take their stuff and wander off. Look at the episode as an educational experience for the violator....

If you see items inadvertanetly left by prior occupants, you can just take them to the lost and found desk or towel station. They will best be equipped to get the belongings to their owner.

Then enjoy the chair and relax. If the party returns, you can let them know where to find their lost items. Hopefully, they will have the courtesy to thank you for removing their items from the chair where they could get stolen, and returned them to the lost and found desk.

So far, while there have been some chairs "saved" by towels, we've never had a problem finding an empty lounger in a nice spot. You don't HAVE to be right next to the pool....as a matter of fact, up one deck gives you much more room to manuver! The loungers by the pool are so close together, you can't sit...you have to CLIMB into the lounger...very awkward.

Just look for an empty lounger....easier, and less confrontation! You're on vacation...why do you want all that angst?

Edited by cb at sea

So far, while there have been some chairs "saved" by towels, we've never had a problem finding an empty lounger in a nice spot. You don't HAVE to be right next to the pool....as a matter of fact, up one deck gives you much more room to manuver! The loungers by the pool are so close together, you can't sit...you have to CLIMB into the lounger...very awkward.

Just look for an empty lounger....easier, and less confrontation! You're on vacation...why do you want all that angst?

Agree. That's what I do. Crap the secret is out!

I've been reading a few posts about "lounge chair hogs" that wake up early and put a towel over a chair, I guess, and then don't come back for a while. Or people will claim a chair for an entire day and barely use it. I've read that Royal Caribbean doesn't always enforce their 30 minute rule. So my question is...if my fiance and I notice that the same chair has been sitting empty for a long time and RCI employees are not doing anything about it, what would happen if we just moved the towels and stuff off and claimed the chairs?

Has anyone tried this? Is this a huge no-no? Would the people come back in a rage? I mean really, we could just say that there is a 30 minute rule and they couldn't say anything about it, could they?

I would highly recommend you DO NOT touch others property. That's what pool/deck attendants get paid to do. Not worth the confrontation. Even on sea days there are plenty of lounge chairs to be had. I prefer the deck above the pool area. Nowhere as congested and a great bird’s eye view of the pool activities. Enjoy your Cruise.

Why don't you go on the cruise first before you go on offense about the chair policy.

It you walk around with you eyes open, look patiently, and ask politely, you will find a couple chairs available.

Don't go moving other people things.

I have seen it happen and the person who did it wound up butt first on the deck.....

If you see items inadvertanetly left by prior occupants, you can just take them to the lost and found desk or towel station. They will best be equipped to get the belongings to their owner.

Then enjoy the chair and relax. If the party returns, you can let them know where to find their lost items. Hopefully, they will have the courtesy to thank you for removing their items from the chair where they could get stolen, and returned them to the lost and found desk.

AGREE. And so well-stated!!

You can also point out to deck staff that the chair has not been occupied for 30+ minutes, and ask them to remove the items for you, to avoid any potential confrontation.

I do this all the time, and have never had any unpleasant encounters... because the people who left their stuff never came back! If they did, I would calmly remind them of the policy, and tell them that deck staff had removed their items to keep them safe.

I can't imagine ending up "butt first" on the deck for this behavior... if that happened, I would have security put the person in the brig for assault!!!!:eek: You can't knock someone down for following the posted rules of the ship; outrageous. (Maybe the person who moved the stuff was belligerent or rude, rather than calmly directing the person to the deck staff, but even so... physical attack is simply unacceptable.)

Also, frankly, by NOT taking those vacated-but-towel-covered loungers, you are ENCOURAGING more people to break the rules and "claim" them for excessive periods of time, because they never lose their spot! It's not about avoiding confrontation, it's just about following the rules.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd stake out a chair for myself first thing in the morning and keep it all day, too... why not? I never bother, because I follow the rules: namely, if a chair is left for more than 30 minutes, it is VACANT, and so I have never had a problem finding a chair at any time of day -- so no need to break the rules and "claim" a chair for myself for the whole day.

All that said, don't jump the gun and grab any old towel-covered seat... the person may be in the rest room, in the Windjammer grabbing a quick bite, or even in the pool!! Check with people nearby to see if they know whether the person will return soon, and make sure the lounge has indeed been vacant for a full 30 minutes before pouncing, er, calmly informing the deck staff that the individual has not returned and that their possessions had been left unguarded for over 30 minutes... then settle in and enjoy! -- just don't leave your own stuff for an hour while you go enjoy a leisurely lunch in the MDR, or the same thing may happen to you!!!

JMHO:)

Just back from a cruise on LOS and on sea days - by 9am- 95% of the chairs had towels on them but only about 5% were occupied by bodies. I saw people in pajamas coming up and claiming five chairs in a row for family members who didn't wander up until 10:30-11am. I did see "Deck Patrol" but never saw them remove any items from any chairs.

It was easier to find chairs on the second level but if you have children swimming in the pools, it's hard to keep an eye on them if your chair is on the second level back by the solarium :)

With so many passengers hogging, it's hard not to do the same. I was up early to claim my one chair, but I sat in it, drank my coffee, read my book and enjoyed the morning. I felt kind of sorry for the people who wandered up around 10am expecting to get a chair and literally everything was already taken on both levels.

I don't know what the solution is. I know I'm not going to spend my vacation staring at a lounge chair for 30 minutes trying to catch someone violating the rule, nor am I going to move someone's personal belongings (I may move just a towel though ;))

I can't imagine ending up "butt first" on the deck for this behavior... if that happened, I would have security put the person in the brig for assault!!!!:eek: You can't knock someone down for following the posted rules of the ship; outrageous. (Maybe the person who moved the stuff was belligerent or rude, rather than calmly directing the person to the deck staff, but even so... physical attack is simply unacceptable.)

Yes it happens, & security will not be there to protect you.

Or anything else. They don't really like to get involved or do anything.

And no you can't file "assault" charges.

I am just warning you. Be careful whose things you move and lounger you take....

Here's a sure fire method that will work in a situation where there are no chairs and you want one. Look for a chair that is obviously hogged - a neatly folded towel, a book or a hat are sure signs. Then remove the item holding the chair and place it safely on the floor. Take the chair and move it to a new location. If the Hog returns you get to sit on their chair and watch as they try and figure out where their chair went. Best thing is, no confrontation.

In reality though, I find that on RCI there's always a chair to be found somewhere so don't let this worry you. Carnival was really bad for the chair hogs but you'll find a chair on the Vision so no worries.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Why don't you go on the cruise first before you go on offense about the chair policy.

It you walk around with you eyes open, look patiently, and ask politely, you will find a couple chairs available.

Don't go moving other people things.

I have seen it happen and the person who did it wound up butt first on the deck.....

Yes it happens, & security will not be there to protect you.

Or anything else. They don't really like to get involved or do anything.

And no you can't file "assault" charges.

I am just warning you. Be careful whose things you move and lounger you take....

BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OP, you can ignore these posts. That's crazy talk.

Of course, asking about this before you go on your first cruise is perfectly fine. You are trying to learn all about your cruise before you leave. That's what CC is here for. You are doing exactly what a site like this has been created for and an informed cruiser is the best cruiser.

Except during peak times, and usually it is the worst on sea days, in the peak areas this isn't a massive problem. There are chair hogs and it is a very real problem. Don't get me wrong there. The ease of getting someone to help you is a great solution.

If you see chairs that look abandoned, ask a crew member to tag it. They aren't usually the most proactive folks MOST TIMES, but they are extremely good at being reactive. You ask, they will tag it. It won't be long until the chair is yours, if you are right about it being abandoned by a hog.

Despite what this poster replied... the alternate method is just to watch a seat for an extended period and turn those items into the towel booth as "lost." The OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE huge text warning of this poster might be indicative of a chair hog looking out for their own. It might just be a Nervous Nelly type.

Common sense plays into this. Obviously, having a crew member do it means no one can get grumpy with you. However, if I see dry towels sitting for an hour all by themselves on prime seats and no one even bothered to put the rest of their stuff (sunglasses, flip flops, a book, whatever) down with them. I just roll up the towel and turn it in! Someone must have lost it and I'm very, very, very helpful! I then helpfully help a poor unused chair to get some use.

I've had a couple of people insist (BTW... all occasions it was hours later) this was their chair and I've just shrugged and told them I didn't see any personal items on this chair. Towels aren't personal items, they are general ship items (even if you check them out) that I have no way to ID.

I've never had, nor have I seen, anyone who looked for a second like they were going to attack me with physical violence.

Physical violence would lead to security being involved. Anyone saying that security is going to side with a violent chair hog with a rage complex isn't being truthful or is delusional.

Ship policy is now changed - no signing up for towels anymore - although if you leave the ship with one they sign them up and you must return them.

We've been on two cruises in the last month and it's so hard to tell who has what chairs now because people just leave the towels on the chairs and go without any person items nearby.

So what do you do with something like that. I love the new policy but it's confusing when you walk around and see 90 % of the chairs, just with towels on them - do you take them off, or just keep looking???

Judging by how much RCCL rakes in for cabanas, I think they would do equally well offering a "Premium Deck Chair Package", where for $55/pp/per day you could reserve a chair in a prime location with your name on it!

(We actually do this when we go to Hilton Head, but it's no where near $55/day - the lifeguards set up a lounge chair and umbrella each morning with your name on it, and it sits there all day until the lifeguard towers close. you can come and go at your leisure :))

Ship policy is now changed - no signing up for towels anymore

We last went in December and still had the policy.

Some friends went in January and didn't have the policy.

Some other friends went in March and the policy was back.

At this point, I think the policy is schizophrenic.

If the chairs have only towels and no personal belongings, we assume the people are no longer interested in the chairs. We return the towels and use the chairs. We've never had a problem.

Now, if there were personal belongings, I wouldn't do anything.

We've never had a problem finding a chair but we are perfectly fine with the deck overlooking the pool.

Thirty minutes think you should wait a little longer,they could be in the pool.Also you should get a employee to move them.May be a little safer.:D

On sea days we prefer the upper deck overlooking the pool for the reason we can watch all the goings on including the belly flop contact. We have always found chairs on top. If you want to get up and walk around you are not climbing over people to get out of your chair.

Thanks for your comments everyone. :) I'm certainly not looking to be confrontational and would rather not move anyone's belongings. I would only do that if there were no chairs and it was clear that some had been sitting empty for a long time. And even then, I'd probably just talk to an employee first, as many of you suggested.

Sometimes you don't have to look to be confrontational, sometimes it finds you deserving or not ;) I had one guy get to the point I thought he was going to get violent, but about that time his wife pointed out that their seats were somewhere else.

Thirty minutes think you should wait a little longer,they could be in the pool.Also you should get a employee to move them.May be a little safer.:D

This is the best advice by far. Personally, I do not suffer fools gladly but it helps to have the cruise line on your side when dealing with the courtesy challenged.

lol :):)

We were on Liberty on the April 21st cruise and ran into the same issues!

First of all it was our 1st cruise so I dont have anything to compare it too but we are early risers so we would come outside around 8:00am with our coffee and bag and books for the day and most if not all chairs around the pool were taken. There were no bodies in the chairs just flip flops and towels. While it irritated me, I did not let it bother me because I was so thankful to be on vacation. We did not have children with us and could have used the next deck but for us, it is laying by the pool and jumping in often is what we enjoy.

I only saw the deck patrol remove towels once. I clapped :) Being a probation officer, I would never touch someone's property but I would not hesitate to ask deck patrol to remove it.

Ok but this is a true, sadly but true story to share about the Adult Pool. On the last day, I think everyone was out in full force using the pool and getting the most of the drink packages, what made me angry was the bunch of people drinking out of the glass Corona bottles in the pool, setting them all around the pool, being very careless and again NOT following the CLEARLY posted rules about glass not being in the pool. ANYWAY, so a few times deck patrol went around and told people to get rid of the glass and provided them with plastic cups. Here ya go....... the deck patrol told the young lady, "Excuse me, you are not allowed to have your glass bottle in the pool, here is a plastic cup, please put the beer in this cup" I swear, she took her glass bottle of beer and set the bottle inside the cup and continued drinking!! We about rolled off of our hard fought chairs!!!!

I LOVED our first cruise, I cant wait to return and as irritated as I got at the lack of respect people show, this story sums it up to me!! I learned to laugh it off! :eek:

Edited by Kimmy47