Bermuda

Beaner38

My husband and I are considering a cruise to Bermuda in 2016. We have many questions, one being what is the best month for cruising in Bermuda? What did you like? Not like? Etc...

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Beaner38&date=4-6-2014&text=&ship=Norwegian Dawn

My husband and I are considering a cruise to Bermuda in 2016. We have many questions, one being what is the best month for cruising in Bermuda? What did you like? Not like? Etc...

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Beaner38&date=4-6-2014&text=&ship=Norwegian Dawn

We did breakaway in July and it was wonderful. Not too hot. The best part is being there for three days. Try to get an aft balcony on deck 9 amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Beaner,

Went for 3 days on the Breakaway last September..and the weather was perfect!

You might want to take a look and ask your questions regarding Bermuda on the ports of call section...here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

We went in August- rain and wind was awful! Cancelled excursions, thunder, lightening.

It was nice to be in a port for 3 days and not have to worry about getting back on the ship by a certain time each day.

Bus tour was very good, even though I had to sit through it with soaking wet clothes:eek:

We like going the last part of May (going for the second time in a couple of weeks (yeah !) -

Weather is very nice, not too hot - kids are not out of school yet - so not too crowded anywhere..

We are golfers - so weather in May is perfect..

We love the AFT suites -

My wife and I have sailed twice around the middle of the month. Both times it was a little cool over and back in open water. On the island it was perfect but again the water at Horseshoe was chilly.

We were actually thinking May sometime ... It's easier to find someone to stay with the kids during school year.

Have been there in April, May and September. Although the weather was beautiful all three times.....April and May, the beach was chilly and the water was absolutely FREEZING. September..it was heaven and the water was like bath water.

June is the best month here in Bermuda.:D

And for us, September is the worst month - high heat and humidity.:o

As for rain - it's crapshoot. It can happen anytime. One June we had rain 22 days of month, then other years little rain.;)

remember if you are not used to the heat and high humidity, best to come in May/June or Oct.

Have been there in April, May and September. Although the weather was beautiful all three times.....April and May, the beach was chilly and the water was absolutely FREEZING. September..it was heaven and the water was like bath water.

We went in May and hit the worse weather - it's a crap shoot no matter when you go. Yes, water was a little chilly in May. Last year we went the first part of Sept. It was beautiful, we played golf & went to beach. Water warm, aahhh!!!

We only cruise when the kids are in school. Just too crowded for us otherwise. :D

I enjoy Bermuda in June & July. Once when we went in late May, the weather was rainy, so there was little time for the beach. However, we did other things around the Island, such as the aquarium, zoo, perfumery, crystal caves, and of course shopping.

There is so much to do in Bermuda, no matter what the weather.

When we cruised there in June & July we had better beach weather, which is important to us.

We sailed the second week in June on the Breakaway and it was great weather. Plenty of things to do dockside(make sure you see the glass blowing), and do not miss a trip to the glass beach(very amazing ). Easy island to get around by bus and ferry, and the absolute most friendlest people I have ever met.

Safe sailing

We did Bermuda on the Breakaway last year.

Here's my thoughts:

1. We went in May and the weather was perfect. Not too hot, though it was a touch on the cool side if you're looking at beach weather. However it was a consistent 70-to low-80s for us.

2. We made a point of avoiding the big touristy beaches and opted for the small local beaches. They are more out of the way but WAY more tranquil. We took the pink bus and it was a snap getting there from the pier. Just make sure you buy a bus pass that covers you for a few days as soon as you get there (you can buy it at the pier)

3. Don't know if you play golf, but Bermuda lives up to its reputation for being a golfer's paradise. Keep in mind - many of Bermuda's world class courses are older/legacy courses - meaning they didn't landscape the terrain (but rather adapted course around natural surfaces like big rolling hills). That means it's not an ideal place for novices to play - unless you like walking around searching for all the lost balls

4. There's not a heap of things to do in Hamilton. St. George is a nice quaint historical town but I recommend taking the express ferry there from the pier to save time.

5. Not a huge fan of the mopeds. I've seen people get into accidents and many of the roads are pretty tight. Just be very careful if you're looking to rent one of those.

6. The pier is a good place to consider excursions that you won't need to book from NCL. The advantage of Bermuda is that you're in port for several days so you have time to evaluate local options.

Just a few of my thoughts, enjoy!

We have done cruises to Bermuda pretty much every year - two last year on breakaway. Our favorite time is mid to late September. Weather is still perfect. Water is warm. And to all you families out there, please do not take offense, but our kids are grown and we are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation - so September - when all the young kiddies are back in school, is perfect for us. if you have kids, you might want to go during summer vacation months so your kids will have more liklihood of meeting up with kids their own age etc

Terry

Thank you so much for all the helpful responses. In regards to kids we have 3 but we do not take them on cruises with us, that is our grown up vacation . I have no problem with other peoples children being on board however we prefer to go during school time as it's easier for grandma while watching them :)

My main point, which I didnt make all that clearly, was on a ship as large as breakaway, during school vacation time, there are hundreds and hundreds of children on board. Even though they may not bother you, i.e., are well behaved etc, certain activities and places that are attractive to young families become more crowded than usual, and it also sometimes becomes more difficult to find quiet relaxing places. So, for example, I find the bowling alley is way more utilyzed on ships with alot of children, as are the slides at the pool, the shuffleboard, the rope course and the mini golf course. It is all but impossible to get a seat in the atrium to watch a movie. The cirque de soliel type show books up more quickly with many large family tables. If those are not your kind of activities, it may not matter at all to you. In fact, we find it isn't an issue at all on smaller ships. But it does seem to be an issue on the larger ships.

Terry

And now I see you are from Boston (or I assume you are by your screen name) so you are probably looking at the Dawn or another smaller ship sailing out of Boston, making my comments completely lacking in relevance......

Terry

I would say I have a strong opinion on the subject....

I just missed you! I was cruise staff on the Majesty, Boston to Bermuda run in 1999!! I see you started sailing there in 2000. :)

I loved Bermuda. :) Really want to go back as pax.

Thank you Terry I appreciate all the info. I am actually from upstate Ny so NYC and Boston are both about 4-4.5 hrs from us. However are only other cruise we were on was on the dawn in April and we really enjoyed it:)