hotel in San Diego

oofroggie

Will only be there for a few hours so don't need anything fancy just a bed to catch a cat nap in. looking for something inexpensive as only there for about 10 hours. Plane gets in about midnight and want to get to the ship for lunch.

Will only be there for a few hours so don't need anything fancy just a bed to catch a cat nap in. looking for something inexpensive as only there for about 10 hours. Plane gets in about midnight and want to get to the ship for lunch.

Wyndam Hotel across the street from the terminal.

Another vote for the Wyndham across the street from the cruise terminal. When we stayed there a few years ago it was called the Holiday Inn By The Bay. There is a very nice restaurant attached to it and if you have a tower room facing the port you can watch your ship come in in the morning.

The hotel provided a free shuttle to the port for guests and their luggage. Even though it is only across the street, that street is extremely busy and the shuttle is the most convenient way to go. It was free but you had to book your time at the podium in the lobby the morning of the cruise.

We found the staff very friendly and it would be our hotel of choice should we ever sail out of San Diego again.

Should you need drugstore supplies prior to embarkation just walk out of the hotel and turn right to the intersection. Turn right again away from the water and walk a couple of blocks. After you cross the railway tracks you will see a drugstore up ahead on the left side of the street. The name RiteAid comes to mind but I stand to be corrected on that one. The walk would not be more than five minutes.

Edited by sapper1

We like the Hampton Inn and when we stayed there this past May, I noticed the trains no longer blow whistles as they pass by so you don't hear them. The Inn also had the best breakfast I have had in recent times including some hot sausage and eggs so it was more than Continental. A shuttle is also run to the ship.

The wyndam is not cheap. I was going to stay there in may but the price was about $250. For about $25 more I stayed at the westgate and it's 100 times better than the Wyndham. If you look away from the downtown area prices will be more reasonable.

Try the Best Western Plus Hacienda in Old Town or the La Quinta Inn Old Town

I read this a few times to see if you were joking (assuming that you can walk). I would hope that it was a free shuttle! Harbor Drive isn't really that busy and there are crosswalks with traffic lights. You should try the six-lane boulevard by my house at during rush hours if you want to see busy.....

If one is keen on taking a shuttle or a taxi, then there are much nicer hotels within a mile of the port.

igraf

San Diego

....The hotel provided a free shuttle to the port for guests and their luggage. Even though it is only across the street, that street is extremely busy and the shuttle is the most convenient way to go. It was free but you had to book your time at the podium in the lobby the morning of the cruise. ....

I read this a few times to see if you were joking (assuming that you can walk). I would hope that it was a free shuttle! Harbor Drive isn't really that busy and there are crosswalks with traffic lights. You should try the six-lane boulevard by my house at during rush hours if you want to see busy.....

If one is keen on taking a shuttle or a taxi, then there are much nicer hotels within a mile of the port.

igraf

San Diego

It was a free shuttle and considering we had four large bags plus carry ons we would have looked pretty silly trying to wrestle them up to the corner and across the street unaided.

The shuttle was very busy and, given the older age of many HAL cruisers, was very much appreciated.

One expects to be ridiculed when offering an opinion on a controversial topic but hardly when one is trying to be helpful to fellow cruisers who, for one reason or another, may find it a Godsend to receive help in getting their luggage across the street.

As to whether or not I can walk, I make it a point to walk several miles each day, whether at the gym or on the street.

Edited by sapper1

It was a free shuttle and considering we had four large bags plus carry ons we would have looked pretty silly trying to wrestle them up to the corner and across the street unaided.

The shuttle was very busy and, given the older age of many HAL cruisers, was very much appreciated.

One expects to be ridiculed when offering an opinion on a controversial topic but hardly when one is trying to be helpful to fellow cruisers who, for one reason or another, may find it a Godsend to receive help in getting their luggage across the street.

As to whether or not I can walk, I make it a point to walk several miles each day, whether at the gym or on the street.

I never schlep luggage either :D

Too much of a hassle.

And yes we walk too. We just don't like struggling:D

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn several times with no problem with train noises at night. The free airport and cruise ship shuttles were great but your late arrival will more than likely require a taxi, breakfast was very good, service was wonderful. and it was much cheaper than the Wyndam, which I do admit has great views.

Thanks for asking and I am taking note of all hotels mentioned. DH will be getting off our cruise next spring in San Diego and staying overnight to catch the only direct flight home. So I am looking at Sand Diego hotels that are close to both the port and the airport, hopefully we can get him to the hotel and then spend the day at the zoo before we reboard! Time will tell.

3of4 have more sense and are staying aboard until we reach Vancouver:D

Another vote for the Wyndham across the street from the cruise terminal. When we stayed there a few years ago it was called the Holiday Inn By The Bay. There is a very nice restaurant attached to it and if you have a tower room facing the port you can watch your ship come in in the morning.

The hotel provided a free shuttle to the port for guests and their luggage. Even though it is only across the street, that street is extremely busy and the shuttle is the most convenient way to go. It was free but you had to book your time at the podium in the lobby the morning of the cruise.

We found the staff very friendly and it would be our hotel of choice should we ever sail out of San Diego again.

We also like this hotel, but found it was actually a slightly shorter walk to the ship from our room than from our room to the front desk to catch the shuttle! We were in a separate tower that is close to the pier. Easy walk across the street by a traffic signal.

DaveOKC

Thanks for the info. I have reservations there in December and had no idea how we would get the luggage to the terminal. Hated the thought of calling a taxi to take us across the street. Because I'll have my scooter there is no way DH could drag all our luggage alone across the street. Your info was helpful.

The area encompassing the San Diego airport, downtown, zoo and port is actually very compact. Longest driving distance is perhaps two miles. I would just select the hotel that you like the most and not worry about the exact location.

A really great hotel that is near all points that you mentioned would be the US Grant.

igraf

Thanks for asking and I am taking note of all hotels mentioned. DH will be getting off our cruise next spring in San Diego and staying overnight to catch the only direct flight home. So I am looking at Sand Diego hotels that are close to both the port and the airport, hopefully we can get him to the hotel and then spend the day at the zoo before we reboard! Time will tell.

Thanks for the info. I have reservations there in December and had no idea how we would get the luggage to the terminal. Hated the thought of calling a taxi to take us across the street. Because I'll have my scooter there is no way DH could drag all our luggage alone across the street. Your info was helpful.

Be mindful that the shuttle was there as a perk when it was a Holiday Inn. I have no reason to believe the new owners would do away with a selling feature like that but a quick email to the hotel might be in order.

It is a call that taxi drivers might not appreciate too much so the shuttle makes sense. We were also picked up at the airport at no charge.

Edited by sapper1

Be mindful that the shuttle was there as a perk when it was a Holiday Inn. I have no reason to believe the new owners would do away with a selling feature like that but a quick email to the hotel might be in order.

It is a call that taxi drivers might not appreciate too much so the shuttle makes sense. We were also picked up at the airport at no charge.

The hotel did mention a free shuttle when I booked - but at that time I didn't realize the hotel was across the street from the cruise terminal. I thought it was a few blocks down the street. After some google exploring I saw the Wyndham was very close to the terminal and started wondering if people were expected to walk across the street. I shall call them as it gets closer to our cruise date and confirm they still offer the shuttle.

The hotel did mention a free shuttle when I booked - but at that time I didn't realize the hotel was across the street from the cruise terminal. I thought it was a few blocks down the street. After some google exploring I saw the Wyndham was very close to the terminal and started wondering if people were expected to walk across the street. I shall call them as it gets closer to our cruise date and confirm they still offer the shuttle.

Good. I m glad you saw my reply.

Sorry for any offense. Non intended.

There was another thread where someone mentioned the free shuttle from the Pan Pacific hotel to Canada Place in Vancouver, BC! Reminds me of the old joke about how Californians love their cars so much that we drive to go across the street.

When we last embarked in Montreal, the sidewalks were full of passengers towing suitcases from old Montreal hotels to the pier. The distance was several blocks.

igraf

Sorry for any offense. Non intended.

There was another thread where someone mentioned the free shuttle from the Pan Pacific hotel to Canada Place in Vancouver, BC! Reminds me of the old joke about how Californians love their cars so much that we drive to go across the street.

When we last embarked in Montreal, the sidewalks were full of passengers towing suitcases from old Montreal hotels to the pier. The distance was several blocks.

igraf

We're cool. :)

We have stayed at the Wyndam last December and had a rate of $110. Just booked them again for New Years and the rate was $118.50. They have a AAA discount so ask. They are close, the staff is friendly and very helpfull and the pub rrestraunt for breakfast is good. We also park there thru Park & Fly and usually pay a rate of about $ 55. to $60. dollars[ for the cruise week that we are gone. Very convenient for sure.:):):)I]