Alaska Earthquake 8.0

waltd

Reported that there was an 8.0 earthquake in Alaska which has triggered a tsunami warning . What ships are sailing there now and will be interesting to see how or will it change the cruises.

An 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck at 1:53 p.m. in Alaska, prompting a tsunami warning for the U.S. Pacific coast. A preliminary report indicated the quake was a 7.1 magnitude. That was revised minutes later to 8.0 by the U.S. Geological Survey.

The NWS reported that water was leaving the harbor of the city of Adak, Alaska, at 3:23 p.m. The Adak city manager confirmed to ABC News that water in the harbor was receding and people in that area were heading for higher ground.

The earthquake struck 244 miles southeast of Attu Station in Alaska, about 15 miles off Little Sitkin Island.

The earthquake occurred at a depth of 71.1 miles, according to the USGS.

Additional information:

A magnitude-8.0 earthquake off the western end of Alaska's Aleutian Islands shortly before 1 p.m. Monday triggered a tsunami warning in the area, which was downgraded to a tsunami advisory a couple of hours later, according to the National Tsunami Warning Center.

"The depth of this earthquake will limit the extent of tsunami danger," the updated tsunami warning said.

OK. that earthquake was located in the open ocean closer to Russia than to Anchorage and the southeast. It is about 1300 miles from Anchorage and 1800 from Juneau. The tsunami may or may not be bad.but the earthquake was to far away from anything to do any real damage.

OK. that earthquake was located in the open ocean closer to Russia than to Anchorage and the southeast. It is about 1300 miles from Anchorage and 1800 from Juneau. The tsunami may or may not be bad.but the earthquake was to far away from anything to do any real damage.

So I'm assuming then there was no movement in Anchorage? Now you know it was a big deal down here in Los Angeles. :)

So I'm assuming then there was no movement in Anchorage? Now you know it was a big deal down here in Los Angeles. :)

If that would've happened in our area it would've been a huge deal. I hope there are no injuries. We had a five-point something quake a few months ago while I was at bed, bath and beyond. There were products falling off the shelves all around me. I cannot imagine a quake of that magnitude.

I'm glad we didn't have a Tsunami!!!

OK..I had to go to google. I was amazed at 71.1 miles, it looks like I have grossly misinterpreted what that sentence meant. According to the National Oceanic website, the deepest spot in any ocean is near Guam and nowhere near 71 miles deep! LOL. I am gullible :)

In 1960 the Bathyscaphe Trieste descended to the bottom of the Mariana Trench near Guam, at 35,798 feet or 6.77 miles (10,911 meters), the deepest spot in any ocean.

OK..I had to go to google. I was amazed at 71.1 miles, it looks like I have grossly misinterpreted what that sentence meant. According to the National Oceanic website, the deepest spot in any ocean is near Guam and nowhere near 71 miles deep! LOL. I am gullible :)

In 1960 the Bathyscaphe Trieste descended to the bottom of the Mariana Trench near Guam, at 35,798 feet or 6.77 miles (10,911 meters), the deepest spot in any ocean.

Not gullible, just not up on the terminology… The epicenter is the location of the quake in 3 dimensions, latitude, longitude, depth. The hypocenter is the lat/long location at the surface above the epicenter.

Generally, the shallower the quake, the greater effects on us. This one was moderately deep…

Jim

Just returned from the Island Princess on Wed. If not for my friends who posted on my facebook page "are you OK?, there was a bad earthquake in Alaska" - I would not have know about it. We felt nothing and heard nothing on the news/tv either...

Thanks very much! Please do keep us updated if the situation changes.

LuLu

We were on a cruise ship in the pacific when Japan was hit and the tsunami warning caused our ship to stay out to sea as it was safer than trying to hit land. We were heading to their on the last day and did not get to port till 3 pm the next day. So they do take all safety into consideration.