first time post and question

queen vashti

First europe cruise-first cruise over 7 days. Taking Baltic/Viking 30 day trip this August. Have benefited greatly from all your expertise. (Been "stalking" this board). You have answered all my questions--plus ones I didn't even know I had. My one unanswered questions is--- all ports at baltic cities plus iceland, greenland etc.--seem to have different monetary systems. Could we "safely" survive with some euros, US$$, and a visa card?? Thank you in advance--"a tenderfoot"

We are doing our first European cruise this summer (but luckily most ports take the Euro). I would say have a bit of Euros and maybe a bit of USD (not all places accept USD). If you find you need local cash, you can go to an ATM. However for ease, your Visa might be the best way to go.

I know we are taking USD travellers cheques (for onboard charges) and Euros (for off ship money) with us for our trip.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

I think your plan is a good one. Just make sure to check your credit card to see if there are foreign transaction fees. These fees are on top of the exchange rate and can add up. If you have a card without the foreign transaction fees, use that one.

When we did our Baltic/Viking cruise several years there was only one country that did not accept or even prefer American Dollars. Sorry, I don't remember which country it was. It would have accepted the Visa card, but I didn't want to use the Visa for such a trivial amount. Less than $20.

You can certainly survive safely with your plan.

All change will be given in the country's currency. If you don't want to take home foreign currency there should be a way to donate your change to the cause or to the crew. Just ask at the front desk.

I think we took Euro's and dollars but I do think we converted something when in Tallin, Estonia. As I recall there were one or two places where we used cash (while my DW will use plastic for everything I still use cash). We like to walk and stop in local shops and I'm pretty sure that in Estonia we needed something other than our plastic and the currency we had.

Tallin is on the euro but only the last few years. We take some US $, a credit card (Capital One has transaction fee free cards), what ever € we have left from previous trips and a ATM card. If we need € or and local currency we just use the ATM card.

Tallin is on the euro but only the last few years. We take some US $, a credit card (Capital One has transaction fee free cards), what ever € we have left from previous trips and a ATM card. If we need € or and local currency we just use the ATM card.

Really? Is the Capt One card have an annual fee? I have a no-fee Capt one card that used to not have an international fee, but now it does...

I would like to hear back from you.

Thanks.....

Could we "safely" survive with some euros, US$$, and a visa card??
Merchants in tourist areas will take Visa or whatever cash you've got, but at a terrible exchange rate. They know if they don't, they don't make the sale. Visa cards are widely accepted, but you may run into a case where one with a "PIN and chip" type is required.

On your itinerary, Copenhagen, Faroe Islands, and Greenland all use the Danish Krone, so picking up some DKK for miscellaneous purchases could be useful.

You can also exchange money on the ship, typically at about 1% to 1.5% above what a shore ATM would give you. I sometimes do that just for the convenience of not having to go find a shore ATM. Also, use only bank ATMs ashore, not ones in shops etc.

Edited by jtl513

do any of the Baltic countries accept American Express? Or do we need a Visa per se? How about Mastercard?:confused:

Yes, they accept Amex, but just like in the US, some merchants won't take AX. We usually carry a Visa and our Amex just in case. It's also helpful to have some local currency for small expenses.

thanks, is Visa/Mastercard interchangeable or is it really Visa only?

Yes, they accept Amex, but just like in the US, some merchants won't take AX. We usually carry a Visa and our Amex just in case. It's also helpful to have some local currency for small expenses.

They're basically the same in terms of acceptance. (I am sure there is a slight difference, but not in practical terms.) You may find that some places prefer the chipped (RFID) cards, but in port cities most merchants will do everything they can to accept your business.

perfect. thanks

They're basically the same in terms of acceptance. (I am sure there is a slight difference, but not in practical terms.) You may find that some places prefer the chipped (RFID) cards, but in port cities most merchants will do everything they can to accept your business.

We got some Danish Crowns and Swedish Crowns at our bank, Chase, for our upcoming trip. We thought the ease was worth the cost.

We already had some Euros left over from past trips.

Remember to call your bank and your credit card company to alert them of possible foreign use.

Also--if the worse happens, make sure you aren't both carrying the same credit card. If one is stolen, then the other can't be used. Unfortunately, we learned this when my purse was stolen on a vacation. My husband had only one card that was not jointly held with the same account number.

I had to go to the police and final a police report and get a copy so I could get on the airplane to go home.

I also recommend that you cross pack--some of your travelling companions clothes in your suit case and vice versa. If one loses his/her luggage or it has delayed arrival, at least you have some clothes to wear.

In my experience Visa is much more common than MC - so much so that we bring two different Visa cards instead of one of each.

Edited by jtl513

...On your itinerary, Copenhagen, Faroe Islands, and Greenland all use the Danish Krone...

Maybe that was it, I think I purchased some DKK at our bank prior to our Baltic, but I also think I did a local exchange while in Tallin - this was 2009.