BARCELONA PORT - Information

after I drop my bags off and check in to get on the boat and then go through the security screening, then in that area is where they have the shops to buy wine? So depending on the wine I drink I might not have to bring it with me when I fly in? Does anyone know if they sell Beringer in those shops?

At Barcelona you will enter your assigned terminal, leave the bags with the porters at the entrance, enter the terminal through the first security check point, fill in the medical information form prior to proceeding to the appropriate check-in counter, proceed through an area with promotions from the ship for beverage packages and the like and then pass a few small shops prior to taking an escalator up to the boarding finger that is attached to the ship.

These shops have very limited stock, which in Spain is probably around 30 wines. They will have a couple of wines within each category for the most part. You will find the airport might have almost double and more likely to have international wines. Most of the wines in the port shops will be Spanish wines, as this is one of the most developed wine markets in the world.

Some lines and ships will then have another security point onboard the ship where carry on luggage is inspected a second time by the ship's security staff. The one at the entrance is operated by the port security staff.

At Barcelona you will enter your assigned terminal, leave the bags with the porters at the entrance, enter the terminal through the first security check point, fill in the medical information form prior to proceeding to the appropriate check-in counter, proceed through an area with promotions from the ship for beverage packages and the like and then pass a few small shops prior to taking an escalator up to the boarding finger that is attached to the ship.

These shops have very limited stock, which in Spain is probably around 30 wines. They will have a couple of wines within each category for the most part. You will find the airport might have almost double and more likely to have international wines. Most of the wines in the port shops will be Spanish wines, as this is one of the most developed wine markets in the world.

Some lines and ships will then have another security point onboard the ship where carry on luggage is inspected a second time by the ship's security staff. The one at the entrance is operated by the port security staff.

Thank you, this is very helpful for us.

Having just disembarked the Allure in Barcelona last Friday, here's the set up.

The ship used terminals B&C for disembarking.

Depending on the muster location printed on your sea pass card, that determined if you were disembarking aft or stern. For us, muster stations A, B, C, D, E, F were stern, and G and H were aft.

Luggage tags odd/evens went to different terminals at different times.

We docked on Friday, and were asked to return our disembarkation choices by the previous Sunday (on a TA). My muster station was Bsomething. I had selected 7:30-8:00 as my slot (for a 10:50am flight). My luggage tags were #29.

At 7:30 promptly, my number was called, and I disembarked the ship from deck 5, between Bolero's and Sorrento's. At regular stages along the exit, crew were checking your baggage number to ensure you were going the right way.

We turned left off the ship (heading forward) and were met with 2 escalators going down. The one on the left was for EU passengers (who just had to show their passports at the bottom of the escalator) and that led straight through to baggage collection. The escalator on the right was for non-EU passengers who did a small loop through a presumably more thorough immigration before ending up in the same baggage collection area. That seemed to take roughly 2 minutes extra at that hour.

The bags come out on carousels - the screens over the carousels showed which number bags were assigned to that carousel. I initially thought there was just one big long snaking carousel and stood in the wrong place for a few minutes, but realised my mistake quickly.

Once you had your bags you walked straight out into the open air, where a number of different private transport operators were waiting, with name signs for their passengers.

There was a group of around 9 of us, some EU, others not, and from the call at 7:30, we were all together, with our luggage by 8am.

Because it was a national holiday, our trip to the airport was very fast - maybe 20 minutes. The driver mentioned that if it was a normal Friday morning it could have taken about an hour at that time of day due to rush hour. Even with that, a 10:50am flight would have been comfortable.

I had time after arriving at the airport (Terminal 2B) to check in, sit outside, drink 2 coffees, read my book, then start the 73 mile limp to my gate, discuss makeup in the duty free shop, and still had 10 minutes to sit down at my gate before boarding. If it had been rush hour, I'd probably have cut out the coffees and makeup conversation.

Having just disembarked the Allure in Barcelona last Friday, here's the set up.

The ship used terminals B&C for disembarking.

Depending on the muster location printed on your sea pass card, that determined if you were disembarking aft or stern. For us, muster stations A, B, C, D, E, F were stern, and G and H were aft.

Luggage tags odd/evens went to different terminals at different times.

We docked on Friday, and were asked to return our disembarkation choices by the previous Sunday (on a TA). My muster station was Bsomething. I had selected 7:30-8:00 as my slot (for a 10:50am flight). My luggage tags were #29.

At 7:30 promptly, my number was called, and I disembarked the ship from deck 5, between Bolero's and Sorrento's. At regular stages along the exit, crew were checking your baggage number to ensure you were going the right way.

We turned left off the ship (heading forward) and were met with 2 escalators going down. The one on the left was for EU passengers (who just had to show their passports at the bottom of the escalator) and that led straight through to baggage collection. The escalator on the right was for non-EU passengers who did a small loop through a presumably more thorough immigration before ending up in the same baggage collection area. That seemed to take roughly 2 minutes extra at that hour.

The bags come out on carousels - the screens over the carousels showed which number bags were assigned to that carousel. I initially thought there was just one big long snaking carousel and stood in the wrong place for a few minutes, but realised my mistake quickly.

Once you had your bags you walked straight out into the open air, where a number of different private transport operators were waiting, with name signs for their passengers.

There was a group of around 9 of us, some EU, others not, and from the call at 7:30, we were all together, with our luggage by 8am.

Because it was a national holiday, our trip to the airport was very fast - maybe 20 minutes. The driver mentioned that if it was a normal Friday morning it could have taken about an hour at that time of day due to rush hour. Even with that, a 10:50am flight would have been comfortable.

I had time after arriving at the airport (Terminal 2B) to check in, sit outside, drink 2 coffees, read my book, then start the 73 mile limp to my gate, discuss makeup in the duty free shop, and still had 10 minutes to sit down at my gate before boarding. If it had been rush hour, I'd probably have cut out the coffees and makeup conversation.

Very informative, thanks.

Note that the separate Non-EU/EU citizen lines won't likely be there for cruises departing from Barcelona or another European port. It was there for this cruise as debarkation in Barcelona was classed as the Point of Entry to the European Schengen area. (Ports of Call do not classify as Points of Entry because you leave the same day)

I was wondering if the shops carry cases of water? Can anyone confirm. Or is it just wine? What else do they sell?

While they will have small bottles of water with 50cl, 1 liter or 1,5 liter bottles for individual sale at the port, water by the case would not be typical for sale in Spain. You would sometimes find packaging with six 50cl bottles or six 1,5 liter bottles at supermarkets, they would not sell them at the shops at the port. Large 5 liter bottles are also common.

The consumption and availability of bottled water is very high in Spain and the pricing in retail outlets is very low. You will find high markups at convenience stores, while very low pricing at supermarkets.

I purchased a six pack of 1.5 liter bottles of water from one of the stores upstairs in the cruise terminal in October. Cannot remember the cost or brand. Several stores did carry water.

Forgot to mention this was a Princess cruise, so might be a different terminal.

While that may have been Terminal C or D, the shops in A and B should also be stocking that now. They have most likely had a lot of requests and put a fairly high enough mark-up on it to make it worth their while. You an get a 6 pack of 1,5 liter bottles at El Corte Ingles supermarket for just under 2 euros.

Thanks for the update on availability.

Could someone please explain the process of going off an on the ship when it is a split cruise? We embark in Civitavecchia and have a port day in Barcelona. The cruise also has guests disembarking / embarking in Barcelona. I was wondering how the process works for those guests who are not disembarking but just visiting the port. Do we need to wait for the disembarking guests to leave before we can get off the ship? Is there a process similar to US customs?

Is it easy to find a taxi once off the ship in Barcelona? We would like to make Sagrada Familia reservations for the morning and I am trying to determine how much time we will need to get off the ship and find a taxi. Thanks!

Could someone please explain the process of going off an on the ship when it is a split cruise? We embark in Civitavecchia and have a port day in Barcelona. The cruise also has guests disembarking / embarking in Barcelona. I was wondering how the process works for those guests who are not disembarking but just visiting the port. Do we need to wait for the disembarking guests to leave before we can get off the ship? Is there a process similar to US customs?

Is it easy to find a taxi once off the ship in Barcelona? We would like to make Sagrada Familia reservations for the morning and I am trying to determine how much time we will need to get off the ship and find a taxi. Thanks!

Inter-porting is common in Europe. This can be cruise line specific. Early disembarking passengers are usually given preference due to their need to make flights and such.

When a ship is cleared and passengers can go ashore for passengers 'in-transit' you do not have to go through customs. It is usually not much of a delay in Barcelona.

If returning to the ship while embarkation is still active you often have a separate security line for those with sea pass cards in transit to enter the terminal and proceed to the escalator directly to the ship, where you are joined by embarking passengers also boarding the ship.

Taxis are readily available at each terminal and the wait can be up to 30 minutes at peak times. The blue port bus can be taken over to the colon statue and you can grab a taxi there as well. The blue port bus is 3 euro round trip per person. 3.10 euro is added to each taxi fare each way as a port supplement otherwise.

Our family of four, two adults & two children, will be staying at the Eric Vokel Apartments Gran Via Suites pre-cruise in June. We wondering if taxi's are readily available or should we pre-book a private transfer in the morning to take us to the cruise port. We already have transfer arranged from the airport to the apartment.

It's our first time to Barcelona so we're not familiar with the City. Taking the blue port bus is an option if we can get to the bus stop easily but it might be more hassle with the luggage.

Hope someone can give us some advice on the best way to get to the port.

Thank you.

Our family of four, two adults & two children, will be staying at the Eric Vokel Apartments Gran Via Suites pre-cruise in June. We wondering if taxi's are readily available

Hope someone can give us some advice on the best way to get to the port.

Thank you.

The Gran Via is very well trafficked and you will have no problem getting a taxi for 4 on the street. I think Eric Vokel are full service and they will be able to arrange a taxi as well but you will have a fee added on the taxi meter for this.

I realize it may be more complicated with children, but you do have public transport options as well. You have the Bus 20 which goes directly to the port area where you can take the blue bus to the ship just 3 blocks up or you can go 3 blocks the other way and take the D20 or other down as well. There are metro options but I actually try to stick to the busses in Barcelona myself. Buses go with extreme frequency in Barcelona with the D20 running every 4 minutes and the 20 every 10 to 15 minutes.

A T10 multiple ticket can be used by a family and makes public transport quite inexpensive.

The Barcelona based company ADELTE has announced the completion of their installation of new boarding bridges at the port of Barcelona to greet the seasonal home-porting of Allure of the Seas. Similar improvements were already made for the Oasis season and NCL Epic year-round home porting.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/creuers-del-port-de-barcelona-adds-another-adelte-passenger-boarding-bridge.html?nspPage=1

http://www.adelte.com/passenger-boarding-bridge/barcelona-muelle-adosado-terminal-c-2

The Gran Via is very well trafficked and you will have no problem getting a taxi for 4 on the street. I think Eric Vokel are full service and they will be able to arrange a taxi as well but you will have a fee added on the taxi meter for this.

I realize it may be more complicated with children, but you do have public transport options as well. You have the Bus 20 which goes directly to the port area where you can take the blue bus to the ship just 3 blocks up or you can go 3 blocks the other way and take the D20 or other down as well. There are metro options but I actually try to stick to the busses in Barcelona myself. Buses go with extreme frequency in Barcelona with the D20 running every 4 minutes and the 20 every 10 to 15 minutes.

A T10 multiple ticket can be used by a family and makes public transport quite inexpensive.

Thank you MADflyer for your suggestions. How much will taxi fare cost to the port and will it fit all 4 of us plus our luggage? Not sure if most taxis are sedans or do they have larger vehicle, like a van, available.

For the bus option, where do we pick up Bus 20? Based on your instructions, it sounds like we have to take Bus 20 to connect with the blue bus to get to the port. Is that correct? How much is the bus fare?

Thank you MADflyer for your suggestions. How much will taxi fare cost to the port and will it fit all 4 of us plus our luggage? Not sure if most taxis are sedans or do they have larger vehicle, like a van, available.

For the bus option, where do we pick up Bus 20? Based on your instructions, it sounds like we have to take Bus 20 to connect with the blue bus to get to the port. Is that correct? How much is the bus fare?

I guess they have raised the port bus to 2.50 per person this season and with the supplement for the whole taxi just 3.10, you probably are just as well to take a taxi for just over 20 euro including distance, port fee, 1 euro per bag. If you want a 6 passenger taxi they will charge you 3.10 additional and if you reserve another fee. They should be able to fit normal luggage for family of 4 in standard taxi.

The bus is 2.15 for single journey. It looks like they have changed the T10 ticket that you could have combined to a T4 ticket that is for 10 journeys per passenger for 3.90 euro but is per person now. You used to be able to share them.

The T12 childrens card is free for children 4 to 14 and children under 4 travel free.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/sistema-tarifari-integrat/-/ticket/T4

Bus 20

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus/-/bus/20

Bus D20

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus/-/bus/D20

Which terminal for Quantum of the Seas airing this am?

Quantum should be at Terminal B.

It will be a busy day in port with Celebrity Reflection at Terminal A, MSC Divina at Terminal C and Caribbean Princess at Terminal D. Azura and Zenith will be at the World Trade Center pier.

Update..... Quantum is pulling in now and it appears they took Reflection to B and Quantum will get A as she will be in port until midnight. Should know for sure soon.

Edited by MADflyer

It turns out the Celebrity Reflection is on a Amway Russian charter and they came in a day early and therefore Quantum was moved to Terminal A.

This is quite a week for RCI at Barcelona with the Anthem and Quantum calls along with an overnight for Vision prior to the post dry-dock arrival of Allure for the season. Add this to last weeks final call of Splendour until she is renamed the Thompson Discovery.

Hi all:

In looking at the various maps of the port, it looks like Terminal D is the last one very far in the back. The map shows a blue shuttle route to the terminal and back. Does this mean my taxi has to drop us off at the port entrance and we have to take a shuttle to reach Terminal D or can our taxi drop us off at the terminal D entrance directly? Thank you!

Hi all:

In looking at the various maps of the port, it looks like Terminal D is the last one very far in the back. The map shows a blue shuttle route to the terminal and back. Does this mean my taxi has to drop us off at the port entrance and we have to take a shuttle to reach Terminal D or can our taxi drop us off at the terminal D entrance directly? Thank you!

They will drop you right at Terminal D. The blue route is the shuttle from the edge of the city. If you are taking a taxi you won't need this!

Terminal A is actually just near the bridge entering the port and taxis enter a round-a-bout between Terminals C and B. Your taxi will actually just go to the second terminal to the left on entering the center of the port area and not pass Terminals A and B except from the bridge exit.