New to Oceania: class of ship nomenclature?

CraftyEC

We have just booked, and are greatly anticipating, our first Oceania cruise, on Marina from Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro in November 2015. We booked this on itinerary and general reputation of Oceania (and a good deal!) but now I want to find out a little more about the cruise line.

In many threads posters refer to 'O' class and 'R' class ships. On the Oceania website I can see that there are two classes of ships, the larger Marina and Riviera and the smaller, slightly older Regatta, Nautica and Insignia. As neither group contains a ship with the initial 'O' and both contain ships with the initial 'R' I am somewhat confounded!

Can someone clarify this for me?

Riviera and Marina are the O class ships. Others know better, but these ships were commissioned by and built for Oceania (O) specifically.

Insignia, Nautica and Regatta are R class ships which were obtained from Renaissance ® I believe.

Wiser folks will correct my errors. (JimandStan, Hondorner, etc)

Riviera and Marina are the O class ships. Others know better, but these ships were commissioned by and built for Oceania (O) specifically.

Insignia, Nautica and Regatta are R class ships which were obtained from Renaissance ® I believe.

To add - Renaissance called these ships R1, R2, R3 up to R8. Hence they are referred to as R ships on these boards.

Currently Oceania owns 3 of them, Azamara and Princess have 2 each and P&O has one.

Edited by Paulchili

The others are correct. To add a little, Marina and Riviera were specifically designed by and for Oceania, so any ships to this design will be "O" ships. If (and that's BIG if) there are additional ships designed by Oceania, thet may weill be also called "O" ships, even if they are to a slightly different design. The point is to differentiate them from the smaller ships, which were all built by Renaissance cruise lines, and as stated before, were built so close together they probably couldn't think up names, and simply called them R1 through R8.

Oceania has 3 of them, Azamara has 2, Princess has 2, and 1 is sailing for P&O. They are all referred to as "R" ships. They were essentially identical (although at least 2 of them had no suites on Deck 8 when first constructed. Today, only the 3 owned by Oceania are actually in better condition than they were when first launched.

Of course you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We know who you are ...

Mura

P.S. I believe it was the last THREE Renaissance ships that didn't have the deck 8 suites that O calls Penthouses and Ren called "B" category. Those were R6-R8.

We sailed on R2 (Regatta), R5 (Nautica) and R7 (?) and I agree with Don that Oceania has improved on the ships they acquired. (We never sailed on R1, now Insignia.)

Mura

Is one allowed to comment on the O board whilst abroad Viking?

Only from the longships......responding from the deep sea Cruise ships (particularly as they are not sailing yet) would be totally inappropriate. ;)

5171db7d859b2.image.jpg

Wiser folks will correct my errors. (JimandStan, Hondorner, etc)

You are definitely not the only one that is confused. Unfortunately, the Oceania board is not easy to understand for a newbie. Now that I have one cruise under my belt, I understand the differences but wish the "slang" wasn't there. After all, being a Regent loyalist and since Regent is a sister ship to Oceania, to me "R" mean Regent. "O" means Oceania and the rest is gobbledygook! :)

But you know now, correct?

Are those of us who are very familiar with Oceania (and perhaps Renaissance) supposed to use "Regent" terminology when we haven't sailed on Regent?

Most of us who use these terms know exactly what they mean, and we are happy to explain to those who are confused.

Mura

But you know now, correct?

Are those of us who are very familiar with Oceania (and perhaps Renaissance) supposed to use "Regent" terminology when we haven't sailed on Regent?

Most of us who use these terms know exactly what they mean, and we are happy to explain to those who are confused.

Mura

Actually, Regent doesn't have any terminology. Regent is Regent -- not "R or anything else. Their ships go by names. Silversea and Crystal are the same. I think that Oceania's shorthand might have been easier if "O" didn't mean two things. Thank goodness the English language is not as complex as five Oceania ships:-)

Actually, Regent doesn't have any terminology. Regent is Regent -- not "R or anything else. Their ships go by names. Silversea and Crystal are the same. I think that Oceania's shorthand might have been easier if "O" didn't mean two things. Thank goodness the English language is not as complex as five Oceania ships:-)

You may want to be a little less breathless about how confusing you find this, because after the Seven Seas Exporer makes her debut, and the Summer of 2016 is fast approaching!, you're going to be in the same boat as we are now (i.e. continuously explaining the differences between the old and the new to the uninitiated).

Screen%20shot%202013-07-10%20at%204.29.02%20PM.png

Come to think of it, though, the Regent crowd may have it slightly easier because the powers that be will need to style the new ship as being "Regent Class", as "R class" is already taken :p

All very interesting! And it is true that each cruise line (and its followers) seems to have its own 'lingo' - I have sailed on Seabourn where the three smaller ships (now only two as they are being sold off) are referred to as the 'little sisters' and the three larger newer ships are sometimes (but less often) referred to as the 'big sisters' - which begs the question of what the new, bigger ship which is being built will be called! Just making the point about nomenclature differences between lines.

Thanks, everyone. I've only heard good things about Oceania (especially the food!) so we're looking forward to this cruise, even if it is 17 months ago, and we have two other cruises before that. Nothing like planning ahead, is there?

Is one allowed to comment on the O board whilst abroad Viking?

Hi, Lou,

It may have been from a Viking longship, but we didn't sail until after 11 PM, so technically I could claim it was from Amsterdam. :p But, this one is truly from the river boat!

Visited windmills this morning, took a much needed nap this afternoon after continuous walking in London and Amsterdam. The train-ferry-train ride to Amsterdam was fun, except there was an accident somewhere on the tracks ahead and we were told to jump on another train. However, we don't speak Dutch and relied on translation from fellow passengers -- and got on the wrong train. We discovered it just as we arrived in the only station with a short Metro ride to Amsterdam Centraal, so no harm except arriving a few moments later than expected.

Viking Ingvi is one of the newest longships and is delightful so far. Cologne tomorrow, Basel on the 20th, JFK late on the 21st, then pick up the RV and head for Washington, DC and Williamsburg for a few days before heading home. Then, home for a full 6 months!

You may want to be a little less breathless about how confusing you find this, because after the Seven Seas Exporer makes her debut, and the Summer of 2016 is fast approaching!, you're going to be in the same boat as we are now (i.e. continuously explaining the differences between the old and the new to the uninitiated).

Come to think of it, though, the Regent crowd may have it slightly easier because the powers that be will need to style the new ship as being "Regent Class", as "R class" is already taken :p

I suspect that we'll just call the Explorer "the Explorer";) Oceania has it a bit easier than Regent in terms of the explanation of the ships since there are basically two types. Regent's three ships are all different (cabin size, etc.) and the Explorer will also be different.

Have you considered sailing on the Explorer? The reason that I ask is because the Riviera (and Marina) are currently the most beautiful ships in the world. Once the Explorer debuts, she will become the most beautiful (according to FDR). She will be a sight to behold!

As for referring to O class and R class there are some conventions but not rules, at least with cruise ships.

A ship class is a group of ships of a similar design. In the (US) Navy a class is named after the first ship of the class.

On CC I first read of Marina referred to by posters as an M(arina) class ship. There was the R and the new M class. Made sense to me at least.

Oceania though chose to call Marina an O(ceania) class ship. It is their money so they can call it whatever they want. Helped to attach their name to the new ship for ad hoc marketing purposes I suspect. And so Riviera is also an O class ship.

But now what with a new third design?

How about D for Del Rio, or P for PCH, or A for Apollo, or Y class for YoHoHo!

Edited by YoHoHo

You are definitely not the only one that is confused. Unfortunately, the Oceania board is not easy to understand for a newbie. Now that I have one cruise under my belt, I understand the differences but wish the "slang" wasn't there. After all, being a Regent loyalist and since Regent is a sister ship to Oceania, to me "R" mean Regent. "O" means Oceania and the rest is gobbledygook! :)

I'm really perplexed as to why you remain confused, especially since you say that Regent doesn't use the R terminology.

When I first cruised with Oceania (on Regatta) I was fascinated to read about the history of the R ships and the demise of Renaissance and how they were "rescued" by other lines. I think the term R class is most appropriate. I can see why a newbie might need to ask which are the R ships and which are the O ships.

The "little sisters" of Seabourn are now part of the Windstar fleet, but I loved hearing them referred to as "the little sisters". I hope to sail on one in the future.

I'm really perplexed as to why you remain confused, especially since you say that Regent doesn't use the R terminology.

Jackie like to remind us she is a Regent loyalist with certain prejudices. She means no harm, and is quite different in person, quite likeable!

The "little sisters" of Seabourn are now part of the Windstar fleet, but I loved hearing them referred to as "the little sisters". I hope to sail on one in the future.

Only one of them (the Pride) has 'gone over' so far, the Legend and the Spirit are still sailing under the Seabourn name, but not for very much longer. I never did get to sail on them, but having moved from 'resort' ships to the Quest I was very happy with the size. Marina is going to be quite a bit bigger for us.

Only one of them (the Pride) has 'gone over' so far, the Legend and the Spirit are still sailing under the Seabourn name, but not for very much longer. I never did get to sail on them, but having moved from 'resort' ships to the Quest I was very happy with the size. Marina is going to be quite a bit bigger for us.

You're quite right. My apologies. Windstar are already advertising voyages on the other two but not until 2015.

We're going to find Riviera huge after Wind Surf, Regatta and Viking Legend, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I do miss the sails unfurling when I'm on another line and of course that's something that will be missing from Star Pride as it's now called. I still want to try it though!

Jackie like to remind us she is a Regent loyalist with certain prejudices. She means no harm, and is quite different in person, quite likeable!

You are correct of course but I truly like the Riviera (the ship and the specialty restaurants) and look forward to sailing on her again later this year. During that sailing we will be at the same port as the Insignia and will take the opportunity to tour one of the smaller ships. You are sweet to say what you did -- but, I don't mind my reputation as being an ogre;)

Hope you will be posting on your 180 day sailing next year!