self service soft serve ice cream?

1153rsmith

I'm with you're husband. I've tried ice cream on both HAL and Celebrity and it was essentially tasteless frozen ice crystals. It was like being served the frozen stuff from the outside of an ice cream container. Absolutely awful and should be downright embarrassing for these cruise lines to serve to passengers. So bad I couldn't bring myself to order it again.

You're right about the Princess sorbet. Delicious.

Interesting that you say that because the "ice cream" that is served on Princess, IMHO, is more like frozen, BLAND ice crystals. Perhaps my two efforts on two different Princess ships were just a fluke but husband an I had to dump it after the first two bites. We never tried it again. However, the ice cream in the dining rooms are generally always good. I love HAL's scooped ice cream but it is only served a few hours in the afternoon.

Interesting that you say that because the "ice cream" that is served on Princess, IMHO, is more like frozen, BLAND ice crystals. Perhaps my two efforts on two different Princess ships were just a fluke but husband an I had to dump it after the first two bites. We never tried it again. However, the ice cream in the dining rooms are generally always good. I love HAL's scooped ice cream but it is only served a few hours in the afternoon.

I like the DR ice cream too.

Don't know here they get the ice crystal stuff in other venues.

Then there is the ice milk. :cool:

I love, love, love ice cream but have been sadly disappointed with the soft serve offerings on Princess. Too bad (for me that is)

A history lesson:

At one time Princess had:

o Sundaes counter which sold brand name packaged ice cream

o An hour each afternoon in the Horizon court with no-charge ship-made ice cream (like they serve in the dining room) along with fixings to make your own sundae

Then:

o Per many postings on Cruise Critic, passengers wanted to know why Princess did not have free soft-serve like Carnival and RCCL.

Followed by Princess listening to the demand:

o Changed Sundaes from a for-charge name-brand ice cream to free soft-serve, just what posters were requesting

o Eliminated the free real ice cream hour in the buffet area (except on the small ships which did not have a Sundaes or equivalent)

Moral:

o Be careful what you ask for. You may get it and be disappointed.

I have liked the soft serve on the Star and Golden. It's one of the few chocolate soft serves I've had that actually tastes like chocolate. I hope it's the same on the grand in 32 days!

It all had to with the way the machine is set. We've been on some ships where they've had it set incorrectly & it was bland & others where it's great. As I recall the Grand was OK but that was a while ago.

A history lesson:

At one time Princess had:

o Sundaes counter which sold brand name packaged ice cream

o An hour each afternoon in the Horizon court with no-charge ship-made ice cream (like they serve in the dining room) along with fixings to make your own sundae

Yes but it was a paid for ice cream which didn't go over big with a lot of people.

When they had the free ice cream it was as I recall late afternoon when it began & lots of folks who eat early don't want a big dish of ice cream 1 1/2 hours before dinner. If it was offered at lunch it would have been better.

I mean, meatloaf and fried chicken in the dining room? I was expecting more beef wellington and other more luxurious items.

Unless you live in a mansion with Muffy and Biff, I doubt beef wellington is on anyone's menu at home for an every night dinner. Its a "homestyle" menu, meaning every day comfort food. For most of us non-rich poor slobs, meat loaf and fried chicken were a part of that.

When they had the free ice cream it was as I recall late afternoon when it began & lots of folks who eat early don't want a big dish of ice cream 1 1/2 hours before dinner. If it was offered at lunch it would have been better.

It was usually 3-4 PM or 3:30-4:30 PM.

Imagine the mess if they had self serve soft ice cream!

That was my first thought.

We really the ice cream and sorbets that are served in the mdr, but we've never tried anything from the ice cream bar. I didn't know it was different from the ice cream served in the dining room so I'm glad for the heads up.

People (mostly men) used to line up ahead of time for that afternoon ice cream in the buffet, with my DH leading the way. I never understood the appeal. First, I don't like the ice cream, but also it was mostly melted by half-way through the hour.

As for self-serve ice cream...on the ships where it has been offered, any messes are quickly cleaned up by crewmembers. It's no worse than what happens in the food stations in the Horizon Court.

Unless you live in a mansion with Muffy and Biff, I doubt beef wellington is on anyone's menu at home for an every night dinner. Its a "homestyle" menu, meaning every day comfort food. For most of us non-rich poor slobs, meat loaf and fried chicken were a part of that.

Just a bit of clarification the entire menu is not homestyle. There is one homestyle selection, such as meatloaf on the menu each night. The rest of the menu tends to be a bit fancier selections (except for the burger on the everyday portion of the menu, but even it tends to be a more upscale burger).

People (mostly men) used to line up ahead of time for that afternoon ice cream in the buffet, with my DH leading the way. I never understood the appeal. First, I don't like the ice cream, but also it was mostly melted by half-way through the hour.

As for self-serve ice cream...on the ships where it has been offered, any messes are quickly cleaned up by crewmembers. It's no worse than what happens in the food stations in the Horizon Court.

They were serving ice cream in the Horizon recently on the Coral with cherries jubilee & it was just as you described- mostly melted if you ate late in the evening. It's not the best dessert to serve in that situation.