Regal Princess Inaugural 7 Night Cruise Review

SeaCBear

I did have a problem with the first day's review and yes, the photos were too large. That problem was resolved with the other daily reviews I have posted. Are you seeing large photos for all the reviews posted today? :confused:

I went back and EDITED my previous comment to include the improvements made to your later posts. Thank you very much!! The shots are beautiful and your reporting is top-notch! Keep up the great work! :D

Whew! Thanks #1winelover - I was worried the problem was only fixed on my end! :)

I went back and EDITED my previous comment to include the improvements made to your later posts. Thank you very much!! The shots are beautiful and your reporting is top-notch! Keep up the great work! :D

Day 4 – Istanbul

We set our iPhone alarms to ensure we would wake up in time to enjoy the sail into Istanbul, and it was certainly worth seeing. The activity in the water around the Regal Princess was an indication really of the day to come – there was constant motion, and boat traffic and activity. The views were terrific – we’d already seen the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia before we’d even left the ship :-)

We were both so looking forward to our 1 ½ days in Istanbul, and we weren’t disappointed. It was a bit of culture shock, a sensory overload for the ears, eyes and nose, and absolutely fascinating. We had no excursions booked, but had a plan of attack for both days that we would be in Istanbul. We picked up a quick breakfast of cappuccino, espresso and Egg McMuffin’s in the International Café, and then left the ship.

Our plan was to take the tram into Sultanahmet, the old town of Istanbul, and our first stop would be to the Yerebatan Cistern. We didn’t have any Turkish lira, but had been told there was an ATM at the tram stop. We marched off the ship, and took a few wrong turns trying to get out of the port, but eventually found ourselves on the main road and the tram stop. There was no ATM at the stop, but we could see a few banks about a block away, so off we went. We had no trouble withdrawing our lira, but at this point we were toying with the idea of not taking the tram, and just walking instead. Julio, in his port lecture, had indicated it was probably a 35-45 minute walk. It was a beautiful day, and we’re both active and in pretty good shape, and we love to walk, so off we went.

Our journey began as an interesting walk, and evolved into a fascinating trek. The walk across the Galata Bridge provided beautiful views, and it was amazing to see all the fishermen (and they were all men) lined up.

14120802839_a7ea2f8eb4_z.jpg

Once we’d crossed the bridge we headed towards, we hoped, the cistern. We probably took a few wrong turns, but didn’t really care because it was just all so fascinating. The streets were bustling with life and commerce. By accident we found ourselves at the Spice Market, and decided we might as well take a look as we were right at its door. The colours and scents were great, but we just walked through and didn’t buy anything. This was our first encounter with the many assertive sales people you encounter in Istanbul. We’re both quite quiet and not at all aggressive, so we’ve never really been comfortable bartering or haggling. We’ve done it when we’ve had to, in Mexico and other places, but it’s not something we enjoy as many do.

14306893164_a0c7a8afe3_z.jpg

Once we emerged from the Spice Market we continued to wind through the streets, passing various street peddlers, many stores selling made to order suits and other clothing, housewares stores, etc. And these stores were mostly full of locals at this point, not tourists. Eventually, after walking up hills, passing through a park that included a cat house, and asking for directions at a hotel, we found the Cistern. This was also our first exposure to one of the many helpful locals who want to help you find your way ;-) After pointing out various landmarks (the cistern, Hagia Sophia, etc.) they ask where you’re from, and other general questions and eventually you realize they want you to go back and look at their carpets :-) We didn’t see it coming the first time, but every other time we were approached with offers for directions we just started saying thanks, we know where we’re going, and we don’t want to buy a carpet! I know these guys are just trying to make a living, and they’re polite and friendly, but they’re certainly persistent and after you’ve been approached ten times in a day, it does get a bit old. OK, that is my only rant and complaint about Istanbul, because we really did love this city.

So, with the assistance of a helpful carpet salesman :-), we found the Cistern. There was a fairly long line, but it moved quickly, and once inside and underground it didn’t feel crowded in most areas, and it was wonderful and cool. I thought the cistern was quite magical and beautiful. We didn’t spend a long time there, but I’m so glad we saw it.

14327638993_dc61ecba5e_z.jpg

After the cistern we were ready for lunch, so we set out to look for the restaurant I had selected weeks ago for lunch, Albura Kathisma Café. We took some time to take photos of the surrounding architectural wonders, including Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, and then walked on. We got lost a few times (and we were using a GPS the whole time!) but that was all part of the fun. We found the restaurant, and I loved it as soon as I saw it. It was almost empty, and the servers were friendly and efficient. Lunch was wonderful. We began with a shared selection of Turkish appetizers, followed by chicken kebobs, all enjoyed with rose wine (can you tell I like rose wine? ;-) The food was so tasty, and the street view was busy but not bothersome. At the end of the meal they brought us complimentary apple tea, served in traditional small Turkish glasses. As we were leaving, our waiter invited us to tour the underground ‘palace’ – these were the ruins of a palace literally underneath the restaurant. Amazing. (Apparently while we were at lunch Turkey, including Istanbul, and Greece were hit by a major earthquake. Our waiters were quite excited about it, but we felt nothing!)

14120794778_24363e8ecd_z.jpg

14305563732_c396eb8382_z.jpg

After lunch we headed for the Grand Bazaar. Again we had a little trouble finding it, and eventually asked a very nice young man who was just standing with his motorcycle. We found the Bazaar, but really only walked through. I had thought we would spend much more time exploring the bazaar’s many streets, but it was so busy and we were continuously being pestered by men wanting to know if we wanted to buy a leather jacket (we’d progressed from carpet salesmen apparently), and I guess we just weren’t really enjoying it. We’re not really big shopper when on vacation, but I had hoped to pick up a few scarves at least in Istanbul. Eventually I did, but not in the Grand Bazaar.

We emerged into the light from the Grand Bazaar, and our next destination was the Hagia Sophia. Our hope, based on what we had read, was that it would be a little less busy at the end of the day. On the way we hoped to find a rooftop bar where we could enjoy a drink and a view of the Bosphorus (and also find a washroom :-). We passed a restaurant called the Fish House which advertised a rooftop bar. We asked if it would be possible for us to just have a drink, and they said that would be fine. Up three floors we went to the empty rooftop restaurant. We each had – well, you should be able to guess by know – a glass of cold rose. The view was quite impressive, and there was a nice breeze. The staff were very friendly, as was everyone we met in Istanbul. At one point my husband’s ever present binoculars were on the table. The waiter asked if he could try them. My husband said of course, and the waiter then put them up to his face – the wrong way round. Jeff showed him how to use them, and he seemed quite impressed. I don’t think he had ever used binoculars before. (A quick side note – the washrooms at this restaurant, and every restaurant in every bar or restaurant we went to on this cruise, was absolutely shiny clean and spotless).

We got to the Hagia Sophia after 5 and the line we joined was not really too long. But that didn’t stop a steady stream of men coming up to us asking if we wanted to hire them as a tour guide – they promised this would enable us to skip the line – which they assured us was going to take at least an hour, and would somehow be cheaper. We declined, and by the time the third man came up to us I just pretended I couldn’t speak English. Or German. Or Russian. :-) The man behind us, when asked if he spoke English, said “Yes I do. Go Away.”. Perhaps a bit rude, but funny, and I think by this point in the day we were just all tired of being pestered.

The line actually only took about 15 minutes, and then we were inside the Hagia Sophia. What an impressive structure. We covered the entire first and second floors, and took lots of photos. The size of the place is almost overwhelming. While there we heard the “call to prayer”, which really added to the experience.

14120798400_b8bf9a199d_z.jpg

After this visit we were done. My feet were killing me, and I was ready to ‘go home’. We planned to take the tram home. We walked to the closest stop, and purchased tokens at the machine (with the “assistance” of some very aggressive little boys who tried to grab the change the machine spit out). We then went through the turnstile to wait for the tram. When it came it was absolutely packed. We watched people push and shove their way on, but we didn’t even attempt to. The next tram came, and it was the same mob scene. We gave up, and decided to walk back. After about 20 minutes we walked by the Imbat Restaurant, about which I’d read very good things. We asked in the lobby of the hotel if it would be possible to just have a drink in their rooftop bar. The desk person called up, and they said we could as long as were vacated the table by 7 as they were fully booked for the evening. No problem. Up we went, and I’m really glad we did. The views, including our ship, were great.

We let the Imbat and began our trek back, along the Bosphorus where all the night time boat tours were leaving, across the Galata Bridge, still full of fishermen (and a few women this time), past the stalls where men were cooking fresh fish or mussels, and finally on to the ship. I could barely walk by the time we boarded :-) We estimated we walked about 10-12 miles that day. I was really exhausted, but it was such an amazing, wonderful day, and I didn’t regret a minute.

Once on board we enjoyed our buffet dinner (this was actually my best dinner on board, other than the night we went to the Crown Grill), as we sat outside at the Horizon Terrace, enjoying the majestic view. I’m sure we had one of the best, if not THE best views for dinner in the entire city.

After dinner we watched the Orphea Band in the Piazza, from Crooners. I loved this band on the Royal, and my husband and I both thought they were really great again on the Royal. Then it was time for bed. It had been a very long, active, full, intense and very memorable day.

You can view all my photos of Istanbul here. All photos from our Regal Princess cruise can been by clicking on the link in my signature.

Edited by SeaCBear

Love your review! Thx for sharing. Quick question, you mention your iPhones several times...does using the GPS cost money? Also, do you have a translator app you suggest or know if that uses wifi/costs money? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks makingmemories21! My husband and I are both techies, and our iPhones/iPads are always attached to us ;-) All the photos I took on our trip were taken with my iPhone 5S.

We were using OffMaps2, and MapsWithMe to help us navigate. As long as you download the maps you need before you go, you do not need WiFi for these apps. CityMaps2Go is also a good app to check out, and I also use Google Maps a lot.

For translation I like Word Lens or Translate. I hope this helps!

Love your review! Thx for sharing. Quick question, you mention your iPhones several times...does using the GPS cost money? Also, do you have a translator app you suggest or know if that uses wifi/costs money? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jasperdo has kindly given me the secret, so my next Regal Cruise Review installments will have photos that look like this. Much better!

Glad I could help. Your photos are fantastic. And I'm really enjoying your detailed review.

LOVING your review.

We originally had booked this cruise (the 20 day version) but had to cancel so it's so much fun reading your great descriptions and seeing all the pictures.

We loved the food on the Royal so am sorry to read it's not as good on the Regal. Hopefully they just need to get it all sorted out.

Wow! I don't usually read reviews, but you are doing a great job both with the narrative and the pictures. But, I think I would have titled it as a blog or journal instead of review. Thanks for doing this.

Edited by billco

I am so loving your review. We did this trip in 2010 on the Ruby so I am enjoying hearing about the Regal and your adventures bring back so many good memories.. Your pictures are great. It is amazing how well the iPhone camera makes such great pictures. Can’t wait for the next installment.

Day 6 – Istanbul Part 2

Our only real agenda for this day was to get to the Blue Mosque as soon as possible. After our marathon walk the day before, I really wasn’t up to walking back to Sultanahmet (I suspect my husband would have liked to!). We considered taking the tram, but after seeing the ‘push and shove’ scene the day before, we decided instead to just purchase the shuttle that Princess offered for $10 each (round trip). The shuttle worked out really well, but the tram also appeared to be much less busy, on a Sunday, so we probably would have been OK with it too.

The shuttle departed about 8:45 and it only took about 20 minutes to get to the Grand Bazaar, the drop off and pick up point for the shuttle. On the way highlights of the city were pointed out, which was great and unexpected. The shuttle was very clean and comfortable.

Once we’d been dropped off, we walked to the Blue Mosque, which was perhaps a 5 or 10 minute walk. The crowds were light, which was a good sign. When we got to the Blue Mosque we weren’t exactly sure where the entrance was. Well, never fear, a carpet salesman (you don’t find out they’re carpet salesmen for a few minutes, but we knew immediately :-)) appeared to show us the entrance. He also said we needed to hurry because it was going to close in about 10 minutes? This was absolutely not true – the next prayer time was a few hours away. Anyway, we managed to escape and found the line for the entrance.

The line moved quickly and we were soon taking our shoes off and placing them in the plastic bag provided. I had brought a scarf with me to cover my head and shoulders. I was wearing capri jeans and a t-shirt. I had thought this would be an acceptable outfit for me to enter the Mosque, but they said I needed to cover my arms also, and they gave me a blue cloth.

The Blue Mosque is very beautiful, but we didn’t linger too long inside. I was carrying my shoe bag, hanging on to my own scarf AND the cloth provided to cover my arms, and trying to take pictures at the same time – it was a bit tricky! And although it was, I think, a quiet time to visit, it was quite crowded inside, mostly with large tour groups. But we enjoyed our visit and the beautiful blue tiles and soaring ceilings.

14120752898_4fdb4fb5b9_z.jpg

14327590003_2821d2e9b9_z.jpg

Once outside, we slowly walked back to the shuttle meeting point. As I've mentioned, we're not really shoppers while on vacation, but I did pick up a few little souvenirs: some small change purses that look like miniature Turkish carpets, a few pretty tins with olive oil soap, and three silk scarves purchased from a sad looking man on the street. The scarves are very light and pretty, and I didn't see anything like them anywhere else in Istanbul (or here). We bargained a little with him, but really our heart wasn't in it. I think he needed the extra few Lira we might have managed to save far more than we did. There wasn’t really anything more we wanted to do, and we wouldn’t have time to do much more as all-aboard was 1:30 I think. The streets were certainly quieter than they had been the previous day, Saturday, and the shuttle returned us quickly back to the Regal Princess.

Once back on board we went straight to Sanctuary to find out if we could book two spots for the afternoon. We weren’t able to get our usual chairs, but we snagged two chairs facing the shore, and in the corner. Knowing I like shade, Ilarion arranged for the chairs to be rearranged a little bit so that I would have shade almost all the time. It was sunny and warm when we got there around 11:30, so we decided to get changed into our swim suits (we had yet to swim on board) before returning to the Sanctuary. We returned to our cabin to change, then headed to the Horizon Terrace (I think this really was our favourite place on board) for lunch. My lunch that day was outstanding – I think the salad bar on the Regal was the best I’ve ever seen on a ship. The selection was extensive and everything was very fresh and appealing, and so for lunch I compiled an enormous salad which included lettuces, raw veggies, macadamia nuts, black beans, stilton cheese and much, much more. It was awesome :-) And of the course, the view of Istanbul as a backdrop couldn’t be better.

We walked back to the Sanctuary and as we got there it started to rain :-( The temperature had dropped and it wasn’t nearly as nice as it had been just an hour before. We sat in the communal cabana area in the centre of the Sanctuary waiting for the inclement weather to pass, and it did after about 20 minutes. The chairs were then uncovered, and we settled in.

This was our last visit to the Sanctuary (in total we spent 2 ½ days there) but it was the least peaceful. On this afternoon, not only did we have someone blaring their TV in one of the cabanas for about an hour, the captain also announced that a helicopter would be travelling with us for the first two hours after leaving Istanbul, to film video of the new Regal Princess. The helicopter circled around the ship repeatedly, often at eye level (we got a great view from the Sanctuary) and often right above us. As you might imagine, it was quite noisy. It also was not as warm as other days, so we huddled under extra towels. My swim suit didn’t even get wet that day :-(

14115361939_dfc4dd6882_z.jpg

We went back to our cabin to get changed for formal night, and then visited the wine bar for a glass of wine. I love the window tables they have there, and the wine flights are fun. The nibbles or tapas are quite nice too, but I always find it a bit strange that – for two people – they bring one of everything. One cracker with hummus, one piece of bruschetta, one bread stick wrapped with prosciutto…. we usually just divvied up the loot, e.g. “I’ll take the breadstick, and you can have the bruschetta…” :-)

14298704811_ae0709d4b4_z.jpg

We walked to the dining room for dinner, and as always it was only about 1/3 full. I ordered the Rockclip fish. This was the first meal I have ever sent back on a cruise. I took one bite, and I really didn’t enjoy it at all. I know food is somewhat subjective and that perhaps others that evening loved it, but I really couldn’t eat it. Our efficient waiter asked what I would like instead, and I opted for the lobster tails, which should have been my first choice! They were fine – a little undercooked for my taste, but certainly edible. I think this was also the evening I had appetizer that was a timbale of shrimp and lobster. It was quite tasty. And for dessert I had the warm milk chocolate soufflé cake with some sort of warm sauce poured into it. Sorry, I can’t remember the exact name or details, but it was very good!

We had planned to go Fiera that night, but had overheard others say that the show was good but much too loud. So we decided to pass, and as usual headed to the Piazza instead (until Mark Franek arrived ;-) ). Now I’m sorry we didn’t give Fiera a try, as I’ve read very positive comments about the show here on Cruise Critic.

On this night we also headed up to Deck 16 for a drink at the Sea View bar, and to check out the water fountain show. I thought the show was quite good, and it did remind me of the dancing fountains at Bellagio in Las Vegas. The show stopped and restarted several times, while a man with a walkie-talkie stood by giving directions. It seemed to still be somewhat in beta mode ;-) I enjoyed watching the fountains, but I really think it’s probably something you’d only bother to watch once, and only then if it’s a warm, not too windy night. I'm really not convinced that the dancing fountains are a good use of prime space. My husband’s reaction was, “meh”.

14302071415_ca90cdf4a6_z.jpg

Once back in the Piazza we found the band Evolution just starting up for the ‘Regal Ball’. We watched the action from Crooner’s, and this turned out to be such a fun time. The band is terrific, and the crowd were enthusiastic. The Brazilians, Mexicans and Italians seemed to be really having a really good time, and it was so much fun watching it all. At one point they formed a giant conga line. There was a videographer capturing the whole scene, and he was excited by their enthusiasm. At one point he jumped up, near the water pool and the stairs, and smacked the top of his head into the steps above. Ouch. He really did hit his head hard, and he left immediately and was replace with another videographer. Hopefully he was OK.

14302061245_6e8b6581fe_z.jpg

Once the party ended, we headed off to bed. We had really enjoyed our time in Istanbul, but I was also looking forward to Mykonos the next day.

A few random notes regarding the washrooms (that's restroom for Americans, and toilets or WC for British and other Europeans :-) : the women's washroom's on the Regal were often out of service. There would sometimes be two out of four stalls "out of order". Puzzling for a new ship. And I also find the design of the women's washrooms on the Royal/Regal to be poor - there's simply not enough space. The entrance area is often just a narrow corridor, and when more than two women show up to use the washroom, they have to wait outside or prop the door open while in line. I just found the washrooms cramped and inefficient.

Thanks Grammyluvs, and thanks again to all of you who have posted such kind comments.

I took a camera on this trip, but rarely used it. The battery on my iPhone lasts much longer, and I could upload photos to Facebook, etc. immediately while on board. And really, I think the pictures are as good as those I can take with my camera.

I am so loving your review. We did this trip in 2010 on the Ruby so I am enjoying hearing about the Regal and your adventures bring back so many good memories.. Your pictures are great. It is amazing how well the iPhone camera makes such great pictures. Can’t wait for the next installment.

Our cabin was C626 (Caribe deck), so we were near the aft, but not truly aft! I did look down on those true aft balconies however (see photo below) from the Horizon Terrace. This photo was taken after about four days, and I didn't see much evidence of soot. We certainly had none on our balcony.

14302057845_88823c8896_z.jpg

Hi,

Were sailing in August and have heard that soot is still landing on the aft balconies. Have notice any soot on your aft balcony and if so how much!

Thanks Grammyluvs, and thanks again to all of you who have posted such kind comments.

I took a camera on this trip, but rarely used it. The battery on my iPhone lasts much longer, and I could upload photos to Facebook, etc. immediately while on board. And really, I think the pictures are as good as those I can take with my camera.

Just wanted to jump in here and let you know that I am NOT ignoring you! I'm saving this valuable space for your intensive comments and really great pictures. I've been following along since post #1. Keep up the great work! :D

Thanks that great news... your review is great and now I'm excited about Instanbul as we are walking it ourselves. We're you able to find maps locally or did you use your map aps (mentioned earlier) to navigate Instanbul?