From HAL today re Flu - NOT Noro

arzz

This is a new one to me - note this is not in reference to Norovirus but to respiratory illness - and no offer to let us out of our cruise contract - we received the following notification (a pdf from HAL) from our TA that was sent to her today from HAL to share with us.

To what end are they sharing this if there is no offer to cancel our booking?

Has anyone seen something like this before?

We are booked to sail the Amsterdam 7 day Alaska round trip Seattle on July 13.

Statement Date: Embark Date: Ship::

Jun 27, 2014 Jul 13, 2014 Amsterdam

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Voyage: From Port: To Port:

Ships' Registry: The Netherlands

Page 1 of 2

The Alaskan Public Health Service has notified us of higher than normal summer influenza activity in Alaska. They recommend taking the usual precautions against flu such as covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, washing hands often and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Also obtaining flu vaccination and early reporting of respiratory illness to a

health provider are encouraged. Certain persons are at higher risk of complications. Please visit the following webpage for more information: http://www.epi.alaska.gov/id/influenza/fluinfo.htm.

We recommend if you have any questions or concerns to contact your personal physician.

Edited by arzz

This is a new one to me - note this is not in reference to Norovirus but to respiratory illness - and no offer to let us out of our cruise contract - we received the following notification (a pdf from HAL) from our TA that was sent to her today from HAL to share with us.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Page 1 of 2

The Alaskan Public Health Service has notified us of higher than normal summer influenza activity in Alaska. They recommend taking the usual precautions against flu such as covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, washing hands often and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Also obtaining flu vaccination and early reporting of respiratory illness to a

health provider are encouraged. Certain persons are at higher risk of complications. Please visit the following webpage for more information: http://www.epi.alaska.gov/id/influenza/fluinfo.htm.

We recommend if you have any questions or concerns to contact your personal physician.

Wow. I suspect regulatory compliance caused them to send out this notice. DH and I have had flu shots, though they were last fall. Not sure they are even effective this late.

Thanks for advising us of the notice.

Has anyone seen something like this before?..........

Why wouldn't they forward that information along to the passengers? Many states do mass-notifications to various industries, (travel & tourism, business, production, etc) when it comes to health-related issues dependent upon what the issue is. It's been a longer than usual flu season for many states this year as well. HAL in turn is passing that notification along to their passengers.

Why would they offer to let you cancel your cruise? Would they let people cancel during the 'normal' peak times of flu season, (typically Dec-Fed)? No, they wouldn't, as it's nothing new, and occurs every year.

HAL is doing what they can do remind people not to be morons and to take charge as much as they can in their own health. And as they say, if you have questions, you should talk to your physician. :p

Wow, that is really interesting. I think what I have been seeing more of is respiratory illness, not flu. I would say if you had a flu shot last fall and your going on a cruise to Alaska any time this summer, its not going to be very effective.

Glad to see Hal is doing this, because if you are a person that could have higher risk of complications, you would need to be mindful of this situation.

Problem is that flu shots aren't even available in this area until Late August/ Early September. I have sent a note to my GP to see what he suggests.

DH has immune system issues, which makes this a concern to me.

Problem is that flu shots aren't even available in this area until Late August/ Early September. I have sent a note to my GP to see what he suggests.

DH has immune system issues, which makes this a concern to me.

Our Walgreens gives flu shots year round, I don't know if that would help.

Very interesting. I have never heard of people sent notifications for flu and upper respiratory infections.

We got our flu shots last September and guess who got sick within 3 weeks with the flu -- ME.

Our doctor does not get his allotment for flu shots until about the 2nd or 3rd week of September. Wouldn't b able to get them in time and have them into our system in time for a late September cruise.

Thanks Melodie! I will check with them, I checked our local Rite Aid and was told late August/early September.

**Notation - I am not a stalker, haha.** :p

You can give you local County Health & Human Services a call as well. If nothing else, they may be able to assist in one of the county wellness clinics. You can also go private/for profit as well. It looks like http://flushot.healthmap.org/ has two locations in your county that offer them. And here's teh info for the wellness clinics (Copy and Paste below):

Placer County holds regular clinics at two convenient locations in the county. A wide range of child and adult immunizations are available, including flu vaccines. Travel immunizations are available by appointment only.

Auburn

Medical Clinic, Auburn Annex

11584 B Avenue

Auburn, CA 95603

Phone: 530-889-7172

Hours of Operation: Immunizations are held on Fridays from 8:00am- 11:30am. No appointment necessary.

Travel Immunizations are by appointment only. Please call clinic to make an appointment.

Hours are subject to change, please call for schedule.

Tahoe area

Tahoe Area Medical Clinic

8665 Salmon Avenue

Kings Beach, CA 96143

Phone: 530-546-1970

Hours of Operation: Immunizations are held on Fridays from 8:00am- 11:30am AND 1:00pm- 3:30pm. No appointment necessary.

Travel Immunizations are by appointment only. Please call to make an appointment.

This takes you to the page with June 14 Flu testing activity. It is the top graph

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Labs/Pages/asvl.aspxh.

Apparently, from what I read, Alaska still has some facility outbreaks and people coming in on Cruises and land tours with Influenza. Call Walmart or Walgreens and see if you can get a vaccine if your PCP approves. Also, call your local pharmacist and ask how long the vaccine is good for. If you got it late fall, you may still be ok. I would still get one if I needed even if my cruise was only two weeks out. I am glad the Alaska PHD alerted cruise lines. Good use of tax dollars.

Their reporting of Influenza like illness (ILI) stopped in May and won't resume until October so PCPs are being requested to suspect Influenza as a possible diagnosis and not assume someone might just have a cold.

Anyone with a cough onboard who doesn't cover his or her mouth appropriately needs to walk the plank. :eek: Cough into your elbow~

And, wash your hands frequently with lots of soap and water for 20 seconds at the minimum.

**Notation - I am not a stalker, haha.** :p

You can give you local County Health & Human Services a call as well. If nothing else, they may be able to assist in one of the county wellness clinics. You can also go private/for profit as well. It looks like http://flushot.healthmap.org/ has two locations in your county that offer them. And here's teh info for the wellness clinics (Copy and Paste below):

Placer County holds regular clinics at two convenient locations in the county. A wide range of child and adult immunizations are available, including flu vaccines. Travel immunizations are available by appointment only.

Auburn

Medical Clinic, Auburn Annex

11584 B Avenue

Auburn, CA 95603

Phone: 530-889-7172

Hours of Operation: Immunizations are held on Fridays from 8:00am- 11:30am. No appointment necessary.

Travel Immunizations are by appointment only. Please call clinic to make an appointment.

Tahoe area

Tahoe Area Medical Clinic

8665 Salmon Avenue

Kings Beach, CA 96143

Phone: 530-546-1970

Hours of Operation: Immunizations are held on Fridays from 8:00am- 11:30am AND 1:00pm- 3:30pm. No appointment necessary.

Travel Immunizations are by appointment only. Please call to make an appointment.

Thank you for the *detailed* information. Will wait on feedback from our GP.

"higher than normal summer influenza activity in Alaska"

This does not "say" the flu is cruise ship related - although so many seasonal visitors "probably" are causing the higher than normal incidents. Personally I take it as a warning to remember to be healthfully careful in the Alaskan ports - the same as we should be on the ships.

If we go to WalMart or Giant Eagle local pharmacy -- we have to pay $35 each for the flu shots.

If we go to our family doctor -- covered by Medicare/Security Blue.

I think it is worth paying for flu shots if you are worried about getting the flu and have no other avenues because of the time of year. Most Dr don't have the new shots until around August/September, place like Walgreens, like I said in our are have them year round, but your right I you would have to pay for them.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Page 1 of 2

I'm going on the Coral Princess this summer to Alaska and got the same email last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be flu all over the world. It is not a ship thing - it a port thing. It is up to you whether or not you get your flu vaccinations - they have done the right thing and advised you. Be responsible for your own choices.

This takes you to the page with June 14 Flu testing activity. It is the top graph

Apparently, from what I read, Alaska still has some facility outbreaks and people coming in on Cruises and land tours with Influenza. Call Walmart or Walgreens and see if you can get a vaccine if your PCP approves. Also, call your local pharmacist and ask how long the vaccine is good for. If you got it late fall, you may still be ok. I would still get one if I needed even if my cruise was only two weeks out. I am glad the Alaska PHD alerted cruise lines. Good use of tax dollars.

Their reporting of Influenza like illness (ILI) stopped in May and won't resume until October so PCPs are being requested to suspect Influenza as a possible diagnosis and not assume someone might just have a cold.

Anyone with a cough onboard who doesn't cover his or her mouth appropriately needs to walk the plank. :eek: Cough into your elbow~

And, wash your hands frequently with lots of soap and water for 20 seconds at the minimum.

Who knows what strain of flu they are seeing?

If you got flu shot last fall, it could have been different strain and ineffective against whichever is currently active.

From the CDC:

"Why do I need a flu vaccine every year?

A flu vaccine is needed every season for two reasons. First, the body’s immune response from vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection. Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, the formulation of the flu vaccine is reviewed each year and sometimes updated to keep up with changing flu viruses. For the best protection, everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated annually."

So if you got a shot within the last year, it should still be effective for the flu viruses for which it was formulated. I can't remember how good the match was this year.

Trish

And dry your hands thoroughly........lots of people do not dry their hands.

Speaking from experience I walked off the Amsterdam last Sunday 6/22 and felt tired. We arrived in Chicago later that day and by 10pm I was getting the typical symptoms of the flu. We definitely took precautions with washing our hands as we were in a Code Red for the last half of the trip. We even took a daily dose of Berocca for extra Vitamin C.

Needless to say I am still under the weather with a horrible head cold after having the flu on Sunday night and into Monday. I wish much health to the future travelers to Alaska. Hopefully the influenza outbreak is localized and short lived.

I have to question the motives of this alert. I have an autoimmune disease that was caused by vaccines. I petitioned the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program and settled my case against the department of Health and Human Services in 2012. Needless to say, I don't get ANY vaccines.

I am traveling on an Alaskan Cruisetour on HAL in August - so now I can't cancel without penalty, my insurance won't cover a cancellation because I'm not sick, but am unable (and unwilling) to get a flu vaccine. Of course, if I do get the flu while traveling my insurance should cover it, hopefully.

After all I went through in my court case, I have become quite suspicious of the entire vaccine industry, and have to wonder if there is a motive behind this notification.

(I am a travel agent, and also received the same notification for clients who are traveling on other cruise lines to Alaska.)

...Anyone with a cough onboard who doesn't cover his or her mouth appropriately needs to walk the plank. :eek: Cough into your elbow~

Good point to cough into your elbow (or sleeve)! If you wash your hands when you are ill, then cough or sneeze into them after that, you are just reinfecting your hands and everything you touch after that.

Edited by Ryndam2002