Traveling with elderly parents

Jackytar

Now that Herself and I have completed our first crossing (on QM2), I've been thinking about our next voyage. We had already floated the notion (pardon the expression) of traveling on a cruise with my parents, who are in their mid-to-late seventies. The kicker is that they each have long-term medical conditions - stable and managable, but factors that need to be considered. We ourselves are in our fifties, so while we're healthy, neither of us is in the first bloom of youth any longer.

Any folks with experience to share of traveling with elderly parents - or of being those parents, traveling with your middle-aged children? (Cuts both ways, after all :) )

I should mention we're looking at a Hawai'ian cruise; Princess and Holland America both have cruises sailing from Vancouver, BC to Hawai'i and back. Mum might be interested in an Alaska cruise, but Dad said he's been to CFS Alert once and doesn't need to get any closer to Alaska, thank you very much. :)

Thanks for tips, comments and input.

what ever you do, find out from their doctors if they are healthy enough to travel at the time you make the initial deposit, and then PURCHASE travel/cancel insurance! As long as the doctors says they are healthy enough at that time, any pre existing conditions should be covered. I always check that before I make deposits.

We've been fortunate to be able to take our parents along on a few cruises now (overseas, Alaska, Panama Canal and also Hawaii), and will treat to them to a b2b in Alaska to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary next May/June - a few months late but the "kids" will also be able to join us then as the semester for no. 1 son's grad school will have concluded. The upcoming b2b should create great memories for all of us.

My parents will be over 80 when we sail this time, and although they appear to be in great shape we are well aware of their frailties. So, we will provide serious guidance this time concerning the choice of shore excursions. We've become more and more conservative concerning the degree of physical activity and the duration of excursions for them over the years.

I cannot tell from your post if you will need to fly anywhere to catch the ship or not - we will, and have convinced Dad a wheelchair in the airport saves him from further aggravating existing issues, allowing him to enjoy the 'good stuff' more. I urge you to have your parent's take advantage of appropriate assistance where possible to spare them for the things they really will enjoy. That even means a car service to the pier sometimes - whatever reduces wear and tear on them.

Further, depending upon the extent of the medical issues, you might find it appropriate to notify the medical department of Princess ahead of time - hopefully that is not the case for you.

If they have mobility issues, consider cabin location in terms of convenience. Also consider the length/intensity of each days activity plan, in terms of sea day or shore day, and the excursions. Pace yourselves...

We have always done anytime dining, as it gives us much greater flexibility, but we/they don't have any serious health/dietary issues that would require the coordination of a head waiter for meals. If they do, do everything you can to mealtimes simpler.

One thing we always do is carry an ample supply of prescription meds, as well as an "emergency" med supply. Our primary care makes sure we have a broad-spectrum antibiotic, and from time to time we review the OTC list that we should be taking along. If necessary, double check for Mom and Dad about the meds. Also, we just got our every 10 year tetanus shot again. I reminded mom and dad they were also due.

Without knowing more detail about their limitations, I cannot offer much more except to think about how they are limited and do everything you can to smooth the way, and then just enjoy the time with them and cherish the good fortune to be able to build such wonderful memories!

T have traveled with my former mother in law. Wonderful lady. Best way to travel with an elder. Few worries of them getting list on the ship and food everywhere if they don't want to go ashore.

As for Hawaii...that's a lot of water between land. The Hawaiian Islands are the most isolated area in the world. Coast Guard helicopters and C-19 have limited range for an emergency airlift. If I were you, I would do a California Coastal or (can't believe I am recommending this), fly to Hawaii and do an NCL cruise. Best itinerary, I don't care for the cruise line.

Displaced local girl

Im in my mid 70s and the only suggestion I would have is to carefully pick excursions. Even though I can walk a mile or so with no issues, it is most probably at a slower rate than most 50 year olds. Not being easily able to keep up with a group could be stressful. Id say pick the cruise that you want and just do it.

We have taken several multi-generational cruises and they are fantastic! DH and I are the "middle" generation, while the youngest are now teens and the oldest in their 80s. A few things work well for us -

-cabins near elevators. I prefer to walk, but it's nice to have the elevator nearby.

-a separate cabin for grandma, so that she can rest whenever she wishes without being disturbed by any other family members.

-expectation that everyone will have dinner together and do most excursions together, but that it is okay to do some things separately. For example, the teens may want to parasail (or whatever), while I may choose to line dance, etc.

-take private tours and cars when possible to minimize the "wear and tear" on all of us.

-buy 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

We love this type of family vacation because everyone has fun! I hope that it works for you

As the elderly pair in our family group, and with limitations too, I would recommend any cruise they are comfortable with. We ask that the family join us for dinner, and in general not come by to see us before 10 a.m without calling or making arrangements previously. During the day they are on their own, and we may see them or not. We have been fortunate to cruise enough so that we have seen most of the ports available from SF, so we don't always go ashore.

On the other hand, when we cruised with my parents for their 70th anniversary, a different person was assigned to be with my mother each day as she had dementia. It doesn't sound like that is your problem.

Why was this moved off the Princess boards?

I'm kind of curious myself. My initial post did not say my parents are disabled; I said they're elderly and have some conditions that would be factors to consider. Perhaps the CC mods consider advancing years to be a disability now?

Thank you, everyone, for your input so far. To address a couple of points - no, air travel to/from Vancouver wouldn't be required (we all live on Vancouver Island, with easy ferry access to the mainland).

The points about excursions are well-taken; my wife and I aren't much for package tours so we'd probably just go poking about on our own. However, Mum & Dad might prefer excursions, so definitely something to discuss with them.

Likewise the comment about elevators, too; I think I'd ask them what onboard activities they might want to be close to, as well, and try to book cabins close to the best-positioned elevators for those activities.

Once the four of us have figured out at least approximately, I'll gently hint that they should see their GP about being cleared medically. Rather, I'll discuss it with Mum and leave it to her to rope Dad in. :)

Wow! I'm feeling so old. There are 70 year old's and then there's 70 year old's. Some folks are vibrant, alive and very well at 70-80 and some are very old. Some need a lot of assistance and some get around better than most 50 year old's.

You know your folks and how much they can take at any given time. I like when my kids allow for MY schedule. I like to meet them for an activity during the day, as well as dinner. Make a plan. I like to have time to sit and people watch, have a cup of tea, read a book, play bingo, watch the line dancing, play some trivia, listen to a lecture or take a nap. I love to dress for dinner and meet-up with the family to hear what their day was like and what adventures they've been on to share with all of us.

Don't forget to plan for some family pictures by the photographers onboard and allow time for walking around the shops and sitting outside on the Promenade Deck together. We love going to the Sundae's Ice Cream stand and sitting and enjoying a cone or two together. The Afternoon Tea is a special time to enjoy each other's company, as well.

With good planning and allowing for each other's "own" time, cruising can be the most family fun.

Now that Herself and I have completed our first crossing (on QM2), I've been thinking about our next voyage. We had already floated the notion (pardon the expression) of traveling on a cruise with my parents, who are in their mid-to-late seventies. The kicker is that they each have long-term medical conditions - stable and managable, but factors that need to be considered. We ourselves are in our fifties, so while we're healthy, neither of us is in the first bloom of youth any longer.

Any folks with experience to share of traveling with elderly parents - or of being those parents, traveling with your middle-aged children? (Cuts both ways, after all :) )

I should mention we're looking at a Hawai'ian cruise; Princess and Holland America both have cruises sailing from Vancouver, BC to Hawai'i and back. Mum might be interested in an Alaska cruise, but Dad said he's been to CFS Alert once and doesn't need to get any closer to Alaska, thank you very much. :)

Thanks for tips, comments and input.

Great you accept that as time goes by our bodies do change and we "ain't what we use to be" ... but it's still possible to have a great time cruising.

Since your dad does not want to go to Alaska, would Hawaii be the better choice for all concerned?

LuLu

I tend to look at the medical aspect of a HA cruise. As said previously, lot of water between ports. Ship has a DR, but is not a hospital and any serious health problem requires evacuation .Make sure extensive insurance is obtained. And not from cruise line. Others can help with that. I did one cruise with my elderly parents. It took a cruise spending 24 hrs, a day to acknowledge both were in bad shape.