Ads on sidebar

toothmaker

Actually, I'm starting to have a BIG problem with the fact that websites I go to all of a sudden are showing up on this site. I kind of resent that I'm being "followed" so closely. I feel like my privacy is being violated. I'm going to have to give this some thought whether I was to be tracked this much. As much as I love this website - I don't like that they are throwing ads in my face from a website I have visited.

Actually, I'm starting to have a BIG problem with the fact that websites I go to all of a sudden are showing up on this site. I kind of resent that I'm being "followed" so closely.

That kind of advertising "followup" is not limited to this site. It has probably happened to you on many other sites, but was not noticed before.

I agree with others- The new ad layout is obnoxious. The layout is not visually appealing and it takes way too much of the screen - very annoying.

I agree.

Edited by tjwa
spelling

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I use Ad Blocker and see none of the ads other than the number that have been blocked - this is the UK - dont know if that makes any difference.

I use Adblock and I don't see any blank spaces or the number that have been blocked. Just a clean page.

I use Adblock and I don't see any blank spaces or the number that have been blocked. Just a clean page.

I've got an Adblock symbol on the address bar at the right hand side (small red hexagon with white hand in it) with a number attatched to it showing the number of blocks. On the thread it shows 5 blocked - on the page I am typing on , it shows 1. I can put up with static adverts, but those that flash and scroll are so distracting that I just leave the blocker on permanently. I dont feel I'm doing a dis-service to CC as their advertisers and CC itself will e-mail me anyway.

I'm not opposed to ads. I just don't like them hogging right side of screen and making visual experience unpleasant. This is a visual medium. Make it nice for patrons or we will go elsewhere. :mad:

Sounds like somebody put on a pair of Grumpy Pants for that post! :eek:

Seriously now, chill brother, go with the flow, it's all good. I think there's very few forums that don't have some sort of ads. Many of them pop up in the middle of the screen or in other obtrusive places and/or force you to click on them to make them go away. Keep your right sidebar ads Cruise Critic, they're out of the way and we don't have to look at them if we don't want to. For what I had to pay to be able to read all these wonderful cruise postings, me thinks I'm getting the good part of the deal. :D

Many of them pop up in the middle of the screen or in other obtrusive places and/or force you to click on them to make them go away.

As has been mentioned in several posts in this thread,

you could take some simple steps and never have this

happen again. Same with CC ads.

I installed adblock and it removes ad but not the check cruise price box so the right hand margin still contains a large amount of white space. I've tried the other so-called easy solutions and they are not so easy (or don't work).

As for people who just say "get used to it", all I can say is what's wrong with you people? Somebody is paying for eyeballs looking at this site and if those eyeballs don't like what they are seeing, that's not going to last too long. Sponsors and managers, LISTEN TO THE EYEBALLS!

Edited by philv

I installed adblock and it removes ad but not the check cruise price box so the right hand margin still contains a large amount of white space. I've tried the other so-called easy solutions and they are not so easy (or don't work).

As for people who just say "get used to it", all I can say is what's wrong with you people? Somebody is paying for eyeballs looking at this site and if those eyeballs don't like what they are seeing, that's not going to last too long. Sponsors and managers, LISTEN TO THE EYEBALLS!

I don't get why a margin of white space is so upsetting to you. I rather like it; it makes the posts easier to read and gives the eye a "rest."

Plus, you're totally missing the point of the ads. They're what's keeping you from paying for your eyeballs to look at this site. Would you rather that? Leaving a site you (presumably) enjoy visiting just because of a few exceedingly unobtrusive and easy-to-ignore ads is kinda silly but whatevs, dude.

I don't get why a margin of white space is so upsetting to you. I rather like it; it makes the posts easier to read and gives the eye a "rest."

Plus, you're totally missing the point of the ads. They're what's keeping you from paying for your eyeballs to look at this site. Would you rather that? Leaving a site you (presumably) enjoy visiting just because of a few exceedingly unobtrusive and easy-to-ignore ads is kinda silly but whatevs, dude.

As for the white space, this is a visual medium, it should be visually attractive. Too much white space is just bad graphic design.

As for ads, I don't mind ads, they are ubiquitous across the internet and I understand the economics. It's the PLACEMENT of these ads. Ad placement can be better designed and pleasing to the eye, and eyeballs is what it's all about.

As for the white space, this is a visual medium, it should be visually attractive. Too much white space is just bad graphic design.

As for ads, I don't mind ads, they are ubiquitous across the internet and I understand the economics. It's the PLACEMENT of these ads. Ad placement can be better designed and pleasing to the eye, and eyeballs is what it's all about.

Agreed.

This is my experience also. The ads go, but not the white space.

Exactly! I am no graphic design expert, but I worked on Yearbook in college and what space bugs me! Plus the fact that it makes the actual text seem crammed over to one side.

This is my experience also. The ads go, but not the white space.

Exactly! I am no graphic design expert, but I worked on Yearbook in college and what space bugs me! Plus the fact that it makes the actual text seem crammed over to one side.

Just increase the size of the print to fill the screen space (with the banner ad's on the right hidden from view). Admittedly the print is a little large but at least you don't have to look at the ad's.

I installed adblock and it removes ad but not the check cruise price box so the right hand margin still contains a large amount of white space.

Click on the adblock 'stop sign'

Click on 'block element'

Click on the cruise quote box

You might have to repeat this 2-3 times for each element in the quote box

Click on the adblock 'stop sign'

Click on 'block element'

Click on the cruise quote box

You might have to repeat this 2-3 times for each element in the quote box

That worked for removing the cruise quote box, you the man pablo222.

But the white space remains. Imagine if your television looked like that.

When I visit CC now, I simply increase the size of the content to 125% (there is a dropdown arrow on the lower right of my screen that is usually set to 100%. I just bump this up to 125%). A slide bar then appears at the bottom of the screen and I use it to slide to the left. The board content fills 98% of the screen with just enough margin on the right so that I see none of the ads. Everything looks exactly the way it did before, except everything is bigger. It does look a bit odd at first, but as I get older, this is probably a good adjustment. :p I do have to toggle back to 100% when I leave CC, but that is a minor adjustment to make to get rid of the horrid looking new format. Hate to say it, but I'd actually prefer to pay a modest sum than be bombarded by ads. Especially from companies whose websites I visit the most. By definition, I already know who those companies are, what products they offer, and avail myself of them when the need arises. Funny how that works.

When I visit CC now, I simply increase the size of the content to 125% (there is a dropdown arrow on the lower right of my screen that is usually set to 100%. I just bump this up to 125%). A slide bar then appears at the bottom of the screen and I use it to slide to the left. The board content fills 98% of the screen with just enough margin on the right so that I see none of the ads. Everything looks exactly the way it did before, except everything is bigger. It does look a bit odd at first, but as I get older, this is probably a good adjustment. :p I do have to toggle back to 100% when I leave CC, but that is a minor adjustment to make to get rid of the horrid looking new format. Hate to say it, but I'd actually prefer to pay a modest sum than be bombarded by ads. Especially from companies whose websites I visit the most. By definition, I already know who those companies are, what products they offer, and avail myself of them when the need arises. Funny how that works.

That works but I feel like I'm reading the large print books at the library.