Trip report -- sailing back to Vancouver on the Zuiderdam, June 6, 2014

bumperoo

Sailing to Vancouver -- as they say, "All good things come to an end". Today, will be our last full day on the beautiful MS Zuiderdam. We woke up at 8:00 wondering if the overnight alarm was a dream. We decided not to dilly dally since we wanted to enjoy our last day at sea to the maximum.

Our delicious breakfast would be enjoyed in the MDR. Lou enjoyed his Belgium waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and declared this was the best breakfast of the cruise. I also really enjoyed my "As you wish" omelet with all my favorite ingredients. We shared some bangers, a treat we don't get at home. It was nice to savor a cup of coffee and gaze out the window at the endless horizon.

After breakfast we headed for the great outdoors and wandered the nearly empty decks. Most people were sleeping in after the alarm scare. We wandered the ship taking photos of all the venues that had provided the memories that will last the rest of our lives. Merideth, the culinary arts hostess was having a recipe exchange. I was delighted to take home the secrets to many of the dishes we sampled on board. It will be fun to try and recreate these delicacies once we are home.

The Lido Pool deck smelled amazingly different than any other day. There was a salmon bake at sea! People carried plates heaped with grilled salmon and steamed mussels and clams. The bar staff featured all the Alaskan beers both in bottles and on draft. We proceeded to stuff ourselves fearing the damage all this feasting had done to our waistline. Fear not, Planet Fitness, you will be seeing way more of us!!!

On Location hostess, Alana, presented "Gold Rush Dreams". The lecture provided a great historical summation of the places we had visited. We followed our own dream to a place many had visited before us in hopes of fulfilling their dreams.

There was an unwelcome task waiting in our stateroom, packing to go home. I collected most of my clothes and neatly folded them and put them in the suitcase. As I placed each item in my bag, I couldn't help thinking about where I was and what I was doing when I wore that outfit. Simple clothes had new memories attached to them. Lou used the time to sneak in a catnap. I warned him that he better make time to pack. He lives by the motto, "why do today, what you can put off til tomorrow." The long honey-do list he has back home is a testament to this philosophy!

My work was done and I started to drag Lou's suitcase to the bed. He opened an eye and declared happy hour wasn't packing time. He would do it later. This was our last chance to enjoy -- no argument from me. So off we went.

We barely had time to get situated in the Crow's Nest when a private party chased us to the Ocean Bar to finish our cocktails. We got there in time to sit in on a Mixology Class. We listened in while amateur bartenders learned how to prepare a few of the exotic cocktails of the week. Meredith, our culinary Arts hostess came over to talk with us. We asked lots of questions about the Signature Beverage Package and other things we wondered about and she chatted with us. She was heading to the Pinnacle Bar for Sip and Savor so we followed along with her. Glasses of select wines were available for $4.00 and were paired with a shrimp bruschetta.

We went back to the Crow's Nest since Mary was scheduled to play her guitar for pre-dinner listening pleasure. It was a great place to be as a special surprise awaited us. Sailor Jerry Higginson, a self-appointed Ambassador raced his power boat to keep pace with the ship. Jerry keeps the cruise schedules and when they arrive near his home at Alert Bay, he greets them. We scrambled to an open deck in time to hear this talented trumpeter play "O, Canada" and "The Star-Spangled Banner".

The haunting sounds of the trumpet wafting across the water brought a tear to my eye. I looked around and realized this simple act of kindness by a lone trumpeter summed up the camaraderie I had felt while sailing on this magnificent voyage.

After Jerry's entertainment, it seemed fitting that the theme in the MDR for the evening was "International Night". Lou had Guiso Soup (Argentinian soup) and I had Scandinavian Seafood Chowder. We shared Vietnamese Spring Rolls and Brie in Phyllo with apple chutney. Our salad course was a ****ake Salad with Sesame Ginger dressing. We created surf and turf to share with Shrimp Provençal and Bourbon Glazed Beef with portobello mushrooms. We shared a slice of Big Apple Cheesecake.

We realized this would be our last dinner with Heru and Sumerta and in an effort to prolong our time with them we had a cheese plate and some Proseco. We took pictures of our new friends and shared a few last laughs and stories. They seemed genuinely grateful for our extra gratuity.

Lou had not packed yet, so it was back to the cabin we went. I offered to help but Lou said he had it under control. I laid on the bed and low and behold I fell asleep. I woke up to some pretty loud snoring. I fumbled for my glasses so I could check on the time, and tripped over a pile of clothes and shoes. I made my way through the rubble and saw it was 2:00 a.m. YIKES -- our bags were supposed to be in the hallway by 1:00. I wheeled my suitcase into the completely empty corridor to make some room, gently nudged Lou awake HaHa and watched Merlin the Magician magically make piles disappear into the suitcase. It was the quickest pack, I had ever witnessed.

I laid in bed praying the night elf would come get our bags and in the frenzy, we would not be departing the ship wearing HAL bathrobes! Good night moon wherever you are!

Last installment

Woke up at 7:00 and ran to the door. Our luggage was gone! Now, I had to hope that it would be on the dock waiting for us and not in a naughty room somewhere. Luckily, in the frenzy of the night before, what needed to be packed was, and the clothes we needed to wear home were still in our cabin! We did have our carry-on luggage a little overstuffed with lots of last minute items.

We were in the Pink 2 group to disembark at 9:00 so had plenty of time to go to breakfast in the MDR. It was quieter than usual as lots of groups had begun to disembark as early as 7:00. I had a Denver omelet made with three cheeses, peppers, onions, and ham. Lou had two eggs easy over with rye toast, bacon and hash browns. We both had V8 and coffee. We looked out the window, listened to those piped in song birds and realized this was that bitter sweet moment when you realize the most wonderful vacation ever was coming to an end.

We bid adieu to the wonderful wait staff who took good care of us throughout the week. I stopped in the doorway and took one more look at the MDR. We walked along the corridors that we had traversed time and again during our cruise. It always seems like just when you start to really know where everything is, it is time to go home!

We wanted to spend our last moments on board in our cabin. Our steward came by to wish us a safe journey. I was glad we could give the ninja his envelope in person and express our thanks for keeping us comfortable all week.

Too soon, our number was called. I took one more walk onto our balcony. Diding had stripped the bed and made it up for the next guests, so when we moved into the hallway and glanced back, it was like a flashback to a week ago. We walked down the long hallway, boarded the elevator, made our way to the scanning station, and left the Zuiderdam for our last time.

There was a bevy of activity as items were being loaded onto the ship in preparation of the next voyage. We walked into the terminal and saw our suitcases waiting for us. Our Holland America cruise was officially over. Goodbye, Zuiderdam, thanks for the memories.

Wow, great reporting. I can empathize with you walking out of your cabin for the last time. I hate the last day but look forward to the next time we will again walk across the gangway for another cruise.

Nice to hear you had such a wonderful cruise.:)

Thanks for a wonderful report.

Those last few hours on board can be sad as you realize how well you had been cared for during the last seven days.

It is a time to glance at your partner and realize that to get the same pampering you will have to return for another cruise. If you have not discussed a next cruise, standing in the Customs line is the time to start the discussion of coming back to Alaska next year (first two weeks in May 2015 on the Noordam since there are roll calls already started).

Just like a rookie baseball player, the first season/cruise is for learning and the next year is for applying your knowledge to a more incredible cruise/year.

Loved your very detailed review.

Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise.

Wonder why there were so many private parties in the Crow's Nest?

KK-- there were many large travel groups on our sailing. They were usually seen doing things en masse and had a group leader with them who kept the crowd moving. We always found alternative places to go, so it was all good.

After reading all your wonderful reports and finally reading this one....I truely felt my trip was coming to an end. You know that feeling you get when it's the last day? That's exactly how I felt.

You are a wonderful writer. You should consider writing a book. :D

After reading all your wonderful reports and finally reading this one....I truely felt my trip was coming to an end. You know that feeling you get when it's the last day? That's exactly how I felt.

Thanks so much for reading along. I started keeping journals a few years ago and we love to open a bottle of wine, read through the journal and look at our pictures. For us, it is a great way to keep on reliving our trips.

459.jpg.5a1494d7950187fd92b1265d0a0b8f51.jpg

481.jpg.56ebab846b85173f94007a7fca122123.jpg

288.jpg.9d620a05aa17a9701975d7c812e2749e.jpg

335.jpg.64e9ae10de60370c26039899a80aa84f.jpg

P, I am so sorry to read what might be the last thread of your review. It has been awesome to read as well as actually feeling as if I was you on this cruise. You are such a great writer and make me see it through your eyes at the same time. I have no idea of how better I can say what I feel after reading all of the review other than GREAT JOB!!! And, Please let us know when your book comes out? It will be at the #1 spot in no time at all because of your style:)

Oh yeah, I am also sorry that the CC board does not like the word "S h i t a k e" :D Had to space the letters out to make sure the auto censor did not get me too:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie