out door pool in Alaska

Ballard67

So Is swimming in the out door pools doable in late Aug, maybe there heated?. We are on the solstice leaving Seattle Aug the 29th

My DS used the outdoor pool on our Alaskan cruise, but we had temps in the high 70's the entire trip. In fact we took strategic photos while he was in the pool with a glacier in the background. If you do go in the pool I suggest you have towels close by since the excitement of the moment went away as soon as he was exposed to the cool air. There were also lots of people using the outdoor Jacuzzi's.

We were on the May 30th cruise out of Seattle. Had a great time. I did see some people in the outdoor pool on the nicer days. Your living in Seattle. I wore shorts most of the time during the day. Have a great cruise.

Edited by bigbenboys
add more

Thanks, I am not worried about after words,getting out of the pool. Its when you are in the pool LOL.Its funny as kids/teenagers we use to swim in the Puget sound all the time, where the water stays a toasty 50 to 55 degrees. Now LOL since those days i have not spent many days swimming in the sound. I am going to get us some bath coatss for the walk back to the room:)

Alaska weather can really vary. On one cruise we had 80's in Ketchikan, and then 50's by the time we got to Juneau. So alot will depend on what the weather is on your cruise. You may be able to swim when you are further south; very doubtful as you cruise north.

The outdoor pool was not heated to my knowledge. We were on Solstice in May and did attempt to get in the outdoor pool but quickly changed our minds. It wasn't freezing in the pool but it wasn't warm enough for me. We did use the indoor pool several times and it was slightly heated (maybe 85 degrees) and we loved the outdoor hot tubs but it is VERY cold getting out. Have robes and towels at the ready

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

So our cruise is at the end of Aug. Here In Seattle our summer is in full tilt,most of the time LOL So southern Alaska, whats the temps on the cruise circuit like, i know you can never really predict the weather, i am just trying get a little gauge on temps

It will be 60-65 neighborhood. The last cruise I took to Alaska I never needed more than a raincoat (May 2014) but bring a heavycoat just in case. I have been there in July (2012) when it was freezing in Skagway. Next time it was sweater weather (July 2013). Layers are in order.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

60-65?:eek: really...to me that is spring weather;)..........

I have been to Alaska 3 times.......twice in May and once in September

and I needed layers all 3 cruises.......in my opinion, it was COLD.

65 is lovely:D......

I haven't been in 5 years but I was looking at all my photos and

in all of them I was in long sleeves and sweaters almost every day.

To the original poster, I would suggest looking at weather.com

about a week or so before you leave.....that would give you a better

idea of what the temps will be for the week of your cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful time:D