missed port Canaveral departure - how to get to Coco cay on your own

mapltc

Yes, you can catch up with the ship in St Thomas but it will be very expensive for all of you to buy airfare to get there...especially at the last minute.

I hope it works out for your group.

Probably more expensive than booking another cruise.

If that were the case, I would probably book a week in one of the resorts here or in the keys.

just to stir the pot

basic problem is that Little Stirrup Key is not a 'port of entry' for the Bahamas. The cruise line has an exception rule because they do not 'land' people. Everyone who ARRIVES by the ship LEAVES by the ship.

In theory ... one in OP's situation .... COULD .. enter the Bahama's via a valid port of entry, like flying to Nassau, Freeport, Bimini .... and THEN search for transportation to FREEDOM / Coco / Little Stirrup Cay. . .

BUT CoCo has no airstrip so even chartering a small plane is a problem

FREEDOM does have a helo deck ...

So ALL you'd need to do is clear Customs in Nassau and charter a helo from there to land on the ship's helo pad . . .

OR

a seaplane . . .

In case the worst happens and we miss our departure out of Port Canaveral, can anyone tell me if we can feasibly catch up with our ship (Freedom of the Seas) in Coco Cay?

I know there are flights from Orlando to the Bahamas but both airports are quite a distance (by water) to Coco Cay.

thanks,

MAPLTC

You can either fly to Nassau then fly to Great Harbour Cay or charter a small plane to fly to Great Harbour Cay direct. Neither option is a good Idea and not cheap on short notice. You would then have to get someone to take you there in a small boat.

http://www.bahamas.com/how-to-get-here-the-berry-islands-scheduled-air

http://www.greatharbourcay.com/

My advice would get there a day or two ahead of time.

Reading this thread has made me wonder, If you were to book ground transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal directly with the cruise line, would the ship wait for you??

Edited by raprice18

Reading this thread has made me wonder, If you were to book ground transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal directly with the cruise line, would the ship wait for you??

While there are no PROMISES

I was on a Disney cruise from PC that waited 2 hours ... for 3 bus loads from MCO. BIG cheers on the ship when the buses were seen pulling into the parking lot . . .

The announcements made on board said it was folks on Disney booked flights that were delayed due to weather . . .

were there more that were still later arriving to MCO?????

Edited by Capt_BJ

Just thought of something, you can hop on the Bimini Express out of Fort Lauderdale for $45 per person, enter customs and immigration then book a private charter to Coco Key.

That won't be cheap because it will be about three hours.

Just a thought. Since airport is reported to be big, how about requesting special treatment at your destination. Phone airline now to get it set up. Mobility challenged people can get wheelchairs with pushers or even get a ride in a golf cart sort of vehicle. Perhaps the military card will get you some help. Or, the two or three elders can ride with all the carryons allowing the youngsters to walk really fast. The. Wheelchair or golf cart takes you to the baggage claim and even to waiting cars or taxis. Good luck

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions but fortunately, we did not need them! I had hired a driver to meet us at the airport - Orlando Chaufered Services - and they were very helpful. Four of us were coming in to one terminal and the other two, who were due to arrive last, came into a different terminal. They told us how to get from our terminal to the other one. They called when they had arrived and the driver waited until we were all together with our luggage. We left the airport at 1:30 and arrived at the cruise ship at 2:30. We were probably one of the last ones to board, but we made it. Never again.

I would definitely recommend their service and will use them if we ever go out of Port Canaveral again.

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions but fortunately, we did not need them! I had hired a driver to meet us at the airport - Orlando Chaufered Services - and they were very helpful. Four of us were coming in to one terminal and the other two, who were due to arrive last, came into a different terminal. They told us how to get from our terminal to the other one. They called when they had arrived and the driver waited until we were all together with our luggage. We left the airport at 1:30 and arrived at the cruise ship at 2:30. We were probably one of the last ones to board, but we made it. Never again.

I would definitely recommend their service and will use them if we ever go out of Port Canaveral again.

I am so happy that you made it! Have been following this thread and hoping for the best for you.

And thank you for sharing your timeline. It was helpful to me in making the decision to drive in the day before our upcoming FOS cruise. My 25+ year streak flying Delta out of Atlanta with no major delays or cancellations was broken last year with a 3-hour delay on a flight to Charleston. I was late for my work speaking engagement, but luckily did not have a cruise on the line!

Thanks so much for the update! So glad it worked out for you and your family!!

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions but fortunately, we did not need them!... We left the airport at 1:30 and arrived at the cruise ship at 2:30. We were probably one of the last ones to board, but we made it. Never again.

Thank you for the update and so glad you made the ship! You were blessed that everything worked out so well. I hope you all had a fabulous cruise, and may God bless and keep your son safe.

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon,

Just curious if anyone has had a sitution similar to this: Cruise for family of 5 is booked for 10/18 sailing out of Miami. The father may have to stay behind due to the sickness and possible death of a family member. Is it possible for him to join us a few days in to the cruise either in St. Thomas or San Juan? He would be responsible for his own flight of course and has a passport!! I have emailed my PVP and waiting on his response. LP:confused:

Several years ago some friends I was travelling with were late arriving by plane. They were booked with RCI transportation to the port and they were allowed to board the ship after the Muster drill.

Maybe an option would be to book a transfer with Royal Caribbean to the port from MCO.

just read this thread with bated breath - and was delighted to hear all went well!

however....

we're on EOS in january and now i'm wondering about our timing. flying in should be no trouble - we arrive at like 11am. on the way home though, our flight at 1215p. what time do you think we should disembark? we haven't booked transfers yet but we were thinking of non-RCCL ones. any advice would be very welcome!