iguazu Falls Excursion

lindaa

We are considering the South America Dec 8, 2014 cruise from Buenos Aires. Embarkation is the 8th with a departure the night of the 9th. There is a two day excursion listed for Iguazu Falls but does anyone know if that excursion is available to folks on embarkation day? The website says that rarely are excursions are available on embarkation days. But since we are docked overnight I was wondering if this might be the exception to the general rule? We cannot take off the additional time to come before the cruise so the ship excursion would be our only opportunity. I appreciate all of you insights! Thanks

We are considering the South America Dec 8, 2014 cruise from Buenos Aires. Embarkation is the 8th with a departure the night of the 9th. There is a two day excursion listed for Iguazu Falls but does anyone know if that excursion is available to folks on embarkation day? The website says that rarely are excursions are available on embarkation days. But since we are docked overnight I was wondering if this might be the exception to the general rule? We cannot take off the additional time to come before the cruise so the ship excursion would be our only opportunity. I appreciate all of you insights! Thanks

These trips are usually offered as a pre-cruise option. I doubt HAL would be able to do it on embarkation day.

If you have the time, it is very easy to plan on your own for a fraction of the cost.

Terri

Can't answer as to HAL's trip, but we extended our stay after our upcoming cruise to include a two night stay at the falls, air, and tours, etc. for less than the one day (no overnight) ship's excursion cost. Someone on our roll call organized it Check your roll call. Someone there may know the answer to your specific question or be organizing a tour.

Edited by HokiePoq

It's a 2 hour flight each way to the falls. The flights back to Buenos Aires leave in late afternoon or early evening. There isn't enough time to fly to Iguazu, see the falls and get back in time for departure.

It's a 2 hour flight each way to the falls. The flights back to Buenos Aires leave in late afternoon or early evening. There isn't enough time to fly to Iguazu, see the falls and get back in time for departure.

Actually some have done it but they run through the trails and only see parts of it, way too crazy for us.

I think the OP is saying the ship is overnighting in BA so I think it is possible HAL could over a tour that starts on embarkation day and gets back on the day the ship sails.

Is your first port Montevideo or Punta del Este? If so, if HAL allows embarkation at the first port you could get yourself the additional time within your cruise.

Just a thought....

Good problem solving.

It adds an expense, but keeps within the OP's timeframe.

OP, you could check in, board, and have time to unpack/repack for your private excursion. Then head off on your own the next day.

I very much doubt HAL would have an excursion, as you wouldn't have time to complete all the check-in procedures and still head on out.

IIRC, the HAL excursion left very early when I've cruised the area.

No way would you be able to get to Iguazu and return within the time frame…plus, the airlines there are notoriously not on time. However, I strongly suggest that you plan an independent trip there (allow 2 nights at Iguazu) to see it. It was amazing. We stayed at "The Secret Garden" Bed and Breakfast which was terrific. The owner arranged for a private driver to take us to the falls and return us. It was all way less than any "organized" excursion would have been. It takes a whole day to see the falls…several vantage points that you really must see it from. It's HOT there…and humid…so be prepared. It is also a rain forest…need I say more. But…do it…wonderful experience.

PS: LAN airlines will weigh and measure your carryons at the gate…resulted in a mountain of luggage that needed to be gate-checked.

No way would you be able to get to Iguazu and return within the time frame…plus, the airlines there are notoriously not on time. However, I strongly suggest that you plan an independent trip there (allow 2 nights at Iguazu) to see it. It was amazing. We stayed at "The Secret Garden" Bed and Breakfast which was terrific. The owner arranged for a private driver to take us to the falls and return us. It was all way less than any "organized" excursion would have been. It takes a whole day to see the falls…several vantage points that you really must see it from. It's HOT there…and humid…so be prepared. It is also a rain forest…need I say more. But…do it…wonderful experience.

PS: LAN airlines will weigh and measure your carryons at the gate…resulted in a mountain of luggage that needed to be gate-checked.

Just further food for thought (we'd stayed with John at the Secret Garden and did likewise with a driver) if you have the time.

We stayed in BA for one night @ the el pavoreal B&B following arrival via overnight flight. Then flew up to Ig Falls for two nights staying at the Secret Garden & dined at the local eateries and had a wonderful time.

In the meantime, Kevin and Diego kept our bags at their BA B&B since we planned to stay with them when we got back to BA for another night. So all we really needed was a small carryon for two nights (you wouldn't need much other then shorts, T-shirts & bathing suits really due to the aforementioned heat ).

I bought tickets on-line for the RT BA-IgFalls using Aero Argentina. The tickets were fairly inexpensive at the time (2011) and the flights, happily, were on time. Be also aware that the domestic airline airport is located closerer to town (BA) and a 20 min cab drive (versus close to an hour from the international airport) is not out of the question depending on which section of the city your accomodations are located at.

We then boarded the Veendam for a 17 day Antarctic cruise. We had a blast!

If interested, you can go to our Picasa photo site link

below and scroll down to the 2011 cruise folders and see BA, the B&B's and Ig Falls, etc.

Have a great time!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

Is your first port Montevideo or Punta del Este? If so, if HAL allows embarkation at the first port you could get yourself the additional time within your cruise.

Just a thought....

When I was planning my trip last year, I looked at this possibility. Montevideo, although only about 60 miles across the river, is about a 11 hour drive or 3 hour ferry ride or 1.5 hour plane ride (from Buenos Aires) There is only one flight per day from Buenos Aires that will contact with a flight from IGR on the same day and will get you to MVD before 4 pm. It leaves IGR at 8 am. Ships sometimes miss Punta del Este.

Glad you mentioned the two different airports…we almost didn't think about that when we made our reservations…and of course returning we had to take a cab between the two to get to our international flight back to the US. Just more FYI.

I guess another option would be to not checkin to the ship until day 2. Most US flights come in early so you could probably get to Iguazu by noon or so that first day. You could do the upper falls that afternoon and the lower in the morning. Then catch a noon flight out back to Buenos Aires. The airport you fly back to is very close to the port.