Bringing ipad onboard

HMSDingy

I plan to bring both my ipad and iphone on our cruise next week and I'm slightly confused about the internet while onboard. Being a platinum member I get 150 free minutes. Can I use these minutes with my ipad? Do I have to keep both my ipad and iphone on airplane mode while onboard? Sorry for the questions but I don't want to come back from my cruise with one heck of a cell phone bill!!:eek:

Sorry. I bring both my ipad and iphone with me. I keep it on airplane mode otherwise you are charged for international roaming and other related charges. It can rack up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to bring both my ipad and iphone on our cruise next week and I'm slightly confused about the internet while onboard. Being a platinum member I get 150 free minutes. Can I use these minutes with my ipad? Do I have to keep both my ipad and iphone on airplane mode while onboard? Sorry for the questions but I don't want to come back from my cruise with one heck of a cell phone bill!!:eek:

Yes, you can use the Internet with your iPad and iPhone. You can go into Airplane Mode and then turn on your wifi separately. That way you'll avoid roaming charges on the phone. Personally, we do not put our phones into Airplane Mode but we do turn off the cellular data (which BTW does not disable texting). On our carrier (AT&T) we can receive texts for free. Sending a text is about 50 cents US each. We are selective on answering phone calls (about $2.50 USD per minute) and change our voice mail greeting to tell people to either e-mail or text us.

I do not recommend using the iPhone with the ship's Internet as the login procedure on the small screen is pretty cumbersome. Your iPad will be a better choice. On our last cruise, the ship's servers did recognize the smaller devices and presented a minimalist login screen but I still recommend the iPad's larger screen over iPhone for Internet.

Regardless, check with your own cell carrier and they should be able to help you with details specific to your destinations and your phone plans.

I use my iPhone all the time on board even though I also bring my iPad Mini. For me, it's quick and easy... Not cumbersome at all.

A thread was created for our Royal Princess trans-Atlantic last October that has a lot of interesting and helpful information and tips: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1628929

I use the iPad on the ship because I just don't want to lug a laptop with me. I've had no problems using the ship's wifi. My iPhone is internationalized through my company and when in ports, I'll use international phone companies to get 3G or 4G signals and use that for e-mail.

My husband and I had no issues using both our iPhones and iPads while on board the Regal recently (except in the Sanctuary, where there was no service). We also used FaceTime each day on our iPads to call home to talk to (and see!) our son and my mother-in-law. It was fun to sit in the piazza and show them around, virtually!

We didn't have our devices in Airplane mode (except on the flights to Europe of course), but we did have Data Roaming turned off at all times.

Yes, you can use the Internet with your iPad and iPhone. You can go into Airplane Mode and then turn on your wifi separately. That way you'll avoid roaming charges on the phone. Personally, we do not put our phones into Airplane Mode but we do turn off the cellular data (which BTW does not disable texting). On our carrier (AT&T) we can receive texts for free. Sending a text is about 50 cents US each. We are selective on answering phone calls (about $2.50 USD per minute) and change our voice mail greeting to tell people to either e-mail or text us.

I do not recommend using the iPhone with the ship's Internet as the login procedure on the small screen is pretty cumbersome. Your iPad will be a better choice. On our last cruise, the ship's servers did recognize the smaller devices and presented a minimalist login screen but I still recommend the iPad's larger screen over iPhone for Internet.

Regardless, check with your own cell carrier and they should be able to help you with details specific to your destinations and your phone plans.

While we bring both the iPhone and iPad on cruises, we have absolutley NO PROBLEM whatsoever using the iPhone to access the internet. Quick...easy....and can do so from anywhere on the ship.

I use my iPhone all the time on board even though I also bring my iPad Mini. For me, it's quick and easy... Not cumbersome at all.

A thread was created for our Royal Princess trans-Atlantic last October that has a lot of interesting and helpful information and tips: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1628929

Hi Pam....first of all, I want to personally thank you for all your knowledge and contributions!

You mentioned that you use your iphone onboard....is that using minutes you've earned or purchased? Do you use it just for texting? I'm just trying to find the least expensive way to communicate with my teenage son onboard our 8/2 Alaska Cruise on the Golden.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You did not mention your destination. Will you have service in ports (Alaska)? Verizon can be used in Alaska. It will show up as Extended LTE. Not to worry...no additional charges.

I used to take my computer with me. It was more trouble than it was worth. On my last cruise, I met one of the best Internet cafe managers. He showed me how to place the log on AND off screen on my screen. After logging out, you still need to type in 1.1.1.1 in your browser window t guarantee logout.

There were a few glitches while on this cruise. Long signing in process. There were even times I could not sign out and worried about this chewing up my plan. Took me 20 minutes to check in and print ($0.50) my boarding pass. Sometimes, I just couldn't get on.

Pam is correct. So much easier to use iPad instead of your phone.

that lew is amazing putting all that info out there for everyone who

is not that fluent yet with ipads and iphones but trying to learn !!!

thanks again pam !!!

You mentioned that you use your iphone onboard....is that using minutes you've earned or purchased? Do you use it just for texting? I'm just trying to find the least expensive way to communicate with my teenage son onboard our 8/2 Alaska Cruise on the Golden.
I get an Internet package as an Elite so I use those minutes. I compose emails and replies offline so that I spend only 2-3 minutes at a time online.

Before leaving home, I purchase an International data plan as well as Global Messaging from AT&T. This way, there are no surprises. I sometimes text with my daughter back home which is why I get the Global messaging. Although I tend to use FB Messenger which uses just a minute or so rather than count as an international text.

The biggest thing when using your iPhone or iPad outside the US is to watch your data. Everything you do, email, text, check the weather, etc. downloads data. I just learned of an app called "My Data Manager" that tracks your data usage. It was recommended by the guy who does "Cruise Radio." You set it to start manually when you board the ship and it tracks how much data you're using. It's free (always a good thing.)

I tend to take longer, international cruises so my system might not be right for someone else.

If you plan to text your son who is with you on the ship, the cost will add up very, very quickly. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're both using iPhones and iMessenger. Cheapest way to communicate on the ship is to use the ship's phone and leave messages. If I'm cruising with my daughter, I use Post-It notes to leave on her door.

Thanks for the tips! I always learn something new every time I get on CC. ;)

See you can teach an old dog new tricks! :D