How much do you feel the rocking of the ship?

On all our cruises, we've tried to get on deck 6 or 7 because we know that's more or less midship and you won't feel the rocking of the boat too badly.

HOWEVER....my mother is going on her first ever cruise in January and she's booked into a porthole room on deck 2. So how bad is the rocking down there?:confused:

I've already warned her to make sure she takes seasick meds or one of those patch things with her, just in case.

It is actually more stable lower down. (Lower and center is how you want to go.)

But chances are, she'll still be on the upper decks taking part in activities, so if she is prone to sea sickness, she should bring meds.

Personally, there is usually only one day with heavy waves on each cruise where I can even tell I'm on a boat. They are always so still.

Edited by skittl1321

On all our cruises, we've tried to get on deck 6 or 7 because we know that's more or less midship and you won't feel the rocking of the boat too badly.

HOWEVER....my mother is going on her first ever cruise in January and she's booked into a porthole room on deck 2. So how bad is the rocking down there?:confused:

I've already warned her to make sure she takes seasick meds or one of those patch things with her, just in case.

the further down the better as long as it's close to the midpoint

We usually can't feel the ship rocking at all, much to our dismay. The one time we really felt it was a night when we got a small storm. Nothing major, but you could definitely feel it.

Pro tip: if you ever experience a night like that, GO GET SOME ALCOHOL. It's 10x more effective than usual.

The amount of rocking is dependent on the seas. It is further complicated that some areas of the ship will feel seas from one direction more than others. For example, in the bow you tend to feel more of a slam motion if encountering head seas. Higher up you will tend to notice a side sea more though stabilizers offset this to some degree. Also remember higher up will rock side to side more than midships lower down.

You can feel at least some movement all the time. You are on a moving vessel, floating in fluid. Occasionally you will have a day that it is so calm you feel very little, but that is rare in my experience.

Only once has it been bad enough for me to take real notice, typically its just a gentle side to side sway. The time it was very bad, we were coming back across the gulf into a cold front and the wind was howling and seas were over 20'. That was pretty impressive. We had blue water up to deck 4 on occasion.

We always book midship balcony on either deck 7 or 8 and only once really felt the rocking. Last Jan 1 day out of Hawaii we encountered high seas, believe they said they were the worst in 15 or so years. Had a few items fall off the counter.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

How loud will the noise from the anchor, etc be?

My mother is *not* the best of travellers, so this should be an interesting trip. A friend of hers who is going with 2 relatives asked my mom to come along so she (the friend) would have a room mate. Mom doesn't drink, doesn't do a lot of sun, isn't sure if she wants to get off the ship on port days...

I kinda wish I could be a fly on the wall during her trip, just to see what goes on.:p

It can also depend on which ship they booked. Some you feel more than others. But to me if the seas are bad enough to make the ship really rock you are going to feel it to some degree no matter where you are. That has just been my experience.

Haven't been on that one. Where we live in Texas is about the same driving distance to Galveston or New Orleans and my husband would rather leave from NOLA so that is usually the port we do. I have some friends who have sailed her I will ask them what it was like when they went.

Rolling is not the only issue, there is also "pitching", which is an up-down movement forward and aft along the lateral axis of the ship. Yes, you can get them both at the same time! I dare say that pitching might make some sicker than rolling.

The stabilizers can only do so much, and they do not control pitch, just roll.

Lower mid-ships, as stated above, will be the most stable, but in rough seas not motion free either.

I've experienced "force 12" seas (the highest rank on the Beaufort scale), and thankfully on an ocean liner (QE2 and QM2), and it is still a challenge on board to move about. I've been through the plates and glasses sliding off tables, and books falling on me from shelves in the library. Also experienced the propellers coming out of the water when the bow pitches down and the stern pitches up. You can't ignore the momentary vibration from that.

Yes, you walk "drunk" when no hand rails are at your avail, and when in bed, the pitching can make you rise above your bed! Been there, done that, but I was near the stern.

You are on the high seas, and mother nature can dish up quite a motion treat when she is in the mood!

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Picture1.jpg

Triumphwave.jpg

cruising-nightmare-2.jpg

article-0-03329379000005DC-194_634x355.jpg

My first cruise was on the Triumph, we loved that ship! Haven't been on her since her dry dock, but hopefully some day. That cruise, they had the stabilizers out often, and we really only had one night of rougher seas. No big deal, we loved it, but a lot of people were sick that night. We slept our best ever on the Triumph!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Rolling is not the only issue, there is also "pitching", which is an up-down movement forward and aft along the lateral axis of the ship. Yes, you can get them both at the same time! I dare say that pitching might make some sicker than rolling.

Lower mid-ships, as stated above, will be the most stable, but in rough seas not motion free either.

I've experienced "force 12" seas (the highest rank on the Beaufort scale), and thankfully on an ocean liner (QE2 and QM2), and it is still a challenge on board to move about. I've been through the plates and glasses sliding off tables, and books falling on me from shelves in the library. Also experienced the propellers coming out of the water when the bow pitches down and the stern pitches up. You can't ignore the momentary vibration from that.

Yes, you walk "drunk" when no hand rails are at your avail, and when in bed, the pitching can make you rise above your bed! Been there, done that, but I was near the stern.

You are on the high seas, and mother nature can dish up quite a motion treat when she is in the mood!

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Picture1.jpg

Triumphwave.jpg

cruising-nightmare-2.jpg

article-0-03329379000005DC-194_634x355.jpg

Holy cow and no thank you!!! :)

It also depends on what time of year you depart. On our first cruise (both cruises on Magic) the seas were relatively calm, but you still felt movement, especially in the front main theater, that was April. We went again in Dec/Jan, and the seas were a little angrier. Our first cruise, we were on deck 1 midship with no issues, our second time, we were on deck 8 forward and noticed a big difference. There were many times walking through the fun shops where we would hit a few big waves and thought everything was going to come off the shelves, plus it was really fun to walk through those rough seas.

On some cruises the seas are glassy and you will feel no motion! On trips where the seas are above 10 ft., you will feel it. And you won't just feel it in your cabin....you'll feel it everywhere. The front of the ship takes the brunt of major wave action....so being somewhat midships is best (think of a see-saw...the middle doesn't have the percieved motion that the ends do!)

A couple of years ago, NYC had a very minor earthquake (we're talking something like 2.5 on the richter scale). I work in a very tall building. On the 39th floor we all felt the sway and shimmy when it happened. As fire warden I got right on the emergency phone to the security desk, who are on the first floor. They didn't even feel it, and thought we were all nuts until the news started reporting the incident a couple of minutes later. So yeah, the motion is magnified the higher up you are.

As for movement, entirely dependent on weather. Two years ago I was on the Miracle which was being chased by a storm (Irene, I think). The last day at sea the ship was pitching pretty good. Last year on the Valor, for the entire week we barely moved, to the point that there were some times I woke up and thought we had stopped.

There will always be some motion wherever you are on the ship and depending upon the condition of the ocean during your cruise that may be either a lot or a little. I know for me personally I only get seasick at night, its weird I know but I've been that way since I was a little kid.

We felt little if anything!! Our room was on lido deck I think around mid section I think the only time we felt anything was coming home we were punching it I think a little to get out of the path of Katrina. ( Katrina hit about a week after we got home). We're booked on magic 2220 this time out of Galveston forward 2nd level. I hope we don't feel too much. We felt more after we got off the ship

So true and something people often forget.

LuLu