Bermuda - sniffer dogs and conduct warrantless searches without probable cause.

Shacky316

This reminds me that I am going on an NCL cruise in three months and the most negative thing about that is that I do not like NCL's smoking policy.

If someone is smoking weed on their balcony and that finds it way to my balcony, it will run DW and I off the balcony.

Another reason to avoid Colorado or Oregon.

Perhaps you meant Washington. Oregon is beautiful.

Don't let the "potheads" run you off your balcony !!! CALL SECURITY ! NCL does not condone pot smoking.

Their smoking rules and "weed" are two different animals !

Yep, this. I wouldn't complain about a cigarette smoker on the balcony next to me because they are engaged in a permissable activity.

My nanny cam will be recording who enters my cabin and what they are doing also. This survalence issue goes both ways. I don't plan on needing it however this news makes me nervous.

Brad

It's really no different than in any other port or staying in a hotel in another country (after all, you have no idea who has stayed in the cabin/room prior to you and what they may have left behind).

It's really no different than in any other port or staying in a hotel in another country (after all, you have no idea who has stayed in the cabin/room prior to you and what they may have left behind).

Good points. Perhaps my mind wondered when reading the article. Still though, I bought a $10 cheapo cam on amazon. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious, and at that price, may not even work. With 4000 passengers, odds are good that nobody will forget their stash or a rogue crewmember will hide anything in my cabin.

Brad

Correct. I usually wear a military type camouflage floppy hat for sun protection. Got stopped exiting the ship and had to return it to my room before going ashore.

A floppy hat that is not camo works just as well.

It is Bermuda. U.S. laws do not apply.

In fairness, it IS a money grab on their part but they make the rules.

True...however, they also allow folks to party till they pass out as long as you're drinking their rum. Certainly a double standard, particularly given how Marijuana is starting to become legal in the U.S.

That said, their country, their laws. And, concur that it is a money grab.

Boston to Bermuda should be interesting next summer with folks bringing prescription pot . :D

Biker, I don't believe that will matter to the Bermudians. It's their country and they really won't care that this person is allowed legal consumption of MJ in the Commonwealth of Massachuetts. What would be nice is if National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws published a full page ad in the New York Times explaining what is happening, and asking people to boycott Bermuda. If their tourism begins taking a hit because of what they are doing, perhaps they will wake up.

Edited by vince_g

Biker, I don't believe that will matter to the Bermudians. It's their country and they really won't care that this person is allowed legal consumption of MJ in the Commonwealth of Massachuetts. What would be nice is if National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws published a full page ad in the New York Times explaining what is happening, and asking people to boycott Bermuda. If their tourism begins taking a hit because of what they are doing, perhaps they will wake up.

I doubt that the boycott would result in enough of a decline in tourists to be noticed. Even if it did I am sure that the Bermudians are perfectly fine with tourists who bring contraband into their country staying away.

It's not like this just began this year. Every year it is posted here on CC that if you do drugs, leave them at home if you choose to cruise or vacation in Bermuda. Every year some missed/will miss their ships because they have to attend court because they got busted. Bermuda is discussing legalizing it just as some US States are, but until they do - go somewhere else if you can't go a week without it.

True...however, they also allow folks to party till they pass out as long as you're drinking their rum. Certainly a double standard, particularly given how Marijuana is starting to become legal in the U.S.

What is legal in the US is 100% irrelevant to this discussion.

I mean, I'm a daily marijuana user from Colorado, and I would NEVER consider bringing weed onto even an airplane, much less into a foreign country.

With the chances of getting arrested at the airport on drug smuggling charges, the chance of being arrested in a foreign country where i have no idea of my rights, and the chance of a large fine, I can't imagine a scenario in which it's worth it.

I think it is in Barbados where it is illegal to wear camouflage clothing.

Not just Barbados. There's a whole host of countries where it is illegal to wear camouflage, unless you're in the military/police there. St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and Trinidad & Tobago off the top of my head.

Certainly not legal in the U.S.! It is legal in some states, however, the U.S. government still arrests and prosecutes anyone they catch. Just try to go through U.S. Customs in Boston or any other state with some pot and find out!

Federal Agents still go after and prosecute dealers and sometimes users in the states that have legalized.

Hence the reason they still go through NCL (and all other cruise lines) ships in Miami with the dope dogs, when the dogs alert on any cabin, guest or employee, the go in, seize and arrest.

Yea right, Mexico holds hostage one of our Marines because he made a wrong turn and people are still traveling to Mexico. Boycott Bermuda because people get punished for breaking their rules and bringing it pot into their country ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And it could have the opposite effect, more people deciding to travel to Bermuda BECAUSE they enforce their drug laws.

And it could have the opposite effect, more people deciding to travel to Bermuda BECAUSE they enforce their drug laws.

Their drugs are a big fine and send you packing.

It's a money grab. If they didn't actually WANT people to bring stuff to the island....they would kill them on the spot.

Their drugs are a big fine and send you packing.

It's a money grab. If they didn't actually WANT people to bring stuff to the island....they would kill them on the spot.

Agree with Mugtech

"And it could have the opposite effect, more people deciding to travel to Bermuda BECAUSE they enforce their drug laws."

Luddite, not to many countries kill druggies or smugglers, except Iran and Nicaragua (which has very, very strict drug laws and executed drug smugglers, and is one of few Central American countries where the drug cartels leave alone).