Doyle's Restaurant at OPT to close.

The iconic Doyle's restaurant at the OPT will close its doors on the 9th of June for the last time. Originally Doyle's was going to continue trading but have changed their mind due to the extensions to the wharf area in front of them and the ever increasing number of cruise ships using the terminal which adversely affects their business, especially the lunch time trade considering the loss of harbour views on those days. Sad to see them go but I guess it may mean even more room for the Terminal to expand. No truth in the rumour that a McDonalds will open in their place:D

Hopefully this will be a step in the direction of restoring the OPT to be a fully functional cruise terminal. I understand that these leases were first let out in the 70's?? when cruising suffered a slump in popularity

Barry

Hopefully this will be a step in the direction of restoring the OPT to be a fully functional cruise terminal. I understand that these leases were first let out in the 70's?? when cruising suffered a slump in popularity

Barry

Agreed, the OPT does need an upgrade although I still think it is better than the current alternatives due to its location.:D

Doyles at the OPT was not great last time I dined there around Christmas time. Greasy food and poor service - I'd say if that was indicative of the general standards then it was more likely to be the reason for it closing down

I gave up on Doyles years ago after a visit to the Watson's Bay restaurant where the service was appalling, the food was expensive and badly cooked, and they charged $12 for an 80ml glass of cheap sparkling wine. Another seafood restaurant, that we still go to, was charging $9 for 120mls of a better quality sparkling at the time.

The OPT is an embarrassment of so terminal...needs to be totally rebuilt.

Sue

That is kind of what they are doing. Hopefully you will notice the difference when you berth there in October.

Compared with some of the other terminals in Australia, IMO the OPT is not too bad. It can be congested (but try some of the OS ones) but its location can't be beaten. I for one am happy to put up with the less than perfect facilities to keep cruising out of the OPT.

I gave up on Doyles years ago after a visit to the Watson's Bay restaurant where the service was appalling, the food was expensive and badly cooked, and they charged $12 for an 80ml glass of cheap sparkling wine. Another seafood restaurant, that we still go to, was charging $9 for 120mls of a better quality sparkling at the time.

Also...I would hardly call Doyles at the OPT "Iconic"... that term should be reserved for the original at Watto Bay. Pity its standards have slipped... it was one of THE places to go when I lived in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney many many moons ago.

That said, I think I preferred the Beer Garden at the Watto Bay Pub :D

cheers

Compared with some of the other terminals in Australia, IMO the OPT is not too bad. It can be congested (but try some of the OS ones) but its location can't be beaten. I for one am happy to put up with the less than perfect facilities to keep cruising out of the OPT.

Agreed, it's not the most incredible, luxury terminal - but it does its job well.

Yes I think Doyle's has always been overrated IMHO. We have dined there a few times, both OPT and Watson's Bay and each time we hope it will be a better experience than the last time, but alas, it was not to be. I am not surprised that they are closing down.

Watson's Bay Pub IS much better! :D

We dined there once but it was to watch a ship sail. Not very impressed but it was a great position.

If you want Iconic you cant go past Steynes at Manly. Whenever we have a day in Sydney we board the Manly ferry and walk down to Steynes for a seafood lunch.

We prefer the Oyster Bar on the other side of Circular Quay. Much better views, really good food but not cheap. But then neither was Doyles.

I highly recommend it next time you're in Sydney.

BTW what's the best place for seafood and views in Auckland these days?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

agreed, The location makes up for its shortcomings.:D

We prefer the Oyster Bar on the other side of Circular Quay. Much better views, really good food but not cheap. But then neither was Doyles.

I highly recommend it next time you're in Sydney.

BTW what's the best place for seafood and views in Auckland these days?

Love the big breakky there.:D

never had a problem with 4 departures and 5 arrivals at OPT & location is A1.

I have eaten at Doyles, Quay and a few ot the other restaurants at OPT. It must be an issue for them when a ship is in, particularly overnight, as it is the view as much as the food you are paying for.

Anyway, look forward to the refurbished OPT and many more departures from there.

That is kind of what they are doing. Hopefully you will notice the difference when you berth there in October.

Hopefully it will be ready for our 20 October departure. I'm bringing some new cruisers with me so it would be great to impress them though we've always been happy with the quick & efficient service we've received in the past! :)

Hopefully it will be ready for our 20 October departure. I'm bringing some new cruisers with me so it would be great to impress them though we've always been happy with the quick & efficient service we've received in the past! :)

Hopefully that remains true, I have never had any issues with the OPT but then I haven't tried to get onto the ship at 11am but went and had a nice lunch and boarded at 3pm instead.:D

I have to agree with other posters. Have only eaten at Doyles's once, and found it over priced and over rated for what it was. Would definately not place it in the icon catergory. Clearing any obsticles to enhance the terminal is a good direction to take - for my two cents worth.

Also...I would hardly call Doyles at the OPT "Iconic"... that term should be reserved for the original at Watto Bay. Pity its standards have slipped... it was one of THE places to go when I lived in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney many many moons ago.

That said, I think I preferred the Beer Garden at the Watto Bay Pub :D

cheers

Hi,

You wouldn,t want to try the beer garden there now...I have been at watto bay all my life and the pub was recently sold and has been converted into yuppyville...unfortunate ......high prices 85.00 a bottle of sav blanc....27.00 fish & chips.

As regard to the restaurant on the beach.....the quality has slipped.Alice and Jack Doyle would roll in their graves if they saw whats happened.

The take away on the wharf is good value.

Col:)

Hi,

You wouldn,t want to try the beer garden there now...I have been at watto bay all my life and the pub was recently sold and has been converted into yuppyville...unfortunate ......high prices 85.00 a bottle of sav blanc....27.00 fish & chips.

As regard to the restaurant on the beach.....the quality has slipped.Alice and Jack Doyle would roll in their graves if they saw whats happened.

That is a shame in that it has also gone downhill.:(

Hi,

Yes I remember going to Watson Bay Pub in the late 60's. 20 cents a schooner then. These days it is a tourist trap, like Darling Harbour and the Rocks.

With Doyles at the OPT going as well as Watson Bay pub, it seems the Doyle Family is shutting up shop.

Edited by NSWP

Yes I remember going to Watson Bay Pub in the late 60's. 20 cents a schooner then. These days it is a tourist trap, like Darling Harbour and the Rocks.

With Doyles at the OPT going as well as Watson Bay pub, it seems the Doyle Family is shutting up shop.

Another sydney icon gone or gone downhill anyway.:D