OPEN LETTER to Royal Carribbean

This letter mirrors the matter related in my "Royal Disappointment" thread and was mailed to RCI Guest Relations with a copy to Mr. Goldstein. I'm posting it here because of the response to my other thread from so many who apparently feel the same way. Please note I do not ask for any sort of "compensation" and I do not say "I'll NEVER sail RCI again. This is a businessman/CEO giving an opinion to another.

I'll update this thread with any response I receive (or not).

Corporate Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL33132

Dear Sir or Ms:

I am writing to express my dismay at my most recent cruise with RCI.

It was my eighth with RCI. I usually travel with between 3 and 5 cabins in my party and my friends have always said of NCL that “it’s not bad but it’s not Royal”. Unfortunately, this time it was.

We are just off the May 17 Bermuda cruise on Explorer. It was my favorite ship of any, across all cruise lines, so I was already marginally sad at saying goodbye, but Royal was nice enough to make it a bit easier.

For this cruise I bought three cabins: Cabin 8618 for my wife and me, Cabin3600 for my son, Daughter in law and Granddaughter, and Cabin 8607 for two young friends. It was a first ever cruise for my son’s family and the first on RCI for my young friends and I had been raving about Explorer to everyone for months.

Upon embarkation my son's cabin had dried bloodstains on their sheets. He talked to Guest Relations who sent someone to change the bedding. On day two yet MORE bloodstains were present on the undersheets. Apparently they changed only the top bedding. I can understand coffee stains and such (though obviously that signals that the bedding was not changed).

HOWEVER, failing to change bedding which contains biological material is absolutely unacceptable and having to make that call TWICE is inexcusable.

While I have no conclusive proof of causation, my Daughter in Law developed a nasty rash that is migrating and is now under medical treatment.

I cannot definitively diagnose the causative process but I can't rule out the bedding either. It's enough to make me think long and hard about the RCI staff cutbacks and standards.

On day two, in my own balcony cabin, we noticed five yellowish stains on our top bedding. Definitely not coffee or iced tea but urine yellow. Obviously this bedding was either not changed OR improperly laundered and inspected. This was also changed immediately but remains extremely disconcerting. I am seriously glad I didn't have a UV light with me because I'd hate to

have seen that result.

Moving on to a different subject, I must say that while the overall cruise was fine, the "feel" was very different from the Royal that we know and much closer to Norwegian in that most of the crew did their job competently but that's it. With a few notable exceptions (Clive at the Pool Bar,

Kenger thewashee-washeelady , and our wait staff in the MDR) the RCI feel of "I'm glad you’re aboard" was totally missing. That's very much a subjective thing but it definitely narrows the gap for me between RCI and NCL. I have always put RCI as first choice and this may no longer be the case.

There were other little "mosquito bite" annoyances throughout the cruise but, as I said, we still had a good time. It just wasn't the RCI experience I have come to know and love so much.

As an aside, I would point out that while cost reduction is part of any business, there comes a point of diminishing returns if quality declines unacceptably. General Motors was the gold standard of cars in my youth and I owned several. Then the bean counters cheapened the product bit by bit and I now wouldn’t take a GM car if I won it on a game show.

I have by no means written off Royal. I always check a new restaurant twice before I write it off, so one bad experience would not drive me away. However, as a result of the incidents related above and the entire "feel" of the

trip, my other options (NCL and Princess) have definitely moved into more contention now.

VTY,

Edited by JohnGaltny

That was very well written. Gets the point across cleanly, no bashing, no threats. Just a very clean commentary on the conditions at hand during your cruise.

Wish more folks would word negative issues that way. Probably get more and better results.

Well written; clearly and concisely stated. Thanks for sharing it. Indeed, if there are several "mosquito bite" annoyances and/or there are many crew members who are not doing their jobs well or are just unhappy in their jobs it can cause even the most loyal of us to wander.

I also feel the line between quality cruising in the generic brands, not taking in the botique cruise lines, has changed enough to get our attention. I have felt that the crew seems to be over worked, especially the stateroom attendant. I could be wrong, but on my last two cruises on X I found my stateroom had not truly been cleaned, a quick phone call solved the issue. Crew problems might be limited to certain ships, I have also seen MDR service just barely OK on a X cruise and my lasts RC cruise but on the next cruises it was back to normal.

Remember the Captain has mucho control over all venues on the ship, and may experiment with ways to make his ship more profitable

Interesting.

This isn't the 1st time I have heard of RC not changing the bed linens between passengers/cruises.

Totally unexceptable...

sorry to nitpick...

unacceptable is probably a better word choice. At least I think that is a real word.:D

OP that is gross. Sorry.

jc

Interesting.

This isn't the 1st time I have heard of RC not changing the bed linens between passengers/cruises.

Totally unexceptable...

We do many B2Bs in a row, up to 6 so far..... and have always seen the beds totally stripped and mattress pad off as well......when walking by all the rooms in our hallways, on change over day.

We were on Explorer for a month in Sept. and were very happy with everything, so sorry you had such disappointing things happen!!! Would have upset us as well!:eek:

A good letter and hopefully gets the attention needed.

Great letter.To the point. I hope Mr. Goldstein reads it, and does something about it. I,too, am a loyal RCI cruiser, having booked the Serenade for a 9 night next year.Sorry about the sheets. No excuse for this. Not profit or anything else.I know you're not looking for compensation, but RCI should give you something.Maybe a credit for a future cruise.

Yikes, didn't get enough attention with your first thread so you started another? Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I explained my reasons in the opening paragraph and pointed out that it was a mirror. Feel perfectly free to not read it.

I'm glad 99.8% of you found this useful.

At the risk of offending other Royal Carribots, I will update this thread with the response, positive, negative or non-existent. I think it valuable to have a transparent interaction for the benefit of at least some of the people who have been of such value to me on this Board over the years.

sorry to nitpick...

unacceptable is probably a better word choice. At least I think that is a real word.

You are, of course, correct. There are nuns who are now looking for me with sticks (or more likely rulers). LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

How horrible!

DH reminded me that if you don't wash the bloody sheets in cold water, it will set in the stain. Still, they should change the sheets, and make sure the replacements are not stained. If the the same thing happened to us, I'd think hard before giving the cabin steward a top mark.

All that said, on Legend, I got the worst case of contact dermatitis in years, and medical didn't have anything better than what I'd brought with me. A month later, I still have traces of it. After our last cruise, our silk sleep sacks are back in our suitcase.

Very well written, factual, non confrontational.

FWIW I wrote a "complaint" letter to Mr. Fain about ten years back after a cruise on Vision OTS (we had an owner's suite). Detailed some of the issues we ran into. He wrote back, and offered us some future cruise compensation (we certainly didn't ask, but were happy to take adavntage of that).

Another time, had a litany of problems at a 6 night stay in a high end hotel in South Florida (the place was being returned to service after a big remodel, and should at the very least had a "soft" opening). I wrote the GM, he called me back, and gave us a complimentary two night stay. We took advantage of that, checked in about a year later, and they plopped us in the Presidential suite!

Edited by Former Goalie

That was very well written. Gets the point across cleanly, no bashing, no threats. Just a very clean commentary on the conditions at hand during your cruise.

Wish more folks would word negative issues that way. Probably get more and better results.

Thanks Darkwolfe.

I was a name partner/CEO/typist/dishwasher of my own firm for many years. What people who work for others don't realize is that obtaining new clients is MUCH tougher than retaining existing ones. Thus, when a person says "I'll never sail Royal again" they have immediately dropped to a lower priority than an existing customer who is unhappy, but is possible to retain.

My letter was written CEO to CEO. As such, threats and recriminations are not only useless, but counter-productive to my thesis. Honestly, I am stunned by the number of people who feel as I do.

Goalie, I'm glad you had successful results. Honestly, I can afford to go where I want. If they offer something I'll accept it but that was not my main issue. As I said, we still enjoyed the cruise as a whole.

Edited by JohnGaltny

sorry to nitpick...

unacceptable is probably a better word choice. At least I think that is a real word.:D

You are, of course, correct. There are nuns who are now looking for me with sticks (or more likely rulers). LOL

Tell those nuns to leave you alone, that wasn't your mistake! :D

Well written letter, will be watching for the response.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks Darkwolfe.

My letter was written CEO to CEO. As such, threats and recriminations are not only useless, but counter-productive to my thesis. Honestly, I am stunned by the number of people who feel as I do.

I used to work for a Cell Company and received the letters to the CEO/BOD for accounts that my center had worked.

The 100% angry F! your company emails got way less then the customers that explained in a thoughtful and courteous way their trials and tribulations. I always found that understanding people that have reached their wits ends often had a more legit complaints then the crazy I'm going to email the CEO to get what I want people.

That said. I hope you didn't get my sheets. I took a cruise, had a drink (or 10) thought it would be a good idea to shave my legs; cut myself several times. Offered to pay for the towels and sheets I ruined trying to get my blood to clot. Gave the room steward a great tip for not even caring at all. But that was like 2 years ago, so (also different ship)

I used to work for a Cell Company and received the letters to the CEO/BOD for accounts that my center had worked.

The 100% angry F! your company emails got way less then the customers that explained in a thoughtful and courteous way their trials and tribulations. I always found that understanding people that have reached their wits ends often had a more legit complaints then the crazy I'm going to email the CEO to get what I want people.

That said. I hope you didn't get my sheets. I took a cruise, had a drink (or 10) thought it would be a good idea to shave my legs; cut myself several times. Offered to pay for the towels and sheets I ruined trying to get my blood to clot. Gave the room steward a great tip for not even caring at all. But that was like 2 years ago, so (also different ship)

LOLOL I hope I didn't get two year old sheets from a different ship also.

My letter went through proper channels but was copied to Mr. Goldstein. As a CEO, I sometimes found people reticent to tell me about things not going well. The copy obviates that problem but respects his chain of command. I have NO idea if he will see it or care, but he should.

LOLOL I hope I didn't get two year old sheets from a different ship also.

My letter went through proper channels but was copied to Mr. Goldstein. As a CEO, I sometimes found people reticent to tell me about things not going well. The copy obviates that problem but respects his chain of command. I have NO idea if he will see it or care, but he should.

Your letter was the type of letters I enjoyed getting. I found that the complaints were actually the most serious, and ironically easiest to fix (cells are different then vacations.) What the well written letter gave to me was an opportunity to fix the issues, at the retail, contact center, and network level (some of which aren't fixable, some of which require time - but the person writing a well written letter either understood or had reasonable requests.

In short -- Good letter to the CEO (as you know)

Yikes, didn't get enough attention with your first thread so you started another? Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just what I was thinking! Let's see I"ll start another thread and hopefully get the responses I'm looking for.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: