Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

What are your thoughts. Is price the only thing that Carnival should care or worry about?

In my opinion, yes. Carnival has its target audience and the lower prices combined with no real new designs or innovations keeps that audience as their clentele. RCI, NCL and whoever else can design away and that certainly will attract cruisers looking for certain things....like Broadway shows. If entertainment is a deciding factor, I do think Carnival is severely lacking. But if budget is a factor, Carnival still has its niche. If Carnival would just add better quality live entertainment and subtract more staterooms to improve crowding, I think their image would improve with more of the cruising public. But alas, that's not their model....nor does it really need to be.

As for the rest...hamburgers, popcorn, whatever...that's all chump change. Those little things don't make a cruise line. People tend to forget any one of us can cruise any line we want and to argue over stupid stuff like that is ridiculous. When it comes to those little things, every single mass market line out there has its pros and cons...including Carnival. Unless someone has cruised every single ship of every single line, they really can't make blanket statements.

By the way, Oasis and Allure do have decent, fresh grilled burgers in the Wipeout Cafe that are free. ;)

Maybe they have a better way of cooking and serving the free burgers on the Oasis and Allure but on the Navigator they cooked the patties and then put them under a heat lamp.

Granted if you got one soon after cooking they weren't bad but the longer they sat the harder they got.

My Flyboys are already ousted by the Rangers but in no way can I root for the the Rangers.;)

Bill

LOL, I feel the same way about the Flyers, although I used to think of them as the devil incarnate (70's timeframe). Time as they say, tempers all wounds.

I can imagine a burger sitting under a heat lamp for a while getting puck like:eek:

I wonder how many cruisers want all the extra amenities and activities, and how many just want a deck chair, a slushy drink, familiar food, and the opportunity to do nothing. For those people you can't beat the value of Carnival.

No..no..no..no...10000 times no...NOONE wants that....I've read that on here many times....not yet on this thread, but others like it. Regardless of cost you WANT malls and rock walls and roller coasters and bumper cars and rotating observation decks and 40 story high decks and so on and so on....No way do you want a modest cruise environment, views of the ocean that you share with loved ones and friends....while sipping on a favorite beverage....relaxing...rather you WANT go go go!! do do do!!..relaxing is what work is for!!!

I wonder how many cruisers want all the extra amenities and activities, and how many just want a deck chair, a slushy drink, familiar food, and the opportunity to do nothing. For those people you can't beat the value of Carnival.

Many individuals want to have a comfortable deck chair, buy a drink and spend the day reading. But isn't it nice to know that if you want, who do have other options.

Cruise ships, whether they are RCCL, Carnival, NCL are adding more and more optional perks. This is how they make money. But nobody forces one to have to buy these products. I do know that Guy's Bergers are free. But on RCCL and NCL you can also get a "free" hamburger. They just give you the option to go to restaurants like Johnny Rockets. Even Carnival is offering this new "optional" dining.

The choice is still yours.

All heated talk aside, cruise lines have much more similar than opposite. Royal certainly offers "more to do" and Carnival is more traditional (at least from a Carnival perspective or should I say FUN) experience. To some that is innovative, that is fine. What works for you or me may be alike or totally different. It's all about the choice.

Bumper cars aren't my thing, but they make use of a space that would otherwise go unused during the day. Plus they will pull kids off away from the pool to somewhere else on the boat, leaving more room for people who could prefer the pool deck over bumper cars.

Much like people assume that Oasis class boats would seem crowded, the reality is that the variety of things to do makes it seem less crowded than almost any other ship I have sailed. I'd rather have more multi-use areas on the boat than someone attempt to shove another 20 cabins in that space, which is what has happened both with Carnival and Royal during recent refits (didn't mention NCL simply because I wasn't sure if they ever added cabins during a refit).

I've been staying with Royal simply because I like their 16+ areas with dedicated pools, deck chairs, hot tubs, and bars. Nothing against Carnival (Platinum after all), other than some of the common complaints echoed in the boards from time to time.

RCI is wayyyyy more innovative than Carnival. Bumper Cars?!!!! WOW!!! What a great innovation.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Edited by JasonV1

In my opinion, yes. Carnival has its target audience and the lower prices combined with no real new designs or innovations keeps that audience as their clentele. RCI, NCL and whoever else can design away and that certainly will attract cruisers looking for certain things....like Broadway shows. If entertainment is a deciding factor, I do think Carnival is severely lacking. But if budget is a factor, Carnival still has its niche. If Carnival would just add better quality live entertainment and subtract more staterooms to improve crowding, I think their image would improve with more of the cruising public. But alas, that's not their model....nor does it really need to be.

As for the rest...hamburgers, popcorn, whatever...that's all chump change. Those little things don't make a cruise line. People tend to forget any one of us can cruise any line we want and to argue over stupid stuff like that is ridiculous. When it comes to those little things, every single mass market line out there has its pros and cons...including Carnival. Unless someone has cruised every single ship of every single line, they really can't make blanket statements.

By the way, Oasis and Allure do have decent, fresh grilled burgers in the Wipeout Cafe that are free. ;)

Even though Carnival was always a "Lower Price Cruise-Line" one could always count on the service in the MDR, the crew being friendly, the quality of the shows, and the quality of the foods.

Unfortunately based on the last few cruises we have had on Carnival, these "attributes' have declined in an attempt to be price concious. If Carnival would make a effort to go back "basics"... a good cruise with good food and good entertainment for a decent (not necessarily the lowest price all the time) it would go a long way to restoring its image.

Let's be honest, while unhealthy as can be the Guy's burgers are better than Johnny Rockets (and certainly better than the average plain grill hamburger), although Johnny Rockets does provide the full sit down experience with dessert.

As I understand it the only reason Royal charges for Johnny Rockets is to prevent the place from being used too much, which based on the lines for the Guy's burgers is probably a reasonable assumption.

If Royal would make their own crust their pizza would at least compare to that made by Carnival, as it is I think they use frozen (meh dough texture) and it just doesn't match up at all.

Both have an upscale burger, Royal you have to pay for Carnival you do not. I was ignoring nothing. I was making a point on my cruise experience. Any other points you want to debate, or do you want to ignore the rest of my post?;)

Both have an upscale burger, Royal you have to pay for Carnival you do not. I was ignoring nothing. I was making a point on my cruise experience. Any other points you want to debate, or do you want to ignore the rest of my post?;)

Fair point in regards to JR and Guys. I never had the free burger on my Allure cruise but did eat in JR twice. I do think NCL has the edge when it comes to free alternative dinning though. You simply can't beat the Blue Lagoon and O'Sheehans.

Im just glad we all have options. I for one got tired of what I view IMHO as the cheapening of the Carnival brand and decided to spend my vacation dollars else where. I'm glad I had that option as I fell in love with NCL. Now, if Carnival decided to as someone has mentioned going back to basic, to the things they were known for prior to lets say 2011 when a lot of these changes began to take place, they would get some (not all) of my business again.

Choices are great and there's a line for everyone!

I've gotten an email survey for every cruise I've taken so far. (and those have only been over the past 2 years, so it's hardly a thing of the past)

I like it better when the CD told me Carnival wanted to exceed my expectations. Call me old fashioned.

E-mail?

You're looking at this the wrong way. Those "amusement park" attractions draws people that like that kind a thing toward them. This leaves you in areas less crowded in the areas you like to be, other than your balcony.

I'm not looking at it the wrong way at all!! I have no desire to cruise on the mega ships with their land based attractions!! I like being on a cruise ship that still feels like a ship!!

Pat

I don't think Carnival is falling behind. They've made a conscious effort to get out of the "biggest ship" game. I don't think that's a problem.

It has nothing to do with the "biggest ship" game. NCL for example hasn't built anything close to the size of Oasis/Allure, yet find better use for open/wasted space by adding venues and amenities that guest enjoy. Entertainment is another example, NCL and RCI are adding big name entertainment to their ships (Blue Man Group, etc...) while Carnival is cutting back. For example Carnival has went from having a full show band, to using piped in music from recordings on newer ships, from quality entertainment to adding game shows. I pay a cruise line to entertain me, not have other guest provide it in the form of the main show for a particular night. In regards to entertainment, Carnival used to always lead the way, now imho the only edge they have is the comedy club. I much prefers Carnival's comedy club over NCL's Second City Comedy but thats the only thing Carnival has an edge in...the rest has been nothing but a degrading of the product all to save a dollar.

The first thing Carnival needs to do is divest themselves of the entire Fantasy class and then order 3 new ships. That would put them at a position fleet wise where they can charge more and in turn improve the product that they're selling.

Yea lets see carousel and bumper cars.....coming soon toothless carnies.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Huh maybe RCI should actually be called Carnival. It seems like they have more Carnival rides. Soon they will be really innovative and install the Zipper on the back of the ship. Maybe even a tilt a whirl.

Unlike many members here my cruising experience is limited to Carnival.

We chose CCL for departure port, itinery and price. Size and amenities on the ship were not a major consideration. I now consider the ship an intregal part of our cruise experience and the Carnival ships we have been on have met our needs. That being said, we will consider an Oasis style ship for our next cruise just to compare against CCL. As an aside - being the largest has never assured survival. :)

Yes they are. CCL newer ship are not that much smaller then NCL new ships. Just NCL has a lot more going on on there ships. 2.0 upgrades are a joke. Hamburger with different toppings WOW. Another bar WOW. There prices are lower than the other cruise lines YES it's a cruise YES are you getting less YES. I know that ok with some prople. But still the facts are the facts. They are falling behind. Like the sunshine. Reduce a 20 year old ship and used for another 20 years. You don't do that to your car. But that can do it with there ships.

Yes they are. CCL newer ship are not that much smaller then NCL new ships. Just NCL has a lot more going on on there ships. 2.0 upgrades are a joke. Hamburger with different toppings WOW. Another bar WOW. There prices are lower than the other cruise lines YES it's a cruise YES are you getting less YES. I know that ok with some prople. But still the facts are the facts. They are falling behind. Like the sunshine. Reduce a 20 year old ship and used for another 20 years. You don't do that to your car. But that can do it with there ships.

If that is what I was looking for I'd go to Vegas. Oh wait that's why I don't go to Vegas and go to Reno instead.

There are lot more good old things then there are good new things.

Except more times than not RCI and especially NCL are comparably priced as CCL. In fact my upcoming Getaway cruise cost us less than to go on the Conquest, Liberty, or Glory!