1st time Solo traveller to Europe - advice pls.

Hi, I've never been to Europe and thought this would be the best way to see it...especially alone. Has anyone (specifically females) ever done a Mediterranean cruise solo? I'm looking at the cruise that sales out of Barcelona, Spain. Any input would be appreciated. :)

P.S. I have cruised before but always with friends, never alone.

I have never cruised solo, but we have met many solo cruisers (generally at trivia, breakfast or seated with them for dinner) and nearly all seem to be having a good time.

I can tell you that I feel perfectly safe on my own in Barcelona (as well as in nearly every cruise port in the med--Athens and Napes are the only two places I can think of that I would probably not want to go out entirely alone so would either make friends to travel with or take an excursion (and they are both probably fine, but I do not like the vibe near port in either place and would worry ;) )

I am sure lots of people will have wonderful advice. I think it is a great idea and you will have a good time.

One thing, make sure your credit card is a "chip card." We had lots of problems on a cruise in 2012 because our credit cards did not have the chip - numerous places would not accept. We used ATM to get cash instead; fortunately had enough funds in checking accout without needing to contact our bank. A lot of people said they have not had a problem with this, but we definitely did and it was in multiple locations in more than one country.

Again, have a great cruise!

I did - my first Mediterranean cruise was solo. It was fabulous, and I met two other women traveling solo on my Roll Call (one of them was also seated at my dining table). I did a lot of do-it-yourself onshore because I generally don't like cruise line excursions (too many people, too little time to explore on your own, too much "now we're going to visit the carpet demonstration where people are going to try to push you to buy a carpet." But everybody has their own comfort level with solo excursions!

Ok so I'm not female, but I have sailed in Europe a few times. Even as a single guy there are places I don't feel comfortable on my own and in the big sites I'd rather have a few people looking out for me too, so for these I book the ship's excursions. However research your ports (I've just discovered the Port threads on here and they are full of great tips) as a lot of the smaller places are really easy to visit on your own. I would suggest breaking up the types of trips you do though. On my first med cruise I was on full day tours almost every day. I needed a holiday to recover. Now I save full days for the must sees, and also try to fit in something totally different like a wine tasting or boat trip to break it up a bit. As for travelling on your own, you only need to read these boards to know ships are full of friendly people, be friendly back and you'll meet lots of new friends (well that's been my experience). You'll have a great time & there's so much to see you'll have plenty of excuses to keep coming back!!

I think a lot of it depends on your personality. Do you have issues starting conversations with random people? If not you will love it. If you do it may not be your thing but only you can answer that. In my experience the bulk of the people on cruises are friendly and welcoming and its a great experience going solo.

I have not cruised solo to Med, but have been to the Med and really enjoyed it. Round trip from Barcelona.

My first trip out of the country was to London by myself and I met friends outside in some small village and toured together for awhile. No one wanted to go to Paris, so I went to Paris on my own since I never knew when I would get back. This was 30 years ago. BEST TRIP EVER.

Research your ports, be careful like anywhere else and have fun!!! Why pass up an opportunity if no one else wants to go?

I know this is a RCL BB, but for solos, I would recommend the Epic. They have solo studio rooms (no supplement for singles) and also a special lounge just for the studios. I have read that they have nightly get-togethers to eat dinner/tour, etc. We went on the Epic W. MEd this summer and it was very nice.

Hi...thanks for all the great tips.

I'm pretty social and have no problem talking to random people on ships...just this would be the first time going to Europe, so I'm a little nervous.

I would definitely be taking excursions in every port, as I wouldn't be that brave to venture off alone (at least not on my first solo trip) :) If anyone has any that they've experienced that they want to share, or ones to avoid, that would be great!!!

I'm looking at either the April 2015, Spain, France, Italy, or September 2015 - Greek Isles (which is what I'm leaning towards)...it just seems so far away, but I can't seem to find that exact itinerary that covers all the ports I want to see.

And something tells me there would be more solo travellers on the Greek Isles cruise than the Spain/France/Italy one.

Thanks for all the help! :)

I know this is a RCL BB, but for solos, I would recommend the Epic. They have solo studio rooms (no supplement for singles) and also a special lounge just for the studios. I have read that they have nightly get-togethers to eat dinner/tour, etc. We went on the Epic W. MEd this summer and it was very nice.

Thanks for this info, Elaine. I did look at the NCL, but I would much prefer an outside cabin to see the beautiful sites of Europe and the studio rooms on the Epic seemed a little claustraphobic. :(

I'm looking at either the April 2015, Spain, France, Italy, or September 2015 - Greek Isles (which is what I'm leaning towards)...it just seems so far away, but I can't seem to find that exact itinerary that covers all the ports I want to see.

I always choose the itinerary first & then the ship - you've got lots of great choices with the areas you've picked. I'm lucky enough to be going back to the E Med this summer, first week includes Athens and a few stops in Greek Islands & Turkey. 2nd week is the Adriatic including Croatia & Venice. I've been to half of the places before so know it's a good way to see a mix of cultures.

Since you've never been to Europe, I would pick the cruise for the ports. And stay longer before and after if you can. Also, get on the roll call for your cruise and see if you can join shore excursions with them. It's always worked for me.

I went on a transatlantic cruise solo last year. I picked a balcony in case I wanted some quiet, I could have sun. I met some great people at sailaway, and spent a lot of time with them. I am still glad I got my balcony.

I've traveled solo before, on tours knowing no one, but this was my first cruise solo.

I would do it again.

Dena

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you've never been to Europe, I would pick the cruise for the ports. And stay longer before and after if you can. Also, get on the roll call for your cruise and see if you can join shore excursions with them. It's always worked for me.

I went on a transatlantic cruise solo last year. I picked a balcony in case I wanted some quiet, I could have sun. I met some great people at sailaway, and spent a lot of time with them. I am still glad I got my balcony.

I've traveled solo before, on tours knowing no one, but this was my first cruise solo.

I would do it again.

Dena Sent from my iPad using Forums

[COLOR="Black"]That is the best advise. Roll call people almost always embrace the solo traveler and quickly make you a part of their family. I think you would do better to go with small groups who have hired driver/guide for each region. You will see more and be in a much better environment than on a bus. It always makes sense to me to attach myself to a few people who I know will look out for me under all conditions. Our group of 8 couples cruises Egypt a few years back. We were all in our late 60's. We did have the smarts to bring along 2 young 40 year old guys who absolutely dedicated themselves to looking out for us. One acted like the leader and the other acted like the herder. They kept us going for 14 days and we didn't even notice what they were up to until the last day or so. It was a wonderful, memorable vacation. I wish you the same good fortune. What I like about going solo is you are given a chance to make it or break it on your own. Attitude and flexibility plan an important roll in how things turn out.

Learning a few words in the current language is a good thing, too. [/color]

Ive travelled extensively solo and as a European I can say that all ports are safe - no cruise line goes anywhere near any unsafe place in Europe. You may feel uncomfortable in some cities as the culture is vastly different to that of the USA, but they are safe places. Pick pockets are the only thing to be aware of in Barcelona and across Italy - not the locals but generally Roma. Greece is as safe a place as anywhere. You're just as liable to be subject to crime at home than in any of the port destinations. Enjoy & take in the wonderful history. You will gave a ball no matter where you go

Haven't done Europe solo yet, but prefer solo vacas. Have had a couple of not so nice experiences when I first ventured out on my own. My advise is don't be bold in thinking nothing bad can happen to you. ALWAYS stay with a group. Never take a cab ride alone. Ever. Solo cruising is The Best Way To Go, However!!! Have a wonderful time!

• 2 months later...
Haven't done Europe solo yet, but prefer solo vacas. Have had a couple of not so nice experiences when I first ventured out on my own. My advise is don't be bold in thinking nothing bad can happen to you. ALWAYS stay with a group. Never take a cab ride alone. Ever. Solo cruising is The Best Way To Go, However!!! Have a wonderful time!

As someone who has traveled throughout Europe as a solo female over the last 30 years, I think this advice sounds a bit extreme. I am virtually never with a group when I travel. Only you can decide what safety measures are right for you, but in my opinion, there is no need to always stay with a group in most European cruise ports - though there's nothing wrong with doing so if that's what your comfort level dictates. My advice would be more like "don't take foolish risks, get a good map, and watch out for pickpockets."

My advice is to not keep all of your money in one spot. Have a waistbelt tucked into your pants and a little bag attached to your brastrap. Don't ever pull either out in public. You will be fine. I feel much safer in cities in Europe than in the US.

Thanks for this info, Elaine. I did look at the NCL, but I would much prefer an outside cabin to see the beautiful sites of Europe and the studio rooms on the Epic seemed a little claustraphobic. :(

I'm a solo traveller and I did the BCN - Venice cruise on Serenade in June. I had a blast! http://www.mickberry.co.uk/medven.htm

I also cruised on the Epic in January in the Caribbean. I looked at the studio rooms, but in the end I was able to get a balcony for the same price as an outside on RCL or Celebrity. My first balcony :) As a solo traveller, you can still use the studio club, although I have to confess I didn't. I did see the studio cabins on the cabin crawl though, and I'd have been happy in one of those too.

Hi, I've never been to Europe and thought this would be the best way to see it...especially alone. Has anyone (specifically females) ever done a Mediterranean cruise solo? I'm looking at the cruise that sales out of Barcelona, Spain. Any input would be appreciated. :)

P.S. I have cruised before but always with friends, never alone.

Hi

Have you checked out the Solo Cruisers Forum? There is great info there as well as a post for tracking solo "deals".

Good luck....traveling solo in Europe is great!!!!