Haven - has anyone gone back to regular cabins?

Wow, I struggled with the title of this thread more than you might think so as not to cause offence - "Haven - anyone take a step down", "Haven - could you stand normal cruising again?". You get the idea.

You see our last cruise, as fantastic as it unquestionably was, has left us with a dilemma - we couldn't imagine doing anything but Haven. So that not only means Haven, it means NCL till death us do part.

This revelation has caused us to have a few blank stares and awkward silences when discussing future cruises - something along the lines of:

"hey I'd like to do an Alaskan cruise".

"Yeah me too".

"In Haven of course".

"Oh yes, of course".

.......awkward silence........

Seriously, has anyone done Haven and never varied thereafter, or did you find it easy to switch back to non-Haven staterooms?

Edited by Winchester Ranger

I'm looking forward to the responses to this! I've only sailed in suites (non-Haven as the ships I've sailed don't have them) on NCL and have my 3rd suite booked next year, followed by *gasp* an inside on the Sky for a music cruise. The cost of the inside was more than I paid for my last suite and the next combined. But dang if I'm not thrilled about the bands on board! :) I'm curious to see other's opinions. I'm also terrified that I'll be the woman outside of Cagney's with my nose up against the door begging for just one order of steak and eggs in the morning. :D

Husband and I sailed last spring in the Haven on the Pearl to Alaska. We loved it and it was one the best vacations we've had. Last aug, on a last min whim I booked a guarantee inside stateroom for 18 yr old daughter and I on the same ship. She and I had just as much fun. I purchased us spa passes and we made good use of them. We participated in all the activities we could, ate dinner with the officers, met new friends, went on hikes with cruise staff and new friends... Simply had a blast. Our room steward was just as good as our Haven steward. We also asked to eat with others at meals and had a great time with that as well. Our bed was just as comfortable. We got lucky and had an aft inside on deck 10. My daughter said our stateroom was much nicer than her dorm room and someone cleaned it a few times a day.

I don't think my husband would have liked it but we had a blast, made it even better that we booked at an insanely low price, booked four days prior to sail. We paid more than times as much for the haven suite.

My first cruise was on the Dawn in a PH suite (no Haven on the Dawn). My second was on the Jewel in an OS (Haven, but a CTN 2 nighter) and my third was in the DOS with connecting Haven PH. I'm sailing this July on the Gem in a Haven OS, but not because of the Haven...only because we loved the OS so much on the Jewel.

I honestly can sail without the Haven complex. Without the butler and concierge? Not so much! We were so spoiled with the most amazing concierge on the Dawn that he spoiled us forever for Concierge service. In truth, he was way more amazing than the concierge on the Breakaway in terms of personalized service even though we stayed in the DOS during the BA sailing. I think it's all about the size of the ship in that respect.

We enjoyed the Haven on the Breakaway but only to a limited degree. In sum, the Haven itself pales in comparison to the incredible service we received from the concierge on a ship without a Haven complex.

Would I sail in a cabin that didn't have suite benefits (with or without the Haven)? I guess it would depend on the cruise, the itinerary etc. but I'd much rather sail with the suite benefits regardless of Haven access.

When price allows, I sail suites.

No way I can afford suites of any time around Christmas/New Years, which we sail about every year. Same goes for Hawaii which we are planning for summer 2016.

Spring break is usually ok, and sometimes a mini in the summer if I catch a sale. I got a Haven suite this summer only because the price was good and they threw in dining/drink packages.

They are nice, but I have no problem with any room on the ship. For Christmas/New Years this usually means insides as well. Just get me out on the water.

Wow! After reading several of these responses, I'm glad and very appreciative to have a "regular" cabin as the OP puts it. Based on the info provided about the Haven, I'll stick with what I enjoy about my cruises.

Sure you can go back to regular cabins. You just find yourself sometimes rationalizing how much better the cruise is because you are not spending so much money on some perks that are not necessary to have a great cruise. A suite CAN make a better cruise but that is not ALWAYS the case.

I usually get what is priced right. I've been at balcony staterooms. Next cruise will be inside. Was it easy for me to "downgrade?" Absolutely. More money in my pocket = more things I get to do. We do not use stateroom for much more than sleeping anyway, and prefer to be out and about.

In 3 weeks we'll have our first "Haven" experience. Stayed in suites before, when finances allowed, and have no trouble going back to a regular cabin. We look at it this way, take one cruise in a suite or two in a regular cabin. Sometimes you just want to get on the ship and go, don't care about the cabin. :D

We have done Haven, then back to regular room. Recently did 2BR suite, but next cruise is balcony.

Not happy, but we survive. Sure we have the money and can afford it, but it is hard to justify sometimes. We have the money now, but realize it will run out at some point. As soon as someone can give me the exact date, or at least the right year we will pass, it is hard to decide how to spend it.

We were in an Owners Suite on the Pearl last year, as a one off.

We've since done a balcony on the Spirit, and have mini suites booked on the Epic, Jade and Getaway.

No problem at all with going back to non suites. Yes the suite benefits are nice , but the best thing is just being on a cruise, no matter what cabin you are in.

I haven not sailed in the Haven before but will be in March, 2015 on the Gem. I usually have a suite and once the OS on the Spirit. The Haven is going be a surprise for a GF as a retirement present which after I booked she is not retiring (she got a promotion)

I will have to see if the Haven is worth the extra money instead of a regular suite

I just need the ability to see outside

I get bad seasickness if i can't see the horizon or get some fresh air. sometimes it's impractical to run out of the room in boxers at 3 in the morning if you're inside cabin.

i'm probably the definition of a lazy fat fck when i'm on vacation so it doesnt' really matter where I lay down.

Husband and I sailed last spring in the Haven on the Pearl to Alaska. We loved it and it was one the best vacations we've had. Last aug, on a last min whim I booked a guarantee inside stateroom for 18 yr old daughter and I on the same ship. She and I had just as much fun. I purchased us spa passes and we made good use of them. We participated in all the activities we could, ate dinner with the officers, met new friends, went on hikes with cruise staff and new friends... Simply had a blast. Our room steward was just as good as our Haven steward. We also asked to eat with others at meals and had a great time with that as well. Our bed was just as comfortable. We got lucky and had an aft inside on deck 10. My daughter said our stateroom was much nicer than her dorm room and someone cleaned it a few times a day.

I don't think my husband would have liked it but we had a blast, made it even better that we booked at an insanely low price, booked four days prior to sail. We paid more than times as much for the haven suite.

Glad you had a great cruise even though you were in an inside cabin after being in the Haven.

We enjoy the suites, but when we did the 12 day Med last year, we knew we would be off the ship all the time, only 2 sea days, and would not be around to enjoy the suite perks, so we booked a balcony. It worked out that when we returned back to the ship at the end of the day, we were too exhausted to do much but eat, relax, and go to bed.

But our next two cruises we have suites booked. :)

First time in the "Haven" coming up, but we did a bunch of Pearl class aft penthouse trips that had all the perks (just not the "courtyard" access.) The perks plus the large room size made the extra $ well worth it for us.

We also do the specialty restaurants every night, and only set foot in the MDR once on all of our NCL trips.

After those trips, we wouldn't do a regular room on an NCL ship.

We did do a "regular" room on a Disney Cruise Line ship, but it was a Family room (designed to fit 2 adults and up to three kids... and we have no kids), and the "regular" service on DCL way exceeds anything we've ever experienced on NCL, Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Of course the price is reflective of the room size and service level.

But we're very much looking forward to our Haven trip on the Breakaway in three weeks!

I haven't experienced Haven but have sailed in a suite - loved it - but I have also been in an inside and a balcony cabin.

My next cruise will be a longer cruise and will not be in a suite simply because I can't rationalize the price difference of a aft facing balcony and the cabin right next door which is an aft PH. I get the same view, large balcony. So I don't have someone dropping off snacks once a day, nor can I get on and off the ship before others, and yes I will miss Cagney Breakfast/Lunch - but the MDR will be just fine. I think I'll manage quite nicely!! :)

Edited by cpcanuck

The Aft Haven penthouse on the Breakaway was our 30th cruise...can't go back to anything less again. In fact we cancelled a Crystal Cruise when we returned from our Breakaway cruise. The Crystal was a balcony that costs $$$$$$$. We booked the Breakaway again..same cruise, same cabin for next year. The itinerary will have to be extraordinary for us to book anything less on another ship. We are sailing on HAL in Sept for a Med cruise...booked it a year ago and have bought the plane tickets. If not for the itinerary and the plane tickets we would have walked away...and we are booked in a suite on HAL.

My first Haven experience is coming up in September, and I am looking forward to it so much, I can barely stand it!!

I have been on two previous cruises, the Dawn and the Star, both in a balcony cabin.

Those were great cruises, we enjoyed every single minute of them. We can't cruise every year, much as we would love to. The Haven this year is a total splurge for us.

I know any cruise I take in the future will probably not be in a Haven complex, but we can't sail in anything other than a balcony because my DH is a smoker (yuck!)

So, I guess it is the balcony/mini-suite that has me spoiled. While the Haven is offering some great perks, I know I won't have any problem going back to a regular balcony cabin. Unless we win the lottery!

J

We have not been able to do it yet! I would guess if it meant no vacation at all I would since we are Platinum and would have all the perks other than being in the Haven, but I wont lie it was even hard for me to do the aft Haven Breakaway suite we were so far from the Haven. We have really spoiled ourselves with only Haven rooms.

The Aft Haven penthouse on the Breakaway was our 30th cruise...can't go back to anything less again. In fact we cancelled a Crystal Cruise when we returned from our Breakaway cruise. The Crystal was a balcony that costs $$$$$$$. We booked the Breakaway again..same cruise, same cabin for next year. The itinerary will have to be extraordinary for us to book anything less on another ship. We are sailing on HAL in Sept for a Med cruise...booked it a year ago and have bought the plane tickets. If not for the itinerary and the plane tickets we would have walked away...and we are booked in a suite on HAL.

This is exactly where we are at but it's good to hear that others were able to "step down" without necessarily noticing a big difference in the overall cruise experience.

I notice the mention of specialty dining in other posts and we actually got the UD package for free and then hardly used it. To us the food in the Haven restaurant (this was on Getaway) was leagues ahead of all the other dining rooms in terms of food quality, taste, and presentation. We simply stopped eating anywhere else.