First Transatlantic - Air Question

custompcsys

I just booked my first transatlantic cruise on the Emerald Princess for October of 2015. Its the Spanish Passage cruise so we get 7 days visiting ports and then a 7 day crossing. Even though its a long way off I am really looking forward to it! :)

I realize its way too early to book air, but I was curious as to what folks have done. We will need one-way tickets, probably from Miami to Barcelona. Since we live in south Florida we won't need to fly anywhere when we dock in Ft. Lauderdale. Do you book on your own or do you book air through Princess for something like this? Wondering which would be the better deal as I have never booked air with Princess before.

Thanks! :)

This is one case that Princess' EZ Air is the best option. They usually have much better prices than you'd get thru Kayak, Travelocity, Expedia and the airlines' websites. The open jaw one-way flights can get really pricey, so it pays to shop the other options first, then once Princess releases their's, you have a good comparison of prices before booking.

Congrats on the cruise! Sounds like a good one!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
punc.

We have gotten air tickets both ways for Transatlantic crossings. Princess offers some good deals. Just price it both ways and take the better price. The good thing about using Princess is they will wait for you if there are any problems with airline delays..

Brownie9

One thing I forgot to ask....if we do end up using Princess air can we fly in a couple of days early or do you not get any say in flight selection? Thanks :)

yes, you can go in early. they also have pre and post cruise hotel stays but they're pricey. you have a lot of flight selection as to routing and airline. I have done both princess and booking flights on my own based on price.

I'm from Tampa and doing the maiden transatlantic on the Regal this Oct. I'll be flying into Venice 3 days early. The cheapest air I found was on the Princess site. It is flexible air and payment is due with final. I was able to book one way flights from Tampa and choose my seats. I either will do the shuttle bus or grab a Southwest flight back to Tampa. I also have your cruise booked for next Year, but I'm doing the 21 day from Rome to FLL including your segment.:)

Edited by Ethel5

We have gotten air tickets both ways for Transatlantic crossings. Princess offers some good deals. Just price it both ways and take the better price. The good thing about using Princess is they will wait for you if there are any problems with airline delays..

Not true.

They might wait a little bit, but the promise with PrincessAir is they will assist you in getting to the ship.

This could involve helping you change flights to the embarkation port or paying for your airfare to the first practical port of call.

Princess Air but on this occasion they even advised me to try my own which I have.If I had flown to the reach the ship I could have had a direct flight to London .Due to the fact I need to be there earlier to see my disabled sister they

could only offer me a change of planes flying down over the border and changing planes then my return end of cruise would be another change.

For the same price they offered I got direct flights in both directions making air trip much shorter booking on my own. Princess said sometimes the airlines like to keep the best routes for their own customers.

We just got back from the Emerald transatlantic. EVERY SITUATION WILL BE DIFFERENT SO SHOP AROUND. However in our case the flight to FLL and from Heathrow using Princess EZ Air was about a third of the price of the cheapest flight I could find on my own using multiple internet sites. The times were not what I would have chosen (getting into FLL after midnight and back home at 11:30pm). But each was only 1 plane change (the minimum for my hope airport). So for the price difference I could certainly live with the times.

I just booked my first transatlantic cruise on the Emerald Princess for October of 2015. Its the Spanish Passage cruise so we get 7 days visiting ports and then a 7 day crossing. Even though its a long way off I am really looking forward to it! :)

I realize its way too early to book air, but I was curious as to what folks have done. We will need one-way tickets, probably from Miami to Barcelona. Since we live in south Florida we won't need to fly anywhere when we dock in Ft. Lauderdale. Do you book on your own or do you book air through Princess for something like this? Wondering which would be the better deal as I have never booked air with Princess before.

Thanks! :)

EZ Air by Princess is the solution for sure. Last year we did the Crown TA from Southampton to FLL. We flew from Austin TX to London and back from FLL for $440. That's less than I spent recently to fly round trip to Minneapolis. It may be w=awhile before the flights become available though since its usually 330 days out before the show up. Enjoy what sounds like a great cruise. TA's are the way to go!!

Cheers, Kenn

We booked a R/T to London. We cruised from Fort Lauderdale on the Grand Princess transatlantic/British Isles in the spring and then flew home from London. In the Fall we flew to London and took the Queen Mary home.

The airfare was about $500 cheaper than a one way fare and we got to cruise twice!! ;)