Not trying to be morbid, or funny.....

Okay....so I am not making light of any situation where passengers die while on a cruise. Not at all.

But.....

Would you get a liiiiiittle bothered at all, if you found out that someone had died or was murdered in the room you booked?

I am a former nurse...death is not something that I take lightly, nor is it something that disturbs me...I have seen it often, and I know I have been LOTS of places where someone died...but, when a friend just asked me if I had made sure that I wasn't staying in the room that a woman was murdered in, by her husband, I can't lie... I got a knot in my stomach. :eek: So now, OF COURSE I had to go check all three of our booked rooms and see, and it is not. Same floor, different room.

So anyhow...how do YOU feel about it?

I've never thought of that before....but, how would you find out, anyway? I don't think they would disclose that kind of info. How about hotels? I think you'd have a greater chance of someone dying/being murdered in a hotel than on a cruise ship.

I knew before reading your signature lines that you were referring to the Elation!

While on our Elation cruise last year I made my husband take a photo of me outside the door of cabin R-24. He wouldn't wait while I knocked and asked to look around. ;)

While the manner of death in this case was horrific, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I am completely fascinated with true crime. Not in a morbid sense, but more as to the behavioral aspects of what makes someone do something like that. Everyone says I should have become an FBI profiler. Ha!

I've never thought of that before....but, how would you find out, anyway? I don't think they would disclose that kind of info. How about hotels? I think you'd have a greater chance of someone dying/being murdered in a hotel than on a cruise ship.

You can actually see lists here, and look them up from the names and info given. http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

Very interesting website. I was able to find the jumper from our cruise in 2006 on the Legend. I can tell you that it really sucked circling for 12 hours looking for him. This might surprise some, but when they're searching for jumpers in the dark, they use flashlights...no spotlights! :eek:

I would love to say - Nope, wouldn't bother me. But I suspect it actually might and for no real documentable reason - just a freak me out thing. So I will never, ever check to see.

What I don't know won't kill me (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I've been in so many hotels rooms in my life, that it's just not something I would ever think about, or care about. Actually, it would be the opposite. I've requested to stay in the "haunted room" at the Hotel del Coronado.

Just like purchasing an old home, you never know who might have died in it, or how.

I am an extensive traveler and honestly, really don't care...and have never, ever even thought of this....until my friend asked me. Now...I kind of care. Like, I probably would have asked to change rooms if I had one of those rooms booked. So crazy, I know.:o

Shoot, if you think about it, in the thousands of years that humans have been around, lots of them have died pretty much everywhere! I live inl a Civil War town....pretty sure my land has seen lots of dead soldiers....Indians...etc....doesn't bother me. Death is part of life!

I don't care what happened in my room before I got there as long as there are no indication of what it was. Why in the world should I care? I don't avoid streets or roads where someone has died in an auto accident, so why should I care about my room.

Besides, if someone is freaked out by being in a room where someone has died, how in the world do they cope with being in a hospital where people are dying all the time?

Very interesting website. I was able to find the jumper from our cruise in 2006 on the Legend. I can tell you that it really sucked circling for 12 hours looking for him. This might surprise some, but when they're searching for jumpers in the dark, they use flashlights...no spotlights! :eek:

This website seems to be another one that has an ax to grind against cruise companies. With a section called "Cruise Awareness", I would have expected hints and suggestions on how to maximize your cruise enjoyment. But instead, it focuses on the negative side of cruising with sections for Cruise Ship Deaths, Cruise Ship Fires, Cruise Ship Missing, Cruise Ship Sinking, and of course, what must be a favorite section for some recent CC posters, Cruise Ship Complaints.

Where is the positive "awareness" information??????

EDIT: I read the account on the website about the incident the OP appears to be referring to. I was not at all surprised with this comment near the end of the article:

"This case is a reminder that many have gone missing on cruise ships, and not all of them are jumpers or accidents. Had this body gone overboard, it would be another one of those "there is no proof foul play resulting in passenger death has ever taken place on a cruise ship" mantras we hear so much from the pro-cruise industry die-hards. "

Many have gone missing? Really? I wouldn't call a dozen or so per year as "many", especially when the number of passengers in that same year number in the millions. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Death is a natural part of life. It happens. It wouldn't really bother me. As someone else pointed out, in the past 500,000 years or so that our species has been around, someone has died pretty much everywhere. The ships have morgues and the necessary facilities for handling this.

I knew before reading your signature lines that you were referring to the Elation!

While on our Elation cruise last year I made my husband take a photo of me outside the door of cabin R-24. He wouldn't wait while I knocked and asked to look around. ;)

While the manner of death in this case was horrific, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I am completely fascinated with true crime. Not in a morbid sense, but more as to the behavioral aspects of what makes someone do something like that. Everyone says I should have become an FBI profiler. Ha!

Why would you have your picture taken outside the door? You actually knocked on the door and asked to look around?? What did you expect to see and did the people let you in??? Not getting why any of that has anything to do with the behavioral aspects of a crime.

Interesting web pages but so what. I am with those who could care less but not by much. The history of events in my cabin are history and as long as no sign is there for me to see, why should I worry. I echo the person who commented about deaths in auto collisions and you don't avoid that part of the road. Heck, if you did try to avoid any such intersection, you probably not move through most cities!

If I were in the cabin where some lady knocked to the where somebody else was murdered, I would have freaked. You deserve a medal for both stupidity and callousness. Your curiosity does not justify disturbing those in another cabin.

Later,

M

Well I have to admit I wouldn't want to be in the room of a murder or death. But if I didn't know about it, I wouldn't think about it. Now that I know about that web page that shows the info, I will check before I book my rooms :)

However, most of them don't tell you the room number.

Yes, I'm one of those people who always wonder if my hospital bed was one that someone died in. I just tell myself that no it isn't. Then I'm ok. Yet, if the nurse came in and told me, someone just died on the bed you are in then I would not want it as mine.

I do think the lack of knowledge can be good at times :)

I also understand the people who seek out those rooms or want to go see them. I've gone on several paranormal investigations and fully understand people being interested in the hereafter.

They even have tours you can go on to see where famous people died, where they are buried and things like that so there must be enough people interested in that area.

Death is a part of life and can be very interesting to study about it. But when I'm on cruise, not my idea of fun so I would rather not be in a room where any died or worse, was murdered.

Never thought about it, but now that it's been mentioned...

However, I remember when we were looking at houses we thought we'd found the perfect one until the houseowner whilst showing us her bedroom stated that her husband had died in the bed! Now I knew she would be taking the bed with her, but the information definitely put us off buying the property!!