Cancellation of a cruise

Had to cancel a June 1st sailing on the morning of the cruise. We had the platinum insurance, which pays

90%. This is the first time that we have ever had to use the insurance and was very impressed with the way Holland America handled it. Called HAL in the morning and followed it up with an e-mail. They credited my card the next day, which I thought was outstanding.

You never know how good your insurance is until you have to use it.

Had to cancel a June 1st sailing on the morning of the cruise. We had the platinum insurance, which pays

90%. This is the first time that we have ever had to use the insurance and was very impressed with the way Holland America handled it. Called HAL in the morning and followed it up with an e-mail. They credited my card the next day, which I thought was outstanding.

Sorry you had to cancel but at least the refund was a good experience!

I hope this does not come across wrong, but.....while I am so sorry that you had to cancel your June 1st cruise, I am so happy that you were able to book another with us:)

Really looking forward to meeting you both!!

Joanie

Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry you had to cancel, and hope the circumstances were not too serious. I like the concept of Holland's "Cancel for any reason" insurance. You just never know what's around the corner...

Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry you had to cancel' date=' and hope the circumstances were not too serious. I like the concept of Holland's "Cancel for any reason" insurance. You just never know what's around the corner...[/quote']

I would like it better if you could collect the additional 10% when the cancellation reason is medical!

Glad it was sorted out for you quickly. What I like about HAL insurance is that you don't have to commit until final payment. When we've purchased Cancel for any Reason independently, we've had to pay upfront.

I agree. We had this the one time we've had to cancel. I knew about a month after our accident that we'd have to cancel but our wonderful (boy do I miss him) personal cruise consultant had us wait until shortly before the cruise to cancel. This was in the event of overbooking and us being able to get an offer to cancel (no such luck).

Glad it was sorted out for you quickly. What I like about HAL insurance is that you don't have to commit until final payment. When we've purchased Cancel for any Reason independently, we've had to pay upfront.

We asked for Cancel for any Reason insurance (Premium) for our June Med cruise but were told by our TA that this is only available to U.S. and Canadian citizens. Can anyone confirm that this is really the case - we were willing to pay up front but could only get CPP, and unfortunately had to cancel shortly before sailing for health reasons.

We are from Israel and it seems absurd that only US and Canadian citizens can buy the premium insurance. Surely, anyone who is willing to pay for the premium insurance (and most older pax are, I believe) should be eligible? Meantime, we paid in full many thousands of $$$$.

We cannot buy cancel any reason insurance in Australia. Don't know where you are from though.

It is available via the HAL website. I was able to purchase it from Europe.

After final payment we needed to change cruises as the original dates became difficult and as we had the insurance it was no problem to rebook another cruise.

After final payment we needed to change cruises as the original dates became difficult and as we had the insurance it was no problem to rebook another cruise.

Yes we could get Cancel Anytime Insurance from HAL but that would only cover a small proportion of our holiday. We will be travelling for about 8 weeks and need to cover our whole holiday.

Thank you anyway for your information.

Edited by Stratheden
Spelling

I agree -- like the night before we were to fly out I fell and broke my wrist in 2 places.

We must be related--I fell and broke my wrist simplefracture on one side and compound fracture on the other on a Friday before we were to fly to FLL on Sunday. We were sailing on Princess and had Princess insurance. Everything refunded in two weeks. Sounds like HAL's insurance is better.

Better a personal emergency and only 90% than a medical one for 100%. The 10% would have not covered my copays and deductibles. For the surgery and other treatment.

Thanks for that piece of information. Happy to say that we have now received an email from our TA telling us that we will be receiving credit for most of what we paid for our cruise. Our CPP and a certificate from my doctor, verifying that I had pneumonia and was unable to travel for some weeks, helped to achieve this great result.