Do you intentionally leave things behind on the ship?

If you actually want to throw something away like a torn bathing suit, don't just toss it into your trashcan. Our cabin steward pulled it out and had it carefully folded on the counter.

The next day, I threw it in the other trashcan and put some papers and things on top of it. Once again, it was pulled out and left neatly folded.

Finally, I stuck it in a bag and threw it away in a public restroom. :D

LuLu

Not everyone leaves behind stuff that has turned to crap. What's wrong with leaving behind or offering a perfectly usable item? Should I throw out my once read magazine instead of offering for the crew?

Please don't turn this into a tipping thread. No one has once mentioned leaving any item behind intentionally in lieu of a tip. This is about items that are too useful to discard but do not want to travel with for any number of reasons.

You're absolutely correct!!! I've left behind good salon shampoo(like $20 a bottle) because I didn't want it to leak in my luggage. The staff was very appreciative. Many don't have things like this in their countries. They were also amazed by the crystal light packets to put in water. They had never seen anything like that. I would take a few to dinner each night to give to the wait staff. I've never left clothing but if I did, it wouldn't be crap because I don't take my crap on a cruise. I agree that this has nothing to do with tipping. I always leave extra tips.

My boyfriend wears an undershirt every day, even under other T-Shirts. He is also a boxer guy vs. briefs.

He always packs his "more" used shirts and boxers on vacation. He throws them away each day. The undershirts are more than fine to wear, although I wouldn't think anyone would want used boxers, where more than likely the elastic is wearing thin. Ick. Anyway, he "leaves" the t-shirts and boxers behind, in the trash, to make room for our inevitable souvenirs in the suit case. After a 7 day cruise + pre/post stay, 8-9 T-shirts really do leave a lot of extra room for new shirts from port! I have wondered if the room stewards thinks it is odd to see a pair of boxers and t-shirt in the trash each morning. LOL.

As far as items left behind intended for others, I used to leave the coupon booklets behind (either in the safe, a drawer, or the room service menu). That is really no more.

I've also left sunscreen and other items that I don't want to leak in my suitcase on the plane ride home, usually purchased once we got to port. Items like that, I typically put in the trash too. I guess if the room steward wanted to take any of it, I'm fine with that. If I were at home, I wouldn't waste it, but then again, I opened it up brand new.

I agree with your BF -- I call it bringing disposable clothes....underwear or bathing suits or shorts. Typically on a cruise I will bring my oldest gym shorts and a few old t-shirts to wear in the gym with the intention of throwing them out rather than bringing them home....same with some underwear, and even sometimes bathing suits. Last summer I brought a pair of jeans, that I had no intention of bringing home....the find there way to the trash by the last day of the cruise. I don't expect anyone to be using them afterwards, including myself.

I have left behind articles of clothing or shoes that maybe someone could get some wear out of yet, but I no longer wanted and didn't want to pack again. I figured the stateroom attendant could either keep, pass along, or toss.

What your dirty undies?

I'm really not sure that the staff would appreciate someone's discarded clothing and shoes etc any more than they are likely to appreciate the tacky trinkets that some cruisers seem to think they should be grateful for. In my experience, a decent tip is the best thing you can leave.

If I leave something behind intentionally, it's because I don't want to take it home. I put it in the bin. I wouldn't leave it as a "gift" for anyone.

Agree. Often for me it is done with the intent of throwing it away.

I have left behind articles of clothing or shoes that maybe someone could get some wear out of yet, but I no longer wanted and didn't want to pack again. I figured the stateroom attendant could either keep, pass along, or toss.

What, your dirty undies?

I must say, your mind goes in strange directions. :rolleyes:

Edited by CntPAcruiser

I try not to leave things behind, but on my last cruise on Celebrity, I went to store my empty suitcase under the bed and I found 2 boxes of unused condoms under the bed...true story. I didn't know how to "dispose" of them. Really didn't want to leave them in the trash for the room steward to find them.

I'm pretty sure they have seen them before. I think you worried a little to much about that. I mean they sell them in the gift shop on board. Anyway if I have anything extra I would rather not travel back with I just ask if they would have use for them and if they don't just toss the items.

I've left many of the papers you get in the cabins (shore ex brochures, staff presentations, laundry ads etc etc) on the table on the last day and wrote a note that if possible, they can be used again next cruise.

And yes, they were all in pristine condition. :rolleyes:

I once bought souvenirs I changed my mind about and left them also in the cabin with a note to our stateroom attendant: "If you know someone who'd have use for these, please pass them along. Otherwise you can just toss them in the bin :)"

I've also left books (and will gladly give them to the crew next time!)

And for what it's worth, shoes (and other clothing) can very well be bought and used secondhand.

It's sustainable and cheap.

If you are afraid of someone else's skin, how can you ever touch anyone?

Books, magazines, and games ...yes.

Mouthwash, shoes...are you kidding me??? That's almost as gross as leaving my leftovers from Chops for my cabin attendant to have for lunch. Sorry, but would You use an opened mouthwash or used pair of shoes? I am sure that the intention behind it is positive but really?

When somebody rents a complete tux outfit onboard the ship, he gets used shoes - there are ways to sanitize them in between users. One can toss athletic shoes in the washer and dryer with a little bleach and that should remove the ick factor. I have some gym shoes that aren't good for the gym any more, but somebody might like to have them for wearing around, so they are going to Italy to live next fall.

My boyfriend wears an undershirt every day, even under other T-Shirts. He is also a boxer guy vs. briefs.

He always packs his "more" used shirts and boxers on vacation. He throws them away each day. The undershirts are more than fine to wear, although I wouldn't think anyone would want used boxers, where more than likely the elastic is wearing thin. Ick. Anyway, he "leaves" the t-shirts and boxers behind, in the trash, to make room for our inevitable souvenirs in the suit case. After a 7 day cruise + pre/post stay, 8-9 T-shirts really do leave a lot of extra room for new shirts from port! I have wondered if the room stewards thinks it is odd to see a pair of boxers and t-shirt in the trash each morning. LOL.

As far as items left behind intended for others, I used to leave the coupon booklets behind (either in the safe, a drawer, or the room service menu). That is really no more.

I've also left sunscreen and other items that I don't want to leak in my suitcase on the plane ride home, usually purchased once we got to port. Items like that, I typically put in the trash too. I guess if the room steward wanted to take any of it, I'm fine with that. If I were at home, I wouldn't waste it, but then again, I opened it up brand new.

I have already started the vaporwear collection for our European trip. We will use each a few times (and no worries, we'll wash them in between wearings) and then discard them before we disembark. On our Galapagos trip, which was really a glamping adventure, I brought quite a few items of older clothing that I wore on the shore trips and left behind in Quito. I may not have gotten a tax deduction, but I'm sure that at least some of them were still wearable in somebody's opinion.

I used to trade books, too. When we cleaned out our house, we brought several hundred onboard Monarch to restock the library. I sailed her 6 months after she left LA and all but two of the books were gone, presumably stolen by passengers.:mad:

Edited by critterchick

Does anyone intentionally ever leave items behind they don't want or need?

If I finish a book or magazine I will leave it behind.

Yes- In addition to reading items, any toiletry item like, hair spray, gel, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc- also if my water shoes look old and crummy- I leave them- sometimes the "free" wine bottles-I also might leave the "free" cheap fabric bags they give out to take to the beach. Free soda containers that you get with the beverage packages. Any other item that could possibly spill and or add weight to my luggage- After so many cruises, who needs the stuff!

Edited by Cruise a holic

in 2005 when we did a itinerary change due to Wilma, we went down to St Thomas and Tortola. On Tortola we rented a car and drove around the island.

At Cane Garden bay I did a message in a bottle, saying if found please reply with where you found the bottle.

About 2 months later I get a letter in the mail with my message in it.

A couple were sailing their sailboat around the Caribbean and picked up the bottle off of Puerto Rico, and couldn't reply till they got back home..... to Seattle, we live in Lynnwood, just north of Seattle, small world

in 2005 when we did a itinerary change due to Wilma, we went down to St Thomas and Tortola. On Tortola we rented a car and drove around the island.

At Cane Garden bay I did a message in a bottle, saying if found please reply with where you found the bottle.

About 2 months later I get a letter in the mail with my message in it.

A couple were sailing their sailboat around the Caribbean and picked up the bottle off of Puerto Rico, and couldn't reply till they got back home..... to Seattle, we live in Lynnwood, just north of Seattle, small world

Very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I, too, leave bottles that may leak on the way home in the luggage. Asked the cabin attendant if he wanted them and he said yes. Also, the books I read I take to the library. Love the exchange shelf on the HAL ships. Learned from CC to put damaged clothes in a bag and dispose of them in a trash can since the attendant will take them out and leave them on the bed.

Foreign coins are left too. I'm sure they will use them in the ports next cruise.

Sure, anything that I don't want to take on theplane but wouldn't mind receiving in a different situation. I can remember leaving the over the door shoe pouch hangers, soft sided cooler bags, alcohol & soft drinks etc

One time in St. Maarten we got caught in a rain storm and bought an umbrella on shore. We purposely left it in the cabin hoping the next passengers could use it if necessary. I've also left antibacterial soap and lysol spray in the bathroom.

We did the all access tour on Independent. In the garbage/recycling area they have a box set aside for Labadee. Any clothes, shoes or books that passengers leave behind go into the box and each time they went to the island they left the stuff behind.

Something I wish they would let you know.