Eastern vs Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas

So, we will be cruising on the freedom of the seas on either june 7 or june 14 2015. The itinerary for the June 7 is western (Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel). June 14 itinerary is eastern (Cococay, St.Thomas, St.Martin). Which do you think is better?

Also, my family of 4 would prefer an owners suite but they are sold out for the eastern so we would have to book an grand suite and we could get an owners on western. Owners on western is $8,200 and grand suite is $7,600 on eastern. Also, connecting balconies? Any thoughts? Is there really much of a difference between grand and owners?

Big decision.

I have been to both many times. Great ports on both. Its just on the western I really dislike Jamaica,although I love Grand Cayman so this is your personal choice,

I have two Grand suite reserved on The freedom May 31. We are putting 3 in the cabin.

Again I love all these ports too.

Would love a owners suite but a little out of my budget. With both Grand suite and Owners you get concierge lounge/service. That is very nice.

So study the ports and shore excursions that should help make your decision. You can't go wrong.

By the way Im not sure of the sleeping arrangements in a Owners suite but the GS only has one king bed and a sofa bed. So that could be your deciding factor for a party of four.

Let the planning begin. Thats half the fun. Im sure many on these boards will give you lots of info on the ports. Like I say both are wonderful, especially if you enjoy water activities.

Besides the additional space in an Owner's suite, it has a full size dining table inside the stateroom and a separate shower stall and bathtub.

Edited by clarea

I also prefer eastern with 3 sea days and mainly because I love St. Maarten. Have done Western and liked it but it (Allure) also had 3 sea days because it doesn't do Grand Cayman. The Freedom is awesome, probably my favorite and I do want to do a western one day to see Grand Cayman.

Many people knock Jamaica but we enjoyed it and I have seen many positive reviews on it as well.

One thing is for sure, either way you will have a blast and will love the ship!

Guess this really wasn't much help was it?:D

I did the FOS Eastern last year and loved it. CoCo Cay is one of my favorite stops along with St. Maarten. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and the Western route does give you a bit more room. I still vote Eastern.

Eastern is beach relaxation. Western, if you want, is adventure - zip lines on Labadee, river tubing and the Blue Hole in Jamaica, stingrays on Grand Cayman, drift snorkel in Cozumel.

Especially if teens are along, Western.

Just got off Freedom Western yesterday. Not sure why people bash Jamaica as we were a group of 6 and this was everyone's favorite day of the trip. Booked and excursion with Liberty Tours and had a wonderful day. If you prefer 3 days at sea just stay on the ship at one of the ports!

You didn't mention the ages of your children. My family includes 3 teens and we went on the FOS Western last year. My kids love adventure, so getting off at 4 different countries is a plus. We did the Blue Hole in Jamaica, a true high adventure excursion. This was their favorite thing on the whole cruise.

There are so many things to do in Jamaica. It just seems that a lot of the popular things are not close to the port. However, on the drive to see these places, you do get to see a lot of Jamaica.

Good luck!

We sailed on Freedom last month and did the Eastern route. We booked a return trip on Freedom next year on the Western route. If you just want to go to the beach, do the Eastern route. If you want more activity, do Western. If you choose the Eastern route, keep in mind that Coco Cay is not a guarantee. We had to miss this stop due to high winds. So we only had 2 port days. But we fell in love with Freedom. We have a 3yr old and had a balcony on deck 10. We managed to book the same cabin next year. IMO, you can't go wrong on any cruise you choose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Besides the additional space in an Owner's suite, it has a full size dining table inside the stateroom and a separate shower stall and bathtub.

not sure about Freedom, but I think I saw a bidet on Brilliance. so nice :p

Just got off Freedom Western yesterday. Not sure why people bash Jamaica as we were a group of 6 and this was everyone's favorite day of the trip. Booked and excursion with Liberty Tours and had a wonderful day. If you prefer 3 days at sea just stay on the ship at one of the ports!

staying on a practically empty ship is not quite the same as a sea day. no breeze, no activities, less food choices. plenty of chairs though. :D

Thanks for all the help guys one thing that disturbs us is the poosibility of missing cocoay on eastern, 3 sea days is nice, but 4? does anyone have experience or knowledge about that? thanks

We had this happen to us on our cruise on Freedom in May. Bad luck with weather. For me, 4 sea days is a bit much only because I have a 3yr old. It happened to us back when we sailed previously in Grand Cayman and we didnt mind it so much. We just hung out by the pools and enjoyed not being at work. It all depends on what you like. If the chance for missing one port would derail your cruise, then go Western. Keep in mind that you tender in Grand Cayman as well so you have the possibility there to miss, but you still have 3 other ports. If you choose the Eastern route, I highly recommend going to St. John when you get to St. Thomas. It was the most beautiful beach we have ever been to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Hi - We are going on Freedom Eastern Dec 14. It will be me, my sister, my 18 year old daughter & niece. They really want to swim with dolphins. I think the western itinerary would have been better for this but I got a good deal on this cruise. I plan on reviewing each port of call but wondered if anyone on this post might know if any of the eastern ports have a good program for swimming with the dolphins.

Thank you

Sue

Hey Sue and yeah my kids sort of want to do dolphins, i have seen dolphin shore excursion for jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel but for st thomas and st martin they both require a boat ride to a nearby island, for st thomas (Tortola), and st martin (anguilla)

Hey Sue and yeah my kids sort of want to do dolphins, i have seen dolphin shore excursion for jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel but for st thomas and st martin they both require a boat ride to a nearby island, for st thomas (Tortola), and st martin (anguilla)

I prefer Eastern but if you choose western Chankanaab Park in Cozumel has swims with dolphins, manatees, and sea lions. It is a short ride from the port and is about $10. There is so much to do there, we are going again in October.

CoCo Cay is hit or miss. I have been lucky and have never missed the stop, but others have the opposite experience. I usually cruise in February and/or October, but I don't know if that even makes a difference.

As a previous poster said, it's a personal choice. For us. We LOVE the eastern Caribbean! Can't get enough of St John!!! The only port we enjoy on the western itinerary is Grand Cayman.

Edited by ciera123

Hi - thanks for the info. I will check out Tortola & Anguilla to see the dolphin excursions. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We have done the Western 5 times now and love the 4 stops on a 7 day cruise !twice in an OS and three times in a GS! The extra room in the OS is worth it for us . Also, if you decide on the Western cruise, the starboard side room get a better view of the ports as you arrive , (normally). You will have the option of a cabana in Labadee also !