Princess Pre cruise hotels in Venice.

Kamloops50

I've stayed at the Hotel Saturnia a couple of times, most recently last October. It's a very old hotel with a tiny lobby, small rooms, odd staircases, tiny creaky elevator and lots of charm. We had a really bad experience there last October and I won't stay there again. It's a 5-10 minute walk to San Marco and very convenient.

There are small restaurants nearby that are reasonable. Don't remember the pricing but the further you walk from the Grand Canal, the less expensive.

We are booked on our first European/TA cruise for fall 2015 from Venice. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Bauer or Hotel Saturnia ?

What is the area like ?

General cost of meals?

There are SO MANY hotels in Venice....

I have stayed in several of them, but neither of these two...

But, one recent trip, I did stay fairly close to the Bauer...at the much smaller (and less expensive Anastasia)...The Bauer is a first class hotel all the way...but also very expensive...It puts you fairly near to the Piazza San Marco...but very far from the cruise pier...I trust the Princess package also includes transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to ship--and luggage handling...otherwise, this is an expensive and difficult process...

There are numerous restaurant choices in this area (and near the Saturnia--which is several blocks to the West--further from San Marco--and off the water)...but restaurants in this area tend to be VERY pricey...plus, they will charge you for just sitting down at a table, especially an outside table...and for bread, water, etc. There are more reasonably priced restaurant choices on the other side of San Marco, heading up toward Rialto...

There are typically two favorite areas of Venice in which to stay...1) here near San Marco, because it puts you very close to San Marco and the Doges' Palace and 2) near Piazzale Roma, because it puts you very close to the port (by Peoplemover) and the transportation hub with direct taxi and bus service to the airport...If you stay near P. Roma, it is still very easy to get to San Marco via the Vaporetti...Although I've stayed at San Marco, I've usually chosen to stay, on my own, near P. Roma--for the convenience...Also, near P. Roma, especially across the bridge by the RR Station heading up Lista d' Spagna in the direction of the Ghetto, there are a number of very reasonably priced restaurants with "Tourist Menus"--fixed price three course meals...and no service charges for outdoor tables...

If you do Venice on your own, rather than through a cruise line, you can usually sve a very large sum of money...and, with a little research, you can find great deals and easy/cheap transportation...There is a public express bus from the airport to P. Roma and it's 1 Euro per person for the Peoplemover from P. Roma to the ship...If you stay at San Marco, there are several water options directly from the airport to the Valaresso or San Marco Vaporetti stations--the problem is getting, with your luggage, from those boat stations to your hotel...nicer hotels that are on a canal often have a boat/luggage service to get you right to the hotel--but it does come with a cost...

Good luck...

First of all, let me say I am so jealous!! We did the Venice to FL TA in Fall of 2012 and it was the best vacation and cruise ever!!!

We spent three days in Venice prior to boarding the ship and loved every minute of it. We flew into Venice (from London), took the local bus to Piazzale Roma and we stayed at the Hotel Olimpia which was very close to Piazzale Roma. (Only one bridge to cross to get to the hotel.) The hotel is owned by Best Western but is more like a boutique hotel, right on one of the canals. Rate included breakfast each morning, which was plentiful, and we ate in the most beautiful courtyard behind the hotel. The staff were wonderful and made some great recommendations for dinner. The room was very large and the bathroom was modern.

We used the vaparettos to get around and there is a stop right in Piazzale Roma. One day we even walked back to the hotel from St. Mark's Square, stopping of course, for a delicious lunch on the way! And there is a nice market near the vaparatto stop to pick up snacks, soda, and wine.

Here's a great hint: There is a depot to leave your luggage at the Piazzale Roma. We packed what we needed for our 3 days in Venice in a carryon and left our two huge suitcases at the Luggage depot. The cost was minimal and well worth it. Even though it is not far from the P. Roma to the hotel and there is only one bridge, I wouldn't have wanted to carry two huge suitcases and our carry-ons. Since the People Mover (tram) is right next to the luggage depot, it was easy to pick up our luggage, get on the People Mover and be at the pier.

Just writing this makes me want to do it again!!! If you have any questions, you can email me...pklein9747 at gmail dot com Here is a link to our pictures from our trip: https://plus.google.com/photos/117783647048133018011/albums/5805675073501605089 There are some pictures of the Hotel Olimpia.

Pat

We are booked on our first European/TA cruise for fall 2015 from Venice. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Bauer or Hotel Saturnia ?

What is the area like ?

General cost of meals?

I loved the Hotel Saturnia, but it's been 8 years since I stayed there. It has a great location and is charming, old, and quirky.

I agree with the folks who stayed near PIazzale Roma. We stayed in the Hotel Arlechinno and it was great. Like they said, only one bridge to haul your luggage over. You can see it when you get off the bus. It is only one block from the main water taxi terminal and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) it is about two blocks from the CO-OP which is where you buy your wine. And!! It is only one block from the people mover that takes you over to the ship area. You can easily get o Saint Marks by Vaporetto from there.

Cheers, Kenn

PS, sail away from Venice is like no other in the world. amazing

Cheers, Kenn

I stayed at Hilton Molino last July. It is across the Giudecca canal away from the tourist areas. They have a free water shuttle to St. Marks and is so close to the port.

The Ali Laguna picks you up in front of the hotel and is non stop to the port. I think the cost for a one way ticket was only 4 or 5 euros. I was able to book my hotel for 199 euros plus the Ali Laguna tickets myself while the cruise line was charging 500 USD for the hotel and transfer.

A side note, I left over 1800 euros in my hotel room on accident and called the hotel to see if it had been turned in. Found out housekeeping found it and turned it in. All accounted for. A huge relief.

Great hotel, great views. Will stay again when I return.

THe Hilton Stucky Molino is an amazing hotel. It is where we stayed last time and where we will stay next time. As the previous poster said, they have a free water taxi to Zatere as well as St Mark's square. The Ali Laguna is one stop to the pier. Also, although it costs 25 euros per person, you can get an Ali Laguna Vaparetto from Marco Polo airport directly to the Hilton (almost the last stop with the last stop being the cruise ship pier) on the blue line. It is an unbelieveble experience as you get to see Venice from the water.

It is about .3 miles from the people mover to the check in entrance.

We had stayed at the Best Western Olimpia by Piazzale Roma and found it to be very nice and a great location. Like the Hotel Arlecchino, you do have to go up over a short stairs across one of the small canals. There is a great Gelato store under the Hotle Arlecchino called Polo Nord. It is about 1/4 mile from those hotels to the people over on the other side of the plaza.

Sent from my iPad

If you have never been to Venice and intend this to be your "one time" visit, do yourself a favour and disregard any advice but this one: Take the water taxi from the airport to your hotel (shared ones can be add for a reasonable price), book a hotel located directly on the Grand Canal with a water taxi dock and take a water taxi to the cruise port. This may cost you a bit more than staying elsewhere but I guarantee you will treasure the memories for the rest of your life. Venice is a wonderful place!

If you have never been to Venice and intend this to be your "one time" visit, do yourself a favour and disregard any advice but this one: Take the water taxi from the airport to your hotel (shared ones can be add for a reasonable price), book a hotel located directly on the Grand Canal with a water taxi dock and take a water taxi to the cruise port. This may cost you a bit more than staying elsewhere but I guarantee you will treasure the memories for the rest of your life. Venice is a wonderful place!

Hyperbole?

Wonderful, but, certainly not the only advice to take, disregarding all else...

The Grand Canal MAY be a nice location...it snakes through the entire city...there are a few nice hotels there...but, there are also many nice hotels elsewhere in Venice NOT on the Grand Canal...and many of these will be quite memorable as well...

A water taxi from the airport? Quite expensive...and unnecessary...Sure, it is convenient, but there are alternatives...A lot depends on which hotel you chose...If you stay at P. Roma, you can, quite simply and inexpensively, take a taxi or even a public bus directly from the airport. To other areas, such as San Marco or Valaresso, you can use the airport boat service from Alilaguna...Heck, one time, we stayed at the Carlton--right on the Grand Canal.--and got there by bus to P. Roma and a short walk...You can even arrive in Venice by train...the RR station is right on the Grand Canal near P. Roma...

From anywhere in Venice, going to the ship, you can catch a Vaporetto to P. Roma and use the Peoplemover...

There is nothing "magical" about water taxis except the high prices...

The memorable thing about Venice is the city itself, wandering around on your own, eating at outdoor tables in cafés on quaint piazzas...want a memorable trip by water down the Grand Canal? Just take the #1 Vaporetto the entire length from P. Roma to San Marco...

There are lots of memorable neighborhoods in Venice...and on neighboring islands as well, though I'd always recommend staying in Venice proper...And there's nothing special about springing for water taxis...there are lots of other ways to find yourself in a boat in the Venice Canals--including the Gondolas...or a short trip across the canal on a Traghetto--the cheap version of a Gondola experience!

Edited by Bruin Steve

For those of you that have taken the Peoplemover, once you're at the end near the ships, how far was the walk to board?

It's a bit of a hike. less than a half mile but it can be very warm hauling luggage. Last time they had a bus but it was so full and ran so seldom we beat our fellow travels by walking. They probably smelled better at the end though. if you're older or in ill health, wait for the bus. By the way. the People Mover entrance is on the far left hand side of Piazalle Roma. It takes one Euro coins (or it did two years ago).

Enjoy one of the great cities of Italy!

Cheers, Kenn

want a memorable trip by water down the Grand Canal? Just take the #1 Vaporetto the entire length from P. Roma to San Marco...

Or #2 Vaporetto. Same route, same great views, same price, but with less stops and thus half the amount of time.

I also stayed at the Hotel Olimpia in October 2012 before embarking the Ruby Princess, and found the hotel lovely and charming, the location great for it's proximity to the Piazzale Roma and the People Mover, and would definitely stay there again should the opportunity to do another T/A out of Venice. I was lucky enough to have a room on the 3rd floor at the front of the hotel, and had a delightful view out the window of the canal in front of the hotel. Not the Grand Canal, of course, but still ..... I was thrilled with the thought of just being IN Venice and looking out my hotel window at one of the many canals that Venice is so famous for.

I agree with the folks who stayed near PIazzale Roma. We stayed in the Hotel Arlechinno and it was great. Like they said, only one bridge to haul your luggage over. You can see it when you get off the bus. It is only one block from the main water taxi terminal and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) it is about two blocks from the CO-OP which is where you buy your wine. And!! It is only one block from the people mover that takes you over to the ship area. You can easily get o Saint Marks by Vaporetto from there.

Cheers, Kenn

PS, sail away from Venice is like no other in the world. amazing

Cheers, Kenn

We also stayed at the hotel Arlechinno, mainly because of the location. We used the vaparetto to get around but walked to most places. To get to the people mover with our luggage was rather easy. Then Princess did have a shuttle(free) from off the people mover to get to the ship as it was the furthest away from the exit of the people mover. The hotel was truly lovely with nice big rooms a large setee for your luggage and a great breakfast in the morning. One of our greatest thrills was being on the vaparetto watching the Royal Princess coming into port. We were very close to the ship. Wonderful memories.

We stayed two nights in Hotel Saturnia post cruise after an Ocean Princess cruise from Athens.

We did not book through Princess and went with a large room since their lowest price rooms are quite small. We liked the hotel and location. Included breakfast was good. The front desk staff was very helpful with dinner recommendations and reservations at reasonably priced restaurants and a sunset gondola ride. 6-8 people in each of a half dozen gondola traveling as a pack with one singer.

Transporting luggage in Venice is a challenge. We were lucky that Princess transferred the luggage from the dock to the hotel for a nominal charge and took us to San Marco. We did a water taxi from the hotel to the airport. The experience was worth the 100 euros.

I'm actually looking for specific experiences with the two hotels that Princess uses.

OK..but why pay Princess's prices to stay in Venice when it is so easy to book a hotel yourself and use those savings to buy some beautiful jewelry or glassware from Murano :)

Hi Jim & Lynne (LeavingOcalaAgain) and Mary Lou (Flamomo)! Reading these posts brings back all the wonderful memories of our fabulous TA cruise. I'm ready to do it again....maybe next year :)

Greetings, Pat! That WAS a fabulous cruise, and yes, I would love to do it again. We had some great times and wonderful tours. :):D:)

Hi Jim & Lynne (LeavingOcalaAgain) and Mary Lou (Flamomo)! Reading these posts brings back all the wonderful memories of our fabulous TA cruise. I'm ready to do it again....maybe next year :)

Hi Pat.

Lynne and I are doing the Ruby again in June for the British Isles. Hope to see you guys again on a future cruise.

Jim

Sent from my iPad

One more vote for Hotel Arlecchino! With the canal view overlooking the canal (open your window and four feet away!!) and a lovely breakfast it's a keeper! The proximity to the cruise terminal is KEY!

msk1

We have stayed at the Violino D'Oro 4 times. We realluy like this small Hotel. It is across from the Bauer, just a small canal apart. We have taxis both ways. From the airport to the Hotel and the Hotel to the ship. Princess take your luggage at the dock, so you only have to take your carry-on to the check.

There is a water taxi site. We pre- paid the fee before we left home. Internet prices are a lot better than waiting until you arrive to book transfer.

Venice is our favorite port. We are going back next year. You can never visit this megical city enough.

Pam