HAL vs. Carnival

Woody9

We are considering HAL Amsterdam out of Seattle or the Carnival Miracle, also out of Seattle. We already booked our flights for this July, so I am stuck with this choice.

Amsterdam cruise:

Cruising Puget Sound

Tracy Arm

Juneau

Ketchican

Sitka

Victoria

Miracle cruise:

Inside passage (1st evening/night)

Tracy Arm

Skagway

Juneau

Victoria

THoughts or suggestions?

Anybody been on both of these ships?

Any comments on cruising Puget Sound?

Sitka vs. Skagway?

Miracle has propulsion problems and is shortening and/or missing a port call based on attainable speed. Carnival is not going to fix the problem until a scheduled dry dock.

HAL is a good way to go if you want to unwind and just watch the scenery pass by. Different crowds. HAL older more sedate cruising. Carnival for the younger more active cruisers.

This year it would be HAL hands down because of the propulsion issues.

We cruised on the HAL Amsterdam a couple of summers ago and it definitely is a more sedate experience then say Princess or Carnival. But the itinerary offered on HAL seems much better to me. I would not want to miss out on Ketchikan and while Skagway is a wonderful port, Sitka is just as amazing in its own right and if I were to choose I would probably say I prefer Sitka.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Even though I am booked on the Miracle, I am now leaning toward canceling and booking the Amsterdam cruise.

Any Carnival defenders?

We cruised on the HAL Amsterdam a couple of summers ago and it definitely is a more sedate experience then say Princess or Carnival. But the itinerary offered on HAL seems much better to me. I would not want to miss out on Ketchikan and while Skagway is a wonderful port, Sitka is just as amazing in its own right and if I were to choose I would probably say I prefer Sitka.

Can you please comment on the activities in Ketchikan and Sitka that you enjoyed?

Absolutely HAL, there is no way I would recommend the Miracle itinerary. Especially to anyone with isn't going to be going there frequently.

Other than missing out on Ketchikan, what is wrong with the Miracle itinerary?

Can you please comment on the activities in Ketchikan and Sitka that you enjoyed?

Sitka has an amazing history and the Russian influence is fascinating. It is a lovely, walkable town with much to see. We visited the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, enjoyed the New Archangel Dancers, visited the Raptor Center and walked through the rainforest park. We also visited a Brown Bear sanctuary which was very enjoyable. On another visit we took a boat tour out to the Silver Bay Salmon hatchery and saw lots of wildlife. It's a stunning place.

Ketchikan is an incredibly fun port with plenty to do. We have gone salmon fishing, watched black bear fishing salmon out of the creek at Herring Cove, hiked at Ward Lake and the rainforest trail. We have explored the town and Creek Street and enjoyed the totem poles at Saxman Village and Totem Bight park. It's always a favorite stop for us.

Other than missing out on Ketchikan, what is wrong with the Miracle itinerary?

Missing Ketchikan is huge. Plus the route is lacking, way too much open ocean time on an already less scenic routing. (round trip Seattle= least scenic)

You may want to research all of the R/T itineraries from Seattle. Many include Glacier Bay on the itinerary and it should probably be a priority if you don't plan to make multiple trips.

Have fun choosing!

Very helpful, thank you! I will definitely check out all your suggestions.

Unfortunately, there is no itinerary to Glacier Bay that works with our flights this time. Next time I will know better!

While I have no problems with Carnival as a cruise line, I would definitely choose the HAL itinerary. We have done two Alaskan cruises ( both round trip out of Seattle) one on Royal Caribbean and one on HAL. We loved them both. Sitka and Ketchikan are both wonderful ports, and in both of these we have found plenty to do without paying for excursions. We're trying a southbound Alaskan cruise on Princess in a couple of weeks, so I will have another cruise line to add to my list.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Okay, I'll be the lone voice for Carnival.

Yes, Ketchikan is a nice port, but you will have less than 5 hours in the port. Not that great a loss if you ask me. Many of the really cool things people talked about May not even be available to you in the short time you are there. Yes, you can get 5 hours, but what is the trade off elsewhere.

On Carnival, you are in Skagway 14 hours. Sitka May be nice, but you can do so much in 14 hours, including several different tours if you want. You can also go back into the Yukon, which is beautiful.

On Carnival you also get a useable amount of time in Victoria. HAL stops there, mostly, because of the PVSA. The 3 extra daylight hours on the Carnival cruise can be used to go to Butchart Gardens, hit a couple of awesome pubs, or do High Tea at the Empress.

Finally, with Carnival you get all day in the Tracy Arm fjord. They have an excursion where you board a smaller boat and cruise right up to the shores and right near the Sawyer Glacier. They offer it twice so as to get more people to be able to go. Not sure if HAL has that, but they don't even go into the fjord until late afternoon, so....

It's not just about which ports you go to, sometimes it's about how long you get to be there. Time is a constant, and trade offs will have to be made. Look at all the variables.

Not sure what the prices are, or even if that matters to you, but on the Miracle you can get a balcony (a must for this cruise) without having to get a suite. You really want to be able to sit on your balcony and watch the scenery.

I have been to Alaska before (Princess) and am going again in 5 days. And looking at the 2 itineraries, I think they are a LOT closer than the other responders would allow. Be sure to factor into your decision the amount of time in each port and whether or not that will meet your needs.

Either way, enjoy your cruise. Alaska is a beautiful place, and once will likely not be enough for you.

Bob

Okay, I'll be the lone voice for Carnival.

Yes, Ketchikan is a nice port, but you will have less than 5 hours in the port. Not that great a loss if you ask me. Many of the really cool things people talked about May not even be available to you in the short time you are there. Yes, you can get 5 hours, but what is the trade off elsewhere.

On Carnival, you are in Skagway 14 hours. Sitka May be nice, but you can do so much in 14 hours, including several different tours if you want. You can also go back into the Yukon, which is beautiful.

On Carnival you also get a useable amount of time in Victoria. HAL stops there, mostly, because of the PVSA. The 3 extra daylight hours on the Carnival cruise can be used to go to Butchart Gardens, hit a couple of awesome pubs, or do High Tea at the Empress.

Finally, with Carnival you get all day in the Tracy Arm fjord. They have an excursion where you board a smaller boat and cruise right up to the shores and right near the Sawyer Glacier. They offer it twice so as to get more people to be able to go. Not sure if HAL has that, but they don't even go into the fjord until late afternoon, so....

It's not just about which ports you go to, sometimes it's about how long you get to be there. Time is a constant, and trade offs will have to be made. Look at all the variables.

Not sure what the prices are, or even if that matters to you, but on the Miracle you can get a balcony (a must for this cruise) without having to get a suite. You really want to be able to sit on your balcony and watch the scenery.

I have been to Alaska before (Princess) and am going again in 5 days. And looking at the 2 itineraries, I think they are a LOT closer than the other responders would allow. Be sure to factor into your decision the amount of time in each port and whether or not that will meet your needs.

Either way, enjoy your cruise. Alaska is a beautiful place, and once will likely not be enough for you.

Bob

Your thinking is skewed. The Carnival route is lacking with 3 days of open ocean. The Ketchikan time allows just about all the listed activities. There isn't "all day" in Tracy Arm. they don't even enter until 11am and the boat tours offered are actually SHORTER than any other cruiseline. Have you been to Sitka? (this isn't on any of the itineraries until Sept anyway)

Victoria The last 2 weeks the ship didn't clear until after 3pm. Huge amounts of people and long waits to get off the ship. The museums close at 5pm. $11pp round trip expense to Inner Harbor, walking added 20 minutes each way at a steady pace. Butchart could be the bonus when they extend their hours later in the season.

Yes it is all about choices. Carnival is giving the least Alaska this season. Alaska- "may" be the reason people are taking these cruises. I just spent 3 weeks on the Miracle with way too many completely uninformed people. Those on this board won't be one of them.

Edited by Budget Queen

We are booked on the CCL Legend next June Ours will be a party of 11 ranging in ages from 12 to 85. I'm doing a lot of the advanced work for us as that is the normal routine for our family trips, but of course discuss these with everyone.

Carnival seems to have the reputation of more of a party experience and while none of us are party animals, a trip to Alaska seems to be more sedate than trips to the Caribbean or Mexico. Generally we will be observing nature in a variety of ways but I don't want the younger ones to feel as though on a dull trip with a bunch of seniors. I'm hoping that activities on Carnival will counter balance any sense of "nothing exciting to see" on this trip.

Now please let me be clear, I am NOT saying HAL or any other cruise line with trips to Alaska are floating retirement centers. I just chose Carnival because we have used them before, enjoyed the experiences, and feel that it may better suit our entire party this trip.

Since we fly to Seattle one year from today I've got plenty of time to research and book excursions and will have my hands full trying to make everyone happy and make sure they have a great time

Your thinking is skewed. The Carnival route is lacking with 3 days of open ocean. The Ketchikan time allows just about all the listed activities. There isn't "all day" in Tracy Arm. they don't even enter until 11am and the boat tours offered are actually SHORTER than any other cruiseline. Have you been to Sitka? (this isn't on any of the itineraries until Sept anyway)

Victoria The last 2 weeks the ship didn't clear until after 3pm. Huge amounts of people and long waits to get off the ship. The museums close at 5pm. $11pp round trip expense to Inner Harbor, walking added 20 minutes each way at a steady pace. Butchart could be the bonus when they extend their hours later in the season.

Yes it is all about choices. Carnival is giving the least Alaska this season. Alaska- "may" be the reason people are taking these cruises. I just spent 3 weeks on the Miracle with way too many completely uninformed people. Those on this board won't be one of them.

I would listen to BQ on this. She usually is pro-Carnival in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

Your thinking is skewed.

Well, opinions certainly vary. I could certainly say the same about your thinking.

The Ketchikan time allows just about all the listed activities.

We had 8 hours there on our cruise and it seemed like a good amount of time. Hard to imagine going on a fishing charter or some of those other activities in less than 5 hours (and that's being generous). It could happen, but I hate having to rush, and it often diminishes my enjoyment of that port.

There isn't "all day" in Tracy Arm. they don't even enter until 11am and the boat tours offered are actually SHORTER than any other cruiseline.

11 am would still be better than 3 pm, no? My math tells me that's 4 hours more. And while the boat tour may be shorter, the extra time allows them to offer 2 of the tours, which can make a big difference when 2000 people are vying for spots.

Victoria The last 2 weeks the ship didn't clear until after 3pm. Huge amounts of people and long waits to get off the ship.

Okay, so this stop of 8 hours isn't worth it because there were long lines of people waiting to get off, but somehow 5 hours in Ketchikan (with, I would assume, the same crowds rushing to get off for those few hours) is soooo worth it. Something isn't making sense here. I loved Victoria, and am very glad our stay was extended to make it a real stop rather than just a PVSA stop. I liked Ketchikan, but given the choice, I preferred Victoria. As I said above, opinions vary.

A real stop in Victoria, a longer time in Tracy Arm, and a huge block in Skagway. And what you give up is 5 hours in Ketchikan. You may think that the choice is cut and dry, but I don't. And neither do a lot of "informed" people.

I just spent 3 weeks on the Miracle with way too many completely uninformed people. Those on this board won't be one of them.

Yeah, I was on her for 16 of those days as well. Most of the people I talked to were completely INformed. We had about 100 in our roll call group and we talked about it at length. Additionally, our roll call for Alaska has talked about it at length. Many of them have been to Alaska before and most agree that missing Ketchikan is not the end of the world. Not if you extend other ports. To be honest, I thought many of them would take the opt out, but none are doing that. People seem to be happy with the itinerary. Sorry that you weren't.

Look, as I said, the OP just needs to make sure that s/he is comparing apples to apples. Everyone was making it sound like everything was equal but Carnival was missing the most crucial port. Well, everything else isn't equal. The extra time in other ports can be a very big deal to people. Not you, it would seem, but to others it might. I have no dog in this fight. I don't get a commission if the OP stays with Carnival. BUT, being UNinformed is a 2 way street, and the OP was only getting one side. Apples to apples is all I am after.

Bob

Yeah, I was on her for 16 of those days as well. Most of the people I talked to were completely INformed. We had about 100 in our roll call group and we talked about it at length. Additionally, our roll call for Alaska has talked about it at length. Many of them have been to Alaska before and most agree that missing Ketchikan is not the end of the world. Not if you extend other ports. To be honest, I thought many of them would take the opt out, but none are doing that. People seem to be happy with the itinerary. Sorry that you weren't.

Look, as I said, the OP just needs to make sure that s/he is comparing apples to apples. Everyone was making it sound like everything was equal but Carnival was missing the most crucial port. Well, everything else isn't equal. The extra time in other ports can be a very big deal to people. Not you, it would seem, but to others it might. I have no dog in this fight. I don't get a commission if the OP stays with Carnival. BUT, being UNinformed is a 2 way street, and the OP was only getting one side. Apples to apples is all I am after.

Bob

16 days???? Who are you? Since you must not have been a regular passenger boarding in Seattle? Funny, you didn't know the Tracy Arm, or Victoria details IF you were on the ship??

Final comment- you really think that Carnival has the "passenger" in mind when they have 2 Tracy Arm add on tours offered? You've got to be kidding- they offer if to add revenue in the time they have. These tours hold over 200 people, there were less than 150 passengers on each of the tours I took.

Carnival seems to have the reputation of more of a party experience and while none of us are party animals, a trip to Alaska seems to be more sedate than trips to the Caribbean or Mexico. Generally we will be observing nature in a variety of ways but I don't want the younger ones to feel as though on a dull trip with a bunch of seniors. I'm hoping that activities on Carnival will counter balance any sense of "nothing exciting to see" on this trip.

You are making a very wrong assumption. These ideas pertain ONLY to the Caribbean. Demographics are similar to any other cruise line sailing Alaska - middle aged and above the bulk. There also are NOT the activities all day long or the activities of the Caribbean you may be expecting. There was very little going on during the day. A lot of trivia was noted, and bingo. So just be prepared.

I decided to go with Carnival because of the Tracy Arm private boat tour you can do with Carnival. Every review I have read says that was the highlight of their cruise. That is important to me (I see HAL offers it too, didn't know that but would not have changed my mind). Plus the $150 OBC is nice (eventhough I Just booked the cruise, I ended up still getting it). lolol

I also did not want to miss SKagway.

Edited by Lisichka

You are making a very wrong assumption. These ideas pertain ONLY to the Caribbean. Demographics are similar to any other cruise line sailing Alaska - middle aged and above the bulk. There also are NOT the activities all day long or the activities of the Caribbean you may be expecting. There was very little going on during the day. A lot of trivia was noted, and bingo. So just be prepared.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make---that a trip to Alaska does not have the typical party atmosphere of a Caribbean cruise. I was just hoping that Carnival would have more choices than the other lines would offer on an Alaskan cruise