Where do you book your cruises?

DW and I always use Royal Caribbean, easier that way. No hassels trying to get in touch with a TS. Besides you get the same price with RCI that you would with a TA. Any perk you get from a TA comes out of their pockets.

We have always found it cheaper going through our TA by up to several hundred dollars either through an OBC or cheaper cabins.

Even if the price was the same, my TA has offered perks that RCCL didn't that made it more valuable to book through the TA. Also, my TA notifies me when there is a price drop on something I've already booked, and if I'm interested he just rebooks the same cabin for me at the new, lower price.

He did this for me recently when the RCCL BOGOHO sale began, and was able to get a lower price on all three of my upcoming cruises. Though this particular sale is still on, this was during the first day of that sale when the prices were much lower than they are now.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

We have used a big box travel agent until recently. I got tired of paying our agents $25 fee for changes. Our most recent and 2 upcoming cruises we have booked directly through the cruise line. It's easier to make changes if there are price drops. Plus, the cruise line is open longer hours than the agency we were using.

Even if the price was the same, my TA has offered perks that RCCL didn't that made it more valuable to book through the TA. Also, my TA notifies me when there is a price drop on something I've already booked, and if I'm interested he just rebooks the same cabin for me at the new, lower price.

He did this for me recently when the RCCL BOGOHO sale began, and was able to get a lower price on all three of my upcoming cruises. Though this particular sale is still on, this was during the first day of that sale when the prices were much lower than they are now.

But you do have to have a good travel agent who stays on top of this. The TA I was with did not - I contacted him with the info when I saw the deals at the beginning of May - but he sat on the info for several days and by the time he called RCCL the price on our cruise had gone up drastically. I cancelled with that TA and I am now watching the pricing myself. I have been monitoring the price of the 2015 cruise we want to take and the price today is almost the same as the original price I reserved with the travel agent in March - but I am hoping to see a reduction after the BOGOHO "sale" ends.

But you do have to have a good travel agent who stays on top of this. The TA I was with did not - I contacted him with the info when I saw the deals at the beginning of May - but he sat on the info for several days and by the time he called RCCL the price on our cruise had gone up drastically. I cancelled with that TA and I am now watching the pricing myself. I have been monitoring the price of the 2015 cruise we want to take and the price today is almost the same as the original price I reserved with the travel agent in March - but I am hoping to see a reduction after the BOGOHO "sale" ends.

Yes, definitely agree. I've booked both ways, through the cruise line's site and through TA's. When I booked through the line, it was me who had to check often to stay on top of any price drops, as the line would certainly not alert me to them. With a good TA, there is no need to have to monitor it that closely, and as mentioned by a few others, there are often added perks that the line will not offer.

how long do you have to transfer it after you book with RCI?

Bill

You have 60 days after booking a specific cruise, or 60 days after first assigning a cruise to an open booking. Also, the cruise must not have been paid in full, even if it's before final payment date.

We have friends that we've done several longer cruises (14 day min.) with. They are older (god bless them) and they are afraid of technology, so they book through a brick and mortar travel agency. We book all our cruises, through our preferred online travel agency. They think it's great to get a bottle of wine, or $100 obc. We normally get prepaid gratuities, a minimum of $200 obc, and dinner for two in a specialty restaraunt. We book the same category as they do. Four of the last five cruises we went on, we had money left over in our account that was credited back to our credit card.

As they offer nothing extra, booking through the cruise line will never happen with us. We get price reductions and change rooms via e-mail. I have no questions that require an immediate response.

You have 60 days after booking a specific cruise, or 60 days after first assigning a cruise to an open booking. Also, the cruise must not have been paid in full, even if it's before final payment date.

Thanks Bob. I am at the 30 day mark tomorrow.

I better get in gear and see what is out there.

Bill

Thanks Bob. I am at the 30 day mark tomorrow.

I better get in gear and see what is out there.

Bill

allow a day or so, there is a form that you need to fax to them to transfer and it takes a day or two to process. Not hard but required.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/rci_transfer_form_august2013.pdf

We book directly with RCCL. I know we could get some OBC, dining, etc with a TA but we just aren't interested in dealing with TA's for what is a relatively small $$ benefit compared to the overall cost of a vacation. Not to mention there are plenty of horror stories here about TA involvement, and RCCL has always been GREAT to deal with direct.

We want to be able to call RCCL and talk to them on changes etc. To each his own. For those who love the TA benefits, go for it!:)