Silver Glapagos Chronocles

joek

We've just returned from the June7, 2014 Silver Galapagos cruise to the North Central Galapagos.

Here are links to the daily Chronocle editions we got. Day1 was arrival in Baltra, transfer to ship, orientation, etc.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day2.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day3.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day4.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day5.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day6.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83975063/Day7.pdf

OK, it is Friday, last full day of my first week on the Silver Galapagos. A few thoughts and observations:

- Ship is not in bad shape at all. Plenty of room in Deluxe Veranda for just me and all my "stuff".

- Western itinerary seems to be more about taking pictures of the scenery than of the birds and animals. I have been told that the reverse is true for next week's northern itinerary.

- Butler tries very hard to please, but I find I have to ask for a lot of things to get them done. No real anticipation of needs or desires. This may improve more over time, if they keep the same staff. I did have to ask that he not clear away my camera gear every day, as I had trouble finding things when they weren't where I put them in the morning. Not much time to download all my cards and set up for the next day. Suite sure was clean though!

- Chef is Austrian and the food, within the limits imposed by the government, has been good. Lobster season, so I have had lobster for both lunch and dinner.

- Tried Hot Rocks last night. Kind of weird in comparison to the other Silver Seas ships. I didn't care for how it was done. Only large groups book tables, so I would have been out of place going alone. I was with one man & 4 women. But who knows what will when I go again next week.

- They had a Disco Party last night. That is so different from the more formal regular Silver Seas cruises. Kind of Carnival meets Silver Seas. Fun for the open minded.

- Unfortunately, the tours are sort of geared for the power hiker rather than the slow, wait for the good shot, photographer like me. As expected, I keep getting left behind.

- Although it is Friday and disembarkation is tomorrow (at 7 AM!!!) they are already starting to clean up the ship for the next passengers. Glad I have another week to get ready for the speed departure from the ship.

- A few of the guides and passengers came down with a flu like illness during the week. I am a hand sanitizer fanatic so, so far, I haven't come down with anything. Hope that holds true through next week.

- They sort of rush us off the beach for the hikes, so it is hard to change into hiking shoes after a wet landing.

- Internet is expensive, so I am not getting it every day. Will restart next Monday.

- As I expected, this is a go, go, go trip, not a "cruise". Definitely will need a vacation after this.

More when I get a chance.

Liz

The go go go is exactly what I felt on our trip on the explorer to Svalbard

And because there was virtually no darkness I slept very little and felt I might miss something if I did sleep

We were busy all day

I know now that I have to pace myself but I did feel like you that I needed to relax after the intensity of the experience

It was amazing and I would do it all again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear someone else say GoGo. We just returned from June 7 cruise after a post adventure to Peru including Machu Pichu. (It was GoGo, too!) i tried to do a "Live from Galapagos" but fell so behind because of no time to post and really wasted money by buying the internet package, although DH did check email and some local news in our mid-day downtime.

Once I recover from summer cold etc. I will do a review. There were some definite positives on our east/northern island cruise, and then some not-so, especially around service, or lack there of. But I must say, what we saw and experienced was absolutely amazing. As we look at pictures and think of what the Galapagos islands adventure represents, those negatives will eventually recede.

Joanna

I feel that Silversea is remiss in advertising that a Silver Galapagos cruise is on a par with cruises on other Silversea ships.

There have been many posts about quality of the service onboard the Silver Galapagos, both room and dining. On our June 7th cruise, I had several chats with Gustavo the Maitre’d and understand that Silversea is bound by Government regulations to an employee serving six weeks and then off two or three weeks. They do not usually return, new people are assigned. I’ve heard also that Silversea is not able to pick and choose who they can hire. They are certainly trying to train the staff and have instructional and language sessions daily. It is a slow go! Perhaps after a year or so, the rotation of staff will provide enough training so the service will approach Silversea standards.

Meanwhile, all I can say to those planning to cruise on the Silver Galapagos is to go, enjoy the wonderful animals and adventures and realize that it is an expedition ship, not a luxury liner.

joek, Joanna and photogirl,

Thanks for the Chronicles and updates of the SG. What a shame that the trained staff don't return after their 6 weeks stint. Having to retrain staff must be a huge issue. I wonder why those trained choose not to return and if this issue is common throughout the boats in the islands?

I've heard that the government provides the list of applicants. The workers want to stay to work on the Silver Galapagos but I guess the government wants to give the jobs to more workers. This applies to every ship in the Galapagos.

Unfortunately, Silversea can't even bring in their own trained supervisors. They would never allow the lack of attention to the basics like dusting, vacuuming, washing windows.

Thanks, joek. It's just too bad that those employees already trained can't return. Knowing this does help those of us used to certain expectations be better prepared for the experience. This information should be made more widely known. At least those of us here have the information and can share with others when aboard the SG.

A Galapagos sunset from the SG.

http://www.pbase.com/dpf/image/156277526

My comment to those who are worried about the level of service on the SG - Stop Worrying and plan on enjoying a great adventure!!!

My experience with the Ecuadorian staff is that, despite all the restrictions of the government, they are hard working and do try to please. Just temper your expectations. Expect something like Business Class on a Singapore Airlines, not what you get in Suite Class. If you expect something akin to a personal assistant at your home, forget about it. If you expect someone who will work to provide you with what you have asked for, your expectations will be met.

An example of how well Silver Sea is can handle things - Because two of us did the same morning stop last week on our B2B, they're taking us by private car to somewhere else. that is unexpected service. Same was true in the afternoon a couple of days ago. Got to see Galapagos moonshine being made.

Had a barbeque last night. With music. As I said before, it's like RCCL met Silver Seas. Much more relaxed than what I have experienced on the non-expedition ships and very enjoyable.

Off I go again.

Liz

A Galapagos sunset from the SG.

http://www.pbase.com/dpf/image/156277526

My comment to those who are worried about the level of service on the SG - Stop Worrying and plan on enjoying a great adventure!!!

My experience with the Ecuadorian staff is that, despite all the restrictions of the government, they are hard working and do try to please. Just temper your expectations. Expect something like Business Class on a Singapore Airlines, not what you get in Suite Class. If you expect something akin to a personal assistant at your home, forget about it. If you expect someone who will work to provide you with what you have asked for, your expectations will be met.

An example of how well Silver Sea is can handle things - Because two of us did the same morning stop last week on our B2B, they're taking us by private car to somewhere else. that is unexpected service. Same was true in the afternoon a couple of days ago. Got to see Galapagos moonshine being made.

Had a barbeque last night. With music. As I said before, it's like RCCL met Silver Seas. Much more relaxed than what I have experienced on the non-expedition ships and very enjoyable.

Off I go again.

Liz

I agree about tempering expectations, but those who don't know that in advance are in for a big surprise based on advertising, etc. I was not looking for a personal assistant and would gladly get my own ice, were it available, like in a hotel, or even get a drink at self service bar, were it available. I agree the staff is very friendly and wants to provide you with what you want, but the problem is often translation and definitely, in our case, lack of follow through.

We did not worry, and had a great adventure that we will always treasure. The naturalists and zodiac personnel were outstanding, which were the most important personnel, as far as I am concerned. I have written a review, if it gets published, to hopely let others know what to expect so that they know in advance. But the vast majority of cruisers, I believe, do not read Cruise Critic.

Anyone who books an expedition cruise should be aware that standards will be different. Expedition cruises are destination focused and not ship focused. Those on Silversea may not be up to the standards of the other ships but they are still the best expedition ships.

Anyone who books an expedition cruise should be aware that standards will be different. Expedition cruises are destination focused and not ship focused. Those on Silversea may not be up to the standards of the other ships but they are still the best expedition ships.

I agree and we are thinking about Antartica in 2016, but I am concerned about my ability to tolerate the cold. However, it's making sure by being straightforward in advertising or explanation ahead of time to make sure everyone has that awareness going in to the booking process. I don't need a butler and we don't often book a suite with a butler, but Silversea should not advertise that each suite has a "butler", as the person is no where near a butler. Likewise, what is offered on the ship is not commenserate with luxury cruising. That's fine. As you said, it is an expediton. Just be up front about it.

Go to Antarctica, if you have the chance!!! It is not really very cold there during the season when cruises are offered. If at all possible, take an expedition cruise that includes the Falklands and the Shetland Islands. Don't get a balcony, get a mid-ship outside on a lower or middle deck, if you can.

I did an unbelievable three week cruise on the Corinthian through Cruise West a couple of years ago. Like the Explorer, it was an all suite ship and an all inclusive cruise. For me, one of the highlights of the cruise was something that nearly everyone else fears. We had a major storm on the trip from Ushuaia to Port Stanley. High winds, 30+ foot seas. Other ships, like the Celebrity Infinity fled back to harbor. Our little 100 passenger boat went on. They tied safety ropes throughout the interior of the ship. No one was allowed on deck. All the furniture was bolted or tied to the floor. People got dumped out of bed at night. I didn't because I was a single in the middle of a Queen bed. Only three of us had no seasickness problem. We tied ourselves to the bar stools, held tigttly to our drinks and enjoyed the ride. I have pictures of the waves over the decks and up to the bridge. A number of people did get injured, but nothing too serious.

At the table, you had to watch your plate. Things slid around so much you could have someone else's food in front of you, as your meal headed off to the next person. What a ball.

The captain even stopped so we could set foot on the actual Antarctica land mass, something that is not normally done. We also made a sort of illegal trip around Cape Horn, watching for Chilean patrol boats.

The penguins, icebergs and scenery are amazing. The stop at Palmer Station was also great. I now have some souveniers you can't get anywhere else in the world.

Now I want to head back to Antarctica.

Oh well, still here in the warm, humid Galapagos.

Off to see a bunch of Albatross.

Liz

On Explorer, which the expedition ship that goes to the Antarctic, you will have a proper butler. Both times we have been on this ship, our butler has been great. They were eager to help with any request and actually wanting us to ask them to do things. We had cocktails and canapés in the late afternoon many times, including several where they just showed up without being requested.

Thanks RachelG and Photogirl for your comments. I have loved penguins since I was a child and always wanted to go to Antarctica. Did the "wrong" Galapagos Islands for penguins but became very fond of watching all of the creatures we met.

Thank you Joek for the detailed description of your trip. I especially enjoyed reading the daily schedules. We will be on the northern itinerary this August and I found your posts extremely helpful for my planning. Will you be posting the second half of your trip?

Here are a few things about my wonderful two weeks on Silver Galapagos, in no particular order:

- All of the staff must be from Ecuador. First priority is citizens born in the Galapagos, second are naturalized Galapagos citizens, third are citizens born in Ecuador and then naturalized Ecuadorians. The only non-Ecuadorian on my cruise was the lecturer.

- We had a different chef for each of my two weeks. The food the first week was faultless. The second week, there were a couple of misses, but it was still very good.

- Guides contract individually with the cruise companies. Many are on for a week and then off for a week. Some move from boat to boat.

- I had three different butlers over my two week cruise. They ranged from good to great. It seemed like half the crew left after my first week and new bunch got on. I was told this was a normal occurrence. Even the photographer changed.

- The air conditioning was weak when I entered my cabin, but engineering got into the ceiling at my request and it was great from then on.

- If you like lobster, seafood and cerviche, this is the trip for you. The filet mignon I had was also excellent.

- I was told Silversea is planning on tearing out the paneling at the next major dry dock and replacing it with "basic beige". Staff thinks this is not the thing to do. I agree that it will change the ship for the worse. The wood paneling is nice.

- Maintenance on the ship is excellent. Crew was doing continuous painting to make sure every rust spot was redone.

- Only 35 passenger one week and 60 passengers the next. At the prior Silversea passenger get together, there were only two of us.

- This is NOT a cruise for the elderly. Almost every passenger was under 50 and many of them struggled. The ones in their 80's could not do the hikes and ended up staying on board. One lady was injured due to a fall when she tried to hike.

- There are NO real paths on the hikes. There are just black and white marker sticks, meant to keep you away from breeding areas, etc. Plan on walking on lava, stones and rocks.

- Hikes move at a fast pace. Staff would like to start a series of slower hikes for photographers, but they don't think Silversea will go for it. Too bad.

- Was told by one guide to be very careful near one cliff, that six tourists had fallen off during the time he has been a guide.

_ Unlike other expedition ships I have been on, there is no lower stern deck to board the Zodiacs. You have to go down the metal gangway, lowered from the side, to the sea level to board. This was a problem for the elderly. The doctor stood at the top of the gangway at every Zodiac boarding. I wonder why?

- The crew is not as good as what I found in Antarctica in assisting people to board the Zodiacs. One person fell in my lap while trying to step into the Zodiac. At one rough sea Zodiac landing, they forgot to have anyone but the Zodiac driver in the boat. With driver at the motor, there was no one to assist getting out, so people jumped out and some fell. At one boarding the crew member told me to jump, just at the time the Zodiac dropped five feet into a wave trough. Fortunately, I was experienced enough to time my jump when I decide it was best.

- Take bug spray and stay covered up or you will get bitten and burned.

- The Chilean wines are quite good. Don't stick your nose up at them!

- They crew does remember your name quickly and what your preferences are. By my second day, my pre-dinner drink was always at my table without asking. I also only drink bottled water and they made sure to provide it at evey turn.

- The crew is still a little non-Silversea. Found towel animals in my cabin! At one party there was a rousing rendition of YMCA by the staff! The rest of the music wasn't far from that. I found it a lot of fun, but was told that Silversea frowns on this type of frivolity and that, sooner or later, they would have to stop doing this. Is the Silversea target passenger really that stodgy? A shame, in my mind.

- Know that dinner is usually late because of all the hikes and then the evening lecture.

- The gym is surprisingly large and almost totally unused by the exhausted passengers.

- Hot Rocks, like it or not, is not up to the standards I found on other Silversea ships

- The bartenders were not very good with "fancy" cocktails. Stick with the basics.

- I saw most of the other boats that provide expedition trips in these waters. Quite simply, despite any minor issues one may have, there is no other boat that I would rather be on than the SG.

The floor is now open for questions. Pictures will be available later.

Liz

Wow Liz, what a wonderful review. You answered many things that I was wondering about. I look forward to the pictures. Thank you for the post.

Question: How did guests dress for dinner? I am not sure about what to pack for meals?

- This is NOT a cruise for the elderly. Almost every passenger was under 50 and many of them struggled. The ones in their 80's could not do the hikes and ended up staying on board. One lady was injured due to a fall when she tried to hike.

- Hikes move at a fast pace. Staff would like to start a series of slower hikes for photographers, but they don't think Silversea will go for it. Too bad.

_ Unlike other expedition ships I have been on, there is no lower stern deck to board the Zodiacs. You have to go down the metal gangway, lowered from the side, to the sea level to board. This was a problem for the elderly. The doctor stood at the top of the gangway at every Zodiac boarding. I wonder why?

- The crew is not as good as what I found in Antarctica in assisting people to board the Zodiacs. One person fell in my lap while trying to step into the Zodiac. At one rough sea Zodiac landing, they forgot to have anyone but the Zodiac driver in the boat. With driver at the motor, there was no one to assist getting out, so people jumped out and some fell. At one boarding the crew member told me to jump, just at the time the Zodiac dropped five feet into a wave trough. Fortunately, I was experienced enough to time my jump when I decide it was best.

Liz

I find these items a little disconcerting. While not elderly, I'm definitely over 50, and not as agile as I once was. I'm not terribly concerned about the walking over lava--done that on Hawaii on multiple occasions, and figure that as long as no one is trying to speed walk, it shouldn't be an issue. But the getting on and off the zodiacs has concerned me from the outset, as I still don't have my confidence back after surgery last year. But I figured that, with help from the crew, I should be OK. But if the crew isn't there or isn't helpful for other than the young and fit, this could be an issue. I'm going on this trip next month, and most decidedly do not want to spend my time on the ship.

Dinner clothing was mostly summer casual dresses. You could tell most everyone took the "pack light" recommendation to heart. One woman wore the same outfit every evening.

As usual, my suitcase was OK for business class, but overweight for the flights to and from Baltra. However, Silversea picks up your luggage at the hotel the night of your departure and you don't see it till you board. It is just like the last night on a cruise. Put your bags outside your door and off it goes. I doubt this batch of luggage gets weighed, so no overweight charges. However, I was told to not put my Pelican camera case out, due to the value of the equipment. But, even that was carried on the flights without a problem, due in part to the assistance of the local Silversea representative.

Evening clothing is not the problem. Day wear can be. Men will sweat and ladies will perspire on the hikes - a lot. Make sure you can easily wash whatever you wear during the day, Things dry a little slower in the humidity, too.

It wasn't my intent to scare anyone about boarding the Zodiacs or the rocky surfaces you will be hiking on. Just calling it as I saw it during my particular two weeks. Remember, boarding a Zodiac is not like boarding a tender. Since there are no sides, you have nothing to hold on to when you move from the platform to the boat or from the boat to the surf at the beach. The crew members are what you hold on to. They are there when getting off the ship. In my opinion, they just didn't do as good a job as the crewmembers who were on my Antarctic cruise. I just didn't feel as confident getting into the Zodiacs, even though I did it all without incident. My recommendation is, if there is no crew member to offer a hand, ask the person who got off before you to give you a hand.

Again, this expedition voyage is truly a great experience. The SG is definitely the best choice in the Galapagos. Just don't go there thinking this is a "cruise".

Liz

Esther and I were on the cruise just before photogirl, the North-Central islands. I'm 90, Esther 88 and we did not go on the longer hikes that were rocky and/or hilly terrain. We were fine with both the dry and wet landings, and there were always crew or guides helping us get in and out of the zodiaks. It was tricky with the swells, but as Liz said, take your time and wait for someone to give you the firm wrist to wrist hold.

joek