Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Further revenue optimisation occurs from the design of the Haven complex: the “ship-within-a-ship”, with its own private courtyard, swimming pool and restaurant. Whilst attempting to pack in as many suites as possible the designers of the Epic made a serious design faux pas. In effect, the natural raked lines of the superstructure, rising from the forecastle to the Garden Café on Deck 15, then become interrupted. The placement on top there of this overly angular two-storey box-like structure, sitting as it does at an obtusely perpendicular angle to the deck below, draws the eye away from the natural flow of the ships lines and directly to this unsightly protuberance.

Hence when the Epic was first launched, its profile was controversial and she was regarded by many as one of the most ugly ships of the modern cruising era. An attempt has since been made to disguise just how much of an eyesore this “top hat” is, by painting part of it so that the eye is tempted to follow the ship’s natural angled-upward line, but it doesn’t really work very well. Still, I suppose it can be argued that this visual aspect of the ship does not impact passengers greatly as it can only be seen when ashore…

The forward half of the exterior of the Haven has been painted dark blue since Epic entered service. It's not a later addition.

However, here's a fun fact. The large windbreak behind the mast was not present when the ship was delivered. However, it wasn't long before NCL noticed how often the Courtyard (now Haven) became a wind tunnel, and the current sun-blocking structure was installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The forward half of the exterior of the Haven has been painted dark blue since Epic entered service. It's not a later addition.

Thanks for pointing this out. Shows you the danger of relying on a distant memory. I did not realise that the painting of the Haven block took place prior to entering service.

megacruiser

Here is the original profile I remembered from years ago

EpicProfileOriginal-1_zps144cab1c.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out. Shows you the danger of relying on a distant memory. I did not realise that the painting of the Haven block took place prior to entering service.

megacruiser

Here is the original profile I remembered from years ago

EpicProfileOriginal-1_zps144cab1c.jpg

I had the pleasure of sailing onboard in 2010 when the ship was only several months old. Coincidentally, we were in a 2-bedroom villa located right where the dark blue portion ended. I remember thinking it was a shame that NCL tried to hide away the ship's natural form through visual trickery. Many don't find Epic to be very attractive, but I personally enjoy the bold, intimidating look that it projects. Contrary to your earlier anecdote, Epic has a fairly large, elongated bow compared to its contemporaries. Overall, Epic is different and unique, which, for better or worse, says a lot in an industry that relies upon using the same platforms over and over again to reduce design costs. Combined with the ships unique build chaos, Epic is definitely one for the history books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Mega! Looking forward to the rest of the review. It has been awhile since we have sailed NCL and I miss it. Our first cruise was on the Norway in 1998. It will forever be our favorite ship.

Nice to hear from you again. You were booked for the Oasis weren't you? Fantastic ship. Thanks for following.

Regards

megacruiser

Nice to hear from you again. You were booked for the Oasis weren't you? Fantastic ship. Thanks for following.

Regards

megacruiser

Good memory! We were but had to cancel and will look for something toward the end of Feb. 2015. I followed your link from the Oasis review to here. We love Free Style cruising but haven't been on NCL for awhile.

Have sorted and edited photos. Had a renaming fiasco (still learning), so have to rename them now individually. Written draft done but needs to be reread and refined. Too tired now, can't focus. Sorry it will be tomorrow.

Regards

megacsruiser