Crown Princess 28 days Hawaii/Tahiti Oct 2015

Hflors

I am looking at the Crown Princess 28 days Hawaii/Tahiti for 2015. I notice that there are 8 consecutive sea days after leaving Papeeete. Are there any activities onboard the ship to keep everyone busy? If you did this cruise did those sea days go by quickly? Did Princess show any (american) football games? What kind of Movies did Princess show on the big screen? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Helen

I am looking at the Crown Princess 28 days Hawaii/Tahiti for 2015. I notice that there are 8 consecutive sea days after leaving Papeeete. Are there any activities onboard the ship to keep everyone busy? If you did this cruise did those sea days go by quickly? Did Princess show any (american) football games? What kind of Movies did Princess show on the big screen? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Helen

We were on that cruise on the Sapphire in 2011. They have lectures in the theater in the mornings, trivia in different areas in the morning as well, and of course bingo going on. You may have to entertain yourselves during the mid afternoon. Then alot of trivia in the early evening as well. They show alot of older concerts during the day on MUTS, and some decent movies at night. There are days that there is little satallite reception, so news and football would be limited.

They did show playoff games on the Ruby in the Carribean in January. If that helps any.

We on this cruise on the Sapphire a couple of years ago. Basically it was a very good cruise until about the 6th sea day coming to LA from Tahiti. Normally we enjoy sea days but this got a bit long. This was the only cruise I want to get off when the cruise ended.

We had no live TV entertainment from Tahiti to LA. We did have the taped shows. We were out of satellite communication. In other words we had a news black out that drove me crazy. I think I saw the Van Gogh documentary 10 times. They did have afternoon movies in the Theater. Usually we never bother attending but on this cruise we went a few times. They had some sort of murder mystery game. We did not bother with that. I don't recall any other special entertainment other than the normal games etc.

Before Tahiti they did have a crossing the equator party. That was fun. They had a Halloween party where the crew dressed up with a few of the passengers. That was OK. They had a lecturer on WWII. A lot of people liked him.

The best part of this cruise is the sailing into and out of the ports especially Bora Bora Tahiti and Moorea.

The demographics of the cruise was older than myself and I am old. i am talking way older. The oldest we met was 104. He was traveling with some men who looked after him. They were in their mid 80's. There was not a lot of "action" after about 10:00. Skywalker's had no one up there the entire cruise. (I guess "older people" aren't too much into rap and hip hop.)

I don't know if things have changed since we went on this cruise. However. even with all those sea days this was one of our top cruises because of the ports.

My advice is to bring your own entertainment for the 8 sea days.

I am actually booked on this cruise and just off of the Northern Europe TA which had plenty of sea days. I am usually not a fan of sea days and truthfully, I said I wouldn't do that many ever again but here I am booked on this one.

I love my port days and although I was never bored, I played trivia, got caught up on my reading, went to lectures and most of the entertainment on board, but I did find that I was sitting.... a lot. I am usually a walker and active at home but because of the weather we were forced indoors more than usual. I can't say I was bored but I was feeling sluggish. Going down to the atrium to watch the entertainment or play on my Ipad usually involved getting a tea and 'treat' as well so this was the first cruise that I ever actually gained a few pounds on. However, having said all that I expect this cruise to be different. The weather should be much better, and the Crown is better laid out than the Royal, which we were on. I am going to give it another go but I will be better prepared for those sea days. It sounds like an amazing cruise and these sea days are scattered throughout whereas the TA crossing was one after another.

We are also booked on this cruise next year.

Part of the answer will depend on the quality of the lecturers. I am sure we have all seen some wonderful ones, but we have also suffered thru some poor ones. After (I think) 18 sea days, a poor one will be hated.

Another part is the Cruise Director. Some are better than others in coming up with interesting events. We have had some that did a great job, but others not so good.

Even the CC Roll Call can help. I have not made it thru all the posts yet, but I have seen mention of a Meet & Greet early in the cruise, a luncheon and a gift exchange.

I am looking at the Crown Princess 28 days Hawaii/Tahiti for 2015. I notice that there are 8 consecutive sea days after leaving Papeeete. Are there any activities onboard the ship to keep everyone busy? If you did this cruise did those sea days go by quickly?

Thanks Helen

We on this cruise on the Sapphire a couple of years ago. Basically it was a very good cruise until about the 6th sea day coming to LA from Tahiti. Normally we enjoy sea days but this got a bit long. This was the only cruise I want to get off when the cruise ended.

We had no live TV entertainment from Tahiti to LA. We did have the taped shows. We were out of satellite communication. In other words we had a news black out that drove me crazy.

(I guess "older people" aren't too much into rap and hip hop.)

My advice is to bring your own entertainment for the 8 sea days.

I don't WANT my sea days to "go quickly"! I want them to last.

I wouldn't be upset by a news blackout at all!

I'm not really "older". (Actually some may think I am but I'm only 61.) I despise rap and hip hop. It's not just the very old who find it horrible. My wife and I were bummed that Skywalker's was pretty much off limits to us in the evenings when we cruised to Hawaii because it was usually blasting stuff that I simply don't classify as music.

We haven't done this cruise, but did a TA in 2013 that had 8 sea days. We enjoyed them -- it is a great time to have couple time with your significant other.

We also visited the fitness center each morning while at sea (and not once when we hit the ports) and we read a lot. The Lotus Spa hot tubs are very nice even when the weather is chilly, too. We were never bored. I think it depends mainly on the individual and how much outside entertainment is required.

By the way, Skywalkers is a great place to go during the day for wonderful views, to chat with new friends, play cards or games, and to read. But take a sweater, as it was usually chilly up there during the day.

Edited by GloriaF

When we booked part of it was because of the Sea Days! ;)

What a wonderful thought! No negative commentary and no blasted political advertisements! :mad:

I'm not really "older". (Actually some may think I am but I'm only 61.) I despise rap and hip hop. It's not just the very old who find it horrible. My wife and I were bummed that Skywalker's was pretty much off limits to us in the evenings when we cruised to Hawaii because it was usually blasting stuff that I simply don't classify as music.

Well as for age! The nice thing about being older & senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs! :eek:

Oh yeah, Sometimes my wife wakes up Grumpy; other times she lets me sleep.:D

Come on and join us for this Fantastic Cruise!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Thanks for everyones responses. I am more concerned for DH than myself. I love sea days and relaxing, but DH gets ansy! No tv or News would be a vacation in itself to me, but dh will go stir crazy if that were to happen. We took a similar cruise on HAL's Rotterdam in 2011 but we had two other couples with us at the time and even then dh was ready to leave after a couple of sea days.

I guess I will just bring my scrabble game, a deck of cards and a set of dominos and russle up a couple of games with dh.

We (I) am still trying to decide on this one. Anyway once again thanks for the responses.

Helen

We were on the Golden cruise in April. It was terrific but we found that the nine days at the end were too many. I crafted with CC ladies in the morning, played Mah Jong in the afternoon and then read. My husband was antsy and bingo was his main entertainment. After such a terrific cruise it was a bit of a let down to not have anything to look forward to. Karen

My husband and kids and their grandparents and I did this cruise in Oct/Nov and loved every sea day and were loathe to get off the ship. We are in our 30's, FWIW, and while we were on the younger side of the passenger demographic it was just a phenomenal itinerary and we do love our sea days. There was another passenger teaching hula, and I took daily Zumba, but we spent a lot of our time just hanging out, reading, going to MUTS, etc. It was great!

My only suggestion had been to the CD to show "South Pacific" on MUTS but he said due to licensing restrictions it wasn't possible. :(

I was just on the Sapphire last Oct/Nov doing this itinerary.

We loved it! I have to admit I am a sun person so my days were spent at the pool. We met a nice couple that we woud meet up with by the pool in time to watch the 1st movie at 10:00 AM. By the time that was over it was lunch time. There was another movie or a concert on Muts in the afternoon.

If you have cruised with Princess they are the same movies you may have seen. Dirty Dancing, Feris Beulers Day Off, etc. Nevertheless a lot of folks watched them.

I was concerned about DH as he is not as much as a sun lover as I. He made it fine. He was glad to see land after 8 days though.

It is amazing…we are used to the Caribbean where you see other cruise or tanker ships. Even land. Cruising from Tahiti we saw nothing for 8 days. Helps you understand how large the ocean really is and why they are not able to find the lost Malaysian aircraft.

There are the typical ice carvings and fruit and vegetable carvings coming back. I did think the CD could have been a bit more creative but it never really bothered me. I think he had been the CD for these sailings for many years and perhaps thinks his singing and dancing takes him beyond creativity.

I hope you take a chance and take this cruise. We enjoyed ours!

I have wanted to do this cruise for a few years and still haven't booked it. I did read a few negative reviews about the TV blackout and the demographics, etc. I still want to do this sometime. I was thinking I'd bring along a portable DVD player and some DVD's. I'm not sure if that will help. I am pretty good at entertaining myself with reading and crafts. The longest I've ever cruised is 15 days and I wonder myself if I'll like it. I guess I just need to try it!

We did the cruise on the Golden - April 2014. Had a great time. Most of the entertainment was excellant. The show band was super. The ukulele class was fun. I brought my own uke but Princess had 65 so nobody was turned away. Had a mid-ship balcony and just sucked up the good life! (big plus was no flights for us) Quacker Don

We did this cruise in April 2013, 9 ports, 18 total sea days, as you mention 8 at the end. If you like sea days you will enjoy this trip. For us the 8 days went by quickly, and didn't seem to be long enough. My only negative comment about this cruise has to do with the Cruise Director. He front loaded many of the activities as if he was on a 10 day cruise, and ran out of stuff later in the cruise, had to repeat and repeat. Poor planning on his part. Production shows and guest entertainers did not repeat.

We did the 28 day South Pacific on Sapphire. I was never bored, even on sea days and I am not a sit around person. Days had lots of activities but late evening could be a little dull. We had been to Tahiti and Hawaii before but still enjoyed the ports and the changes that had taken place. Samoa was a new port so filled those days with tours.

While not on Princess, we did HAL's version of this cruise on the Westerdam in '12 with 7 sea days back.

Those days are awesome IMO. They let you decompress reflect on all the wonders you've seen and charge up for life starting again once you get home.

Of course if you're not a sea day person, hit any and all activities.

We're going to have a great time on the Crown in '15... we got this.

Derek

• 2 months later...

My husband and I are booked on this cruise for Oct 18 2014...we love sea days also...anyone have any suggestions about the ports we are visiting...we have a couple of things booked ...but would love some suggestions regarding beaches etc...we both love to swim and enjoy the beach.

thanks to everyone for your input regarding this particular cruise.

We feel the same as you Thrak. We agree that the music played at Skywalkers is of the same kind that you speak of. On the Caribbean Princess during our August cruise, that is what they were playing the most of. We looked around & folks around our age or a little younger, which is around yours, were just sitting & watching the young people dance. Not the first time or ship this has happened. We think the disc jockey plays what they want to hear, not the passengers. At least mix it up some & have variety. That would be agreeable to most, IMO.