Carry in wine..answers please!

We last sailed HAL in November before the carry on wine policy changed, and would like to know the new policy in effect:

How much wine can be carried on at embarkation before you have to pay a corkage fee?

Is the amount allowable per person or per cabin?

Can wine be carried in from the ports for consumption in the cabin?

Thank you! Meant to title this "carry on wine" but I don't think I can edit the thread title!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

In April we boarded the Veendam in San Diego. We were allowed one bottle of wine per passenger without paying corkage. Any more than that you paid $18.00 corkage a bottle. We had to show our bottles in the terminal.

I made a mistake and we only had one bottle for both of us. I intended to purchase another one in the first port. Well, I was told even though we hadn't reached our limit, in ports we would still have to pay the corkage.Next time will bring our two bottles when we board. $18 too high a corkage. May as well just buy your wine once on board.

In April we boarded the Veendam in San Diego. We were allowed one bottle of wine per passenger without paying corkage. Any more than that you paid $18.00 corkage a bottle. We had to show our bottles in the terminal.

I made a mistake and we only had one bottle for both of us. I intended to purchase another one in the first port. Well, I was told even though we hadn't reached our limit, in ports we would still have to pay the corkage.Next time will bring our two bottles when we board. $18 too high a corkage. May as well just buy your wine once on board.

While it does not seem "fair" that you did not get credit for only bringing one bottle onboard in SD, you have to understand that HAL has no way of verifying that, so they have to have a policy of charging for all bottles brought in at ports. I agree with you - with the new policy, you might as well just buy your wine onboard (unless you are drinking a high dollar cost wine or one that you really prefer).

And the size of the wine bottles has to be 750 ml and must be in your carry-on luggage.

On our March/April Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, there was a table set up behind the x-ray machines where a couple of people were in line with their extra wine bottles. They take your cabin number and name and put a sticker on the extra bottles to indicate that the corkage fee has been paid.

All wine bought in ports is automatically charged the $18 corkage fee.

I agree with you - with the new policy, you might as well just buy your wine onboard (unless you are drinking a high dollar cost wine or one that you really prefer).

Not so .... a bottle of "grocery store wine" purchased onboard is $42.50 according to the Indulgences list.:eek:

Not so .... a bottle of "grocery store wine" purchased onboard is $42.50 according to the Indulgences list.:eek:

Yes, some of the wine is marked up quite a bit more than the $18 corkage fee, but what I was referring to is that by the time you by the wine locally (for those of us who fly to the port), find and get to the wine store, and then lug the wine onboard, is it really worth it? Of course the answer will vary for each of us.

Also, I have found some decently priced HAL label wines. Plus, if you are 3* or higher, the wine packages offer a decent value (due to the discount).

As I said, to each his own, I am not telling anyone what to do, but rather offering some options to consider.

DaveOKC

In Seattle last month we had two bottles of wine in our carry-on. After going through the metal detector we were directed to a side table where a crew member looked at each bottle and wrote down our cabin number and the number of bottles.

In Copenhagen, we had 2 bottles of wine in our carry-on that were scanned but nobody said anything and the wine was not tagged.

That is because you are allowed 2 bottles of wine -- 1 per adult person in each cabin.

Do they not tag even the "free" 1 bottle per person? If consumed outside of the stateroom, I would have thought the wine stewards would want to see the sticker?

We brought multiple bottles onboard in April, and they tagged all of them.

Do they not tag even the "free" 1 bottle per person? If consumed outside of the stateroom, I would have thought the wine stewards would want to see the sticker?

We brought multiple bottles onboard in April, and they tagged all of them.

On our cruise (Noordam in February /March) they only tagged the paid ones. Some other people on other cruises had all bottles tagged, with the free bottles getting one color and the corkage paid ones getting another.