Changing TA's

no fuss travel

Does Oceania allow you to change your TA on previously booked cruises that are not until 2015? My TA that I have used for years just retired because the owners sold the business and I don't want to deal with the new owners.

You may certainly change your Booking, but you should be aware that there are rules about the Commissions involved which were designed to prevent Passengers from "selling" their business to the Agency which offers them the most swag in return.

Whichever Agent you choose now will handle the transfer for you, and will know how to handle those restrictions-

Good luck!

Basically, if you booked more than 30 days ago, the original TA will get in the neighborhood of 90% of the commission and the new TA about 10%. Under these terms, may be difficult to find a new TA who is willing to work for so little and any perks you were originally promised are probably history and perks from the new TA if you can find one are probably non-existent.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. While the title is anti-rebating, it also covers transfers of bookings to different TA's

- Regent Seven Seas Cruises/Oceania Cruises http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rssc.com%2Fmedia%2Fhostedfiles%2FPDF%2FAntiRebatingPolicy.pdf&ei=vXKfU9SCMYWGqgbc1IGYCg&usg=AFQjCNFxI8HZGc9yyI1qDImhjEYDLpbvhQ&sig2=Rjwte58-fegZc9gW8-44EQ&bvm=bv.68911936,d.b2k

The above link will open the policy as a pdf.

Edited by rallydave

However, if you cancel and rebook after 10 days with a new agent, that agent will get the full commission!! Arlene

Sorry tanny 18, they've covered that eventuality in the policy and it is more onerous than a simple transfer within the first 30 days as follows from the linked document above:

5. If a reservation is transferred to a travel agency (or is cancelled and rebooked) more than 30 days after the booking was made or anytime inside the final payment window, a 10% commission will be paid to the originating travel agency and no commission will be paid to the receiving travel agency.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The new TA's are new to the business and do not know anything at all about Oceania. They have been working for 2 months at the agency and all of the TA's that did work for the company have retired or in real lingo been let go I guess because they were too experienced. I am trying letter writing up the ladder to see what can be done. This was something that was totally out of my control and not about TA additional benefits. The agency I have used for years new personnel did not even have the courtesy to let existing clients know that their former TA's had left the agency. What a mess. All the new TA could do is giggle while talking on the phone.:mad::mad:

That is very unfortunate situation no fuss. I'm sure no one imagined this unusual set of circumstances when they devised the transfer rules (which I think a good thing and encourages professionalism). Well they might have considered an ownership change and did want to discourage transfers, and the ensuing work, but who would have expected new owners to gut their existing and apparently well qualified agents (who garnered your business and trust) with 'gigglers'.

Being a travel agent is tough business. Apparently on a come back despite the multitudes who like to 'control' their bookings & buy direct with the cruise line. I recently read an article about agency trying to recruit 'young people' in as new agents with the idea that they will in turn attract a younger set to become clients. In fact one story headline was about a teenage 'agent' at high school! Perhaps your agency read that story and took it for a new business model.

Good luck. Hope you can make the most out of this and all goes well.

Edited by YoHoHo

Maybe you can get Oceania to let you give the booking to them due to the circumstances

Then for your next cruise shop around for a new TA

Worth a try

Good luck

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

It really isn't a good idea to use a TA that is not familiar with booking Oceania. There is much they need to know in order to assist you. It seems that the only way to truly insure that your former TA does not get a commission, you need to cancel and rebook (even then I'm not certain whether they receive a commission or not). However, really think twice before rebooking with an inexperienced TA. There are many that specialize in cruises -- particularly premium and luxury cruises. Find someone who can truly help. Otherwise, agree that you should contact Oceania and see if you can cancel and rebook with them.

Sorry tanny 18, they've covered that eventuality in the policy and it is more onerous than a simple transfer within the first 30 days as follows from the linked document above:

5. If a reservation is transferred to a travel agency (or is cancelled and rebooked) more than 30 days after the booking was made or anytime inside the final payment window, a 10% commission will be paid to the originating travel agency and no commission will be paid to the receiving travel agency.

[]If you cancel your reservation and WAIT 10 days you can rebook with any agent and the commission will be for the new one. I did that in February without any problem whatsoever. Yes TRANSFERRING is the problem, but if you CANCEL and get your deposit back and rebook, then there is no problem. Arlene[/font]

[]If you cancel your reservation and WAIT 10 days you can rebook with any agent and the commission will be for the new one. I did that in February without any problem whatsoever. Yes TRANSFERRING is the problem, but if you CANCEL and get your deposit back and rebook, then there is no problem. Arlene[/font]

Really glad that worked out for you. I was simply quoting the police which says nothing about waiting 10 days to book and does cover cancel and rebook which I have quoted below from the published policy.

I looked at the policy again and may have hit on how your new TA got the full commission:

6. This same policy (numbers 4 and 5 above) will hold for bookings made without an associated travel agency except that when there is a transfer, the receiving travel agency will be paid full commission (instead of 10%) for transfers within 30 days of the reservation date and before final payment.

Am hoping the OP will be able to cancel/rebook with a new agency however, number 6 above appears to be directed at people who book direct with Oceania and then transfer/cancel-rebook. As another poster posted, best to ask Oceania what will occur in this situation or perhaps you were simply lucky and the didn't catch your transaction.

As to others saying to ask the new TA if they can keep their original or similar cabin, no way to answer that question as once cancelled, the cabin goes back into inventory and could be sold as well as others within the same category before the 10 day period, if it exists is up allowing the rebooking.

Sorry for any confusion however, simply quoting the written policy which should supersede any verbal information.

I have something to confess, and I don't quite know how to say it...

Come on boy, make a clean breast of it, get it off your chest.

Well.........

Ahem........

It seems that......

Oh, All Right already!

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH RALLYDAVE !!!!

Now, will anybody EVER speak to me again?

I have something to confess, and I don't quite know how to say it...

Come on boy, make a clean breast of it, get it off your chest.

Well.........

Ahem........

It seems that......

Oh, All Right already!

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH RALLYDAVE !!!!

Now, will anybody EVER speak to me again?

Boy, am I glad I was sitting down when I read the above post or would have fallen down hurting myself.

Seriously, we have actually agreed on many points in the past. We are both detail oriented people who perform a good analysis before posting and depend on actual information rather than opinions.

While we don't always agree, that is human nature but, we are always trying to provide the best information for others to use and help them with their travels. Thanks for the agreement where I quoted my source of facts while others were simply providing opinions.

Why call O when the problem is the TA that the cruise was booked with?

Unless I'm missing something, they have a right to the commission per the commissions agreement (which I assume the new TA must also agree to if it wishes to book O cruises as well), so it is really up to them whether or not to give it up.

I did and that is the reason why I want to move. I am not comfortable with the new TA's at the agency. Oceania has provided the way to have my cruises transferred to another agency. Thank you Oceania.

Thanks for the update. I don't think there was much doubt that you could transfer the booking, it was just how the commissions would play out given that 30 days passed since the bookings were made.

Did O give the new TA the full commissions as well, so that both the original TA and the new TA got full commissions on your bookings?:confused:

Or did O somehow finesse the original TA to give up the full commissions that appear to be entitled to?

I didn't ask, so I don't know. That is between the two different agencies and Oceania. After talking to several friends who used the same TA that I had used for years, I think the agency will be losing a lot of clients as none of them feel we will still get the service we were spoilt with. My old TA was wonderful and my new TA who I have had an interview with sounds like she will give me the same service. The best part about the new TA is that the office is 10 minutes if that from where I live, whereas my old TA was just about 90 minutes from where I live now. The fact that the new TA is very knowledgeable about areas that I still want to visit was also another reason for changing too.

I didn't ask, so I don't know. That is between the two different agencies and Oceania. After talking to several friends who used the same TA that I had used for years, I think the agency will be losing a lot of clients as none of them feel we will still get the service we were spoilt with. My old TA was wonderful and my new TA who I have had an interview with sounds like she will give me the same service. The best part about the new TA is that the office is 10 minutes if that from where I live, whereas my old TA was just about 90 minutes from where I live now. The fact that the new TA is very knowledgeable about areas that I still want to visit was also another reason for changing too.

So happy that you got the matter settled.

Never thought about a TA's location since ours is 1500 miles away and provides us with great services and perks.

As I read it.......

You booked a cruise with a TA at a price and with bonuses and you were happy.

The original TA handled the booking and subsequently agreed a sale of their business INCLUDING Goodwill and with the benefit of commissions on future bookings already made. Presumably their buyout is on a partial payment basis with the balance within a reasonable period

I really do not understand the problem. Other than receiving a final payment Bill what else happens ?

To me its an Ocean out of a Puddle so to speak.

Brian