What would make Regent better? French Press Coffee!

We have three Regent cruises under our belts and, after the first cruise, we purchased a "camping" French press coffee maker and brought along our own French roast. Yes, regular coffee on Regent is terrible. You can order specialty coffee or go to one of the DYI machines, but nothing beats a robust cup of coffee made in a French press. When we were in Cambodia, Sofitel served coffee each morning like this...it was a bit of heaven! Please, Regent, (if you read his) offer this option....pretty please?

We have three Regent cruises under our belts and, after the first cruise, we purchased a "camping" French press coffee maker and brought along our own French roast. Yes, regular coffee on Regent is terrible. You can order specialty coffee or go to one of the DYI machines, but nothing beats a robust cup of coffee made in a French press. When we were in Cambodia, Sofitel served coffee each morning like this...it was a bit of heaven! Please, Regent, (if you read his) offer this option....pretty please?

You are correct....Regent served coffee is horrible.

The self service machines make a better cup, but there is no excuse to serve the product they do and always have.

Unfortunately, IMO, Regent caters to the masses in the U.S. that like "coffee shop" coffee. My sister is one of those people. My DH makes one cup at a time coffee and it seems that no matter how weak he makes the coffee, it is too strong for her. There is the issue of the quality of Regent coffee. We like French roast as you do. I wonder if a lesser grade coffee would taste good - even if it were done in a French press coffee maker. When we are onboard, my DH uses the DYI machines and presses the "espresso" button once and then the regular "coffee". It seems to work for him. I am not a big coffee drinker but do enjoy French Coffee in the Coffee Connection.

Edited by Travelcat2

I totally agree - Regent coffee is not drinkable. I go to the espresso machine on the pool deck and make a triple espresso and carry it into breakfast. One day I met another woman doing the same thing. I said "I have a Nespresso machine at home..." and she said "so do I"!! So FDR if you are reading this - how about an industrial size Nespresso machine at all dining venues??

On Oceania the coffee served at the Terrace café is really quite good and their espressos etc are great. So why the difference?

So glad I hate coffee..,,I still need caffeine occasionally and I rely on sugar free redbull or diet coke when the need arises. But I do love a good chai latte from Starbucks on cold winter days

Is there a special coffee shop or something on Mariner? Does it cost extra?

I'm not sure if grandpa is picky about how his coffee tastes but I do know he prefers it HOT HOT HOT.

....Is there a special coffee shop or something on Mariner? Does it cost extra? ...

The Coffee Connection on deck 6 serves IMO the best coffee on board - the vending machine (no coins needed of course) there is also recommended by others but we've never tried it.

Unfortunately they also serve tempting pastries etc which we really don't need ......;)

Our suite will contain one of the Illy espresso makers. Do they make adequate coffee? I use a Keurig single cup machine at home, and I'm happy with what I get from it. If I use bottled water (and can figure out the Illy machine), will that be sufficient to get me started each morning?

We have tried all the coffee venues and machines on Regent. The coffee is invariably poor. The problem lies with the beans that Regent uses. Clearly a poor quality, but no doubt cheap. We complain forever, but so far to no avail.

The Illy coffee maker is for expresso. They provide the pods and little cups. In my opinion, this is not an adequate way to start the day. Nespresso would be better because you can at least make a lungo. I know, I know, I'm inflexible when I wake up, that's why, for us, it seemed simpler to bring our own grind and our own French press. Each morning I throw on something and go down to Coffee Connections to get hot water. On Navigator, the sweet woman at reception (night shift, I presume) hated to see me get my own water...she said to call her when I wake up and she'd have a pot of water sent up. Since I didn't want to disturb my sleeping husband, I declined this very nice gesture. And, yes, I think the problem is the quality of beans.

we have tried all the coffee venues and machines on regent. The coffee is invariably poor. The problem lies with the beans that regent uses. Clearly a poor quality, but no doubt cheap. We complain forever, but so far to no avail.

++++1

Do not disagree but it is what it is. I suppose you could cruise Oceania since they apparently have better coffee. The rare cups of cappuccino that I have isn't that bad. In the overall scheme of things, is poor coffee a reason to leave Regent? Really curious as to what long time customers think:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Do not disagree but it is what it is. I suppose you could cruise Oceania since they apparently have better coffee. The rare cups of cappuccino that I have isn't that bad. In the overall scheme of things, is poor coffee a reason to leave Regent? Really curious as to what long time customers think:)

I just don't get it...

This conversation is solely about coffee on Regent...has nothing to do with leaving Regent, etc.

Why can't we simply allow anyone to voice their opinions and leave it at that. What difference does it make if a comment comes from a long time customer?

Taste is a matter of opinion. Let it go...you don't always need the last word.

I just don't get it...

This conversation is solely about coffee on Regent...has nothing to do with leaving Regent, etc.

Why can't we simply allow anyone to voice their opinions and leave it at that. What difference does it make if a comment comes from a long time customer?

Taste is a matter of opinion. Let it go...you don't always need the last word.

I don't get it either. Why do you seem to enjoy arguing with me so much? My goodness, people can't have a conversation without an argument? Anyone can enter the discussion with whatever point of view that they have. It is a discussion. No one needs to put anyone else down for their views or questions. If you do not like my posts, ignore them. Things have been so calm lately....... would like to keep it that way.

Edited by Travelcat2

I don't get it either. Why do you seem to enjoy arguing with me so much? My goodness, people can't have a conversation without an argument? Anyone can enter the discussion with whatever point of view that they have. It is a discussion. No one needs to put anyone else down for their views or questions. If you do not like my posts, ignore them. Things have been so calm lately....... would like to keep it that way.

We fellow Regent cruisers might remember that what we share on Cruise Critic reflects who we are and how we think. We may very well come face-to-face with the same person we have engaged in next door cabins or at dinner in the future. It might be wise to not write anything here that you would NEVER say directly to the person.

We fellow Regent cruisers might remember that what we share on Cruise Critic reflects who we are and how we think. We may very well come face-to-face with the same person we have engaged in next door cabins or at dinner in the future. It might be wise to not write anything here that you would NEVER say directly to the person.

On the other hand, it has been my experience that meeting people onboard is helpful -- even if there has been conflict on Cruise Critic. While what we post on these boards does reflect who we are and how we think (to a very small extent IMO) the written word has no personality other than what the reader attaches to it.

I recall fondly when we cruised with OrpingtonT and his wife (may he rest in peace). Because of something he posted on CC, I choose not to attend the meet and greet. My DH attended and coincidentally sat next to Tom and immediately bonded with him. When we were introduced the next day we did not waste 1 second discussing Cruise Critic but did spend some time every day chatting. He was such a lovely man -- we were excited about cruising together again last year. Unfortunately, this was not to be. On the same cruise was someone also involved on the same thread and she walked away when Tom tried to introduce us. In that case it seemed that what she posted was who she was.

I do wonder why people get angry and spiteful on Cruise Critic. It really serves no purpose other than to create an atmosphere of discomfort on the Regent board. Being opinionated, I do make a great target and enjoy a good debate. Getting back to your post, although I am pretty much the opposite of my "Travelcat" persona in real life, I can honestly say that there is nothing that I have posted on Cruise Critic that I would not say to a person if they were standing in front of me (if the need arose -- and so far, it hasn't:-)

Oh no -- now this is totally off topic. I do agree that the quality of the coffee beans may not be what it should be. On the other hand, the tea, although good quality, has little taste unless you use 4 teabags. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat, I went back and read the entire thread and I don't see any reference to leaving Regent! My original post was to make a suggestion. And, after three Regent cruises, how many do you have to have before you are a long-time customer?

Travelcat, I went back and read the entire thread and I don't see any reference to leaving Regent! My original post was to make a suggestion. And, after three Regent cruises, how many do you have to have before you are a long-time customer?

I brought leaving Regent into the thread in order to determine how much the coffee on Regent had to do with the overall experience. One poster has left Regent for Oceania (Hambagahle) and mentioned that coffee on Oceania was better than Regent. Perhaps I should not have said what I did -- it certainly wasn't meant to cause a huge argument. You were kind enough to question the reference rather than attack me for it -- thank you!

You have also given me an opportunity to explain why my responses are different to "newbies" and long-time Regent customers. IMO, Regent has the best loyalty program of any luxury cruise line. The more cruises you take (or the more days on board that you have), the more benefits you become eligible for. Note: In the past, once you hit the 21 day mark and received internet, it was, IMO, a good reason to stay with Regent.

People who try Regent for the first time and find things about it that they don't like, they can easily decide not to return. However, once you have enough days accrued for free internet, some free phone usage, etc., you may think harder before leaving Regent for another cruise line. When you reach our level and also have free laundry and free deviation (one time per cruise), it would take something dramatic to make us change cruise lines (even though we dabble with Silversea and Oceania).

We all have our own reasons for staying with Regent (or not). I know some people that live their days for their coffee. I simply wondered if poor coffee would be a reason to leave Regent. Now, please - someone -- do a post after mine lest I be accused of wanting the last word. Actually, when someone quotes your post as has been done here, it is polite to respond (if the poster was not being unkind). So, it is not about having the last word but rather responding to a post.

Edited by Travelcat2

We bring our own loose Peet's tea (Lion Mountain Keemun) and little mesh tea bags onboard, and get very hot water and a teapot and brew our own tea.

We are tempted to bring the smallest and lightest of the Nespresso machines with us. We are going to try the Illy machine in our concierge verandah suite on the Navigator in October...

Jennifer, we did not like the illy machine made espresso coffee and put our suite's Nespresso machine under our bed during Voyager cruise a few years ago. The butler soon removed it. Hopeful for some French press made coffee tomorrow night..pretty please :)

Coffee is such a contentious issue as each country seems to have their own preferences. On our Circle South American cruise last year, Terry Breen the fab on board lecturer managed to source some Jacu coffee (I won't go into the true source; it can be Googled) @ $zillions per kilo - well maybe $250 a pound and considered one of the world's finest coffees. She raffled off a tasting in the Coffee Connection. People still complained it wasn't to their liking - and they had to have it watered down to Americano coffee.

Regent uses extremely well respected Illy coffee, but it's not really American style coffee - more Italian. We like Illy and buy it at home sometimes, but it's not ground on the ship for plungers (Australian for a French Press) but could be on demand; plungers require a fairly coarse grind. We were never really happy with Regent coffee even though we tried to 'groom' the Coffee Connection baristas.

Having said that, we were in South America and even off the ship we couldn't find a decent milk coffee anywhere. South America -"There's an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil"! But we live in a country where coffee is taken seriously and where Starbucks shut almost all their stores because they weren't up to scratch in the opinion of the local coffee savvy consumers.

I think Regent's coffee IS of high quality. The filter coffee in Compass Rose and room service is OK and clearly Arabica; Setti Mare will serve top quality espressos with hot milk if required when asked. Irena where are you?

An Illy pod machine will only deliver a high quality espresso, but it's not an all encompassing Nespresso machine. My only experience with Nespresso is at my hairdressers and despite my choices as to which coffee I'll have during my blow dry, I've yet to find anything to MY taste. And no George Clooney either.

My solution? Bodum or similar French Press/Plungers are cheap - maybe $25. Have a couple behind the Coffee Connection for in suite use and just get the guys to grind a small amount of beans just for you and add the water and give you milk frothed or not depending on your preference. How long you 'stew' the coffee before pressing the coffee is up to you.

The auto machines were very ordinary in my opinion, but again individual preferences differ so much. One day the Antipodean 'Flat White' will rule the world

Jackie - I have NOT "left Regent for Oceania" !! And I don't think you should assume I have, nor state it either.

For the moment, until Regent gets its new ship (and hopefully also some new itineraries) Ken and I have booked a cruise on Oceania. We are also on the list for the maiden voyage of the new Regent Explorer and if we like her we may well sail on her again. However it is fair to say that we are not cruising as often as we used to - simply because we are spending a great deal of time playing golf and want to go on doing so as long as we can...

But you have no reason to state that we have "left Regent". We haven't...

Gerry