Is NCL more like Carnival or like Royal Caribbean?

Tapi

Hello everyone:

I'm a Platinum cruiser on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and now I'm looking at taking my first cruise on NCL. The cruise will be a repositioning cruise on the Norwegian Pearl out of Vancouver.

I've been tearing the internet apart, looking at Youtube videos, reading reviews, looking at photos, etc, etc, trying to get a feel for what the Norwegian experience will be like. I'm fully aware that the experience can vary greatly from one ship to another, and even from one sailing to another, but I'm just curious what the general vibe is. Things like service, dining options, ship decor, fellow passengers, atmosphere, entertainment, staterooms, and attention to detail are some of the things that play a role in our enjoyment of a cruise

I'm positive that NCL has its own personality, but for those who've sailed on multiple cruise lines, are there things about NCL that are more like Carnival or more like Royal? While we have enjoyed tremendously our Carnival sailings, we would prefer that the NCL experience leans more towards the Royal experience. :o

Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

Edited by Tapi

A bit casual like CCL. Repo - longer cruise, so demographic will be a little older. So will be a bit quieter, like RCCL.

No assigned dining times. We've found it's best for us to eat early. Seems there was always a line at 6:30-7:30.

Several up-scale dining choices.

Blue Lagoon [the 24 hour place] had great chicken wings....

As you can see, we have sailed on all the lines you have mentioned. My 1st NCL was just last month on a 3 day trial run for a 7 day cruise next year.

I found NCL to be more like RCCL. RCCL has the decor though, but NCL does come closer then CCL. Cabin size, RCCL and NCL are closer in size then CCL. CCL has larger size cabins of the 3 that I have found. Entertainment wise, NCL is closer to RCCL.

I liked the dining options on NCL by far. It is just like Anytime dining on CCL. On the Sky, there were 2 MDR's to choose from. We did 1 2 nights and 1, 1 night. We found the food to be good at all meals.

Service wise, we were blown away by the NCL staff. All workers we came in contact with were nice, smiling, and projected they were happy to be there and not counting the day until they go off on vacation. Our last cruise on RCCL, we were surprised at how unfriendly the staff was. Walking the passageways, they were all looking down and bumping into you without apologizing or walking a path that would mow you down. Our MDR staff were good though...but the rest we came in contact with needed an attitude adjustment.

Passenger wise, they were all nice and courteous on NCL to my wife who rides a scooter. They would hold the door to the elevator. Let her in first. Move to the side when they see her coming. Even the kids!!! I can not say that always happen on both CCL or RCCL last cruises.

The ship (Sky) appeared clean and shinning in all the places I visited. Even the balcony....RCCL was not so on the balcony or looking down by the carpet and against the walls in a few of the passageways. Forget about CCL....Rust was seen on a lot of equipment on the last 2 ships I was on.

Overall, I would say NCL is more like RCCL in all you ask about....

NCL has fewer ships but they are substantially better made than CCL. Great attention to detail, quality materials and decor. Much like RCCL, NCL has good quality beds and bedding.

Even the newer CCL ships can't compare, then again they aren't really supposed to. CCL is a discount mass market line vs RCCL and NCL being just mid market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on RCI 8 times, going on my 8th Carnival in August and did NCL twice. There is no comparison....NCL, in my opinion, is bottom of the barrel! Don't waste your time.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I have been on RCI 8 times, going on my 8th Carnival in August and did NCL twice. There is no comparison....NCL, in my opinion, is bottom of the barrel! Don't waste your time.

The Norwegian ships you have sailed were older and no longer in service. You might want to give the new, modern NCL another try before you write them off for good...or give such a strong opinion. Try it again and then come back and everyone will be more apt to listen...

:)

Hello everyone:

I'm a Platinum cruiser on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and now I'm looking at taking my first cruise on NCL. The cruise will be a repositioning cruise on the Norwegian Pearl out of Vancouver.

I've been tearing the internet apart, looking at Youtube videos, reading reviews, looking at photos, etc, etc, trying to get a feel for what the Norwegian experience will be like. I'm fully aware that the experience can vary greatly from one ship to another, and even from one sailing to another, but I'm just curious what the general vibe is. Things like service, dining options, ship decor, fellow passengers, atmosphere, entertainment, staterooms, and attention to detail are some of the things that play a role in our enjoyment of a cruise

I'm positive that NCL has its own personality, but for those who've sailed on multiple cruise lines, are there things about NCL that are more like Carnival or more like Royal? While we have enjoyed tremendously our Carnival sailings, we would prefer that the NCL experience leans more towards the Royal experience. :o

We took one NCL cruise. NCL America, Hawaiian Interisland. It was the most horrible cruising experience ever! We had been warned by others but tried since it was the only line with that particular itinerary. Every meal was chaotic. Service poor, shows like high school productions. Kids were in ALL the adult areas and staff NEVER asked them to leave, get diapers or diving kids out of the adult 'only' pools, etc. Our friend's cabin toilet was broken and even after repeated requests, it took 3 days to get fixed. Our thermostat was not working properly and regardless of calls, it went I repaired. The staff had excuses for everything! EVERYTHING!!! I will never sail on a NCL cruise again and after our cruise, I wrote and our friends wrote to corporate and customer relations and public relations and barely got an acknowledgement. I told them that I would share my experience and never recommend them whenever I have the opportunity~ and here I am again. Don't waste your money. Go on Celebrity and get your Platinum benefits or keep earning on RCCL to go higher. We are Diamond on RCCL and have 3 DCL and 3 Carnival cruises, 1 Celebrity and recommend them ALL over and above NCL. Try DISNEY. Great line, great service and kids kept out of adult only areas of which there are many. Choose well!

Born in NYC; live in Texas; traveling the world !

18 cruises~ RCCL, DCL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL America~ and 4 continents by air land and counting! To travel is to live!

Edited by mmbl

I have cruised Carnival 22 times and RCCL 11 times. I did cruise NCL in 2003 and wasn't overly impressed so didn't go back until the Star TA in May.

Big mistake on my part for waiting all those years to go back on NCL. Every crew member had a "Hello" with a smile. Even though it is an older ship, it is very well maintained.

I purchased the Ultimate Dining Package so can't comment on food in the main dining rooms. In order to save room for dinner every night I just had cereal for breakfast. Lunch was soup and pretzel rolls and very good.

If you want to go the UDP it is worth every penny.

Enjoy your cruise. Hope you are as impressed with NCL as I am.

This doesn't really answer your question as to which line it is more comparable to but sort of a mix of both. Better entertainment than Carnival and better attitude of crew members than RCCL.

Edited by ChicagoBarb

The Norwegian ships you have sailed were older and no longer in service. You might want to give the new, modern NCL another try before you write them off for good...or give such a strong opinion. Try it again and then come back and everyone will be more apt to listen...

I agree, that opinion is so outdated, long before NCL introduced freestyle cruising even.

OP I'm not sure why you wish it to lean more toward Royal than Carnival. I've never sailed on Royal, but except for a few differences, I found NCL and Carnival very similar.

"Things like service, dining options, ship decor, fellow passengers, atmosphere, entertainment, staterooms, and attention to detail are some of the things that play a role in our enjoyment of a cruise"

Following your list and keep in mind this is only my opinion and other's may differ drastically.

I prefer NCL's freestyle dining to Carnival's YTD, I didn't try fixed dining on Carnival because I prefer to meet people ahead of time and go to dinner than to start out sitting with a bunch of strangers, as well I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when I "should be". If you like fixed dining, NCL could disappoint depending on the sailing and the time you prefer to eat, you may have a wait. We never have on NCL but did on Carnival. If you wish to sit with others, NCL does try to accommodate you if you ask.

Dining options - hands down NCL, although I did miss Guy's Burgers at lunch

ship décor - I don't pay much attention to that, I'm on the ocean to see the ocean (that wouldn't make or break a vacation for us)

Fellow passengers - ? depending on the sailing, I really didn't find a difference, some old, some young, some good natured, some cranky.

entertainment - hands down NCL

Staterooms - Our balcony on Carnival was apparently a little bigger than the ones we had on NCL, I didn't notice a difference to be truthful.

attention to detail (sorry not sure what is meant by that. If you are talking about service, NCL is top notch, but I found the service to be good on Carnival just not quite as attentive.

I did cruise NCL in 2003 and wasn't overly impressed so didn't go back until the Star TA in May.

Big mistake on my part for waiting all those years to go back on NCL. Every crew member had a "Hello" with a smile. Even though it is an older ship, it is very well maintained.

Experience very similar to mine. 1st NCL [sun]- not impressed. 2nd NCL [Dawn]- clean, friendly, good service, shows relied on talent rather than skimpy outfits... They had really upped their game.

Edited by mdvlprof

We took one NCL cruise. NCL America, Hawaiian Interisland. It was the most horrible cruising experience ever! We had been warned by others but tried since it was the only line with that particular itinerary. Every meal was chaotic. Service poor, shows like high school productions. Kids were in ALL the adult areas and staff NEVER asked them to leave, get diapers or diving kids out of the adult 'only' pools, etc. Our friend's cabin toilet was broken and even after repeated requests, it took 3 days to get fixed. Our thermostat was not working properly and regardless of calls, it went I repaired. The staff had excuses for everything! EVERYTHING!!! I will never sail on a NCL cruise again and after our cruise, I wrote and our friends wrote to corporate and customer relations and public relations and barely got an acknowledgement. I told them that I would share my experience and never recommend them whenever I have the opportunity~ and here I am again. Don't waste your money. Go on Celebrity and get your Platinum benefits or keep earning on RCCL to go higher. We are Diamond on RCCL and have 3 DCL and 3 Carnival cruises, 1 Celebrity and recommend them ALL over and above NCL. Try DISNEY. Great line, great service and kids kept out of adult only areas of which there are many. Choose well!

Born in NYC; live in Texas; traveling the world !

18 cruises~ RCCL, DCL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL America~ and 4 continents by air land and counting! To travel is to live!

Another opinion based on a cruise quite a few years ago and on NCL America at that.

OP I'm not sure why you wish it to lean more toward Royal than Carnival. I've never sailed on Royal, but except for a few differences, I found NCL and Carnival very similar .

Royal's product is closest to what our cruising personality is like. We appreciate the more toned down decor without being overly done. We enjoy having different dining options every night. We enjoy a bit higher caliber entertainment. We appreciate the subtle things that heighten the cruise experience, like a more extensive room service menu, a better shopping experience, more functional stateroom features, etc.

We consider ourselves to be "middle of the road" travelers, meaning that we've traveled quite a bit, but we are by no means world connoisseurs. Royal seems to deliver that "middle of the road" experience, where we we feel like we belong.

As mentioned before, we've enjoyed tremendously our Carnival cruises. But we are not big fans of their ships decor. or their entertainment (which feels a bit amateurish at times). We also find ourselves sick of the same dining venues over and over every night, and we wish that we could enjoy a more substantial meal in the privacy of our stateroom. We appreciate Carnival's budget pricing and convenient ports of departure (our 2 closest ports of embarkation are served exclusively by Carnival) and those factors have allowed us to cruise more frequently, but for a special occasion (and this upcoming cruise will be one), we'd prefer just a bit more.

I have not sailed RCCL or Carnival, but did try a line other than NCL. Oceania Cruise Lines, at a premium cost but a sub premium experience. The fellow passengers were great, but the food was very inconsistent and staff could in no way compare with NCL. And I learned NCL keeps very clean, well maintained ships. I like NCL, but I think I may not have realized how good they are until I tried something else. I missed the Norwegian experience so much on my last cruise. Norwegian has a great product and I recommend them to anyone I see. Are they perfect? No, but my experience has been a staff that listens, responds to issues, and seems better each time we cruise. Having discovered how much they satisfy my needs at a much lower price than a premium line, I decided for my next cruise I am doing a suite, for considerably less than what I paid for a concierge cabin on my last cruise. I just hope I don't love it so much I can't go back to a balcony!

I'm not sure, but does this mean I have become a Norwegian cheer leader?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have cruised NCL, RCL, CCL, and Princess-- achieving our highest loyalty on level on NCL (platinum). We enjoy cruising (30+) so we go for the best deal. With that being said, we consider our NCL experience a step above Carnival and a step down from RCL or Princess. However, we have seldom had a bad "moment" when sailing on any cruise line. Why our personal loyalty to NCL--- we think they have free style cruising down to a science, attentive crew and staff, and great loyalty perks. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by shipshipship

j&tcruiser was on an NCL ship in 1996 and 2005.....I think alot has changed since then....in my opinion, I would say give NCL a try and see what you think. Not everybody has the same taste and only you can make your decision.....As for me, I've only sailed NCL and have had 95% great experiences, sure there will be some problems, but what vacation is ever perfect....any problem that I have had, I have always brought to there attention and have been happy.

Hello everyone:

FYI...I did the pacific coast part of this reposition and trust me...lots of children and families...it is only 5 days and a cheap flight home for those in Vancouver. A very strong cultural presence on this cruise as well given that it leaves Vancouver. We unfortunately had some experiences that related to this group that at times had our eyes rolling. ( manners , as I was raised, are are not always accommodated by this ethnic group ). I have attempted to say this as politely and without risk of flaming as nicely as I could. That being said, we let no one ruin our holidays !! Just get over it and focus on all the great aspects of the cruise.

( I personally would compare NCL to Carnival vs RCCL...after reading the rest of your comments later in this thread re the ambiance of RCCL, the décor and ? better entertainment ( I beg differ with you on that one ! ) ...then you will most likely find your experience more like CCL. That being said, the crew and attention on NCL has always been utmost . I find the food in main dining room no where as good as we have had in the dining rooms on Carnival,but the other options available, mind you, at cost, make up for the lack luster food I experienced in the dining room . Mind you we found one dining room much better than the other, and DH had no complaints. Food is so subjective.

I think the entertainment on NCL is hands down some of the best. I was not impressed with RCCl during our only cruise to Alaska. I also found the staff less friendly and less inclined to try and go out of their way to make your holiday extra special. We had an awesome steward, but other than that, very disappointed in the crew .

The Pearl is a great ship and I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Royal's product is closest to what our cruising personality is like. We appreciate the more toned down decor without being overly done. We enjoy having different dining options every night. We enjoy a bit higher caliber entertainment.

We also find ourselves sick of the same dining venues over and over every night, and we wish that we could enjoy a more substantial meal in the privacy of our stateroom. But for a special occasion (and this upcoming cruise will be one), we'd prefer just a bit more.

We liked RCCL, but prefer NCL's freestyle dining by far. We haven't found the NCL décor garish. The specialty restaurants are a nice change from the main dining rooms. I would recommend you look into suites on NCL. Dining in your suite is a total delight with a nice table and chairs and the overall suite experience is fabulous for a special occasion. Overall, we enjoy the entertainment/shows on Norwegian.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Each is branded towards their "target" passengers.

I haven't done carnival but have done RCI and NCL in the last few months.

I agree with an earlier comment that I find the crew on NCL generally more happy and friendly whereas on RCI it feels they are more forced.

NCL geared up more to the freestyle, casual market so I found things like the casual food venues like Garden Cafe / great outdoors miles better than the Windjammer.

The ents did seem more professional on RCI though and the MDR seemed better (maybe as RCI chefs aren't spread out to the multi speciality restaurants like on NCL).

The truth is you need to sample yourself but also beware the newer NCL ships are a lot different to the older ones comparing Getaway in Jan with Spirit in Mar and independence of the Seas this month.

If you're the kind of person who prefers a fixed timetable, to not have to make any choices on ents in the evening etc then you probably won't like the newer NCL ships.

Ditto!

Was on the Star several years ago and it was horrible. 1st time was adequate and second time was positively horrendous. Are you saying they have come a long way from a few years ago? Why should I spend my hard earned money and give them another chance?

And why should sailing on an old ship make a difference? Service and food should be consistent across the fleet. IMHO

Why should I spend my hard earned money and give them another chance?

And why should sailing on an old ship make a difference? Service and food should be consistent across the fleet. IMHO

Don't even give it a second thought. I wouldn't bother trying it again, if I were you.

Happy cruising. :)

I totally disagree. Norwegian has totally turned it around under Kevin Sheehan. Your first cruise was a long time ago. Your second one was on a much older ship that isn't even in the fleet any longer. I absolutely hated my first NCL cruise. Now, it has become my favorite line - hands down. No one beats them. Give them another chance. I don't think you will be disappointed. They have a great platinum program, great specialty dining, great buffet and great entertainment. Their staff, which were not always the best, now can't be beat. They have, for me, become the best cruise experience out there.

And why should sailing on an old ship make a difference?

"Should be," but often times that's just not the reality we deal with. There's a massive divide between NCL's latest ships and the older members of the fleet in terms of design, decor, features, and entertainment. Apples and oranges. There's little value in comparing the two. NCL was very different 15, 5, and even 3 years ago. Star was originally intended for service in Asia for Star Cruises, but she was transferred to their new subsidiary NCL fairly late in the build process. She ended up in a totally different market than she had been designed for, but did surprisingly well. The new Breakaway Class under Sheehan's leadership represents an attempt to aim at the more premium brands of Princess and Celebrity. So far, at least outside of the Haven, I'd say that attempt has had mixed results, but it's certainly a cut above where things used to be just a few years ago on older ships in the fleet.

A lot of other cruise lines are also struggling to bring their older ships into line with their newer offerings. There's Carnival's "Funship 2.0" revitalization program, RCI's establishment of Oasis features thought out their fleet through "every ship is our best ship," Celebrity's "Solsticization." I could go on, but the point is that a lot of cruise lines are bringing out fabulous ships today that don't really mesh well with yesterday's products.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

CCL is a discount mass market line vs RCCL and NCL being just mid market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree with this statement and consider all of the above as well as Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Costa, and MSC to be mass market lines. There are far more similarities than differences. I've sailed all these except MSC and basically go for what I perceive as the best deal on the itinerary I want. All things being equal (which is never the case), I prefer Princess (10x or so?) then NCL (5x or so?) with RCL (5x or so?) a close third. I find NCL's production shows to be the finest at sea and the vibe a bit whimsical with signage on the promenade deck like, "Don't throw things overboard, we get complaints from the fish."