Breakfast on the ship-different than home?

lizjoemom

I'm not saying it kills my day. I just find it incredible how much food some people can consume at breakfast time.

For some, such as those who live and work on a farm or a ranch, breakfast is their big meal of the day. Lunch, if they eat any, or dinner isn't quite so big. Now I'm not implying that you've been observing farmers or ranchers, but it's possible.

The people I'm talking about couldn't find the ships gym with a road map. ;)

And for those of you who burn a 1,000 calories before breakfast:rolleyes:....my guess is you're not banging back eggs, bacon, grits and French toast with a donut chaser.

It's no big deal. I was just commenting on how some people eat on these cruises. I hope to god it's different to how they eat at home. :eek:

You roll your eyes about people who burn calories yet imply that people eat too much and don't exercise? I guess there's nothing that could make you happy as far as what people eat. Perhaps ordering in to your cabin might be a better option for you.

For some, such as those who live and work on a farm or a ranch, breakfast is their big meal of the day. Lunch, if they eat any, or dinner isn't quite so big. Now I'm not implying that you've been observing farmers or ranchers, but it's possible.

This. I don't work on a ranch or do any sort of manual labor, but breakfast is my largest meal of the day and dinner is my smallest. Not eating a healthy and balanced breakfast is terrible for your metabolism, and can lead to weight gain.

You roll your eyes about people who burn calories yet imply that people eat too much and don't exercise? I guess there's nothing that could make you happy as far as what people eat. Perhaps ordering in to your cabin might be a better option for you.

Take it easy. 1,000 calorie burn is quite the workout.:eek: I'm duly impressed.

My hour spin class burns around 550.

That's what I'm saying! What workouts are you able to do before breakfast that burns 1000 cals?!

I typically burn about 700 calories power walking a 10K in 72 minutes. I then practice power yoga for 45 minutes which burns another 300 or so. End result is 1000 calories before breakfast.

I typically burn about 700 calories power walking a 10K in 72 minutes. I then practice power yoga for 45 minutes which burns another 300 or so. End result is 1000 calories before breakfast.

I just love the internet:rolleyes: LOL

See you at the buffet line:D

Home: Special K, cereal and a banana

Cruise: Special K, cereal and a banana

I too blow through at least 1000 calories in the morning in the gym 5 or 6 days a week, at home or on a cruise.

Overeating is not a cruise activity I choose to participate in as I always feel yucky when I eat too much. Changing my diet by eating greasy bacon, eggs, hash browns, etc. (which I have done) will keep me in the little room in my cabin longer than normal -- not fun.

Edited by snowskier

After my first couple of cruises, I quickly figured out that those big (unhealthy) breakfasts were a major contributor to my cruise weight gain. :eek: Now, I cut back to the sort of thing I have at home: cereal or yogurt, fresh fruit, and black coffee. We usually run up to the buffet and bring breakfast back to enjoy on the balcony. My "splurge" is an occasional bagel with lox and cream cheese. The exception to this rule is departure morning. We are usually looking at a long day, flying cross-country -- with very little access to edible (much less healthy) food. So, we always get up early on disembarkation day, and go to the MDR for omelets (or something similarly hearty). :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Home: Special K, cereal and a banana

Cruise: Special K, cereal and a banana

I too blow through at least 1000 calories in the morning in the gym 5 or 6 days a week, at home or on a cruise.

Overeating is not a cruise activity I choose to participate in as I always feel yucky when I eat too much. Changing my diet by eating greasy bacon, eggs, hash browns, etc. (which I have done) will keep me in the little room in my cabin longer than normal -- not fun.

Actually egg whites are the ideal source of protein, and won't cause the gastric distress that whole eggs can.

During the school year, I usually grab some pop tarts or cereal and take it to work with me. During the summer, I usually don't eat breakfast, but if I do, it's oatmeal or waffles...unless my boyfriend takes pity on me and cooks breakfast! :) On cruises, I usually get an omelet, some fruit, and a bagel or toast. I'm not a huge breakfast eater.

At home: I rotate through oatmeal, granola & yogurt & fruit, Special K (the one with pecans) and almond milk. Maybe once a month, I'll go to a local cafe and grab pancakes or a breakfast burrito.

Vacation (no distinction between land & cruise): the same thing, with maybe some muesli if available and absolutely fresh fruit. If I'm someplace with a great cheese selection, I'll try some. Add fruit juice.

The worst buffet offenders I've seen were in Rome at the Cavalieri hotel. It's a Waldorf Astoria hotel. It has an amazing breakfast buffet, maybe second only to the one I had at the Dan Tel Aviv. Well, this family of 4 from Pennsylvania (I had talked to one of the kids earlier) comes in and laid waste the the buffet. I think all the bacon was gone - piled inches high on the plate. Plates of nothing but the breakfast pastries… ugh. This family absolutely was one who didn't work on a farm and didn't hit the gym. To add to it, they were loud and rude to the servers. I was embarrassed to be an American at that point...

Because I have Celiac's Disease, many breakfast items are taboo. :(

So at home, breakfast is usually left overs from dinner the night before, or some scrambled eggs with veggies in it.

On a cruise, since I can't have leftovers, my favorite thing is corned beef hash with poached eggs. I will have that maybe two times. The rest of the time, I have 2 hard boiled eggs, and 3 pieces of bacon.

My DH and I usually eat very light for breakfast and lunch, so we can eat whatever we want at dinner. then we go and dance off dinner until the wee hours of the morning. Can't go to sleep with a full tummy. That will lead to full hips and bottom. :D;)

Just for fun-I was wondering what most folks do on the ship for breakfast as opposed to what they normally eat at home. Personally, at home I usually eat either cereal or oatmeal and then a yogurt or piece of cheese later, however, on a cruise all bets are off! I love to get the full Magilla, omelet, pastry or croissant sausage or sometimes egg benedict. Screws up my diet, but hey, it's only for a week!

What say you all?:)

At home, 5 days a week it is cereal and a piece of toast. Some Saturdays and Sundays -- eggs and bacon or I make scones.

Once on the ship, DH orders items that he knows I won't make at home. I treat myself to gooey roles, etc.

My husband usually has cereal on a cruise. When he was eating Cheerios he often couldn't find them the last morning so would get a box earlier and take it to the cabin for last morning. But, when a captain took us to his cabin what was on his bookshelf but 3 boxes of Cheerios! He told the captain he'd come get one of his boxes if they didn't have then in buffet last morning.

Another time we had breakfast with a different captain in the dining room. My husband had his Cheerios, I had eggs benedict and the captain, he had Rice Krispy's!

I am a bit fussy about my eggs (I just like they way *I* cook them). We have eggs only weekends at home and sometimes a vegetable omelet for dinner. D eats eggs or egg beaters on cruises more than I do. I like the muesli or granola cereal with yogurt and fruit, or sometimes the Benedict.

My weakness is the bagel/cream cheese/salmon spread. Can't get enough. I copied someone else's idea and had the salmon but with wholegrain or rye bread toast and cottage cheese instead of cream cheese. Nearly guilt free but still really salty ... Too much salt is a big problem for us on cruises.

Well said!

The only time I really notice is when someone fills a plate so full that food is falling off of it in the way to the table--at that point it does matter as it becomes a slip and fall safety hazard for the person behind them.

I'll also notice if someone orders or takes many servings worth if food,and then leaves it behind. I once saw a guy at the table next to me who had taken half a plate of something, take one bite, and decided they didn't like it. If they weren't sure, they should have taken a couple bites and gone back for more if they cared to. To me, wasting food is a far bigger sin than eating too much of it.

Edited by ducklite

At home I mostly eat egg beaters with some onion, pepper and ham scrambled into it, plus toast. Occasionally I will have cereal.

But on the weekends I make us a modified eggs benedict using a piece of toast, a slice of ham, a slice of tomato a piece of cheese and a fried egg, topped off with a drizzle of hollandaise sauce that I make from a package of Knorr's dry mix.

At home I drink a cup of coffee, a croissant and depending on the season, fruit. On a cruise ship I'll have coffee, a couple slices of bacon, croissant (if they have any) and fresh fruit. For some reason I just don't like cooking bacon at home.

Edited by lady_cruiser

At home I usually have either cereal, toast or eggs. On a cruise I like to have grits because I never get them at home. I have a small bowl of grits and some fruit although usually once I will have eggs benedick.

At lunch if we eat at the buffet I will put a small spoon of something on my plate in order to taste it. That way if I don't like it I haven't wasted a lot. Somethings look and sound better than they taste.

tigercat