Breakfast on the ship-different than home?

lizjoemom

Alongside, breakfast is a cup of coffee before I head off to work. At sea for work, I have something more substantial, as I'm usually up around 2 hours before the galley opens. This trip will be my first as a passenger on an ocean liner, so I don't really know how I'm going to approach breakfast, since I'll be at sea, but not working. Yet another of my set of at-sea reflexes that will be going "WT*?"

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the Pride and changed my breakfast up a little this time. Most days I ordered 2 over easy eggs(really don't like the scrambled eggs on the buffet), some sausage or bacon and toast. The one day that we ate in the MDR I ordered my fav. poached eggs and corned beef hash, Carnival now has a sea day brunch and there are a ton of things to choose from.

Well, I don't know WHAT I was eating every morning for breakfast on our last cruise....I "thought' it was creamed rice...next to the prunes and the tinned peaches. But it wasn't creamed rice. It may have been cottage cheese. (looked like it)

Anyway, whatever it was, it went nicely with prunes, lol! (anyone know what it might have been?) :)

I dont eat breakfast at home as I am always rushing out the door...on occasion it will be toast/a banana if I am lucky.

On holiday/a cruise its whatever takes my fancy that morning...no set meal.

Sometimes it might be fruit and pastries and another day it might be fried eggs, sausage and bagels. Hubby likes to have 2 yoghurts and a bowl of cereal on the cruise which actually isnt too good as hes type 1.

The fact I am up early and on holiday is the only reason I eat breakfast.

We always have breakfast in our cabin. What we order depends on the menu. If we can get eggs we order them. If not, we order coffee, crossiants, fruit and coffee and pick up a order of eggs at the buffet and bring back to the cabin, to add to the Room Service order. Sometimes we write in eggs on the Room Service order and they are delivered even if not on the menu.

We keep breakfast simple and healthy. There are lots of options through out the day to go off ones healthy eating plan.

Alongside, breakfast is a cup of coffee before I head off to work. At sea for work, I have something more substantial, as I'm usually up around 2 hours before the galley opens. This trip will be my first as a passenger on an ocean liner, so I don't really know how I'm going to approach breakfast, since I'll be at sea, but not working. Yet another of my set of at-sea reflexes that will be going "WT*?"

I wondered the same thing before my first cruise and I must say that cruising is much like being a Chief again except I can have a beer when I want one instead of having to wait until we pull into port;).

What we love for breakfast is room service, especially in port days when we have an excursion planned. It's a wakeup call plus breakfast, and so wonderful to have hot coffee on a beautiful balcony overlooking the port or ocean. It's not always easy to get enough coffee...probably a sign I should cut back!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I wondered the same thing before my first cruise and I must say that cruising is much like being a Chief again except I can have a beer when I want one instead of having to wait until we pull into port;).

Damn, the USN must treat its Chiefs some nice! :-) In all seriousness, though, I hope it'll be better than that. Just having a window in my cabin - hell, having a cabin, not a rack ina messdeck - will be plenty good, and from what I've seen, there's lots to keep passengers happily occupied. I have already warned Herself, though, that I intend to try for a forenoon down in the spaces, swapping lies with the engineering watch. :)

Damn, the USN must treat its Chiefs some nice! :-) In all seriousness, though, I hope it'll be better than that. Just having a window in my cabin - hell, having a cabin, not a rack ina messdeck - will be plenty good, and from what I've seen, there's lots to keep passengers happily occupied. I have already warned Herself, though, that I intend to try for a forenoon down in the spaces, swapping lies with the engineering watch. :)

I would have done the same but they have a computer room, not a radio shack. As my signature says "it beats haze gray and underway any day".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm an early riser. So Room Service Coffee OJ and maybe some cold cereal around 6:30.

If I'm not of on an excursion then around 9 it's off to the Lido for Custom Omlet or Oatmeal Hash Browns and sausage or bacon. Oh Yes and maybe a Bloody Mary!

I would have done the same but they have a computer room, not a radio shack. As my signature says "it beats haze gray and underway any day".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Heh, not going to say that at the moment, since the wages Her Majesty pays me is payin' for the cruise. But yes - Cunard white-over-black will be more fun than the seasick green we insist on painting our ships and calling 'grey.' :) Ex-sparker, hm? Active duty amp tramp, here. If our paths cross sometime I'll be happy to stand you to a libation or two, and - of course! - an exchange of salty dips, while our respective better halves roll their eyes at us. :D

Edited by Jackytar

When I eat breakfast before school I usually just eat some frozen thing I just need to pop in the toaster or microwave from Walmart, since my mom isn't awake at that time (and even if she was she wouldn't cook for me). This goes for all meals except for lunch which I buy at school. So I'm always excited to eat REAL food when I go on a cruise. I usually eat everything at the breakfast buffet, I can't think of anything I wouldn't eat.

Heh, not going to say that at the moment, since the wages Her Majesty pays me is payin' for the cruise. But yes - Cunard white-over-black will be more fun than the seasick green we insist on painting our ships and calling 'grey.' :) Ex-sparker, hm? Active duty amp tramp, here. If our paths cross sometime I'll be happy to stand you to a libation or two, and - of course! - an exchange of salty dips, while our respective better halves roll their eyes at us. :D

Sounds good to me!

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, no real difference . . .

6:00 am

- <Me> "Morning Darling. I brought back OJ and warm doughnuts from the Cafe . . ."

- <Her> "Muurrgmpf." :confused:

6:30 am

- <knock, knock>

- <Me> "Yes?"

- <Steward> "Breakfast, sir ..."

- <Me> "Uh, OK. Just set the trays on the bed. " :)

7:00 am

- <knock, knock>

- <Me>"Yes?"

- <Steward> "Continental, sir ..."

- <Me> "Uh, OK. Thank you." ;)

7:30 am

- <knock, knock>

- <Me> "Yes?"

- <Steward> "Balcony Breakfast, sir ..."

- <Me> "Uh, OK." :o

8:00 am

- <Her> "Where are you going?"

- <Me> "Main Dining Room. Breakfast . . ."

- <Her> "Omg . . ." :cool:

9:00 am

- <Her> "Now where are you going?"

- <Me> "Lido. Buffet breakfast." :D

Hey, I paid for eighteen meals per day, and I'm gonna eat eighteen meals per day !

At home I usually just have muesli, toast or something relatively easy, on a cruise I eat more, if I hit the buffet I start with fruit, then some yoghurt, then if I'm up for it something hot like eggs and bacon, although I'm not a great fan of American bacon after having it for a couple of days, I find it too salty. Sometimes I'll have a couple of pastries instead.

I loved when we sailed in Aquaclass on Celebrity last year though as we ate in Blu most mornings and every time I had the Blu parfait with blueberries, yoghurt and granola.

I always eat a good breakfast on a cruise, with no difference if it's a sea day or a port day. It most closely resembles the full English breakfast: fried eggs, toast, roasted potatoes, mushrooms, and a mix of sausages and other meats I can find; all washed down with coffee. It helps me fuel up for the full day ahead. Unless, of course, I know I'll be eating a big early lunch. Then it's more of a French breakfast: a croissant with cheese, a chocolate pastry, and coffee.

I hardly ever eat smoked salmon at home. I eat it almost every morning on a cruise. I also get to eat a lot of fresh melon and pineapple. I frequently buy melons during the summer at home, but I don't buy them as often in the winter and spring. It's also a treat to get a variety instead of just one kind at a time.

The main difference for me is that breakfast on board is always with my DH (we never, ever, eat breakfast together at home -- he is up way too early, and does not eat breakfast at all on work days.) The other main difference is that breakfast on board is always room service. Although I sit on the sofa to eat it, it is the closest thing I ever have to "breakfast in bed." Coffee, croissants, smoked salmon, fruit is my preferred shipboard breakfast, although sometimes I also have bacon. At home, I never neglect the coffee, but am much more likely to have whole wheat toast or a couple of fried eggs, two whole wheat Eggo waffles, or a couple of slices of home made french toast. Unfortunately, no room service!

What we love for breakfast is room service, especially in port days when we have an excursion planned. It's a wakeup call plus breakfast, and so wonderful to have hot coffee on a beautiful balcony overlooking the port or ocean. It's not always easy to get enough coffee...probably a sign I should cut back!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

To make sure I get enough coffee with my room service breakfast, I order coffee for two -- my husband doesn't drink it, so I get the whole carafe. If we both wanted lots of coffee, I would probably order coffee for four or even more. I have found I have to "play it by ear" and see how much coffee I get on the first morning, then adjust my order accordingly.

It's just a shame cruise shop coffee is usually so bad!