Time to Take A Stand - Elimination of In Room Consumption

Just got off the phone with RCCL customer service Dept. about many things (not all bad). I did ask about the reason for this elimination, and they said that it was mostly behavior related. It just goes to show that a few people can ruin something for a lot of people, so dont be mad at the cruise line, be mad at the people who made the cruise line take away the priviliage.

At any sporting event at one time you could bring food & drinks as long as it was not in a glass container. At some point the policy was changed, life subsequently went on. Movie theatres let you bring in your own food at one point, then that policy was changed, life still went on. Rccl has now changed a policy, life will amazingly still go on. It is thier company, and profit is the most likely motive, guess what they are in business to make money.

I went on my first cruise in over 30 years last week and had a wonderful time. After reading all the posts before the cruise I decided not to smuggle and purchased a bottle for consumption in my room. I was not particularly pleased however because I recall that in the past when I traveled with my parents by ship to Asia and Europe it was permissible to bring liquor on board. In fact, as I recall many of their friends would bring bottles as going away gifts.

I cannot believe that this decision was made because of behavior issues. They push alcohol like there is no tomorrow. They start as early as 10 AM pushing the foo foo drinks by the pool. Moreover, there was one individual on our ship that had too much to drink at the bar, at least 6 drinks in less than an hour, who subsequently started hassling some of the ships crew. He was quietly put off the ship in St Thomas for this behavior. People who drink to excess will do it where ever.

One of the reasons I had a great time was due in part to be able to sit out on the balcony with a drink with my darling wife, taking in the salt air and watching the sea. This was our quite time and we enjoyed it everyday. If this decision was based on dollars I can only think it was poorly thought out. I will definitely make my opinion known to RCCL. I am retiring next year and was looking at one or more cruises a year. Now I will rethink my options. One option is the all-inclusive resorts. They are generally cheaper in the long run anyway. So as I think about it right now, rather than gaining a loyal repeat customer, they will get the occasional cruise, if any, from me.

Just got off the phone with RCCL customer service Dept. about many things (not all bad). I did ask about the reason for this elimination, and they said that it was mostly behavior related. It just goes to show that a few people can ruin something for a lot of people, so dont be mad at the cruise line, be mad at the people who made the cruise line take away the priviliage.

Yeah sure! If you can believe that one. You can believe anything. :rolleyes:

They're simply trying to get you to buy their over priced drinks in their bars, and their lounges - period. I doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I think you misundertsand the real objection to this change in policy. I don't think too many people would have objected to an increase in the fee so much as to no longer having the option to say...pouring your own drink in your own cabin when you want one. Cruises are for relaxing and being on your "own" time when you can. I don't see what the big deal was about us having a bottle in our own cabins and a cocktail with friends on our own balconies. Can you give a real explaination for it?

Fury,

I certainly agree with you about enjoying our cruises as we want. I checked with customer service yesterday about having liquor provided in the Royal suite. They said that it is an amenity and would be provided. Well, if one can have it, why can't another have it???:confused:

We only have the Royal suite on the next cruise because we have 10 more with us, adult children and all, and want the space for our get togethers. We have enjoyed suites for the past 4 years, but never the best that the ship offers. This will probably be one of the few times that we will "splurge".

In our period of cruising, we have seen guests become rather bombed, sitting at a bar, the bartenders continuing to serve the guest. :confused: I don't think that it's a question of someones stupor that RCCL has stopped the retail sales of liquor. I'll bet my bottom dollar that if you want to go to any bar and get blitzed, the bartenders will keep serving.

When we were aboard the Legend OS in May, the line decided just shortly before she drydocked outside of Lisbon, to change the currency from the US dollar to the pound sterling. We almost had a mutiny because most of the Brits already had changed their currency to the dollar.

Well, the drink of the day was still 3.75, however, it was in shillings, not dollars. All of a sudden the drink of the day was almost $7.25 US. RCCL did not correct this situation till the next cruise out of Southampton.

My thoughts are the same as others on this board, that RCCL thinks that they are missing on revenues with liquor being sold in the retail store. Someone on this or another thread mentioned "customer service". This is one area that I think they will find that they have been "Penny wise, and Pound foolish".

I am making my voice heard at RCCL via email and a letter. I hope others will do the same if they feel offended.

Rick

Not being a big drinker...Not that big of a deal for me.But I can certainly see how it is for some.Even for a non big drinker,who just wants a little cocktail before dinner,without going to a bar..

I don't know what the policey is on most other ships.If it is inline with others,then I don't see any need for any big uproar.............

However...What totally baffles me is...Why on earth would they sell it onboard,only to be delivered on the last day????Its not like they carry any special vintages or have great prices?Who would want to bring it home??

Most people are partied out by then anyway...As a matter of fact,being a resident of Texas...I can only bring home..either by way of ship or across state line...Like a half a quart...(ok,that may be a little low...But its very little)

So...I am a little confused on this one? I mean jeez...Begrudge someone a champagne toast on their balcony!!!??

We purchased a bottle of liquor on our last cruise to bring home, it was about $10 cheaper than what we can purchase the same product at home. So, there are some people that utilize the duty free products. We purchased it on the 2nd day out and RCCI held it until the last night which it was delievered to our room. We are not big drinkers but did bring a couple of small pints with us packed our suitcase and that worked fine for the cruise.

Does any other cruise line still let you take it back by paying a consumption fee?

As mentioned on this or another thread, RCCL's sister company X will sell you a bottle with a 6 pack of soda and nibbles for $50.00. Expensive, but still cheaper than by the drink.

Rick

Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't Room Service offer liquor by the bottle? I have never paid that much attention to the room service liquor menu as DH orders one or two bottles of wine from Room Serivce and that is what we drink in our cabin before dinner. It isn't the best selection, but it allows us to have a glass in our cabin while we are getting ready to go to dinner.

If they do not sell bottles thru room service, and this change truly is about $$$ as most believe, then why not offer bottles that way? It sounds to me like RCCL wants their share of the revenue and they are only getting a cut from the concession that handles the Duty Free Shop.

As for being able to control consumption, yes that is a legal issue. But people who want to drink to excess are going to find a way to do it, whether they successfully smuggle it on board or pay for it at the bars or order it off the room service menu. I am not for enabling over-drinking, but the majority of folks only want to have a drink or two in their cabin, not get wasted every afternoon. It seems to me that bottles of liquor thru Room Service would make money.

Elimination of In Room Consumption:

Well, that gets my vote. Comsumption, currently known as tuberculosis, is a very serious - and contagious - illness. Running unchecked, it can make Norwalk look like a simple GI bug. I say if we can eliminate it (in room - or anywhere onboard) we should!

I say if we can eliminate it (in room - or anywhere onboard) we should!

Shouldn't people be free to do what they want in their own room? I agree, they shouldn't be out coughing on deck and spreading it around; but behind closed doors, who are we to put them down?

You have a point. But if we encourage the comsumption thing, the next thing you know people would be wanting to board with their leporasy, plague, eboli, and every other non human friendly organism - all touting their "right" to have these conditions in the privacy of their own rooms. And what if you are the next passenger to share the cabin? Do you really trust the cabin stewards to decontaminate between each cruise?? No, I say it is better to nip this whole idea in the bud!

[B]Made my call to RCI this morning. I thought I’d start at the bottom. So I called the representative that one calls for all normal information.

I said “I was told to call back on Monday to find out the reason for the liquor policy change”

Answer: “I don’t know the reason sir”

“Can you find out please?”

Goes off to see supervisor

“We don’t know the reason sir”

“Would you connect me with someone that may know please”

Gone again

“I’m not sure sir. It could be for customer safety”

“You think angering so many people is going to make people safer?”

“I’ll connect you with customer service sir “

Customer service: “Can I help you”

“Yes! could you tell me the reason for the recent policy change on liquor? ”

“I don’t know the reason sir”

“Then can you tell me what department initiated the policy change?”

“The executive office ” “They don’t need to publish it sir”

“Fine! Than that’s what I’ll post than".[/b]

[B]Made my call to RCI this morning. I thought I’d start at the bottom. So I called the representative that one calls for all normal information.

I said “I was told to call back on Monday to find out the reason for the liquor policy change”

Answer: “I don’t know the reason sir”

“Can you find out please?”

Goes off to see supervisor

“We don’t know the reason sir”

“Would you connect me with someone that may know please”

Gone again

“I’m not sure sir. It could be for customer safety”

“You think angering so many people is going to make people safer?”

“I’ll connect you with customer service sir “

Customer service: “Can I help you”

“Yes! could you tell me the reason for the recent policy change on liquor? ”

“I don’t know the reason sir”

“Then can you tell me what department initiated the policy change?”

“The executive office ” “They don’t need to publish it sir”

“Fine! Than that’s what I’ll post than".[/b]

Costumer safety, huh? See, I told you all consumption was potentially fatal as well as contagious. You just can't take TB lightly. The fact that we have done such a good job treating it in this country does not mean that it does not remain a world wide health risk. And BTW, it is on the rise again even in this country.

You have a point. But if we encourage the comsumption thing, the next thing you know people would be wanting to board with their leporasy, plague, eboli, and every other non human friendly organism - all touting their "right" to have these conditions in the privacy of their own rooms. And what if you are the next passenger to share the cabin? Do you really trust the cabin stewards to decontaminate between each cruise?? No, I say it is better to nip this whole idea in the bud!

But this can be a good thing. Consider this: if we put all the chair hogs on one deck with the comsumption people, they can possible eliminate each other, making the entire cruise vacation harmonious for other passengers.

Costumer safety, huh? See, I told you all consumption was potentially fatal as well as contagious. You just can't take TB lightly. The fact that we have done such a good job treating it in this country does not mean that it does not remain a world wide health risk. And BTW, it is on the rise again even in this country.

The average person you or I speak to is neither made aware of nor is empowered to convey why management makes any decision. The only person who is going to answer the question is perhaps Richard Fain or maybe one level below Richard and the liklihood of getting a true answer is about the same as geting the real story as to what happened to George Smith on the Brilliance. It is really sad that we all sit here and imagine it is the profit motive

( more than likely) safety - maybe or somebody had a brain fart and decided to piss off the paying passengers because he had a fight with his wife that day. BUT until we hear from someone in authority at RCCL noting is gonna change and all we are going to do is raise our blood pressure. If you want a bottle in your cabin you will figure a way to get it there

I know for a fact that my carry on bag is going to be quite heavy next time. It will be a hassle, but where there's a will, there's a way. Carnival did the same thing several years ago, now RCI....

This has got me thinking, I understand that this will increase revenue, and tips for the bartenders, but will it also increase revenue by keeping the pax on the ship drinking instead of falling, jumping or being thrown off their ships????

As for boarding with consumtion, will these pax be immediatly sent to the infirmary for evaluation?? I certainly don't want any of them caughing on me.

Stretch

I've sent my messages of displeasure to both RCI and the vendor.

Have you? (you meaning those who also dislike this action....if you do not express yourself, they will think everything is OK with you)

Right you are Truffles2 :)

The passenger that disappeared off the Brilliance OS got into an argument with other people in a lounge. If he were drinking in his stateroom, he would have been all right.

If RCI really had our safety interest in mind,

They would stop serving liquor at all their bars. :mad:

Elimination of In Room Consumption:

Well, that gets my vote. Comsumption, currently known as tuberculosis, is a very serious - and contagious - illness. Running unchecked, it can make Norwalk look like a simple GI bug. I say if we can eliminate it (in room - or anywhere onboard) we should!

From the Dictionary:

1. <LI type=a>The act or process of consuming. <LI type=a>The state of being consumed.
  2. An amount consumed.

From the Dictionary:

1. <LI type=a>The act or process of consuming. <LI type=a>The state of being consumed.
  2. An amount consumed.

ya shoulda scrolled down a little further:

consumption: wasting disease - any condition that causes progressive wasting of the tissues, especially tuberculosis of the lungs (dated)

Personally, I'm all for in-room consumption ;)

Archived