RX required to pack meds?

Marylandmomx5

I take a single prescription medication and a couple of OTC + vitamins daily. I'm planning to just put my daily meds in one of those pill boxes with the compartments for the days of the week. I have a few questions, though:

1. Do I need to worry about my meds being confiscated if they're not in the original bottle? (It's a huge bottle bc my dose is 3 pills per day and it's a 90-days supply. I don't want to have to pack it.)

2. If yes, can I just ask my Dr for a copy of my RX and have it with me?

3. Do I have to leave my OTC meds + vitamins in the original bottle from the store?

4. Will it make a difference if the meds are packed in my carryon or my checked bag?

My cruise is only 4 days long, so I really don't want to have to take a bunch of bulky bottles with me, but it would seriously irritate me to have my stuff confiscated. :confused:

If it makes a difference, I'm sailing on the Carnival Sensation.

Thanks!

I take a single prescription medication and a couple of OTC + vitamins daily. I'm planning to just put my daily meds in one of those pill boxes with the compartments for the days of the week. I have a few questions, though:

1. Do I need to worry about my meds being confiscated if they're not in the original bottle? (It's a huge bottle bc my dose is 3 pills per day and it's a 90-days supply. I don't want to have to pack it.) They are supposed to be in the original container, but I don't recall anyone ever taking away meds in the daily boxes.

2. If yes, can I just ask my Dr for a copy of my RX and have it with me? Always a good idea when travelling.

3. Do I have to leave my OTC meds + vitamins in the original bottle from the store?Same as #1

4. Will it make a difference if the meds are packed in my carryon or my checked bag?All meds should be carried in your carry-on, just in case your luggage is delayed getting to your cabin

My cruise is only 4 days long, so I really don't want to have to take a bunch of bulky bottles with me, but it would seriously irritate me to have my stuff confiscated. :confused:

Thanks!

Four days of a couple of pills in daily boxes won't raise any eyebrows. If you have a gallon baggie of pills, that might look suspicious to security. :p

You don't have to take the original bottles but I always do. Not so much because I fear confiscation but in the event of an emergency. If something happens to me and I cannot respond they have a "list of medictions" for the doctors. Besides, what if a flight is cancelled and it takes you a couple of extra days to get home? Will it be a problem if you do not take that medication?

If your Rx is something like cholesterol or blood pressure medication, you can just use the daily pill box - that's what I do. Generally no one will care about your pills. and if someone does, common prescription medications are easily identified (e.g., a white oval pill with a 40 on it is a generic cholesterol medicine) and no one will be interested in your Lipitor. But if your Rx is a controlled substance for something like a nervous conditiion you'll want to be able to demonstrate that you're the intended recipient of that medicine - the pill bottle with the original pharmacy label might be a good idea then.

Do you have to fly to or from port(s)?

You will probably be fine, but personally I would never assume that TSA is not going to be a problem. If we are flying in or out of another country I can't assume that I'm not breaking a law there either.

I carry my prescriptions in original bottles in my backpack along with the print out that comes with them.

Are you kidding? You may bring whatever you need, in whatever packaging/daily holders/bottles, etc....you want. If you are bringing MAJOR amounts of narcotics, have your prescription handy. Otherwise, no one cares or gives a hoot.

Are you kidding? You may bring whatever you need, in whatever packaging/daily holders/bottles, etc....you want. If you are bringing MAJOR amounts of narcotics, have your prescription handy. Otherwise, no one cares or gives a hoot.

No, no one is kidding. My husband was harassed by TSA folks over his meds in the days of the week containers. So please don't tell people that no one cares. One cranky, power hungry TSA person can ruin your day. I personally saw an older couple have their bags searched after a cruise, and they were being hassled by Customs because they had a Baggie filled with pills.

1. Do I need to worry about my meds being confiscated if they're not in the original bottle? (It's a huge bottle bc my dose is 3 pills per day and it's a 90-days supply. I don't want to have to pack it.)

2. If yes, can I just ask my Dr for a copy of my RX and have it with me?

3. Do I have to leave my OTC meds + vitamins in the original bottle from the store?

4. Will it make a difference if the meds are packed in my carryon or my checked bag?

Thanks!

If you want the straight answer, why not ask the people that set the rules. The following is direct from the TSA web site:

One of the more popular questions we get from travelers is: “Can I travel with my medication.” The answer is yes, with some qualifiers. Here are a few tips that you might find helpful.

You can bring your medication in pill or solid form in unlimited amounts as long as it is screened.

Medication in liquid form is allowed in carry-on bags in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the start of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container.

You can travel with your medication in both carry-on and checked baggage. It’s highly recommended you place these items in your carry-on in the event that you need immediate access.

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

Medication is usually screened by X-ray; however, if a passenger does not want a medication X-rayed, he or she may ask for an inspection instead. This request must be made before any items are sent through the X-ray tunnel.

For more information, you can contact:

The Contact Center hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m., Eastern time; weekends and federal holidays, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Eastern time. The TCC can be reached at 866-289-9673. Passengers can also reach out to the TSA Contact Center (TCC) with questions about TSA procedures, upcoming travel or to provide feedback or voice concerns.

Travelers or families of passengers with disabilities and medical conditions may call the TSA Cares helpline toll free 855-787-2227, 72 hours prior to traveling with any questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint. A TSA Cares helpline representative is available during all TSA Contact Center hours.

It has been our personal experience: Meds organized in pill caddies, not original containers. We take enough for the trip plus one additional week in case there is a travel delay. We also carry a list of the prescriptions in case we have a significant delay and need a refill.

We have never experienced and problems of any type. But having said that, we don't have any liquid meds nor do we have any "controlled substances".

Enjoy!

If you want the straight answer, why not ask the people that set the rules. The following is direct from the TSA web site:

One of the more popular questions we get from travelers is: “Can I travel with my medication.” The answer is yes, with some qualifiers. Here are a few tips that you might find helpful.

You can bring your medication in pill or solid form in unlimited amounts as long as it is screened.

Medication in liquid form is allowed in carry-on bags in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the start of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container.

You can travel with your medication in both carry-on and checked baggage. It’s highly recommended you place these items in your carry-on in the event that you need immediate access.

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

Medication is usually screened by X-ray; however, if a passenger does not want a medication X-rayed, he or she may ask for an inspection instead. This request must be made before any items are sent through the X-ray tunnel.

For more information, you can contact:

The Contact Center hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m., Eastern time; weekends and federal holidays, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Eastern time. The TCC can be reached at 866-289-9673. Passengers can also reach out to the TSA Contact Center (TCC) with questions about TSA procedures, upcoming travel or to provide feedback or voice concerns.

Travelers or families of passengers with disabilities and medical conditions may call the TSA Cares helpline toll free 855-787-2227, 72 hours prior to traveling with any questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint. A TSA Cares helpline representative is available during all TSA Contact Center hours.

It has been our personal experience: Meds organized in pill caddies, not original containers. We take enough for the trip plus one additional week in case there is a travel delay. We also carry a list of the prescriptions in case we have a significant delay and need a refill.

We have never experienced and problems of any type. But having said that, we don't have any liquid meds nor do we have any "controlled substances".

Enjoy!

Just ask your pharmacy to print some extra labels and arrange them on a sheet of paper to carry with your travel docs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My DH takes many medications -- some of them 2 and 3 times a day. When we are ready to cruise, I have our drug store make up smaller bottles with the appropriate labels on them. All of his medications are 90 day supplies as well -- but we have it on our record "No Large Bottles".

We have no choice but to fly and we have had TSA open the medical bag that I carry in my carry-on and examine the bottles. One time they even opened the bottles.

Never put medications in your checked luggage.

You didn't mention if you are flying or driving to the embarkation port. If you are driving to the port, then you can use those daily medication boxes as the cruise line does not check those items.

I am going to check my cruise carry-on when I fly. I know the TSA won't be a problem, as I've flown many times with my pills in the same case and no RX in my checked luggage. I just wasn't sure if cruise security would be any different.

I appreciate the suggestion about asking the pharmacy to print an extra label to keep handy. I may do that.

As far as delays returning home, I don't take meds that will cause problems if I miss for a day or two in case of a travel delay. No major narcotics here :D

Thanks again!

Four days of a couple of pills in daily boxes won't raise any eyebrows. If you have a gallon baggie of pills, that might look suspicious to security. :p

LOL, that's what DW uses to hold all of her pill bottles at home, but that's when she has them in their original containers. I swear she rattles after she takes her meds.

If you've signed up for your Pharmacy's loyalty/savings card program (most all have a program) you can usually go online and print a list of all your medications. Easy way to get a concise list to have just in case!!

If you have to go to a foreign country (ie Canada) to board, you WILL need to have them in original containers as their customs agents will confiscate them.

Before our first cruise last month, I called my pharmacy and asked them for empty small bottles with prescriptions on them of all my pills. I then used the pills from my big bottles. They also gave me blank bottles & labels for our OTC pills. Between the two of us we needed 20 bottles. We were on a 10 day trip. It worked out fine. I know most people will say the original bottles are not needed but I was just afraid that I would be an exception & would be searched. It's better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion.

If you have to go to a foreign country (ie Canada) to board, you WILL need to have them in original containers as their customs agents will confiscate them.

Sorry but you're wrong. Duplicate labels from pharmacies like CVS will also list the physical description of the pill/capsule including identifying characters.

I put the labels on the back of the month's supply daily dose holder and have never had a problem with any government or transportation official in any country to which I've been (including Canada).

Did someone actually take your drugs? I hope you had a word with his/her supervisor and then called your consulate.

I am going to check my cruise carry-on when I fly. I know the TSA won't be a problem, as I've flown many times with my pills in the same case and no RX in my checked luggage. I just wasn't sure if cruise security would be any different.

I appreciate the suggestion about asking the pharmacy to print an extra label to keep handy. I may do that.

As far as delays returning home, I don't take meds that will cause problems if I miss for a day or two in case of a travel delay. No major narcotics here :D

Thanks again!

Seriously? Do you consider heart, seizure and other life saving Rx meds "narcotics"? :rolleyes:

1. Do I need to worry about my meds being confiscated if they're not in the original bottle? (It's a huge bottle bc my dose is 3 pills per day and it's a 90-days supply. I don't want to have to pack it.) You can ask the pharmacy for a secondary bottle with a label on it and you can just change the number of pills in bottle with a pen. I do it all the time.

2. If yes, can I just ask my Dr for a copy of my RX and have it with me? I always carry a list of meds (over the counter and vitamins when I am traveling

4. Will it make a difference if the meds are packed in my carryon or my checked bag? You luggage could end up somewhere you are not and then you would be without your meds. Or they could disappear from your suitcase.

See above

The safest is to always take your meds in the original container with the prescription. It is the customs people who could be the problem when returning to the country. Once in a while some over zealous TSA employee becomes a jerk.

Dw had an episode when a customs officer decided to check the bags. She had Cholesterol pills cut in half not in a prescription bottle and you would have thought she had some real bad drug. We were threatened with jail and everything before he let us go.

SO just use the pill bottle with the prescription label for peace of mind an no hassle.