Tote Bag

TxWendy

I have been trying to decide on a tote bag to use for my up coming cruise in a few weeks. I need something to carry my pool stuff/as well as when I get off the ship for excursion.Nothing really big it is just DH and myself. Does anyone have the cruise critic tote bag? Here is the link it looks nice and durable plus it looks like you can wiped clean if need be. ;) http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=19

RCI also has a nice one any thoughts would be appreciated.:D

That looks like a nice tote bag for the price.

I am always looking for the perfect tote bag and found one on LLbean. By the time I wanted to buy it, several months later, they had stopped carrying it.

Things I look for are, something that has some water resistance, a shoulder strap and pockets. I like some versatility.

Good luck with getting a good tote.

I like a zipper top, if possible, and if not, I sew velcro strips on the top so I can close the top If I wish.

HAL gives a tote on every cruise the night before the first port. I have a huge collection of the cotton totes they gave for years and have used them for all sorts of things. The ones they now give aren't so great. :shrug: I'm glad I collected so many of the others. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I have been trying to decide on a tote bag to use for my up coming cruise in a few weeks. I need something to carry my pool stuff/as well as when I get off the ship for excursion.Nothing really big it is just DH and myself. Does anyone have the cruise critic tote bag? Here is the link it looks nice and durable plus it looks like you can wiped clean if need be. ;) http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=19

TxWendy,

That sounds like a great deal to me. I think I might get one for myself (as if I need another bag of any kind...LOL).

I have a couple RCI totes...and a few I've bought at target....a tote is a tote...pick one!

There are MANY different kinds of tote bags....ones that zipper across

the top, some that don't have a zip. Some have longer straps, some

shorter.

A tote is not a tote.......there are many varieties...........so to say

"A tote is a tote"........not true.

May I recommend the KYSS bag? I heard about it here on CC and got one (as did many others) and I love it - some added security when required.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1836932&highlight=kyss

I actually have used it as my airplane tote bag - then used it onboard or at the beach as a beach bag - lots of pockets - I especially like the 'bottle' holder pockets on the outside.

http://www.kyssbags.com (I have the 'medium' size and find it quite roomy)

Edited by Froufie

• 1 month later...
May I recommend the KYSS bag? I heard about it here on CC and got one (as did many others) and I love it - some added security when required.

I actually have used it as my airplane tote bag - then used it onboard or at the beach as a beach bag - lots of pockets - I especially like the 'bottle' holder pockets on the outside.

http://www.kyssbags.com (I have the 'medium' size and find it quite roomy)

Thanks for mentioning this KYSS bag. I just watched the video and the bag looks very interesting. :)

That being said, I have purchased several different things from the CruiseCritic store and have been very happy with all I received.

I have this tote bag from cc and used it for my "personal item" on our flights to/back from Alaska and on our HAL land tour in Alaska as well as at the Alaska ports on our cruise last month. It does have the zipper closure on the main part of the bag, a large outside pocket, a drink bottle compartment on one end, and cell phone pocket on the other end. It received no attention re the cruise critic logo. I also ordered the toiletries travel bag and liked that too.

I did a lot of looking for a tote bag before we left - I even looked at diaper bags - but this one was the closest to the dimensions I needed at a price I was willing to pay.

www.kyssbags.com (I have the 'medium' size and find it quite roomy)

The website doesn't really show what kind of zipper that is. Is it a plastic coil zipper? Bc those can be easily opened up with something pointy like a pen, even though the zipper pulls are locked together. Would be better if it's metal. Does the lock run thru both the pulls?

The website doesn't really show what kind of zipper that is. Is it a plastic coil zipper? Bc those can be easily opened up with something pointy like a pen, even though the zipper pulls are locked together. Would be better if it's metal. Does the lock run thru both the pulls?

I'm pretty sure it's a metal zipper? (and my bag is packed away so I am not able to check it out...)

You might want to ask any specific questions you have about the bag on the KYSS website? I'm sure they can advise you better thanI can (and they have been very prompt in answering the emails I have sent to them in the past.....):)

Edited by Froufie

I have the tote shown in RCCL's Gifts and Gear. It's nice with all the outside pockets, but my biggest problem with it is it's open on the top. I have another one sitting in front of me as I type, since I'm flying out tomorrow for my bff cruise.

I really like this one and chose to bring it this time instead of the other one. This one is more of a travel bag, and zips closed on top like this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/reusable-cotton-tote-bag-with-Zipper-Closure-10-oz-cotton-canvas-/161368597451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25925163cb

I would recommend a Samsonite tote bag. I was looking for a tote with a zipper top that I could use for iPads, jewelry, medicines and travel documents. I wanted some safety features. The one I chose is still available on the Samsonite web sight. It features an internal padded iPad/tablet pocket with a zipper and a larger pocket on each side with an overall zipper. One of the best features is two small straps sewn into the exterior pocket that clip together, to be clipped around the handle of larger suitcases for transport. These straps can also be clipped around the leg of a chair in restaurants so the bag cannot be snatched. I also added small luggage locks to the zippers. This tote was great when we went to Barcelona and Rome airports and were concerned with pickpockets.

This is the best tote I've ever had. It comes in several colors and looks great. It is tough polyester. Mine is purple. It has held up very well on 6 trips so far.

Margee

I would recommend a Samsonite tote bag. I was looking for a tote with a zipper top that I could use for iPads, jewelry, medicines and travel documents. I wanted some safety features. The one I chose is still available on the Samsonite web sight. It features an internal padded iPad/tablet pocket with a zipper and a larger pocket on each side with an overall zipper. One of the best features is two small straps sewn into the exterior pocket that clip together, to be clipped around the handle of larger suitcases for transport. These straps can also be clipped around the leg of a chair in restaurants so the bag cannot be snatched. I also added small luggage locks to the zippers. This tote was great when we went to Barcelona and Rome airports and were concerned with pickpockets.

This is the best tote I've ever had. It comes in several colors and looks great. It is tough polyester. Mine is purple. It has held up very well on 6 trips so far.

Margee

I'm smiling, because that's very close to my everyday purse! I don't go anywhere without my ipad: hubby has a habit of springing surprise trips to Home Depot on me when we are in the car!

I have an older Vera Bradley bag that works very well. It has a snap closure and lots of big pockets on the inside. The best part, is that after every trip, I can stick it in the wash and it wears very well.

I'm thinking about buying the Cruise Critic tote bag to use on the ship to carry books, sunscreen, etc. Has anyone found that having the CC logo causes the wait staff to "hover" over you hoping for a write-up?

I have never experienced this

I have one word for you - Lug (luglife.com)

They have a wide array of sizes and colours of totes and other bags up to good wheeled carry on bags. The number and variety of pockets some of their bags is astonishing. They are water resistant and most have plastic covered bottoms (some even have little feet to keep them from touching the ground when you set them down).

I won't travel without them. :D

Even DH likes them :D:D