Time to Take A Stand - Elimination of In Room Consumption

Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't Room Service offer liquor by the bottle? I have never paid that much attention to the room service liquor menu as DH orders one or two bottles of wine from Room Serivce and that is what we drink in our cabin before dinner. It isn't the best selection, but it allows us to have a glass in our cabin while we are getting ready to go to dinner.

I believe that they do sell bottles pf hard liquor through room service. The selection, like the wine list, if pretty limited, though. We didn't order any, so I don't know what the prices were like. Perhaps they will expand the offerings. By the way, on certain ships (we did it on Radiance) you can order from the full dining room wine list from room service. The list is available on the interactive TV room service menu - pretty cool. It wasn't available until 6 on Radiance (when the wine steward opened up the cellar, guess he has the only key), so if you want something earlier, place the order the night before and just don't open it until the next day.

You have a point.No, I say it is better to nip this whole idea in the bud!

Quite right Spelling Queen! BTW, is that Bud regular or Bud light??:D

I have written to several vice presidents at RCCL today, posing the question of why, and now feel that anymore pushing from me would get me kicked off my next cruise before I get on!!:)

Rick

We purchased a bottle of liquor on our last cruise to bring home, it was about $10 cheaper than what we can purchase the same product at home. So, there are some people that utilize the duty free products. We purchased it on the 2nd day out and RCCI held it until the last night which it was delievered to our room. We are not big drinkers but did bring a couple of small pints with us packed our suitcase and that worked fine for the cruise.
webski, IF your cruise is in the Caribbean, you will find the same or lower prices in the islands. Many many many passengers will simply buy in the ports, and RC will lose that sale, too.

And you STATE RIGHT HERE that you "smuggle" your own stash. I would think that you would SUPPORT those who want to have their own liquor to drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

webski, IF your cruise is in the Caribbean, you will find the same or lower prices in the islands. Many many many passengers will simply buy in the ports, and RC will lose that sale, too.

And you STATE RIGHT HERE that you "smuggle" your own stash. I would think that you would SUPPORT those who want to have their own liquor to drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

Carol,

What are you doing up at this time of night??

Are you down to counting hours yet??:D Sorry to get off topic, just couldn't help myself.

Speaking of counting, I'm counting on you to feel out the ship's staff for how the new "law" relates to your cruise.

We could have a roll call for the number of CC members that support the repeal of the latest law.

Nah,,,,, let's just keep the thread going..........

Rick

I cruise in the summer because I'm a teacher, Rick. My vacation started a while ago........it's just my cruise that still awaits me. :D

Besides, I'm naturally nocturnal.

And you can be sure that I'll post a full review on August 21st, ESPECIALLY about alcohol-related matters.

Carol

(and I couldn't get on the boards ALL DAY - dratted "technical" difficulties)

OK. So if RCI is eliminating the $9.50 fee to be able to take the bottle o' booze back to your room to consume, then are they eliminating the $12 corkage fee you pay when dining in the dining room to have your own wine-that-is-not-offered-by-RCI-on-their-wine-list-but-that-you-brought-from-home next?

How does that work anyway? How do they charge you the "corkage fee" in the dining room? Is what you bring onboard kept until you request it? And do you have to check your wine against their wine list before your trip and get prior approval to bring it onboard?

I'm just a bit confused is all...

There are celebrations to be had and we want to toast them with some libation in our room on our balcony! If room service is to bring the bubbly, then it better be a bottle and not just a glass of it!!

If you're a Diamond member of C&A and the ship has conceirge service, you can get free pre-dinner drinks and snacks as well as after dinner drinks free of charge. A nice deal if you qualify. But what about the passenger that hasn't reached that level? Let them buy what they want and take it back to their stateroom.
I'm sure that by the time we reach the diamond level RCI will have done away with this perk too! :( We discovered cruising too late! :(

I would guess that at least a small part of the reason for the policy change is that enough people have abused the system to hurt those who just want to enjoy an after dinner drink or an occasional in-room cocktail.

You make an excellent point here. I've seen people blatantly walking around with their own cocktails. I've seen them make drinks at the pool. The few who abuse a privilege get it taken away from us that respect the privilege.

I've sent my messages of displeasure to both RCI and the vendor.

Have you? (you meaning those who also dislike this action....if you do not express yourself, they will think everything is OK with you)

What can it hurt? Letters on the way!

Yeah sure! If you can believe that one. You can believe anything. :rolleyes:

They're simply trying to get you to buy their over priced drinks in their bars, and their lounges - period. I doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Trying to get you to buy, probably right, over priced? Do you drink much at home when you go out? I live in a small town where drinks are cheaper than the city and still do not find booze particularly expensive on ships. Do I like paying $4,$5 or $6 for a drink? Of couse not, but that is the going rate around here. The only thing higher on a ship than in our community is a glass of wine, but $5 or more is the rate in all major cities. NMNita

I thought the same thing on our cruise. The drinks were very reasonable, unless you were going to binge. I can see not wanting to wait for room service to bring them but on the whole, I thought the drinks were an expected value on cruises.

Carol

CArol, you don't think the next step is to convescate all the booze we buy in the Caribbean, even a little bottle. The minute we go through Xray, we will be called over. Maybe we will get some on board but the days of drinking in our cabins without paying bucks is about to end. NMNita

CArol, you don't think the next step is to convescate all the booze we buy in the Caribbean, even a little bottle. The minute we go through Xray, we will be called over. Maybe we will get some on board but the days of drinking in our cabins without paying bucks is about to end. NMNita

I think they have far too many to load in too short of a time for this, especialy on embarkation.

On my last three Celebrity cruises, the policy was no liquor taken from the duty-free shop to the room. One of the three told me to come back with my Celebrity tote bag, and they'd take care of me, but the other two wouldn't budge.

We just got off the Brilliance last Friday from the Mediterranean. I didn't try to buy anything in the liquor shop, but the mini-bars were devoid of any type of alcohol. When I asked the cabin steward about it stocking it with some beer and a few mini-bottles, he said they weren't allowed to do that anymore.

We had no trouble bringing bottles of wine or liquor from the ports back to our room in our totebags.

Allen

Nita. Their rule ALREADY is to "confiscate" all alcohol that you bring on board from a port and "hold" it for you until disembarkation at the end of the cruise.

THAT'S WHY this new policy hurts them. No one will have any incentive to buy THEIR stuff from THEIR store if the end result is the same for a LOWER PRICE.

doh

Carol

We've never seen booze in the minifridge. On Radiance they had a "wired" fridge with sodas & candy - if you took anything out your account would automatically be charged. They had disabled the system because there were so many pax who said, "oh, what's this?", took the Coke or whatever out of its slot and then had to go to the purser's desk to get the charge removed.

Here's the price of buying a bottle ahead of time on Princess, which doesn't allow you to bring purchases back to your cabin. I've read on CC that you save a couple of bucks by waiting until you board to place your order. I think that $32 for a liter of Grey Goose (honed in on my personal fave:D ) is a screaming deal. The price in the duty free was close to $30, so adding the consumption fee would make it more expensive than room service. Jack Daniels (DH's poison of choice) is priced at $37, which seems like a lot to me. So I guess it depends on what you drink, but I don't think these prices are out of line - the only place I can find GG at that price is at MCRD (marine corps base) in San Diego. If RCI has similar prices and offerings through room service, I don't think the end result will be all that drastically different for most pax. I don't think that's such a big deal, myself. But that's a big IF, isn't it?

Scotch

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Chivas Regal (liter)

Jameson Irish

J&B Rare (liter)

Bourbon/Canadian & American Whiskies

Jack Daniels (liter)

Crown Royal

Seagrams 7 Crown

Vodka

Grey Goose (liter)

Stolichnaya (liter)

Absolut (liter)

Smirnoff (liter)

Gin

Bombay Sapphire (liter)

Beefeater (liter)

Rum

Bacardi Limon (liter)

Cruzan Coconut

Bacardi White

Captain Morgan's

Cognac & Liqueurs

Remy Martin V.S.O.P. (700 ml)

Grand Marnier

Drambuie (liter)

Bailey's (liter)

Item #468 $40

Item #450 $37

Item #467 $27

Item #451 $27

Item #452 $37

Item #469 $27

Item #470 $22

Item #473 $32

Item #471 $22

Item #472 $22

Item #454 $22

Item #456 $27

Item #455 $22

Item #457 $22

Item #474 $22

Item #475 $22

Item #476 $22

Item #458 $40

Item #479 $40

Item #478 $37

Item #477 $32

We've never seen booze in the minifridge. I think that $32 for a liter of Grey Goose (honed in on my personal fave:D ) is a screaming deal. The price in the duty free was close to $30, so adding the consumption fee would make it more expensive than room service. Jack Daniels (DH's poison of choice) is priced at $37, which seems like a lot to me.

Vodka

Grey Goose (liter)

Stolichnaya (liter)

Absolut (liter)

Smirnoff (liter)

This is exactly why I don't cruise on Princess. They don't stock Ketel One!!!

Of course if I can no longer purchase Ketel One on RCCL, weeeellllll, maybe I'll just have to find out how tight their security is!:D

Rick

Some people get on with their alcohol. While others on the same ship do not. We have brought a bottle of wine on three times (the only times we have tried) without a problem. We were prepared to have it taken. Once was in Sydney while the person in front of us wanted to take a bottle to give to his friend in one of the ports. They confiscated it and told him he could keep it if he paid the corkage fee. He wouldn't. Once in New Zealand. Once in Chili. I wonder if they can tell from the Sea Pass that the person has purchased his/her share on the ships. We each order a bottle of what we want in the dining room and keep it until consumed. Additionally, we purchase wine and DH some beer at other times.

My "take" on this issue is this: It really doesn't matter what rules the "other" cruise lines have on alcohol consumption in the room or what the rules are. People do not like change--especially if they are adversely impacted. I certainly will NOT buy more liquor from RCI because of this... because having available liquor in the cabin never meant that I bought LESS from RCI or the bars, AND they are diminishing my cruising pleasure by instituting this policy and that angers me.

They could use some psycho-analysts to look at their policy changes and directives instead of just psychos looking at the bottom line.:eek:

As a shareholder, I applaud them looking out for the bottom line. It's what they're supposed to do. I agree that they can't just toss customer service out the window, but they have to make up for increased fuel costs and inflation, however modest, somehow. And conforming to an industry standard seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I certainly will NOT buy more liquor from RCI because of this... because having available liquor in the cabin never meant that I bought LESS from RCI or the bars, AND they are diminishing my cruising pleasure by instituting this policy and that angers me.

How could having cheaper liquor in your cabin not make you spend less in the bars? That seems illogical.

Archived