Yorkeys Knob March 2015 on Solstice no possibility to see GBR

saracenman

Ships come down to Australia for our summer which is roughly October to April. Only Northern Australia is affected by cyclones and the wet season so really there's not much choice if completing a circumnavigation.

As an Australian it really concerns me about the expectations US visitors have of this cruise due to the following:

• It is the wet season, hot, humid and stormy
  • It is also cyclone season - strong possibility that anywhere on the northern route there will be a cyclone that will prevent at least one port being cancelled if not them all
  • Ports - Not that interesting IMO - we are doing it for the ship and a getaway not the Ports as we can do land tours 'any ol time'

Now this cruise would be fine for visitors who are combining it with land tours or are just wanting a taste of Australia but you would need to do a combination of smaller ships more in the middle of the year to really appreciate this area. They are on my bucket list but don't come cheap. Alternatively HAL's Volendam does a circumnavigation that is more interesting but again, costly due to it being a small ship with fewer verandahs and a longer trip.

It is something discussed extensively by Aussies, why do the big cruise companies insist on bringing their ships into northern Australian waters and the South Pacific in cyclone season.

Hello Elise

I generally concur with your thoughts, but I do have to say that we have done the Top End cruise twice, and neither time did we experience any cyclonic weather.

First time was in April 09, on board the Sun Princess. We left Sydney and visited Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Cooktown, Darwin, Kimberley Coast, Broome, Exmouth, Geraldton and then Freo. Fantastic itinerary, and we actually had a full Anzac Day ceremony on board. Pity in some ways that none of the cruise ships visit Cooktown any more.

Second time (last year) we were on Celebrity Solstice, departing Freo just after Valentines Day. This time we visited Pt Hedland, Bali, Darwin, Cairns, Brisbane and then Sydney. Only poor weather we had was during our visit to Brisbane where heavy rain put a dampener on a tour I had arranged. (Bne is my home town)

This itinerary was fine, (esp. the overnight in Bali), and I even enjoyed Pt Hedland although I don't think I need to go back there.

Of the two ships I prefer the Solstice (we are sailing on her again in Dec) but as the Sun P is only 65% the size of the bigger Solstice, she is able to go to more places like Geraldton and Broome. (Tides there are a big factor). Exmouth I could pass on, although the Migaloo Reef is outstanding.

The way I see it is that the cruise coys put these top end cruises on at the end of the Aust. Season so that they can get maximum bucks from their shorter 7 and 12 day cruises ex the East Coast.

Cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I often don't understand how the itineraries are selected, for instance why do the top end cruises go out of their way to stop at Bali? Nice as Bali is, it isn't Australia. The time taken could be more useful in other places, say the reef or overnight in Darwin to enable tours go further into that area.

I think Bali is required for "duty free" purchases etc, otherwise it would be an Australian only cruise with no duty free purchases available.

Same as Queensland coastal cruises sailing past Willis Island.

Edited by BrissyCruiser

Thank you everyone for your comments and I do take everything on board. What I found so galling is the decision taken by X to arrive at 12 which precludes a trip to GBR! As people have remarked X could have decided to arrive earlier to give an opportunity for everyone. Now we seem stymied and late arrival was not made clear at time of booking- In UK we call this Trade Descriptions!

Thank you everyone for your comments and I do take everything on board. What I found so galling is the decision taken by X to arrive at 12 which precludes a trip to GBR! As people have remarked X could have decided to arrive earlier to give an opportunity for everyone. Now we seem stymied and late arrival was not made clear at time of booking- In UK we call this Trade Descriptions!

I totally understand your disappointment and would feel exactly the same way. We did the trip on the same cruise as Flipper and booked before shore ex were published so would have been very annoyed not to get a GBR trip. And whilst it may not be your optimum travel season, we had very acceptable weather - after all in Brisbane you do hot rain!

Posters need to remember this is a UK guest, the generous cancel and walk away options are not available to us and to get a good airfare you have to book 11 months out.

I hope some timing compromise is sorted out - Flipper makes a very valid point re speed but a counter you could make to the cruiseline in any correspondence us lost revenue. The excursions to GBR were very popular (sold out). Two large boats went out to different pontoons so c300 bookings - at what profit?

I have just revisited Celebrity Solstice itineraries for 2014/16 and only twice does it circumnavigate from Perth to Sydney our date and equivalent cruise in 2016. Interestingly this cruise is scheduled to arrive at 07.00 to specifically arrive with enough time to see The GBR so why not in 2015 ? No logic - Go figure!

I am absolutely amazed that, in spite of numerous emails sent through to the

Global coordinator, I have still not had any further replies. Do X really want to upset their customers?

Perhaps they are thinking what we are thinking - that NOTHING will please you at this point. Dozens of people have explained the process of determining which ports and excursions will be offered, yet you still drum the very same negative beat over and over again. That you think you and your precious emails will force Celebrity into doing what YOU want them to do is quite amusing. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

Perhaps they are thinking what we are thinking - that NOTHING will please you at this point. Dozens of people have explained the process of determining which ports and excursions will be offered, yet you still drum the very same negative beat over and over again. That you think you and your precious emails will force Celebrity into doing what YOU want them to do is quite amusing. :rolleyes:

Why so upset that the OP is displeased with X and why don't you avoid the board instead of telling her to give it up if you find it tedious?

I believe along with others on this thread that what X has done is shoddy.

You obviously have not read the thread or you have failed to comprehend it .

All it takes to please her and I am sure a lot of other pax on this cruise is to set a better anchorage time.

On the Oceania thread a year ago they had a similar scheduling problem with a port and the CEO of the cruise line came on line and posted an apology and they rectified the port times. But I guess X does not care just as the OP stated as they are likely staffed by personal with your attitude.

X has the ability to correct this or they can post and explain why they are doing such a ridiculous anchorage. They did when pax were up set over blaring music on the ships.

Leave her to it.

Cheers

Edited by baldercash

Why so upset that the OP is displeased with X and why don't you avoid the board instead of telling her to give it up if you find it tedious?

I believe along with others on this thread that what X has done is shoddy.

You obviously have not read the thread or you have failed to comprehend it .

All it takes to please her and I am sure a lot of other pax on this cruise is to set a better anchorage time.

On the Oceania thread a year ago they had a similar scheduling problem with a port and the CEO of the cruise line came on line and posted an apology and they rectified the port times. But I guess X does not care just as the OP stated as they are likely staffed by personal with your attitude.

X has the ability to correct this or they can post and explain why they are doing such a ridiculous anchorage. They did when pax were up set over blaring music on the ships.

Leave her to it.

Cheers

Yours and the OP's posts on this thread remind me of one of my favorite novels, Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, with all the "tilting at windmills" you two are doing. :D

As others have explained, the reasons for any schedule or port of call are varied, and many out of the cruise line's control.

I guess I am a pragmatic person. If I don't like a product, I don't purchase it. This seems to work much better for my general happiness than to constantly whine and complain about how that product doesn't meet my needs and that the company MUST change the product to satisfy my desires. It is called taking personal responsibility for my own happiness.

Edited by boogs

In November, Eclipse is doing a transatlantic named "Broadway and Beaches" but the ship is in New York on Sunday night when theaters are closed. Do you think if I write a letter they will change the itinerary?mmif the just cross the ocean faster they can be there by Saturday night :rolleyes:

In November, Eclipse is doing a transatlantic named "Broadway and Beaches" but the ship is in New York on Sunday night when theaters are closed. Do you think if I write a letter they will change the itinerary?mmif the just cross the ocean faster they can be there by Saturday night :rolleyes:

Here you go. I think you can make a show.

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/110105-Weekly-Schedule-of-Current-Broadway-Shows

Hope this helps.

Theatre is just one of a million things to do in NY.

Yorkeys Knob is pretty much just about the GBR.

Big difference.

You can always visit a New York beach. I understand they are world famous as are the beaches in the South of England. I remember as a young fella swimming in Southampton England and watching the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth go up the harbour. When we got out we were covered in a fine oily film.

Edited by Beanb41

I am very pleased to advise you that I have received as very fulsome email from CEO's office and Celebrity will be looking very seriously at revising the timings!

Respect, Celebrity.

Edited by saracenman

How interesting! Celebrity often releases it's tours too late for important ports. A few times we put together private ones only to discover the ship had added something similar close to the sailing date.

Hope the cruise gives you enough time to see the GBR.

I am very pleased to advise you that I have received as very fulsome email from CEO's office and Celebrity will be looking very seriously at revising the timings!

Respect, Celebrity.

Glad to hear that and I guess that's a good response to all those who told you to either live with the problem or cancel the cruise! :D

How interesting! Celebrity often releases it's tours too late for important ports. A few times we put together private ones only to discover the ship had added something similar close to the sailing date.

Hope the cruise gives you enough time to see the GBR.

Aloha Sharie, long time since we have communicated! We too are booked on this cruise. Never in a million years thought that the Cairns port would be too late to see the GBR. We have written a letter to the president of Celebrity too. This was our main reason for booking this itinerary. Goodness! Shouldn't be this difficult.

We got an email from Celebrity for Rich's birthday today too so we responded that a great birthday gift would be to change the time of Cairns arrival. Hoping we get somewhere with this. We have already set up hotels and flights but also purchased insurance on those so we can still reconsider this itinerary.

Aloha

Cheryl & Rich hope all is well with you and your family:)

Respect, Celebrity.

Excellent. We did the GBR tour with Celebrity last year. Picked us up at the ship.

Hopefully they will change the time of Arrival now that you have brought it to upper managements eyes. Good for you.

Isabel

Edited by cruisinggran

Sorry, but Yorkeys Knob is not just for the GBR - it is also the port for Kuranda and the beautiful rainforest.

From Yorkeys Knob, you could only get as far as Green Island anyway on a daytrip from a ship, and that is certainly not the best of the Reef.

If you want to see the best of the Reef, you need to go to Port Douglas and spend a couple of days there

Or book a cruise that stops in Port Douglas.

Yorkeys Knob and Port Douglas are always a tricky proposition due to the weather. Many cruises have these calls cancelled, so you need to be prepared for that possibility

Sorry, but Yorkeys Knob is not just for the GBR - it is also the port for Kuranda and the beautiful rainforest.

From Yorkeys Knob, you could only get as far as Green Island anyway on a daytrip from a ship, and that is certainly not the best of the Reef.

If you want to see the best of the Reef, you need to go to Port Douglas and spend a couple of days there

Or book a cruise that stops in Port Douglas.

Yorkeys Knob and Port Douglas are always a tricky proposition due to the weather. Many cruises have these calls cancelled, so you need to be prepared for that possibility

Yes. That's true. But for overseas visitors the GBR is on their bucket list. We didn't go to Green Island but a moored pontoon from the ship. Of course it's not the best part of the reef but if a once in a lifetime trip to Australia then it's the best bet.

I'd hazard a guess to say most visitors from OS wouldn't think of Kuranda in place of the reef.